• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New FV-SR. Whats WRONG???

bruno86

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2011
Hick Town PA
Here is about 6 different types of ammo and I just dont get it. All shot at 50 yds and I checked the gun over very well.
1324671460_tmp_Resampled_2011-12-23_14-19-53_298-1.jpg

Re: New FV-SR. Whats WRONG???

Honestly, there is only 2 things wrong with the setup.

1) The stock.
2) The trigger.

DK

Whatever ammo you used to print the lower right hand target... stick to that!! Or, keep looking around for better ammo, or just something that your particular rifle likes.

DK

Lower right does look the best. How comfortable do you feel off the bi-pod? Does it sit pretty steady while you're squeezing? Have you tried a pile of bags up front and one under the rear? We've found that a couple of good wooden wedges under the rear or one under a rear bag to help adjust elevation makes for nice tight lil groups.

I'm assuming since you didn't elaborate that you tried standard and high velocity ammo of various brands? One of my Remington 541s loves CCI MiniMags and groups good at extreme distances and the other hates them but loves Wolf Match Target and groups them good at the longer distances. Each is different and sometimes when we've been experimenting it takes a few shots of a different ammo to get it to settle down again. Figure it's probably the different types of lube they use.

At 50 yards it should be making nice lil clusters. Even with 22s and close targets you still have to have good form and technique. Might have a bud or two also try it out and see if they get the same results.

Good luck

Topstrap

One other thing you might want to try is to remove the brake and see if it'll group. I burned a lot of ammo a while back in a rimfire that just didn't like the really cool brake I had installed.

Another vote to lose the brake - looks cool but that would be my first suspect.

Can't see them either. Just red x's.

Sorry guys. I had to figure out the photo problem. Here ya go [img:center]http://
Resampled_2011-12-23_14-19-53_298.jpg
[/img] Heres my set up [img:center]http://
Resampled_2011-12-22_22-11-15_573.jpg
[/img]
Sorry i cant figure out how to get them flipped on here. The target should be flipped to the right with the 3 dots on top. The shots are stringing in elevation. I checked everything I could. Changed brakes and even took it off completely, all kinds of different ammo, checked crown, bolt, rifling, changed scopes, tightened all screws that I could. Im very confident in my shooting and normally get at LEAST .5 groups at 50yds with good ammo that the gun likes but this gun is not cutting it. Would a stock cause that much variation? Im loosing my mind!

I have a FV-SR under the tree right now, and have been doing my due diligence on setting it up. This is all info I have read, so take it for what it's worth.

Have you replaced the bottom metal or messed with the torque settings on the bottom metal screws? Check out the Savage section on Rimfire Central. Those guys mention bottom metal and the torque being one of the key issues affecting rimfire accuracy, especially the Savages.

I actually have a upgraded bottom metal from DIP, waiting to go on tomorrow. It's thicker and supposedly allows for more consistent torque values and results in much more consistent accuracy.

Hopefully that solves all of your accuracy issues! If not take a good look at the crown. Unfortunately it seems like there are a few Savages escaping the factory with defects in the crown. (looking at your groups, I doubt it's a crown issue. I would expect more flyers with a crown defect. My .02)

There is also a great tutorial on dialing in the Accu-trigger to perfection on RFC in the Savage forum.

DIP Savage bottom metal Says out of stock, but I'm local to them and just met up with Bob yesterday and picked one up. Super nice guy.

RFC Savage Forum

Yours doesn't have the accutrigger does it?? If it does, then I take back part of what I said was wrong. The accutrigger is a great step toward a really accurate rimfire rifle.

Accutrigger setups are easily tuned with spring changes. I have done that to every single one of my accutriggers, and I love it!!

DK

Read this: RFC FV-SR thread with torque specs and accuracy pics

Cliff notes: "On your screw torque, start off with 18 inch pounds on the main screw on the bottom metal, then go 9 inch pounds on the tang screw, fine adjust from there.

It seems that in most cases, the tang screw at about half of the main screw seems to work best. Fully torque the main screw before torquing the tang screw."

What ammo were you using? Mine shoots best with subsonic/standard velocity stuff. At 50 yards it will shoot cloverleaves. At a 100 they look look like your targets. Try some wolf MT, if they don't shoot well there's definitely a gun problem.

Atleast part of your problem is your tacticool muzzle brake. The .22 doesn't displace enough air volume exiting out the muzzle therefore creating a nasty turbulance behind the round pushing it to which ever side has the weakest muzzle pressure in the brake.

I'm guessing the only reason you have the muzzle brake on is because a .22 kicks like a .300 winmag?

UPDATE:

I have changed out the AR15 break for a TacSolo and messed with the torque as much as i could with the stock bottom metal. I now have about 250-300 rounds down the tube and I have seen a HUGE improvement with all ammo. Its best when it gets heated up a little. I shot a .450 group with CCI standard velocity yesterday and today surprisingly I shot a .300 group with Rem Thunderbolts. Doesn't really like fed match or rem subs. I have yet to try Wolf or Eley. Starting to love this little gun.

i've been following your thread as i have an fv-sr on order im glad to hear its worked out for you ! thanks for the info

my savage started out the same way, about .75in groups at 50 then after a brick of cci std velocity ammo groups started shrinking. now after a couple thousand rounds threw it it shoots groups in the .2-.3in range at 50yrds.
012012010756.jpg