• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new gun safe: Liberty? Cannon?

Re: new gun safe: Liberty? Cannon?

I have the Summit Denali safe and I couldn't be happier. It is heavier gauge steel and better fire rating than the liberty. I was also thinking of getting a liberty safe but once I saw the Denali I instantly liked that one better for what you were getting.

Here is a link

Summit Denali Safe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dylanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the Summit Denali safe and I couldn't be happier. It is heavier gauge steel and better fire rating than the liberty. I was also thinking of getting a liberty safe but once I saw the Denali I instantly liked that one better for what you were getting.

Here is a link

Summit Denali Safe </div></div>
Where'd you buy your Denali please?

I have the Liberty Franklin, the biggest one they make. It's been great, plenty of room to grow. Like they say get the BIGGEST one you can afford. You will run out of space.

I have the Cabela's Ambassador (Liberty Lincoln) and I feel it is one of the best investments you can make to safeguard your firearms and valuables. I researched safes for over 3 months.
Get the best, and you won't regret it!

I purchased a Liberty from Gander Mountain when they were running a sale. It is fire rated and I couldn't be happier.

+1 To MwPX - Sturdysafe will eventually be added to my own. It don't look like much but does it truly matter??

Cannon is nice.

Graffunder

FT Knox - owners seem to be very happy

the biggest difference in the safes are the fire rating and that dictates costs. Just make sure you have plenty of growing room for future purchases.

Buy the best you can afford. Any quality safe is better than nothing. I got a Liberty Centurion at Atwoods several years ao for $500 and I sleep much better a night. I know theres better but its very good. Its rated at 1200 for 30 min, walls seem good and strong and has a claimed 24 gun capacity, I've got 20 in it and its FULL. I've moved it twice with the help a couple of stought boys and good equipment, was'nt fun. Be buying another when funds permit but am also concidering a safe room of some kind.

okie

Not to be Debbie Downer here, but most of these safes are running 10 or 12 gauge bodies. While they will afford adequate protection from a smash and grabber, anyone with a little safe and metal G2 would be able to defeat that without much trouble or time. The Metal Devil saw blades would make quick work of that steel. Just make sure you use a layered approach to security with regards to your safe and you should be okay.

All true. I promise though the two times I've ben broken into, the ass holes didn't even know what a "Metal Devil" saw blade was, much less have one with them or anything other than a brick and a piece of pipe, they were looking for targets of opportunity. I still have my guns. 90% of those cowardly pieces of shit dont want to risk taking the time to cut through a decent safe. JMO and experience.

okie

I'll also put in a vote for Sturdysafe. I had Terry build me one that was a little custom in size. Body is 7 ga. with a 5/16" door, hardplate, 3" of ceramic and high temp glass fire protection (compressed to 2" on the sides and back), and a 10 ga. inner lining. It doesn't have the beautiful finish of my brother's Fort Knox, but I think that is is more safe for the money. We each paid 4 grand, but I wouldn't trade mine for his.

Boy did I learn a lot in a couple days! My bias is toward 7 gauge minimum. I'm not too concerned with fire. I am concerned with getting it in the house. My 57" rear projection TV was hard enough...
My short list is Sturdy, AMSEC BF, Summit Denali or Everest, Brown, and the Graffunder.

AMSEC BF lists its wall thickness as 2". Anybody know if the BF is 7 gauge steel at least?

If somebody wants your stuff bad enough, they will get it no matter what you have. If your house burns down no fire rating will protect it cause the fire department won't get there for 15 minutes at least. Just an expensive oven. Still they make great places to keep your stuff, at least keep your friends and family out of your goodies, mainly your nosey neighbors and kids. I got the biggest Liberty made and love it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: targaflorio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Boy did I learn a lot in a couple days! My bias is toward 7 gauge minimum. I'm not too concerned with fire. I am concerned with getting it in the house. My 57" rear projection TV was hard enough...
My short list is Sturdy, AMSEC BF, Summit Denali or Everest, Brown, and the Graffunder.

