• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New guy here, saying hi and asking a few questions

SSgtRage

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
29 Palms, CA
Howdy all. Been looking around here for a bit so I decided to register, and start asking some questions here and there. First off, I'm a SSgt in the USMC, currently stationed in Southern California. Never owned a bolt gun before, but am looking at pulling the trigger per say on a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308. I've heard many good things about the 700 platform along with the myriad of aftermarket support for the platform. My plan is to build it up to a tactical long range platform (plenty of great long range shooting out here in the desert area) I'll be looking to upgrade the stock, get some good optics of course, swap it from the floor plate design to a detachable box magazine, and of course a few other modifications here and there.

You'll have to bear with me as I'm not savvy to all the lingo being used around here, but I catch on pretty quick. Any recommendations as to what stocks/box mag combos to use would be much appreciated.

Re: New guy here, saying hi and asking a few questions

I really like Manners T4's w Badger m5 dbm. I currently have a T4 with their new mini- chassis installed on order. Wait time is running about 16 weeks currently for custom stocks.

Welcome to the Hide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m14er</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like Manners T4's w Badger m5 dbm. I currently have a new T4 with their new mini- chassis installed. Wait time is running about 16 weeks currently.

Welcome to the Hide. </div></div>

Thanks for the welcome, and pretty much the only thing I got out of that was DBM = Detachable Box Magazine. Is there somewhere here on the site where there is an acronym listing?

www.mannersstocks.com

Everything you could want to know is there. There is also a "Stock Builder" section there to pick and choose options.

Several pictures there to see exactly what you would be getting.

DK

Appreciate the great info. Thanks. As soon as I actually get the rifle, I'll be sure to post some pictures.

My personal favorite is the MCS-T3 that I have now, but I have also had the MCS-T. That stands for Manners Composite Stock Tactical Style 3. At least that I what I believe it stands for... LOL!!

DK

Here is mine...
GAP3.jpg

Every stock worth owning uses AICS mags you'll find. High end conventionals are either Manners or McMillan. Then you have the AICS which is either loved or hated. Finally you have chassis type like McRee, XLR, etc. Mid-range conventional stocks worth buying are usually along the lines of HS Precision or B&C. You usually can't go wrong with a 700 and that's probably what everybody starts with and us poor stay with, lol.

Welcome and thank you for your service.

And welcome to the Hide... read alot, learn alot, apply what you have learned ALOT. Enjoy your stay!!

DK

There are some good deals on used rifles right now. By the time you get a different stock, Bed it, get the trigger right, get a mount, a new stock of your choice, bed it, and then put in a good bottom metal you will have as much or more in as buying a nice professionally built gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobcatT870</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are some good deals on used rifles right now. By the time you get a different stock, Bed it, get the trigger right, get a mount, a new stock of your choice, bed it, and then put in a good bottom metal you will have as much or more in as buying a nice professionally built gun. </div></div>

^^^ what he said.

Get as much info as you can before you buy anything. The info is free, and mistakes cost money. This is by far the best forum of it's kind. The stocks already suggested above are at the top of the game. Welcome to Snipers Hide.

Yeah, I have seen some pretty good deals on used, already built rifles out there, but for me, there is more of a sense of accomplishment when firing a weapon that you took from run of the mill, out of the box to what you had in your minds eye for it to be.

Welcome SSgt!! Thanks for your continuing service. I to like the accomplishment of assembling my own rifle. My first build was a Remington 700 SPS .308 with 20" barrel. Added a Badger DBM, M40A5 spec McMillan stock and US Optics ST-10 etc. It is a great all around shooter. Either way you go, you are going to be investing some serious money into it. My next one will be crafted by a professional.

SSgt,
There is a bazillion combinations that all offer awasome platforms. Top of the line stocks are Manners, AICS, Mcmillian, Mcree, with one or 2 others, but these are the most popular.
Bottom metals are preferential. Top of the line is the Badger M5, Surgeon and Seekins brands. Like the stocks, there are others, less money, each with their own + and -. DBMs are more of a convenience to the shooter. Stocks, or the quality of, can effect accuracy, where a DBM may have use in matches where time is an issue, so pick and choose your priorities.

Before dropping coin in the $450-1000 range on a stock or parts, get the rifle and shoot the piss out of it. If your shooting needs dictate the use of a DBM, there you go. Maybe all you will need is a B&C stock and put all your money to the optics or handloading. Either way, if you let us, we will have no problem building your rifle for you. The best thing about this hobby is the rifles are like fingerprints.

Well, I put the first payment down on the 700 SPS Tactical .308 today, so now starts the shopping list. I would like some input on a few items that will be needed out the gate, such as an optics mount (I'd prefer to use a picatinny style, whether one piece or two piece is still undetermined) REASONABLY priced optics (I don't need anything crazy, just good clarity, preferably with turrets that give positive and tactical feedback (as in solid clicks during adjustments). I have a Harris bipod back in VA, but will have to grab it next month to see exactly how it mounts. Can anyone provide me some different options for these items along with personal experience and pros/cons? I would greatly appreciate it.

