• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New from Ruger: Gunsite Scout Rifle

Re: New from Ruger: Gunsite Scout Rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bill Ruger did manufacture a semi-auto .308 circa 1985- called the XGI. Due to accuracy issues (please, Mini haters, I know it's tough to hold your tongue...) it was never put into full scale production.

I wish they'd just re-design the Mini-30 as a .308 semi-auto.</div></div>

For what reason would someone buy a Mini-308 over an M1A?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Fletcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A 10 round double stack magazine that extended no further than the bottom of the trigger guard might be OK.
</div></div>

use an alpha mag over an AICS ? the ten round mags are shorter !

i like the idea, but wouldn't buy one myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For what reason would someone buy a Mini-308 over an M1A? </div></div>

Stupidity...mania...delusional disorder...there are a whole host of valid, medical/psychiatric reasons why people do some of the highly questionable/suspect sh!t they do!!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Steyr is a pretty cool package, but it's lacking in execution in numerous areas. </div></div>

Which areas would those be?
Thanks. </div></div>

Personally, I've never been a fan of the aluminum receiver with press fit steel barrel. This configuration has been the source of problems over time and I personally feel that it reduces the usable life of the rifle. The "built-in" bipod legs in the stock are rickety and basically not usable. I understand that the "stone tablets" made it very difficult to accomplish the task of the "SCOUT Rifle According to Col. Cooper," and in concept the Steyr is pretty cool, but the execution could have been better.

Can the magazine be topped off while still in place or must it be removed from the rifle to add cartridges?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I've never been a fan of the aluminum receiver with press fit steel barrel.</div></div>Bingo! And the 'Gunsite' name can't cure the Ruger bolt-gun design brief.

I thought Ruger uses a steel receiver? The spec sheet says alloy steel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sideshowbob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought Ruger uses a steel receiver? The spec sheet says alloy steel. </div></div>

The Ruger receiver is a steel investment casting. I was referring to the Steyr SCOUT from a previous post in this thread....

I am actually curious and interested in the Ruger...

It looks like it could be a very good option for those of us that cant drop the extra money on other custom builds right now....

It appears that it could make a neat trunk gun.... I just hope that there are OTHER STOCK options out there that will fit this... as I DONT like the factory stock..

Matt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am actually curious and interested in the Ruger...

It looks like it could be a very good option for those of us that cant drop the extra money on other custom builds right now....

It appears that it could make a neat trunk gun.... I just hope that there are OTHER STOCK options out there that will fit this... as I DONT like the factory stock..

Matt. </div></div>

I think most any factory offering is a blank canvas. Granted, there's a bit of extra work to be done to some of them and I think the Ruger demands a little more attention. If the market demands accessories, someone will step up to the plate and offer them. Looking at this particular rifle, I know exactly where I would start.

I'll bite, where would you start?

Cooper made one of his <span style="font-weight: bold">first</span> Scouts on a Ruger 77, (I think it was #2 or #3). As I remember, he was quite happy with it. I had Brent Clifton make me one at the time, (1980's), using his plastic stock with integral bipod. The 77 had enough meat in the barrel that Brent machined the scope bases directly into it. It was a solid 1.5 MOA gun. The newer 77 actions and barrels are far better guns. There's several of them among the guys I hunt with, and year after year, they keep killing stuff with them, despite whatever flaws, (real or imagined) the 77's might have.

This will probably end up at a street price of $800, after the initial flurry. At that price, they'll sell lots of them, and buyers will either fix some of the warts for not a lot of money, or they'll leave it alone and it'll work for their needs.

And yes, according to reliable news sources, Bill Ruger remains dead......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am actually curious and interested in the Ruger...

Matt. </div></div>

I think most any factory offering is a blank canvas. Granted, there's a bit of extra work to be done to some of them and I think the Ruger demands a little more attention. If the market demands accessories, someone will step up to the plate and offer them. </div></div>

Exactly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chongoMT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll bite, where would you start? </div></div>

I'd take that piece off the muzzle that looks like it's from a low budget space movie and replace it with something more usable. Next would be a complete accurizing job and if there was no other stock available, bed the laminate properly until something was available. New trigger and some polish work and then shoot it like I stole it....It caters to those that have an interest, so why not make a few improvements on what Ruger has given you to work with?

