• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Gen 3 TNVC Wasp need a good optics match

Hogzillanator

Hogzillanator
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2013
South TX
First let me just say hello as I'm a newbie to this forum.
Quick backstory:
I had an alarming conversation with the folks at ATN in San Francisco this Friday that stemmed out of a warranty issue on a PVS 14 3P I sent them for I considered to be too many little black spots in the instensifier tube to be acceptable on a Pinnacle hand select unit when the subject of recoil came up.

I WAS about to buy a PS 22 clip on from them also with the gen 3 Pinnacle tube in it for almost 5K.

They (ATN) basically told me that if I mounted that pinnacle tube on anything more than a .223 I would be running the risk of spotting it up and degrading the intensifier. They suggested that I downgrade to 3A or upgrade to Gen 4 which frankly caught me off guard as I don't think such an animal really exists. Anyhow I'm glad for th honesty ad thankful that I dodged that metaphorical bullet which leads me to the Wasp.

After getting off the phone with the tech at TNVC, he told me about their new Wasp which won't be on their website until next week or begin shipping till March but you can see it on youtube and it may have been this forum or AR15.com where read about it as well. I'm wanting the one with the Litton tube which is Lapua and .50 BMG rated for recoil.

My 700 PSS is setup with a Leup 3.5-10x44 lit reticle tac on a Badger rail and the NV unit will sit on a Badger Embedded Rail up front which looks to be about dead even height wise. I'm wondering about height alignment ring wise on this one.

My Sig R716 is the one I need a recommendation on the glass for. Again rail is even front to back and the NV will ride up front. Looks like tight real estate but I'm thinking that a 9" to 10" scope should work. I'm leaning hard towards the Vortex 1-6x24 Razor HD Gen II 30 mm.

Sorry about the long winded post. Thoughts??

Re: New Gen 3 TNVC Wasp need a good optics match

I would just measure the rail space on the Sig, and then check out the specs on several of the various 1-6 and 1-8 scopes, then decide from there.

I would read up on ATN before committing funds to confirm that what they offer meets or exceeds your expectations.

Good luck

Agreed

I'm thankful for the honesty of that one employee Linda. She saved me a lot of grief but I'm reading too many negative posts on the net about ATN.

I'm relatively happy with my PVS 14 3P. Time will tell on it. I'm new to NV so turning pitch black into high noon with a funky green hue and being able to get within 40 ft of hogs in pitch black without them having a clue is wicked cool no matter what but I'm done with ATN otherwise. No PS22 for sure.

Not being an operator or related pro, I can't justify a full blown PVS 22 for hog control so the L3 tubed TNVC Wasp looks like the way to go. Guess I'll be a beta tester.

I was wondering more about compatability in terms of best objective size (heard to big loses efficiency), magnification (is there no point in powers above 6x with NV?) and 1X COGS (can you run a clip on in front of a EoTech 552 or Trij SRS?)

For a red dot you would run a PVS-14 in front. Run you about $3000, depending on the range could also do helmet mounted PVS-14 + IR laser.

You run a PVS-14 BEHIND a 1x NV compatible red dot. If you put it in front you'll have POA/POI issues. Best is still an IR laser and helmet-mounted PVS.

What ATN told you as far as recoil is correct. ITT does not rate their Pinnacle tubes for greater than .223/5.56 and will not warranty them as such.

Also, ATN sucks balls.