• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New from WI

SM7

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2020
Hi everyone. I’m new to shooting bolt guns. I built a Rem 700 with a 16.5” barrel in 308. At the time I wanted a short precision rifle to eventually throw a can on it. Rifle is sitting in a Grayboe ridgeback, seekins base and rings, triggertech special, and Pst gen 2 3-15ffp. Rifle shoots pretty tight groups, but heats up quick and opens up more than I like.

I considered a rebarrel to 20” 308 Bartlein, but after barrel, install, and trueing ($950) I could get a new rifle. I’m considering a 5r gen2 in 20”. I would like a rifle that could be stretched a little further all the while holding tight groups. I don’t have access to anything further than 200yds unless I join a local club that has 600yds and may be adding 1000yds. I don’t foresee my self reloading or getting into competitions. Looking for some advice as I’m contemplating selling my current base rifle and keeping the rest for another rifle.

Attachments

• 119F1DD8-870B-4F74-BCD7-AADDC2DE6E27.jpeg
    119F1DD8-870B-4F74-BCD7-AADDC2DE6E27.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
Hartford area here, welcome to the Hide.

I prefer Krieger barrels myself, butt then again.... I'm related.

Reactions: SM7
Hartford area here, welcome to the Hide.

I prefer Krieger barrels myself, butt then again.... I'm related.
I’ve considered Krieger as well. I don’t think I could go wrong with either.

Let's get Mr Zick to invite us to some ELR and we'll just have to see what these barrels can do. Hoe About it Zick?

Hi everyone. I’m new to shooting bolt guns. I built a Rem 700 with a 16.5” barrel in 308. At the time I wanted a short precision rifle to eventually throw a can on it. Rifle is sitting in a Grayboe ridgeback, seekins base and rings, triggertech special, and Pst gen 2 3-15ffp. Rifle shoots pretty tight groups, but heats up quick and opens up more than I like.

I considered a rebarrel to 20” 308 Bartlein, but after barrel, install, and trueing ($950) I could get a new rifle. I’m considering a 5r gen2 in 20”. I would like a rifle that could be stretched a little further all the while holding tight groups. I don’t have access to anything further than 200yds unless I join a local club that has 600yds and may be adding 1000yds. I don’t foresee my self reloading or getting into competitions. Looking for some advice as I’m contemplating selling my current base rifle and keeping the rest for another rifle.

First, welcome to another wisconsinite! I'm a little interested in hearing what range/club has a 600 yard range...

But on to your questions.

It sounds like you've got a decent setup, but the barrel is heating up quicker than you like. The main way to address that would be a heavier barrel. The groups opening up as the barrel heats up (if I'm understanding correctly and the groups are opening up, you aren't just having POI shifts with temp), could be a barrel issue (or a trueness issue between barrel and receiver), but it could also be bedding.

It sounds like you want a longer barrel, is that just for higher velocity?

I think that rebarrelling and truing your rifle (especially as it looks like it shoots well as is) is NOT the way to go. Frankly, for the cost of truing you are likely close to the cost of a trued action from NSS. For close to $1k, you are looking at being able to get an NSS trued action and a remage barrel, or possibly even a barreled action (I've seen Bergara Premier actions listed for $1250; and I've heard that they have started to catch up with rifle production and barreled actions are becoming available).

I'm a fan of the Remington 700 platform, but Remington has had some serious QC issues lately. Personally, I wouldn't buy a new factory remington rifle (at least not at the prices they are selling for); I'd either do a build with a trued 700 action, get a factory Bergara, or just go straight to an aftermarket 700 footprint action.

Reactions: SM7
First, welcome to another wisconsinite! I'm a little interested in hearing what range/club has a 600 yard range...

But on to your questions.

It sounds like you've got a decent setup, but the barrel is heating up quicker than you like. The main way to address that would be a heavier barrel. The groups opening up as the barrel heats up (if I'm understanding correctly and the groups are opening up, you aren't just having POI shifts with temp), could be a barrel issue (or a trueness issue between barrel and receiver), but it could also be bedding.

It sounds like you want a longer barrel, is that just for higher velocity?

I think that rebarrelling and truing your rifle (especially as it looks like it shoots well as is) is NOT the way to go. Frankly, for the cost of truing you are likely close to the cost of a trued action from NSS. For close to $1k, you are looking at being able to get an NSS trued action and a remage barrel, or possibly even a barreled action (I've seen Bergara Premier actions listed for $1250; and I've heard that they have started to catch up with rifle production and barreled actions are becoming available).

I'm a fan of the Remington 700 platform, but Remington has had some serious QC issues lately. Personally, I wouldn't buy a new factory remington rifle (at least not at the prices they are selling for); I'd either do a build with a trued 700 action, get a factory Bergara, or just go straight to an aftermarket 700 footprint action.
Thanks for the insight. The range I’m referring to Racine County Line Rifle Club. I have considered Bergara’s 308, but have read a fair amount of inconsistent accuracy complaints. I also have considered a trued stainless action from Nss. Based on what I’ve read I see that 20-24” is optimal barrel length for 308 and I figure I’d just go to 20 if I rebarreled. Yes, after about 3-5 shots she tends to heat up pretty good and and groups tend to open. I have been recently told that this could be due to an improper heat treatment of the barrel. Some have directed me to go the 6.5 route, but I really don’t think it’s necessary for my application. I would prefer to not go any larger than 20 inch, being that I plan on getting a can eventually. I think the 308 would be perfect for my needs as an all-around rifle that could be used for hunting medium game.

Thanks for the insight. The range I’m referring to Racine County Line Rifle Club. I have considered Bergara’s 308, but have read a fair amount of inconsistent accuracy complaints. I also have considered a trued stainless action from Nss. Based on what I’ve read I see that 20-24” is optimal barrel length for 308 and I figure I’d just go to 20 if I rebarreled. Yes, after about 3-5 shots she tends to heat up pretty good and and groups tend to open. I have been recently told that this could be due to an improper heat treatment of the barrel. Some have directed me to go the 6.5 route, but I really don’t think it’s necessary for my application. I would prefer to not go any larger than 20 inch, being that I plan on getting a can eventually. I think the 308 would be perfect for my needs as an all-around rifle that could be used for hunting medium game.

Interesting, everyone I've heard reports on Bergaras accuracy is that they are good (for a factory rifle, of course).

I think the trued action from NSS is a really solid choice for a build; you could also get the 20" remage barrel from them (though there are plenty of other places that you can get a good barrel from).

The groups opening up when the rifle heats up could be from a variety of things, and if you look online you'll find people saying that certain patterns are more likely to be certain problems...but if you ask any 4 'experts' you'll get 7 different answers.

I guess I would say to check what you can; make sure that the barrel is free floating and staying free float when it gets hot (pop the stock off, look for any sign the barrel has been touching the stock anywhere in the barrel channel). A common issue with Remington actions is with the recoil lug; the only thing preventing it from rotating is that it is squeezed between the barrel and the action. If it is rotated a bit, that can cause the action to sit a little off in the stock (potentially putting the barrel off center a bit and causing it to touch the stock, but also just putting an uneven torque on the action when the action screws are torqued down). Also, of course, there's the torque on the action screws.