I was just curious. I thought the muzzle device was the first thing getting twisted off too. In your opinion do you think that there is enough meat in the fore end for a EFR?

The barrel profile looks pretty bobo..I wonder if it was an afterthought to shave more weight. wonder if it affects the accuracy too.

Is this the SAME M77 Action... if so.... A McMillan or B&C Tactical Stock... maybe...

Muzzle brake... Vortex... R & D Precision Brake...etc..

The rifle has some promise... it fills a market that is kind of untried right now in THAT price range...

I know that I will be making the call for one at the shop tomorrow to see what the delivery times are looking like...

** What would a GOOD scope option be is a big question**

Matt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chongoMT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was just curious. I thought the muzzle device was the first thing getting twisted off too. In your opinion do you think that there is enough meat in the fore end for a EFR? </div></div>

I'd have to take a closer look at it to see if there's enough meat in the forend for an EFR....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">** What would a GOOD scope option be is a big question** </div></div>

As far as I know, the only IER scopes available are Leupold and Burris....

Mike,

looks like your right...

That is the BIG flaw to me that I see Ruger has with the rifle that is UNLIKE YOURS.... Yours allows the scope in the NORMAL position for a bolt rifle. The ruger is the more scout setup with a foward mount..

To me... I WISHED Ruger would have put the scope mount OVER the chamber like yours..

Matt.

the more I look at this rifle, the more I want it for my next hunting rifle. I would replace that muzzle attachment first thing, replace it with a thread protector for hunting, a better looking one for the range or a supressor.

Can you get a mag that does not stick out so far? cool for the range, not so cool for the mountain.

Perhaps a NF 2.5-10 for the scope? or something along those lines.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike,

looks like your right...

That is the BIG flaw to me that I see Ruger has with the rifle that is UNLIKE YOURS.... Yours allows the scope in the NORMAL position for a bolt rifle. The ruger is the more scout setup with a foward mount..

To me... I WISHED Ruger would have put the scope mount OVER the chamber like yours..

Matt. </div></div>

Versatility is a good thing....There are those that love the SCOUT concept and those that can do withoout it. Although my SCOUT is built on a Remington 700, the CRF (Winchester Classic/FN actions) SCOUTs we do are the best (bear in mind that the Ruger isn't a true CRF as much as it's a modified push feed).

I've been looking at the Gunblast.com write up on the Scout and it appears that in a few of the pics there is a full rail across the top and an XS rail forward of the action. So it looks like there is already some aftermarket options, or just prototype support.

Chongo,

If you can find a pic will you post it... I will search as well.

Thanks for the heads up.

Matt.

I saw the article... but you CANT tell if the REAR sight is still there...

Interesting though.... but i WOULD want to be able to keep the sights as well..

Matt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike,

looks like your right...

Matt. </div></div>

It has traditional mounts as well, you just have to remove the rear sight. I'm wondering if the XS backup rear sight scope base would matchup with the front sight on this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunblast.com</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Gunsite Scout rifle is, at this time, the apex in the evolution of the Scout rifle concept, and it sells at a price that is much more affordable to most of us, when compared to having such a rifle built.</div></div>
Their affordability arguement kind of fell on its face when they put the Leupold CQBSS on top
confused.gif

im5150,

That would be great if XS has a base that has the rear sight built in as well...

Guess there are some options coming out there then..

I will be keeping my eye out on this whole setup.

Matt.

As far as the pricing comments, the <span style="font-style: italic">suggested retail</span> on this is $995.00. That's less than $200 more than list on a standard Model 77. The street price will clearly be less. The Savage Scout list price was $814 this past year. The street price difference is going to $200+/-. For that difference, the Ruger has a detachable mag (with an $80 10 round mag included), threaded barrel with a flash hider, protected front and rear sights, adjustable length of pull stock, and a true Picatinny rail.

I'm certainly not sold on the rifle, but love it or hate it, it isn't overpriced in relation to the current market. Welcome to 2011.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im5150,

That would be great if XS has a base that has the rear sight built in as well...

