• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New for 2023 Optics

Does anyone have a video or manual describing how the Shuriken locks on the March scopes work?
-Stan
Here is a link to the announcement of the shuriken locks on a current March scope. Notice the pictures on the page. They are a good close-up of the locks. It shows locked and unlocked states.

It only requires is a 90-degree flick of one of the 4 points on top of the knob to actuate the locking mechanism. It does not move by accident, you have to push it, and since it is so low to the knob, there's nothing to snag. There is also an indicator that shows the status; red is locked, white is unlocked. There are 4 indicators around the top of the knob, and they are visible from position, no need to pull the riflescope to your face.

On the elevation knob, you will also see the 0-set (0-stop) mechanism. Just use a coin or something similar, and turn it, going down to set the 0-stop. To remove the 0-stop, turn the coin the other way and bring it back up. Easy peasy. and you can see at a glance if the 0-stop is set (the slot is below the top of the knob.) It doesn't get any easier than that.

It appears that DEON is putting these shuriken locks on all their new designs. I'm waiting anxiously for the March-X 8-80X56 HM with the wide-angle eyepiece, the new F-class reticle and it comes with shuriken locks. I love the 0-set of these knobs. I'm not too worried about locking the knobs but since we can travel quite a bit for various matches, locking the knobs is not a bad idea in transit. (Or when you let someone look through your scope and they instinctively grab the windage knob for some reason.)

Last edited:
Here is a link to the announcement of the shuriken locks on a current March scope. Notice the pictures on the page. They are a good close-up of the locks. It shows locked and unlocked states.

It only requires is a 90-degree flick of one of the 4 points on top of the knob to actuate the locking mechanism. It does not move by accident, you have to push it, and since it is so low to the knob, there's nothing to snag. There is also an indicator that shows the status; red is locked, white is unlocked. There are 4 indicators around the top of the knob, and they are visible from position, no need to pull the riflescope to your face.

On the elevation knob, you will also see the 0-set (0-stop) mechanism. Just use a coin or something similar, and turn it, going down to set the 0-stop. To remove the 0-stop, turn the coin the other way and bring it back up. Easy peasy. and you can see at a glance if the 0-stop is set (the slot is below the top of the knob.) It doesn't get any easier than that.

It appears that DEON is putting these shuriken locks on all their new designs. I'm waiting anxiously for the March-X 8-80X56 HM with the wide-angle eyepiece, the new F-class reticle and it comes with shuriken locks. I love the 0-set of these knobs. I'm not too worried about locking the knobs but since we can travel quite a bit for various matches, locking the knobs is not a bad idea in transit. (Or when you let someone look through your scope and they instinctively grab the windage knob for some reason.)

Thank you @Denys!

-Stan

You're quite welcome. I think you will like these knobs with the shuriken locks and the 0-set. The ones I tested had great tactile feel and were very positive in the click. It's hard to describe, of course. This was just a test setup and it's long gone back whence it came. I know I want those knobs on the next riflescope. Before someone asks, I do not know if they can be retrofitted to an existing riflescope.

Last edited:
March has said they are not able to retrofit existing scopes with Shuriken lock because it requires a different erector housing than current scopes. The Shuriken lock works as a dial switch on top of the elevation and windage turrets, you simply twist the switch to turn on (locked) and the turret will not move, you turn the switch off (unlocked) and you are able to spin the turrets, simple as that.

I officially, simultaneously, blame and thank @TheOE800, @Denys, and @Glassaholic for pushing me over the edge into pre-ordering a March-FX "Wide Angle" 4.5-28x52mm with the PDKI reticle from Eurooptic.

It will be to me in 30-60 days.

Methinks the PDKI will be more eye and brain friendly to me than the EBR-7C on my Vortex.

-Stan

Reactions: Denys and TheOE800
I officially, simultaneously, blame and thank @TheOE800, @Denys, and @Glassaholic for pushing me over the edge into pre-ordering a March-FX "Wide Angle" 4.5-28x52mm with the PDKI reticle from Eurooptic.

Methinks the PDKI will be more eye and brain friendly to me than the EBR-7C on my Vortex.

-Stan
DD1FC061-4D53-4D86-9FC8-9328EE6D0039.gif

-Stan
I don't recall pushing anyone, certainly a nudge, but not a push :LOL:

Reactions: stanley_white
I'll be looking forward to your impressions on the PDKI reticle. :cool:
Will do!

