• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new guy looking for advice for a bolt action

techcomdude2029

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2021
US
Hello, Long time lurker and just recently joined the long range shooting game.

I am looking for some advice, I want a rifle like described below , it's a Bergara highlander with a 20inch barrel. the article below says it's in 308. but i am looking for one in 6.5 CM. I can't seem to find one in that size in 6.5, anyone know if they make a 20in highlander in 6.5?

so I need some advice, I was going to do one of two things either find something similar or have something custom made ( if custom I would prefer to have it cost under $3k for just the rifle, i am willing to spend money on quality).

what I am looking for is a small rifle that can be used as a camp gun, a general purpose rifle, maybe hunting and something that I can take to the range and hit steel, and take a few classes with. I do not want a scout rifle, and I don't really want iron sights.

I am looking for quality, durability, reliability and accuracy, not really looking for match grade accuracy but want something that is decent for a bolt gun with this barrel length.

now I know, why not just buy the 308? well I just got a Springfield m1a in 6.5 (the one with the archangel stock) and I kind of want to try and keep it to 6.5 so I don't add another caliber. so i guess in this day and age should I just add another caliber to my collection and buy the 308? or try and have something custom built in 6.5?

at this time I am not really worried about weight as I do not hunt a lot and don't plan on backpacking with this (i also do like the idea of a bull barrel) I am not really worried about it being fluted like the one in the article.

I have looked at the Tikka CTR but I will want to change the stock out and some other things but the idea of a custom build is appealing.

I am looking for a quality rifle that I can shoot a lot and train with and just take to the range and hit steel at different distances. I got no problem spending $2 to $3k for just the rifle for a custom build as long as it is quality. at this time I am not looking to get into matches or anything just want a simple yet quality bolt action that I can have with me when I go camping or to the range. something small and compact that when needed fits in the truck and is handy (but no scouts). would the 22 or 24 inch models work for this case? I have AR's but looking for a bolt and am new to the Bolt action game ( I have shot them plenty just don't own one now)

any advice is appreciated

If you can drop 2-3k you can build a great rifle. And if you’re gonna drop that much forget about bergara. A tikka in a chassis with a new barrel is extremely popular.
Im more of a fan of the origin/tenacity/nucleus in a chassis with a barrel nut prefit. But basically you can do what you want for that budget so do some googling and see what it is that’s actually appealing to you.

I just pick up a bighorn origin action and cant say enough good things about it. Good price, and versatile. You can run barrel nut, shoulder, multiple case head size. Makes Remington and Savage just look meh. I have only handled 1 tikka and it was very nice for a factory gun. Did I mention I really love my Origin ! 😂

Last edited: