• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New guy with calculation questions

DocDAJ

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2014
Northern Nevada
Hi All, I'm new to long distance shooting and I have a calculation question. I was sighting in my new rifle: R 700 police, 26 in heavy barrel, 6-24x50 vortex and I put a Timney trigger in it. Anyway, I was shooting Federal Gold Metal 168gr Sierra Match King hpbt. Supposed to be 2600 fps and I don't have a chronometer. Here's my dilemma: I was shooting clover leaf groups at 100yds consistently. I made 1 mrad adjustment in elevation during sight in which predictably was exactly 3.6 inches. At 200 yds I expected .55 mrad drop or 4.1 in. But it was only 3 in drop. Why is my calculation so far off?

+1 on velocity. Keep in mind as you push distance, altitude air density and ambient temperature will play a role
In drag/drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sight height will also play a role at this distance. Basically, garbage in = garbage out.

Dont get too wound up about calculations. Those are basically models to get you in the ball park. Once you get to the range (aka the real world) you can then gather the actual come up at each distance. It may or may not match your calculations (way too many variables in the real world). Doesnt matter because you just saw and recorded the data. Dont really need a chronograph either. Just shoot the gun, adjust and confirm your dope at distance and gather all environmental conditions. I know thats not en vogue lately, but its the best way to gather actual dope that will work. Good luck