• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New from Ruger: Gunsite Scout Rifle

Re: New from Ruger: Gunsite Scout Rifle

Good score, thanks for letting us in on the street value of these.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry for the delay..

I got mine for $700 out the door... but keep in mind... I have been buying weapons from him for about 10 years and we are buddies... sooo i know its a good price..

Matt. </div></div>

Please do some detail pics. I'm interested in being able to have a rear mounted scope and have the/or a rear iron. No offense to the true followers of the "Scout" but Ruger should have been a bit more thoughtful in regards to not everyone wants a paper towel tube on the barrel.

Thanks Matt!

Mark,

No worries.. that EXACTLY what I am going to do... I want the scout setup... but I am going to put a full scope base on it with a rear sight... Looks like XS Sights has them... that will be one of my FIRST purchases... then a scope..

Pics will come.

Matt.

OK but if its for speed, why not build it semi-auto?

There's a writer doing a review on another site, he keeps saying that it's a single stack mag because Ruger told him so. I keep trying to correct him that it's a double stack, single feed. Oh well.

Matt, Any link to the Ashley base that allows the rear mounted scope and irons?

Have you had a chance to shoot it yet? If you have any AICS mags, please check them for function as it seems a co called Accurate mag is making the Ruger ones.

Mark

I don't think 700 is going to be the street price on these, unless you've got a <span style="font-weight: bold">very</span> good buddy in the business.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark,

No worries.. that EXACTLY what I am going to do... I want the scout setup... but I am going to put a full scope base on it with a rear sight... Looks like XS Sights has them... that will be one of my FIRST purchases... then a scope..

Pics will come.

Matt. </div></div>

In talking to XS it appears the Ruger backup sight is meant to be user installed in the field, <span style="font-weight: bold">after</span> removing the scope. The only one where it's incorporated into the mount is for the Rem 700.

Looks like the hunt is still on.

IM5150,

What do you think about turning a mount around backwards... like a R.E.P.R 30mm mount???

I am thinking this way MAY work... it would allow for the rear sight to stay in use... and mound the scope independant with the ability to remove it...

Tell me your thoughts guys..

XS SIGHTS... if your looking at this thread... and rifle.. you have a market IF you can make a MOUNT for this rifle and others that can incorporate a flipup type sight...

Matt

Zohan,

That and one other are the EXACT ones I was looking at. GOOD FIND!!!

I think that it will bring a scope back to JUST the right position and allow the sights to be a keeper.

OHH yeah.. to answer others questions... I DONT have the rifle YET... NOT till LATE Thursday early Friday....

And... picking it up depends on my classes... My (MBA) classes start back and i have to go pick up my books in the middle of the day... No biggie as I am VERY excited to get the rifle... just HOPE and PRAY that it shows up on time.

DONT WORRY... I will break down ALL the parts for everyone that I can... I have AICS mags... So I WILL compare them and see whats what..

Matt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunnyack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> OK but if its for speed, why not build it semi-auto? </div></div>

they did didnt they? its called a mini 30 i though

To me the rifle is just going to be a trunk gun...

I have kinda wanted a bolt rifle that is scoped... but also possessing the ability to have iron sights just in case the scope ever took a crap..

Sure.. a semi could definately do the role... but an AR10 or similar is NOT in this price range... plus TO ME this is a neat little rifle.

Its small compact size should make it a nice pack rifle that is easy to manipulate in the woods..

I am just interested to see if it has some decent accuracy..

I would have LOVED to have a SkunkWorks rifle. His machining is SEXY AS HELL!!! (if that is OK to say about guns) But.. simply put I just cant afford that type of money at one time..

Matt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zohan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=40
This is whats normally used for Springfield armory socom and scouts mounted backwards..and works very well.. </div></div>

You need to use some kind of long eye relief scope though, right? TR21?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunnyack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> OK but if its for speed, why not build it semi-auto? </div></div>

they did didnt they? its called a mini 30 i though </div></div>

Wrong 7.62.

With that mount turned backwards I THINK you could get away with a NORMAL eye relief rifle scope... It appears that I would put the scope to a very normal position..

A cheek piece or stock pack would probably be in order but I pretty much use those any ways as it helps hold tools..

