• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New Formula Reloder 15

Ed Nauseam

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2008
Lake Tahoe / Minden Nev.
I just received a container of Alliant Re - 15 and couldn't help but notice that, according to the label, the product is now manufactured here in the U.S.A. The product, for as long as I can recall had been an imported (Sweden) powder, so I was a bit surprised.
I turn the container to read the back label and there it is !<span style="font-style: italic">Polyester</span> ! Dirty ! Yuck !

I haven't yet had the opportunity to compare the old import with the new domestic version so, by all means, if you get out before I do, please give us a report, would you ?

Thanks A Bunch !

Re: New Formula Reloder 15

I just picked up a 5lb jug today, I didnt check the label but will check against the 5 pounders I already have.

Thanks for the heads up Ed.

Its been made in the US for about 3 years. I go through 20-30 pounds of it a year and have not noticed any changes signifigant changes since I started using it 10 years ago. FWIW, I believe the change had alot to do with the military using it for 7.62 sniper/match ammo.

FWIW, I just bought 5 one-pounders of Reloader 15 several days ago. They all say "Made in Sweden for Alliant Powders" on them. The date on the jugs is Feb 14, 2009. Didn't see anything about Polyester on the back label. Maybe there are two different formulas available at the same time!
grin.gif

My 5lb jug or RL15 is also Made in the USA and has a date of May 01, 2008 and on the back the lase ingredient is Polyester.

It has worked very well for me so far.

I'm not sure if I want my bullets waring a polyester leasure suit going down range...

It would seem that both types are still being made, wonder why.

Apparently, they (Alliant} have to keep up with demand, dag nabbit !
Look guys, things could be worse, at least the lower front label doesn't read as "Proudly Made in The PRC" :p

This is like deja vu, as A similar thing happened to me about a year and a half ago purchasing an 8# of H4895. That label read as being "Made In USA".

On another note -
Truth or Trash - The Sweeden variant Re-15 <span style="font-weight: bold">IS</span> Norma 203B (?)

Thanks for the replies everybody

My 5 lb'er of 17 has the same label as the one made in the USA but is marked made in Sweden. Let me clarify that. It shows Polyester as an ingredient.

Come on guys.... It's cloned in china. Damn, they copy everything.

So, does this mean its no longer blond with big jugs?

I'm kind of new to reloading what's the deal with polyester? Is it bad?

Its tacky... we prefer cashmere or silk... or maybe Italian wool.

People are just pointing out that the formula has changed. I wouldn't worry about it.

wonder if the 19,22 and 25 are the same. I just stocked up on a load of it. I gotta go check

I just looked at the last 5lb jug of RL22 and it shows the polyester but it says that it is made in Sweden. I'll look at some of older jugs tomorrow to see what they have on them.

David

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jn123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone loaded both types to compare accuracy/velocity? </div></div>

It just so happens I did today and found the Made in USA stuff slower by almost 100fps - all other factors being the same.

It is customary for me to check the chrony whenever I change powder lots. For the past several years I've used RE15 exclusively and there has hardly been any difference lot to lot. As a matter of fact I've even gotten lazy a few times and not check the chrony when I changed lots, I was that sure of it, and never had a problem. I recently ran out of my old (Made in Sweden) supply and noticed the new stuff I have (shows made Feb 09 I believe) has "Made in the USA" on it. Today I tested my tried and true load and found that whereas before my avg vel was 2715 @ 10' this new Made in the USA stuff avg'd only 2635. Haven't seen a lot to lot swing like this since the old Varget stuff of 5 or 6 years ago which lead me to RE15 to start with.

Would there be any problems mixing the two formulas together? I have a 5lb can & 4 1lb cans. I'm just starting a load & would like the powder to be consistant.

Heavy barrel...never mix lots different lots together...you can't be sure of the result and it may be veyr unpleasant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jn123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone loaded both types to compare accuracy/velocity? </div></div>

I did back a year ago and there was no diffrence 570 yards test side by side..