• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Faxon barrel looks really cruddy inside + rips patches? What should I do?

Long Range

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2014
I'm not too happy about this. This is a new 10.5" faxon pencil barrel I purchased. After building the rifle and doing the first cleaning, the inside of the barrel looked all cruddy, like it has had a lot of rounds through it. I though maybe that was from the factory test firing the barrel?? Do barrel manufactures even do that and send you a barrel with gun powder still in it?

Here is link to exact barrel I bought. I bought the barrel from a different online retailer.

I then started to clean it and it doesn't come clean, the crud just sits there and the inside doesn't look shiny. I also noticed that when running patches through they get stuck at one point and kind of rip the cloth patch after getting stuck maybe at that point?

I've never seen anything like this and all my barrels are very shiny and reflective, even after firing many rounds through them.

I also just bought a 11.5" faxon pencil that was new and that was shiny inside. I checked my 16" faxon pencil that I actually fired at the range many times and after running a single CLP patch through it was shinny and looked new.

Since I purchased this a few months back am I pretty much stuck with this? What would you guys do, I am kind of bummed about the whole thing. I have no idea what all that crud is and it can't be cleaned.

YES, lesson learned, I will check all barrels the day I receive them in the mail.

What should I do in this situation? What is all that stuff in the barrel?

Thanks for help here.

Not sure if you are stuck with it, you would have to contact Faxon to know that answer and I would recommend you start there. I've had good luck with Faxon barrels though I've never needed their customer service. Let us know what they say.

Noticed it says QPQ. Perhaps the salts weren't properly neutralized or it went into the tank with an unclean bore. As to torn patches, my guess is burring around the gas port. I'd contact Faxon before trying to "fix" it.

Reactions: Baron23
Noticed it says QPQ. Perhaps the salts weren't properly neutralized or it went into the tank with an unclean bore. As to torn patches, my guess is burring around the gas port. I'd contact Faxon before trying to "fix" it.

All it takes is one bullet down the barrel to fix burs at the gas port.

You could always run that David Tubb stuff... Final Finish bullet or whatever. Not sure if that'd be ok to run in a gas gun lol

What should I do in this situation?

Install it correctly, go to the range with some match grade ammo and SHOOT it. If it consistently shoots like shit, and you are NOT the reason then consider it a lesson learned: don’t cheap out on the barrel.

This is the second thread you started, bitching about Faxon barrels (here’s the other one). Why do you keep acquiring these things? For fucks sakes buy a quality tube from a reputable maker. There’s tons of them, Daniel Defense, BCM, LMT, Krieger, Ballistic Advantage just to name a few.

BTW, is your SCAR still shaking when you shoot it?

You could always run that David Tubb stuff... Final Finish bullet or whatever. Not sure if that'd be ok to run in a gas gun lol

That's not a bad suggestion and yes, it does work on gas rifles. I started using the Final Finish and TMS products on my National Match ARs when I competed in highpower rifle.

Not sure why anyone would think they wouldn't work on a gas rifle. The bullet and the barrel don't care.

Reactions: Gustav7
Install it correctly, go to the range with some match grade ammo and SHOOT it. If it consistently shoots like shit, and you are NOT the reason then consider it a lesson learned: don’t cheap out on the barrel.

This is the second thread you started, bitching about Faxon barrels (here’s the other one). Why do you keep acquiring these things? For fucks sakes buy a quality tube from a reputable maker. There’s tons of them, Daniel Defense, BCM, LMT, Krieger, Ballistic Advantage just to name a few.

There's no helping some people.

That's not a bad suggestion and yes, it does work on gas rifles. I started using the Final Finish and TMS products on my National Match ARs when I competed in highpower rifle.

Not sure why anyone would think they wouldn't work on a gas rifle. The bullet and the barrel don't care.

I was trying to remember who brought it up to me, and I think it was you.

No Idea, but didn't wanna say it wouldn't and then someone had some weird experience where it did.

Faxon makes good barrels.

Everyone gets a random bad one out the door.

The fact that he can't figure out how to call them and get an rma should tell you about the op.

I'm not too happy about this. This is a new 10.5" faxon pencil barrel I purchased. After building the rifle and doing the first cleaning, the inside of the barrel looked all cruddy, like it has had a lot of rounds through it. I though maybe that was from the factory test firing the barrel?? Do barrel manufactures even do that and send you a barrel with gun powder still in it?

Here is link to exact barrel I bought. I bought the barrel from a different online retailer.

I then started to clean it and it doesn't come clean, the crud just sits there and the inside doesn't look shiny. I also noticed that when running patches through they get stuck at one point and kind of rip the cloth patch after getting stuck maybe at that point?

I've never seen anything like this and all my barrels are very shiny and reflective, even after firing many rounds through them.