Matt. </div></div>

XS already has the rear base with backup ghost ring for the 77. I just don't know if it will matchup to the front sight on the Scout. I'm with you, I want the traditional scope mounting position, without losing the backup rear sight on a rifle like this.

XS Backup sight

This thread is crazy. That in itself should tell Ruger and other mfgs that the scout concept is hot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DrDeath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread is crazy. That in itself should tell Ruger and other mfgs that the scout concept is hot. </div></div>

The big companies are always hard to get on board with outside of the box concepts. The corporate wonks are always afraid of doing something that might not sell that they'd get blamed for.

Remington could probably do a much better job on this. But don't hold your breath, unless Ruger sells a bajillion of them.

IM5150,

Thanks for the info... Hopefully it WILL work out.. I will try and find out on Monday and post up what they tell me.

Dr Death,

Your RIGHT... I just HOPE that Ruger is listening...

I would actually be nice if they and others looked on this sight... as I am NOT being partial
smile.gif
but theres a TON of experience on here from MANY different sides of shooting that would benefit the BIG companies in keeping up with making profits in sales.

Matt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I would actually be nice if they and others looked on this sight... as I am NOT being partial
smile.gif
but theres a TON of experience on here from MANY different sides of shooting that would benefit the BIG companies in keeping up with making profits in sales.

Matt. </div></div>

Here's the rub. A lot of times, what those who are <span style="font-style: italic">knowledgeable</span> might want, doesn't sell to the great unwashed public. So, as much as we might be <span style="font-style: italic">sure</span> that something will sell like hotcakes, because <span style="font-style: italic">we</span> like it, <span style="font-style: italic">we're often wrong</span>. If your job depends on making the right decision on what will <span style="font-style: italic">sell</span>, the <span style="font-style: italic">experts</span> aren't always the right guys to talk to.

Just the reality of business. As Steve Martin said, it's that whole "<span style="font-style: italic">profit thing</span>". But that's where the smaller companies can come in and carry the torch. They can be successful on a much smaller customer base. Ruger, Remington, etc., not so much. That's why a lot of the innovation comes from those smaller companies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: im5150too</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im5150,

Matt. </div></div>

XS already has the rear base with backup ghost ring for the 77. I just don't know if it will matchup to the front sight on the Scout. I'm with you, I want the traditional scope mounting position, without losing the backup rear sight on a rifle like this.

XS Backup sight </div></div>

Here's the Remington one, I used the NECG front.

mark

agree with the scope rail, it should be on the receiver with the sights higher, etc as mentioned. I would get one in a heartbeat if this was fixed.

But, for a modern iron sighted mag feed stick, not bad. I would imagine that someone could make a rail for the receiver and incorporate a rear sight to be in line with the front and allow for scope mounting at a reasonable height.
I approached Remington not long after I made my deer getter and they could care less about making something of the sort. Good on Ruger for the innovation, hopefully others will follow suite.

An idea would be to reverse a Larue EER mount on that rail and use a regular scope?

My brain child, should have the mag system this year(Manners, uses AICS mags)

Stock SPS in .308, barrel cut to 18"
Holland quick discharge brake(feels like a .223
NECG banded front sight, gold bar
Ashley rear with Leupold QRW rings and 1.5-5 PR scope(changing that out as it doesn't work well in low light(looking at the NF 1-4 CQB or Trijicon 1-4 TR24G)

MOA with match ammo

002-1.jpg

100_0982.jpg

100_0983.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mark5pt56</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: im5150too</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im5150,

Matt. </div></div>

XS Backup sight </div></div>

Here's the Remington one, I used the NECG front.

mark

agree with the scope rail, it should be on the receiver with the sights higher, etc as mentioned. I would get one in a heartbeat if this was fixed.

But, for a modern iron sighted mag feed stick, not bad. I would imagine that someone could make a rail for the receiver and incorporate a rear sight to be in line with the front and allow for scope mounting at a reasonable height.
I approached Remington not long after I made my deer getter and they could care less about making something of the sort. Good on Ruger for the innovation, hopefully others will follow suite.

An idea would be to reverse a Larue EER mount on that rail and use a regular scope?

