• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns New gun opinions....glock gen 4 full size

adam1122

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2010
Tx
Anyone have a range report on one of these?I'm looking at picking one up in .45acp.......just need more guns and the glock,is about the only major brand handgun I have not owned yet.

Re: New gun opinions....glock gen 4 full size

We ran a total of 10K rounds through four Gen4 pistols but all were .40, I haven't fired a Gen4 in .45. The .40's ran great.

My Gen 4 G23 .40 runs great, no experience with the .45 as of yet.

In my opinion the Gen 4's are too fancy with the dual guide springs and interchangable backstraps... i like to keep it stupid simple...less parts the better. Gen 3 is the way to go in my opinion.

Love my gen 2 and gen 3 glocks... From what I have heard and researched, the gen 4's are pretty solid now. They were some issues with some models at the beginning, but it seems that has been handled. A few guys I talked to said they felt the gen 4 recoiled less in the same model.

I just ran ~100 rounds through a Gen4 21 today. First gen4 I've shot...

With the big backstrap, fills the hand like a non-SF gen 2/3.
Balances the same as ever
Recoils slightly less than the old 21, but right on par with my gen2 30 (which has a dualspring captivated guide rod as well)
The mag release really is more convenient - I liked it
I don't dig the grip texturing. I prefer the old style non-RTF, with the talon griptape wrap
Ran perfect with my reloads - 5.5gr Titegroup/185 montana gold JHP, and 5.25Titegroup/200 montana gold JFP.
Point of aim is same as always
Accuracy was same as always

Bottom line: It's a Glock. The magazine catch is reversible and a little easier to hit, while not in the way. I wouldn't pay extra for one, but if a gen3 and gen4 were side by side for tge same price ..... I'd probably choose the gen4.

I don't have any experience with the G21, but my Gen4 G17 had issues right out of the box with erratic ejection and FTEs (stovepipes).

The Gen4 9mms are the most problematic, and are not yet GTG, IMO. There are still issues that are unresolved and as of this date I wouldn't believe any internet chatter that told me differently.

Glock has multiple iterations of the recoil spring assemblies (RSAs), none of which solved my issues or the issues of many others. Glock now has a new ejector out, and after a two week trip to the factory, my pistol is now working well. Glock also has a batch of non-MIM extractors they are installing in some pistols.

It was a long road to get my gun functioning reliably. I changed the length and angle on the old "336" ejector, filed and smoothed out the extractor, replaced the stock MIM extractor with a LWD extractor, installed a WSD HRED and changed out the RSA with a Jager and 13 Lb ISMI spring. All of those changes, and I still couldn't make it 2K rounds without 3 stovepipes and a 10% rate of brass to the forehead.

The new ejector Glock installed is the ticket for a number of users, including me (so far, but I only have 250 rounds with it so far) but if you look for Randy Lee's missive on Gen4 issues, user mass, tolerance stack in the frame and trigger housings, and other issues cause ejecting rounds to impact the ejection port.

If you want a Gen4, go for it, but don't go into it believing a simple spring change will solve your issues as I did, listening to the internet chatter at the time.

My G30 is a tack driver, in 45 I recommend the G30 over the G21, the smaller size is very controllable, recoils no more or less than the G21, and I can use the 13 round G21 mags in it.

I have multiple Gen4s and Gen3s with no complaints about either. With that being said I have had grip jobs on all of them because that's what I like
smirk.gif
I have heard some bad of the Gen4s but I shoot mine weekly and have had no problems so far. Overall after I have a little work done to my Glocks they are my favorite handgun....and still cheaper than a decent priced 1911

My gen 4 19 ran excellent with no problems what so ever and I've put about 600 ish thru it of different kinds of ammo.

I have a 2nd Gen 21, 3rd Gen 17, 3rd Gen 27 & 4th Gen 19 & they're all great pistols. Never had a problem with any of them. You can't go wrong with Glock.

I am up in the air about buying a new Gen 4 or the XDM. I really cannot make up my mind. I like a few items on the full size XDM but have always been a glock fan.

The biggest thing I dislike about the XDM is the palm safety.

I have gen 4, 21, 23, 34. Hundreds of rounds, not 1 problem. I like the grips. Solid, good grip even wet. Accurate, reliable. Many modern handguns are. That's just my experience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GMR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am up in the air about buying a new Gen 4 or the XDM. I really cannot make up my mind. I like a few items on the full size XDM but have always been a glock fan.