I also just bought a 11.5" faxon pencil that was new and that was shiny inside. I checked my 16" faxon pencil that I actually fired at the range many times and after running a single CLP patch through it was shinny and looked new.

Since I purchased this a few months back am I pretty much stuck with this? What would you guys do, I am kind of bummed about the whole thing. I have no idea what all that crud is and it can't be cleaned.

YES, lesson learned, I will check all barrels the day I receive them in the mail.

What should I do in this situation? What is all that stuff in the barrel?

Thanks for help here.
Call them you are king the customer every body at every shoot will find out what poor quality their products are bad publicity travels far and wide for free good quality products and services have to be earned and by the sounds of it they aren't doing very well

Faxon makes good barrels.

Everyone gets a random bad one out the door.

The fact that he can't figure out how to call them and get an rma should tell you about the op.

I personally think he’s is some sort of troll. he knows what he should do but instead wants to bitch and moan on the net instead of taking those next steps.

No reason the internet should ever know about folks’ gear problems unless the individual first tried to address the issue(s) with the retailer, supplier or manufacturer and was unable to get resolution and/or told to go fuck himself. Then I can understand reaching out to the community for help.

Reactions: lash and 308pirate
I contacted them a couple of days ago and they are going to send me a new barrel.

I'm not experienced as you guys when it comes to this stuff.

Maybe this crud would be normal on some barrels and part of the process of constructing it.

Better to know what is up to make a plan on how to get the problem resolved, rather than finding out after I was denied a return. I didn't know they would exchange barrels so easily also.

For those interested here are pics of the crud inside the barrel that would not clean out. These pictures are after I ran a lot of patches down them, and also solvent. Then I took a picture of a brand new 11.5" faxon pencil barrel and you can see its shiny smooth.

What do you think all that crud is? Hopefully you can see why I was a bit concerned.

Z7hwcx3.jpg

dSH476K.jpg

6huWvER.jpg

1ac4wF7.jpg

BELOW is another FAXON Pencil barrel that is shiny smooth, these are how all my barrels look.

Z0b6hSh.jpg

7pt6wFo.jpg

I contacted them a couple of days ago and they are going to send me a new barrel.

I'm not experienced as you guys when it comes to this stuff.

Maybe this crud would be normal on some barrels and part of the process of constructing it.

Better to know what is up to make a plan on how to get the problem resolved, rather than finding out after I was denied a return. I didn't know they would exchange barrels so easily also.

I'm glad they are taking care of you. I figured they would. I have no clue what is in that barrel. If you would have been stuck with it, I would have reccomended plugging the end and filling it with solvent and leaving in the corner for a week before brushing it thoroughly but luckily you will not have to do that.

Just an update. Faxon did send me another 10.5" barrel.

However, it has the same issue again, not as bad but the same issue.

I'm having such bad luck here.

What would you guys do if you got two bad barrels in a row like this? How common is this?

Here are the pictures of my 2nd barrel, it's not as bad as the first but its still a deal breaker and really bothers me. I don't want to have a barrel that looks dirty all the time.

YES I tried cleaning this barrel and that crud and pitting will not come off.

LslsrnD.jpg

0IpfN3d.jpg

9lUYerI.jpg

Y2X7OU9.jpg

If your not getting the barrels that you want, buy a different brand.

Yes, the only thing is I was looking for really light weight battle builds here and it seems the lightest barrels are these faxon pencil barrels. Trying to find other manufactures that have just as light barrels.

Yes, the only thing is I was looking for really light weight battle builds here and it seems the lightest barrels are these faxon pencil barrels. Trying to find other manufactures that have just as light barrels.

Almost everyone makes a pencil barrel. I've put about 2k rounds through my PSA premium pencil weight and I love it. The premium, if you haven't looked at them, uses FN's "machine gun" barrel steel and is double chrome lined. Bought mine with a pinned gas glock. It has been flawless with and without a suppressor and never looked like that lol. I've had two PSA premium barrels and both have been great.

Get rid of that junk lol

Shit, when I receive a new barrel, I pull a boresnake through and go shooting.

OP, patches are useless for initial cleaning. Get a bronze bore brush and go back and forth a couple/few times with some solvent. Your QPQ barrel has a surface hardiness of 80-90 Rc. No commercially available gun bore brush will do damage (we push bullets down these barrels with high pressure/heat gasses!)

About 10-15 pieces of cylindrical, secant cone-shaped, malleable metal being extruded through that bore in front of about 50,000-ish psi should do the trick.

Last edited:
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why barrel makers should be using gas nitride instead of a salt bath.

Im glad they're taking care of you. I had a very bad experience with a Faxon gunner profile barrel and then my customer service interaction afterwards.