AMSEC BF lists its wall thickness as 2". Anybody know if the BF is 7 gauge steel at least? </div></div>

The safe industry is about as bad as a used car salesman. Companies routinely tout thickness, such as AMSEC's BF 2" wall thickness. What you have there is a 11 gauge outer, 2" of their drylight fill, and a 16 gauge inner liner. Another scam is the "2.5 inch composite door" what they don't explain is that it's really lots of drywall between thin sheets of metal. At the SHOT Show I was looking at a Liberty and their big bolts, sure the bolts may be 1.5" or whatever they were, but look inside the door and they're attached with a 3/8" or so threaded bolt. Again, enough to keep your smash and grabbers out, but not someone with time and tools. If your sold on the 7 gauge, then Sturdy is probably your best bang for the buck. Brown Safe Co also makes some non-fire proof B-rate (.25" body and .5" door) that cost more, but you're paying for all that extra steel.

Remember, layered approach. Time and adversary path, work to put layers between that path and create time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krecon1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: targaflorio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Boy did I learn a lot in a couple days! My bias is toward 7 gauge minimum. I'm not too concerned with fire. I am concerned with getting it in the house. My 57" rear projection TV was hard enough...

AMSEC BF lists its wall thickness as 2". Anybody know if the BF is 7 gauge steel at least? </div></div>

The safe industry is about as bad as a used car salesman. Companies routinely tout thickness, such as AMSEC's BF 2" wall thickness. What you have there is a 11 gauge outer, 2" of their drylight fill, and a 16 gauge inner liner. Another scam is the "2.5 inch composite door" what they don't explain is that it's really lots of drywall between thin sheets of metal. At the SHOT Show I was looking at a Liberty and their big bolts, sure the bolts may be 1.5" or whatever they were, but look inside the door and they're attached with a 3/8" or so threaded bolt. Again, enough to keep your smash and grabbers out, but not someone with time and tools. If your sold on the 7 gauge, then Sturdy is probably your best bang for the buck. Brown Safe Co also makes some non-fire proof B-rate (.25" body and .5" door) that cost more, but you're paying for all that extra steel.

Remember, layered approach. Time and adversary path, work to put layers between that path and create time.

</div></div> Right on. I agree. Stealth, confusion, multiple layers of defense. Makes me think of the classic boulder scene in the original Indiana Jones I was watching with my son last night. Add some quick sand, poisoned arrows, a tribe of pygmies, swinging door full of daggers - good to go!
smile.gif

Mostly I just want to feel safe from punks with axes and crow bars.

Me too (2 Libertys) but sorry I didn't just get the largest available one the first time. Explaining why you need a second safe is an interesting experience.
There's no such thing as a safe that's too large.

If I had known about Pendleton before I bought my Patriot off of Ebay I would have purchased the largest one they sell. You can check them out here: Pendleton Safes

I will second the fact that you want to get as big as possible. I have three safes currently. Well, one safe and two of the Stack On "security cabinets." I try to keep my more expensive, rare, etc. guns in the large "fireproof" safe but it is full so I have guns in the Stack On cabinets too. They will definitely keep the kids and nosey visitors out but are no match for a sawzall.

I agree with others that anyone determined to get your guns (or anything else for that matter) can do it. It's like a car alarm, it won't keep someone from stealing it but it hopefully will make them look for an easier mark. A guy I know that used to sell Browning safes had a customer that had one stolen. They didn't want to spend time cracking the safe at the house so they ripped it up (along with a big chunk of the concrete slab) and stole the whole thing. They never got it open and ditched the safe. Of course throughout the theft all of the guns were ruined cosmetically from getting bounced around inside and against each other.

You might also look into Fort Knox safes. I guess they are still around, I've had mine for 20 + years.

3/8" Plate door, internal hinges, 14 active locking lugs, Sergeant and Greenleaf lock and Sportsman interior with space for 15 long guns and plenty of shelves for other stuff.

Paul