• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Here...…..

StringBender

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2018
…...bought a Tikka Tac A1 6.5 CM a few weeks ago and have been shopping for a scope and mount ever since (of course, I have to decide on a scope b4 the mount). Doing a lot of reading. I am a little numb at the moment.....kind of like a kid in a candy store deciding how best to spend his lawn mowing money. Thanks for all the knowledge shared here - it's a great place to learn.

Honestly look at Athlon for the money you cant go wrong. Unless you have the Vortex military discount or 1000+ dollars. I dont think youll be disappointed, in something like an Ares.

You'll get 100 different recommendations here, but just remember.......you get what you pay for! You already purchased a very nice rifle, now treat it to a proper optic! Look at where they are made! I personally don't do China or the Philippines. I try to stick with German and Austrian makers. Japan and US made scopes come next in my book but again, that's just my opinion.

Good luck!

Thank you machtech for your input and I agree totally. I have a bit of experience with good glass......a ton of hunting in big country where I upgraded to alpha binos and spotting scopes many years ago. The difference between good glass and great glass becomes quickly apparent after hours of glassing and there is no going back after that. I have had very good scopes on rifles, but never a scope anywhere close to what people today would consider an alpha scope and never anything that would be considered tactical.

I've been watching for deals on S&B PMII's as many are referring to them as getting "long in the tooth" and both used and new prices seem to be coming down. I am also intrigue by the Athlon Cronus as a value play, but might wait for the floating dot reticle later this fall. And who knows what might pop up later today in the marketplace.

Fairly new here myself. 1000 people will tell you to buy this scope or that scope for this reason or that reason. In my opinion, your best bet is to figure out what type of reticle you prefer for your eye,type and range of shooting you will most often be doing and then go out and actually handle the scopes you think you are interested in. This will give you an idea of the build quality,weight,etc.

Fairly new here myself. 1000 people will tell you to buy this scope or that scope for this reason or that reason. In my opinion, your best bet is to figure out what type of reticle you prefer for your eye,type and range of shooting you will most often be doing and then go out and actually handle the scopes you think you are interested in. This will give you an idea of the build quality,weight,etc.

Edit: just saw the post that said you already had lots of glass experience with glass. Have fun with your new rig.

Nightforce Extreme Ultralight 1.50" rings (PN A269)
Sightron SIII 8-32x56 scope (PN 25149)
MOA-2 reticle (Made in Japan)
Graf & Sons has this scope on sale for $697 + shipping
I have this combo on my TAC A1 and have no regrets.

This is the problem with the interwebs. People will say stuff like the above poster while the OP is interested in PM2's and such....

There is a 3-20 PM2 with H2CMR for 2500$ on the exchange. Thats a good buy all day long. You'll see them come and go quickly. I prefer the 5-25, but I've had the 3-20 and wouldn't hesiste to own one again. If you can spend some time on a Schimdt, and then look through pretty much anything else and you'll see why they are expensive. I would look away from Athlon if you're serious about optics. The Cornus is ok, but one must remember its not going to be anything close to a Schmidt. Gen 2 Razor best buy for your buck, NF 5-25 is about the same price range as some PM2's (I'm not a fan of the Mil-r, but like the Mil-c which I've seen recently for ~24-2500), Kahles (gen 3) are also worth a look. Can't go wrong with any of the above! Good luck!

Thanks for the heads-up Shaner. I am leaning in the "buy new" direction although not ruling out a near new deal. I just missed a brand new S&B PMII 5-25 P4 Fine MRAD on Scopelist last week for $2395...….Just a little slow on my feet and, of course, it disappeared pretty quick. Not in a huge hurry.

Reactions: Shanerbanner10
Definitely get a nice piece of glass for that tikka. Don’t gotta spend 4k but get something you won’t want to upgrade in a year

This is the problem with the interwebs. People will say stuff like the above poster while the OP is interested in PM2's and such....

There is a 3-20 PM2 with H2CMR for 2500$ on the exchange. Thats a good buy all day long. You'll see them come and go quickly. I prefer the 5-25, but I've had the 3-20 and wouldn't hesiste to own one again. If you can spend some time on a Schimdt, and then look through pretty much anything else and you'll see why they are expensive. I would look away from Athlon if you're serious about optics. The Cornus is ok, but one must remember its not going to be anything close to a Schmidt. Gen 2 Razor best buy for your buck, NF 5-25 is about the same price range as some PM2's (I'm not a fan of the Mil-r, but like the Mil-c which I've seen recently for ~24-2500), Kahles (gen 3) are also worth a look. Can't go wrong with any of the above! Good luck!

FYI - I just gave my 2 cents worth because of what the OP wrote....
"...who knows what might pop up later today in the marketplace."
Don't be so quick to pass judgement Shaner. I was just trying to pass on some info from which I have nothing to gain from. I have received a lot of good information from this site and was just trying to be helpful.

Thanks for the heads-up Shaner. I am leaning in the "buy new" direction although not ruling out a near new deal. I just missed a brand new S&B PMII 5-25 P4 Fine MRAD on Scopelist last week for $2395...….Just a little slow on my feet and, of course, it disappeared pretty quick. Not in a huge hurry.

Pick the reticle that most suites you. Tree’s are not required for PRS. I love the H2CMR. You should be able to find them for ~2400-3k$ options depending. Let me know if you have any questions.