The biggest thing I dislike about the XDM is the palm safety. </div></div>

I'm completely biased, but this seems like a super-simple decision. I would pick the Glock every time. Every time. I think the XD is a good solid pistol. It is quality, and they are reliable.

That said, the trigger is mush. It does NOT let off clean, it does not positively reset, and once reset, there is a bunch of takeup before you hit the link. The powder river trigger is an improvement, but it doesn't come anywhere near the Glock.

Obviously, trigger feel is a hugely subjective thing. For me, the key elements of a trigger are that it is CONSISTENT from first shot to last (XD does this fine), needs to let-off reasonably cleanly (Glock isn't amazing - but much better than XD), have an obvious reset (Glock's reset is the most positive, obvious, slap-you-in-the-face reset out there), and be "on the link" AT the point of reset.

I like that I can buy Glock mags from Botach tactical for $20/each. XD mags are $35-40.

Another thing I can say about Glock vs. XD is the bore center. The Glock has scrunched the bore down as low as really can be achieved. The XD places the bore pretty high. This DOES make a perceivable difference. My compact Glock 30 has noticeably less muzzle flip than my fullsize XD45 Tactical.

I am also a believer in the Glock grip angle. A 1911 or XD essentially causes you to have your wrist at a 90º angle to your forearm, so that the recoil impulse has the MOST leverage over your wrist joint as possible. Because a Glock forces you to tip your wrist down, this minimizes the leveral the recoil has on your wrist.

Lastly, the grip fatness of the Glock... What can I say? When I first picked up a Glock 30, it felt fat. I have big hands, and even then the G30 felt thick. I felt that I had a much more "commanding" grip on my XD45. Alas, when I analyzed my natural XD grip, I noted the bore was not perfectly inline with my forearm. The natural grip I take on the G30 DOES put the bore inline with my forearm.

Of course, the right pistol for you is a very subjective thing. These are the reasons the right pistol for me is Glock. Maybe keep some of these points in mind and see if they apply to you as well.

All the time, I hear people advise others to "see how the pistols feel in your hand". I contend you can NOT properly choose the pistol for you by simply laying it in your hand and seeing if it feels "good". You MUST shoot them - a fair amount. For me at least, the pistol that "felt best" laying in my hand was NOT the best pistol for me.

I'm fortunate I only had to go through 3 or 4 different pistols before realizing Glock was "it".

I have a few hundred rounds through my Gen 4 G21. No issues at all so far and I prefer it to the Gen 3 (which I had tens of thousands of rounds through on two different pistols).

Recoil seems a touch softer, the grip texture is waaaaay better, grip with no backstraps is more comfortable to me (supposed to be about the same as the "SF" model), and the enlarged mag release is a nice touch. Easier to hit but not in the way at all. Also, the trigger on my Gen 4 feels a touch lighter / smoother on my particular one than either of my Gen 3's. I doubt (?) that's indicative of all, just an observation.

Gen 4 > Gen 3.
cool.gif

I have a few hundred rounds through my Gen 4 G19 without any issues. Just installed some new sights, springs, and Rocket connector, should make it all the better.

Some interesting opinions on the glock gen 3 vs the new gen 4. I am looking for a full size glock in .45....normally I shoot a full size custom 1911 or a p226 in .357sig. I plan on trading my sig since I never shoot it anymore because my 1911 is so much more accurate and fun to shoot than my sig. I know you cannot compare a p226 full size in .357 to a full size 1911 that is custom built but I just dont shoot my sig anymore - hence, it's got to go (and the ammo is alot more $$ compared to .45). I want to standardize my ammo so all my handguns are in .45.

There have been mixed reviews on the Gen 4 glock g21's. Does anyone that has one of the new ones feel that all the kinks have been worked out with the new dual spring system? I dont want to buy a gun that is going to have issues right out of the box. It's a glock...I cannot imagine that it would have any issues, right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SteelShot11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some interesting opinions on the glock gen 3 vs the new gen 4. I am looking for a full size glock in .45....normally I shoot a full size custom 1911 or a p226 in .357sig. I plan on trading my sig since I never shoot it anymore because my 1911 is so much more accurate and fun to shoot than my sig. I know you cannot compare a p226 full size in .357 to a full size 1911 that is custom built but I just dont shoot my sig anymore - hence, it's got to go (and the ammo is alot more $$ compared to .45). I want to standardize my ammo so all my handguns are in .45.