The bigger dot will help my eyes, the hashes near the dot I think will enable it to work well at lower powers, and the hash marks all being the same size along with the numbers on the horizontal line will help my brain. :)

-Stan

It will be just like w/a friend sets U up on a "blind date", and up until she shows up, all kinds of crazy stuff is going thru UR mind.

She shows up and U feel like U won the Lotto.

If U don't love the feel of the March rt out of the box, I owe U a DBL cheezeburger, a coke, and some fries.

Or a veggie burger if that's the way U roll.

"It will be to me in 30-60 days."........ Like my kids tell me when I'm excited and waiting for something.....

"Aw Dad, CHILL"

Last edited:
It will be just like w/a friend sets U up on a "blind date", and up until she shows up, all kinds of crazy stuff is going thru UR mind.

She shows up and U feel like U won the Lotto.

If U don't love the feel of the March rt out of the box, I owe U a DBL cheezeburger, a coke, and some fries.

Or a veggie burger if that's the way U roll.

"It will be to me in 30-60 days."........ Like my kids tell me when I'm excited and waiting for something.....

"Aw Dad, CHILL"
Like this kind of blind date

Now THAT'S FUNNY.

Still a pretty good looking woman, all she needs is a "LITTLE TRAINING."

One good thing, your scope won't be doing that. LOL

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Glassaholic
I’m wondering the same.
I'm in a holding pattern over this optic. To me it comes down to the Primary Arms Platinum, this SAI 1-8x or the ATACR DM-X as my choices. NF is in the lead. Price no object up to 3k.

Looking for a fighting optic up to 8x max. Already have the G3 Vortex.

Reactions: JulianD and jh2785
I'm in a holding pattern over this optic. To me it comes down to the Primary Arms Platinum, this SAI 1-8x or the ATACR DM-X as my choices. NF is in the lead. Price no object up to 3k.

Looking for a fighting optic up to 8x max. Already have the G3 Vortex.
From what I've read, that Primary Arms PLX-c 1-8 is VERY impressive. The ATACR field of view kills it for me with its price.

Last edited:
Reactions: TacticalPlinker
The 1-8 which I thought was considered by most to be the best lpvo...
Is it? :sneaky:

Claims of "best..." always seems to break out the popcorn here, I'm not going to argue with you but which scope are you thinking could be better? The SAI8 (which is rumor mill so far) or the PA? I doubt either of these will put enough pressure on NF.

Is it? :sneaky:

Claims of "best..." always seems to break out the popcorn here, I'm not going to argue with you but which scope are you thinking could be better? The SAI8 (which is rumor mill so far) or the PA? I doubt either of these will put enough pressure on NF.
NF certainly has the best looking through a straw imitation out there.

7BF04D42-1BE9-4E3B-9943-048FBB2C23C9.gif

Nothing from Vortex that I’ve heard. I know the new AMG team is together but no word on when.

I asked them about a Gen 2 AMG but they didn’t say anything one way or another. Just that they know there’s still demand for that type of higher end crossover style optic.

If they used the Gen 3 razor glass and zero system in a 5-30x package, maybe with a 52mm obj to keep weight around 32 Oz, they’d have another winner.

Reactions: echamp8
I asked them about a Gen 2 AMG but they didn’t say anything one way or another. Just that they know there’s still demand for that type of higher end crossover style optic.

If they used the Gen 3 razor glass and zero system in a 5-30x package, maybe with a 52mm obj to keep weight around 32 Oz, they’d have another winner.
You and I have a very different idea of what a crossover scope should be 😉. I thought what hindered the AMG was the 6-24 range (6x being too high for the low end for many hunters), if they had a 3.5-18 I think it would have outsold the 6-24. I begged and pleaded for them to come out with a 4-20 but now with thermals gaining so much acceptance it probably should be a 3-18 design under 30 ounces, preferably around 26. The LHT mag range of 4.5-22 is also a head scratcher and appeal to that scope I believe is also hindered by the mag range.

The LHT mag range of 4.5-22 is also a head scratcher and appeal to that scope I believe is also hindered by the mag range.
That is a weird mag range, isn't it? Happens to be perfect for me shooting pdogs with either a 22LR at close range (sub 125yrd) or a 17 Hornet / 204 at sub 300 yds with a light rifle.

But I can see for a lot of people it IS a weird zoom range.

For larger animals I'd want a 3-18 / 2-12 / 2-15 or something. Vortex must be targeting LR hunters? That Steiner T6xi 3-18 looks interesting, but is prob too heavy for you.