Matt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mark5pt56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's a writer doing a review on another site, he keeps saying that it's a single stack mag because Ruger told him so. I keep trying to correct him that it's a double stack, single feed. Oh well.</div></div>

It's sort of double stack, in that it's not truly a single stack.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/benelliman2/DSCN2284.jpg

From: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=386203#Post386203

It's a slightly staggered column (on the AICS), but not really double stacked
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With that mount turned backwards I THINK you could get away with a NORMAL eye relief rifle scope... It appears that I would put the scope to a very normal position..

A cheek piece or stock pack would probably be in order but I pretty much use those any ways as it helps hold tools..

Matt. </div></div>

I'll look forward to what you find out. The TR21 would be a good option if not.

Wow! This thread has LIFE!!!

I ordered one too. Well, my project budget is shot for the next 3 months. Time to make another turn on the old semi.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Fletcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can the magazine be topped off while still in place or must it be removed from the rifle to add cartridges? </div></div>

This is the make or break question. Why would you have a forward optic if you didn't need to reload from the top? If I was to build a scout rifle; stripper slots would be more of a priority than a "high cap" magazine.

So its like a Paker Hale Scout or M85 , that came out well over 20 yrs ago .

Later Chris

Im wondering the same thing, I seem to recall reading that it wasn't. edit* from Michael Bane Blog "No provision for stripper clips, although we looked at a couple of options. Again, expense considerations."

By any chance has anyone ever had actual hunting experience with a scout type rifle?

I wonder how many of the people bashing Ruger rifles have fired one lately? My Ruger Alaskan in .375 Ruger will shoot -1" groups all day long.

To the guys that are saying Remington would have done a better job with this; How exactly do you think they would have improved on it? Many proponents of the scout concept prefer a controlled feed design, such as the Ruger, which Remington doesn't offer. What do you think of this point?

inGobwetrust,

I agree...

I have (5) Remingtons... So I am NOT knocking them... but if sooo many people think Remington would have done a BETTER job... then WHY did they NOT attempt it..

With their years in the business and machinery experts they could have atleast attempted it...

I think the Ruger has a neat looking design for those wanting a SHORT barreled rifle with the ability to have back up sights as well as the ability to carry MORE than 4 or 5 rounds..

Add all of those features in for the price that I am getting mine for and there is NO ONE on the market that is competing..

Matt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike,

looks like your right...

That is the BIG flaw to me that I see Ruger has with the rifle that is UNLIKE YOURS.... Yours allows the scope in the NORMAL position for a bolt rifle. The ruger is the more scout setup with a foward mount..

To me... I WISHED Ruger would have put the scope mount OVER the chamber like yours..

Matt. </div></div>

Versatility is a good thing....There are those that love the SCOUT concept and those that can do withoout it. Although my SCOUT is built on a Remington 700, the CRF (Winchester Classic/FN actions) SCOUTs we do are the best (bear in mind that the Ruger isn't a true CRF as much as it's a modified push feed). </div></div>

Your thinking of the original m77, the MKII receiver, which is what ruger is building all there rifles off of, is a true CRF

I handled the new gunsite ruger tonite. the bolt is on the wrong side but I like anyway. Price was 769. without dickering.

I plan to pick one up, and the full length XS rail to mount my NF 1-4 over the receiver. Looking at the below pic of the rail with rear mounted scope, it looks like the XS weaver low back up MAY fit under the scope allowing you to still have a rear iron.

You may have to use a little higher rings though.

e16qeg.jpg

2cnwb4l.jpg

I JUST got back from the shop and got to fondle my NEW GunSight Scout.

Impressions: Here is what I saw..

Seems that the barrel is a VERY close fit to the stock... some areas it is touching but NOT bad... (EASY FIX)

The action is very smoothe.

The trigger was AWESOME!

The fit and finish of the rifle is VERY well done and looks ALOT better in person than the pictures show.

It appears the mag is an AICS Mag... I will test a AICS Mag that I have at home and confirm this but it looks like a dead copy to me..

* I did not pick it up due to having some parts inbound anyways that WONT be here till Monday..

I ordered an American Defense Extended Mount Setup to bring the scope back to me while keeping the rear sight in place.