My brain child, should have the mag system this year(Manners, uses AICS mags)

Stock SPS in .308, barrel cut to 18"
Holland quick discharge brake(feels like a .223
NECG banded front sight, gold bar
Ashley rear with Leupold QRW rings and 1.5-5 PR scope(changing that out as it doesn't work well in low light(looking at the NF 1-4 CQB or Trijicon 1-4 TR24G)

MOA with match ammo

002-1.jpg

100_0982.jpg

100_0983.jpg
</div></div>

Great looking rifle. I wish I could get that rear backup sight base for my Remington model 7's.

That's slick! Since the front and rear are from two different mfgs, do the sights line up and can you get a decent group!?

I really wish they made this for a Rem7!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DrDeath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's slick! Since the front and rear are from two different mfgs, do the sights line up and can you get a decent group!?

I really wish they made this for a Rem7! </div></div>

Yes they do line up, I forget which height front sight I used. If I remember correctly, I used the formula in Brownells that instructs you on how to measure for the sight height. It's zeroed at 100 with both systems. When I first got it together, I zeroed it and then check for accuracy when FGMM and obtained right at 1" at 100 with it. My hunting ammo was 1 -1 1/2 on the fat side.

It was a "test" so to speak, I didn't want to buy a barrel and stock , etc. I think I might do another but this time use a top quality barrel, stock(looking at the Manners) have flush cups on the left side, detachable bottom metal(AICS mags) and have the front sight fit to blend in better along with a brake if I decide to.

Mark

If it had a thicker and longer barrel I´d be buying. I just don´t understand what you want to use a bolt action rifle with a short mini-14 style barrel for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunnyack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it had a thicker and longer barrel I´d be buying. I just don´t understand what you want to use a bolt action rifle with a short mini-14 style barrel for. </div></div>

Speed. In everything but velocity, this rifle will be faster than one with a heavier barrel. Many people that follow the Scout concept obsess over the 3kg weight goal. I prefer to focus on balance and performance, but the good Col was pretty specific about the weight being no more than 3.5kg.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mark5pt56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I think I might do another...</div></div>

When you do, send me a PM about that one
wink.gif
Seriously, what did it cost you to finish like that minus the optics?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: praharin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunnyack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it had a thicker and longer barrel I´d be buying. I just don´t understand what you want to use a bolt action rifle with a short mini-14 style barrel for. </div></div>

Speed. In everything but velocity, this rifle will be faster than one with a heavier barrel. Many people that follow the Scout concept obsess over the 3kg weight goal. I prefer to focus on balance and performance, but the good Col was pretty specific about the weight being no more than 3.5kg.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mark5pt56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I think I might do another...</div></div>

When you do, send me a PM about that one
wink.gif
Seriously, what did it cost you to finish like that minus the optics? </div></div>

It's been over 5 years so kind of unclear exactly. The brake, sight parts I think were under 200. Th eonly work I paid for was the barrel cutting/crown, threading and the front install. The local Smith helped me out alot on the price there, no clue as to what it was though. That paint job cost me alot --joking there, son and I got out the pine branch and had some fun.

I do have a varmint special that needs to be cut up and hacked on but will have to wait some as I'm tapped out right now.

Mark

I'll stick with the Steyr Scout, great rifle.

I JUST got one ordered... It should be here Thursday or Friday..

I will let everyone know..

Matt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I JUST got one ordered... It should be here Thursday or Friday..

Matt. </div></div>

Did you pay MSRP for it, or is that still waiting to be revealed?

Here is another one:

Is the bottom metal available from anywhere yet? I would like to add it to my Frontier also.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: praharin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I JUST got one ordered... It should be here Thursday or Friday..

Matt. </div></div>

Did you pay MSRP for it, or is that still waiting to be revealed?

Here is another one:

Is the bottom metal available from anywhere yet? I would like to add it to my Frontier also.

Thanks </div></div>

msrp is close to 1k street price should be 800+

I was hoping for an actual quote, since he said he ordered one...
eek.gif

Talked to a buddy. Dealers should be paying 700 or less for it. You should be able to shop and get one for 800 or less once the initial hype dies down.

Sorry for the delay..

I got mine for $700 out the door... but keep in mind... I have been buying weapons from him for about 10 years and we are buddies... sooo i know its a good price..

Matt.