You are going to pass away without finding that goldilocks scope lol

That is a weird mag range, isn't it? Happens to be perfect for me shooting pdogs with either a 22LR at close range (sub 125yrd) or a 17 Hornet / 204 at sub 300 yds with a light rifle.

For larger animals I'd want a 3-18 / 2-12 / 2-15 or something. Vortex must be targeting LR hunters? That Steiner T6xi 3-18 looks interesting, but is prob too heavy for you.

I think if the LHT had a killer FOV the 4.5-22 mag range would be ok, would still prefer 4-20 though.

The combination of high-ish mag range yet limited to 12mils of elevation just seems odd to me.
I appreciate they needed to make compromises but IMO they made the wrong combination of compromises.

The scope obviously works for many people but I think it'd be more appealing in a lower mag range, 3.5-18 or 4-20

If the LHT was 3.5-18x50 it would be about as perfect as you can ask for at that price point. I loved mine except the bottom end mag wasn’t low enough. It had a great eyebox and sight picture to around 18x too.

I don’t even mind the 12mm turret limiter, that gets any cartridge worth a fuck to at least 1000 yards. Even on my 16” 6.5 it was enough to get to 1200 which is a long ways. If someone wants an ELR optic it’s a poor choice, but that’s not what it’s intended use is for. 12mils is plenty.

I miss those barking rodents :LOL:

I just got my Steiner 3-18x56 and love it, yes, I wish it was less than 34oz but 35oz is my personal limit for a crossover scope so it just squeaked in there, and a compromise I'm willing to make for good glass and 56mm objective.
You are absolutely correct on that, but there are some scopes that come close ;) But here's hoping the next AMG will be a 26ish ounce 3-18 with wide FOV throughout...

I just got my Steiner 3-18x56 and love it, yes, I wish it was less than 34oz but 35oz is my personal limit for a crossover scope so it just squeaked in there, and a compromise I'm willing to make for good glass and 56mm objective.
So the Steiner is nice?

I think if the LHT had a killer FOV the 4.5-22 mag range would be ok, would still prefer 4-20 though.

The combination of high-ish mag range yet limited to 12mils of elevation just seems odd to me.
I appreciate they needed to make compromises but IMO they made the wrong combination of compromises.

The scope obviously works for many people but I think it'd be more appealing in a lower mag range, 3.5-18 or 4-20

A wide field of view is actually a tricky thing to achieve in a riflescope. The March 4.5-28X52 has an FOV of 29.1 ft at 100yards @4.5X compared to the 23.5ft for the same in the LHT according to the Vortex website. The main reason some people prefer a lower mag low end like 4X is for the wider FOV that comes from the lower magnification. I get that. But when you can achieve the same FOV as a 4X scope at 4.5X, that starts getting interesting. What's really nice is that this increase is at all magnifications. For example, the LHT at its top end 22X has an FOV of 4.7feet at 100 yards. The March 4.5-28X52 has the exact same FOV of 4.7ft at 100 yards, but that's at 28X.

I have learned something about the challenges of getting a wider than usual FOV in riflescopes; it's not easy.

I’m really interested in the 2.5-15x50
Me too if they’ll ever put a good reticle in it.
An acquaintance gave me a less than favorable review. Not so much the IQ or optics, but the rest of the scope.
Well that stinks
Whole thread on the Steiner T6xi here:

Yeah except bill hadn't posted that he had one in there.

4-20 ultra short is what i want. That is a smidge more affordable than ZCO. Still think NF need to redo the 4-20. 4-20 AMG would also be great.

Reactions: echamp8 and Schaaf
Regarding the MPVO discussion, any considerations/opinions for the US Optics TS-12x?
3-12x44mm, 30mm tube, 18oz, super short 9.6 in, MHR Mil reticle in FFP (although no illumination), parallax 10yds-inf, locking turrets, most reviews claim decent-good glass, and only $595.00 list price.
It seems to tick all the boxes and from a great company in NC USA! I am trying to find a reason not to buy this scope.

Regarding the MPVO discussion, any considerations/opinions for the US Optics TS-12x?
3-12x44mm, 30mm tube, 18oz, super short 9.6 in, MHR Mil reticle in FFP (although no illumination), parallax 10yds-inf, locking turrets, most reviews claim decent-good glass, and only $595.00 list price.
It seems to tick all the boxes and from a great company in NC USA! I am trying to find a reason not to buy this scope.
It’s made in china. There’s your reason.