I have a stock pack coming as well.. so it should all work out nicely...

I will relieve the stock some internally to float the barrel COMPLETELY.

OVERAL:

I am VERY pleased. Its VERY handy and appears to be a great setup.. Range testing will be the true way to find out what is made of and how well it will shoot.

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA)

Redmanss,

I got mine for $725 OUT the door... BUT... I DO know the dealer VERY well...

Matt.

Tin Star had one listed yesterday on Gunbroker for $750. There are some on there now in the mid $800's, but I bet if you're patient you will be able to get them for the Tin Star price regularly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BiggerStick47</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I plan to pick one up, and the full length XS rail to mount my NF 1-4 over the receiver. Looking at the below pic of the rail with rear mounted scope, it looks like the XS weaver low back up MAY fit under the scope allowing you to still have a rear iron.

</div></div>

Keep us posted on how well this works for you.

And to clarify, XS already makes a full-length rail for this new rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BiggerStick47</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I plan to pick one up, and the full length XS rail to mount my NF 1-4 over the receiver. Looking at the below pic of the rail with rear mounted scope, it looks like the XS weaver low back up MAY fit under the scope allowing you to still have a rear iron.

e16qeg.jpg

2cnwb4l.jpg
</div></div>

That looks like the ticket right there. I would do the Eagle stock pack and the Larue standard mount, no cantilever, That should clear the sight.

Matt, Please do some serious bandwidth killing pics! Details, details, detail of everything----

Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BiggerStick47</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I plan to pick one up, and the full length XS rail to mount my NF 1-4 over the receiver. Looking at the below pic of the rail with rear mounted scope, it looks like the XS weaver low back up MAY fit under the scope allowing you to still have a rear iron.

</div></div>

Keep us posted on how well this works for you.

And to clarify, XS already makes a full-length rail for this new rifle? </div></div>

I believe they do have the rail already, but it's not on their site yet. It would be ideal if they just added the integral peep sight to that rail like the Remington rear rail they make.

Mark, Biggerstick,

I was hoping that the XS would work with that detachable rear... but i was just NOT too sure.. and did not want to buy it all and it NOT work out...

So... this is the route that I went. I am going to turn the mound around which SHOULD give me the right positioning for the scope eye piece..

http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/8/

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark, Biggerstick,

I was hoping that the XS would work with that detachable rear... but i was just NOT too sure.. and did not want to buy it all and it NOT work out...

So... this is the route that I went. I am going to turn the mound around which SHOULD give me the right positioning for the scope eye piece..

http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/8/

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.) </div></div>

Well, once you do get it post pics we can tell a bit more. We can measure the height of the stock one and where the back up would ride over bore to see if it's a match. If it's to low, some can be taken off the front. If to high-we need a higher blade up front.

Will do.... I will most likely go pick it up tomorrow morning.

I will post up a bunch of pics..

Let me know if there are any specific shots that you want...

My scope base should be here tomorrow...

Matt.

Biggerstick,

GOOD JOB!! If you get a message post it up here... that setup would be ideal...

Thanks again,
Matt.

As a last resort, there is one other option that may work, although not as well. You could mount the rear sight on the rail in front of the scope. It would be a short sight radius, but should work in a pinch if the optic fails.

I thought of something like that as well.. but was hoping to be able to leave the rear sight at the back if at all possible...

If my mount (American Defense) works then I will probably stay with it as for ME the factory setup is ideal..

After holding and messing with the rifle today its just REALLY smoothe...and I like the Mauser Actions as it seems to be built like a tank.

Matt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Biggerstick,

GOOD JOB!! If you get a message post it up here... that setup would be ideal...

Thanks again,
Matt. </div></div>

Hey Matt, he responded back. The low weaver I suggested will not work, however he did say that XS is working on a solution.

I will have mine in hand tomorrow...

The mount JUST arrived... Scope is here...

All will be mounted up tomorrow evening... I will take some quick photos for everyone as well.

I am a TAD excited about it
smile.gif

Matt.

Rifle is in MY hands..

I will get some pics up tonight...

If anyone has a specific area that they want pictures of just let me know...

I WILL try out an AICS mag in it to see IF they fit.

Matt