You gotta price range? That will tend to put your options into perspective. You could start with a Bushnell Elite 10x Tactical Mil/mil, EGW 20moa base, TPS rings that will put you in the $350ish range. Or there is the other route of a S&B, NXS, USO, Leupold. You can find them in ranges of $950-3500, with the higher tier mounts/rings in the 350 and up range.

Also, pick up some ammo. Regardless of what optics you choose, pick up a variety. Federal has the Gold Medal Match, Black Hills, Winchester, Remington, Corbon, Fiocchi, Hornady all offer a .308 Win match. A box of 20 each allows for 4 5-shot groups. The variety will give you days of test ammo. Shoot in diffrent weight bullets. Do the tests at 100 yds. Bring a log book and record everything you have done, the results, accuracy of the brands...ect. This will let you know what you need to get to stock up on. Reloading is a diffrent story, one I highly recommend. Get some cheap ammo, this will let you work on technique amd trigger pull. The most important thing you spend on this rifle is time. This is the best way to determaine what you will need as opposed to arbitrarily spending money.

Desertrat - Thanks for pointing me in the right direction as far as something entry level. Looks like just what I was looking for. I know all about keeping logs of my shooting (thank you USMC annual rifle qual). I'll be sure to start stocking up on different ammo so that I can figure out which one shoots the best for me. Again, much appreciated.

EGW make a good 20MOA base, which is what you want for a .308
If you have the money, a Badger would probably be my bet. But they're pricey and for your first precision rifle, could definitely be something you leave for later.

Bushnell Elite 4200 scopes are pretty well priced. As are the Vortex Viper PST's (the only reason i didnt get the Vortex was because they weren't available in Australia, i'd definitely get your hands on them before they jack the price up!).

Rings. Well Burris are good if you're on a budget. EGW also do good rings if you're on a bit of a budget. Just remember to get them lapped, instructions for which can be found on the site.
Seekins are about the best i'd say. If you have the money i'd go with them. But they're pricey.

As for Stocks.
Well it's all about fit and feel for the shooter. Best thing you can do is to get behind the stock and at least feel how it... feels.
If you can shoot it, even better. I'd suggest an AICS, Manners or McMillan.

It sounds like your off to a good start. After you get the rifle together and start shooting. You might keep your eye on the classifieds for an hs precision pss take off stock. They usually run about $200 and make a difference in accuracy. The best part is if you decide you want something else, your only out shipping.

This has been my only high end after market stock. But it replaced my HS precision that came on the 7005R. I adore my MCM A5, despite it's price (500$) without adjustable LOP and cheek weld. It makes for a very comfortable rifle IMO. Palm swell is perfect for me also, but then again i have small hands so it could be annoying to someone with larger hands. It also comes default with a pachmayr decelerator recoil pad which is wonderful. I've also been eager to try manners and more than likely my next build will sport a manners 2T-A. There are options like those (manners & MCM) which will require some form of bedding whether it be an aluminum block, glass/pillar, etc. So final price isn't set at 500$ your almost looking at around 700-900$ depending on what the smith charges for bedding.

Then you have a very well known drop in Chasis such as the AICS, also pricey though will run about 700+ or so IIRC. Haven't checked in a while.

Here is what little i've done with my 5R over the years.
36028_1337146910490_1285620147_30773994_326575_n.jpg

AICS is always a good option, buy second hand and they'll hold their resale value relatively well, especially the folders.

AICS is always a good option, buy second hand and they'll hold their resale value relatively well, especially the folders.

I really like the Mc Millan A-4 it fits so perfect. you should see if you can feel one of your fellow Marine Snipers rifle its what they use on the M-40. Get in a club and you can feel a lot of different stocks to make a decision on what you personally like.

Thanks for your service & welcome to this looney bin! There is a lot of good advice and a lot of BS here, you just have to wade through it. I started with a SPS Varmint with the POS factory stock & a Leatherwood scope. I upgraded to a 5R takeoff stock, Bushnell Elite 4200 Tactical 6-24 & a Rifle Basix trigger. I also have McMillan A4 on another rifle. Two totally different stocks, but I like both of them. I tried an AICS and it was too small for me. Try every good stock you can get your hands on, you'll know when you find the right one. For rings & base, I have Ken Farrell and I'm happy with them. My scope are the Bushnell & a Sightron SIII 8-32 and have no complaints. Good luck with your rifle, have fun & show us some group pics.

Welcome! My first 308 was a SPS in an AICS stock and then I put it into a KRG (Kinetic Research Group) and I have been shooting it at 1000yds with boringly accurate results.

You will eventually end up with a Remington based bolt gun, in some sort of chassis/stock that uses AICS mags. You will then top it with a NF or USO and then eventually a S&B. Don't fight it. . . it will happen. You just need to embrace the natural evolution and realize that it may not happen tomorrow, or next month, or next year. But it will happen, and you will be addicted, and broke.

You may even get bored and try something nifty and different like a Desert Tactical - such as what I have now embraced. You will then find satisfaction . . . for a little while. Then you'll seek out that perfect caliber that shoots holes in holes at 1 mile because that's what we're all striving for, be it impossible or not!

Have fun, read a lot, and try to learn how to seperate the BS from facts. Happy shooting!