There have been mixed reviews on the Gen 4 glock g21's. Does anyone that has one of the new ones feel that all the kinks have been worked out with the new dual spring system? I dont want to buy a gun that is going to have issues right out of the box. It's a glock...I cannot imagine that it would have any issues, right? </div></div>

i picked up a gen 4 g21 last week as well as a xdm 45. i put 100 rounds through each. neither had any malfunctions. this was taking them right out of the box without cleaning, lubing, or dissasembly, and shooting them slow, fast, etc. all ammo was cheap wwb from walmart.

i shot a little better with the xdm, and it fit the hand a little better.

the glock would throw brass at my head or neck area a few times.

the xdm's trigger broke a little better, but you had to pull it further to fire which i didnt like. the glocks trigger break seemed a little more predictable, but was rougher.

the glock pushed your wrist strait back more and the xdm had more muzzle flip, although it was not much more nor a problem.

if i could only have one, it would be a tough pick.

i also had a m&p 45 on hand. it wasnt a bad gun, but ill prob be selling it.

Did you try field stripping either gun? Especially the glock? I am interested to know if they got the kinks worked out so it requires little effort to field strip and clean.

Were you shooting ball ammo or JHP's?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SteelShot11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you try field stripping either gun? Especially the glock? I am interested to know if they got the kinks worked out so it requires little effort to field strip and clean.

Were you shooting ball ammo or JHP's? </div></div>

Kinks? Once the chamber has been guaranteed clear, a Glock comes apart in 2 seconds - literaly...

Great info on REAL world testing.

Prices on gen 3 vs gen 4 are not enough to worry about. I dislike the finger notch for the mag. Never did like it and added a mag well to my full size gen 2.

J&G is about a block from my shop and they have some gen 4's for a fair price. I have not shot the XDM so until I do that I will wait. Local shop has rental guns in the gen 4 and XDM. Might have to give both of them a side by side.

I think the next time I'm at the local indoor pistol range I will try to test shoot a gen 3 and a 4 just to see what I like more.

Thanks for the info gents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SteelShot11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you try field stripping either gun? Especially the glock? I am interested to know if they got the kinks worked out so it requires little effort to field strip and clean.

Were you shooting ball ammo or JHP's? </div></div>

I'm very curious what you mean here. Glocks are very simple and easy to field strip. What kinks are you talking about?

I was referring to the new dual spring recoil system that they built for the new gen 4's.....their is alot of "internet chatter" about how the first production guns did not function properly....not sure what these folks were referring to but some said to wait until they get the dual spring recoil system working flawlessly before buying one. Otherwise, the gun runs like a glock should...pull trigger..bang every time.

Never been a huge fan of the 45 cal Glocks. Their slide is just to fat. I would love to see a 21 made with a single stack mag and thinner slide. But none the less they shoot and shoot and shoot.

k9g

Im not sure which way to go. My whole point in getting a glock is the ease of cleaning, simplicity of the design and the fact that they are proven in LEO and combat. Also, I want to get rid of the sig p226 in .357sig so I can standardize my ammo and purchase in bulk.

Sounds like I just need to go the local indoor range and shoot a gen 3 in .45 if I can find one in full size.

On a side note, I live in Houston and none of the major gun shops (including collecetors firearms, academy, carters country etc) carry the new gen 4's in .45 full size..not sure what thats about.

Thanks for all the info guys. This board is great.

I finally found a g21 SF model....it's $680 from the local dealer and comes with 3 mags. Not a bad deal. I learned that the Gen 4's that have had the recoil system fixed have a serial number stamped onto the front part of the dual recoil spring system.....no numbers and you have a glock that has the "old" dual recoil spring....just an fyi.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SteelShot11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I finally found a g21 SF model....it's $680 from the local dealer and comes with 3 mags. Not a bad deal. I learned that the Gen 4's that have had the recoil system fixed have a serial number stamped onto the front part of the dual recoil spring system.....no numbers and you have a glock that has the "old" dual recoil spring....just an fyi. </div></div>

You paid almost $700 for a Glock? Did you put a "clip" in it, too?

For me, the Gen 4 would not be worth it to trade from my gen 3 22. I have fired a gen 4 22. However I do see that there might be an advantage for someone who has giant hands. I know a guy with big hand that carries a Gen 3 22. He could definately take advantage of the larger grip attachment of the gen 4. The smallest grip on the gen 4 didn't seem to help another person with small hands. But, go try one for yourself. If you like it, get it.

Also, a local PD said they had problems with their gen 4s. They claimed that the brass ejected straight towards their face. I didn't see such a thing, wasn't there. Just what I heard. Has anyone heard of this? I don't see why it would be different from any other glock.