• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New high power Nightforce NX8?

Super interested in the reviews of the 4-32. Hope Joel will do a comparison with the Mark 5 and maybe some others in this price point.
MtnGhost- Yes please post link with your review when finished. Also thanks for the pic's and first impressions. It has a much smaller foot print than I envisioned.

Reactions: Blademan80
The more I read this thread the more sure I am that this will be my next scope (2.5-20 version), only other thought is an AMG.
A 2.5-20 and a 6-24 are pretty far apart regarding magnification, based on the design the AMG is going to be more forgiving with parallax/depth and potentially eyebox.

wjm308, what ever scope i purchase will go on a coyote rifle and shoot out to 50- 300-350 yds max. I've never owned an upper tear scope so before i retire (13 months and 4 days, but who's counting), i thought i would get a nice scope.

wjm308, what ever scope i purchase will go on a coyote rifle and shoot out to 50- 300-350 yds max. I've never owned an upper tear scope so before i retire (13 months and 4 days, but who's counting), i thought i would get a nice scope.
I can't think of a better retirement gift :D That's great. Given your scenario it sounds like the NX8 2.5-20 might be the better scope, I'm getting mine next week and I will be curious how it compares to some of the others. I used to have a March 3-24x52 and loved that scope, but I wasn't a huge fan of the reticle and the parallax was finicky, meaning you had to play with it a bit to get it just right. I am hearing some of the same reports with the NX8 which is to be expected based on the design (high mag erector and short body); however, the Mil-C is a much better reticle IMO than the FML-1, from those who've gotten one they seem to be super impressed which caused me to go out on a limb and grab one up, shoot me a PM and I'll let you know what I think after I get it.

Looking to upgrade my scope from a athlon midas tac 6-24 next spring. Would the 2.5-20 be good for prs or should I spring the extra 200 for the 4-32?

Looking to upgrade my scope from a athlon midas tac 6-24 next spring. Would the 2.5-20 be good for prs or should I spring the extra 200 for the 4-32?
Complete personal preference there. I am rarely at the upper end of my mag range, however, it doesn't hurt to have it. I'm going to get the 2.5-20, because I want that lower-end usability for hunting. I find myself shooting in the 15-18 power area during matches at max mostly, so the 20 will be fine for me. This is going on a gas gun for me.

Just think about what end of the spectrum you put value on, if you want more on the higher end, then the extra $200 for it should be a no-brainer.

Yea. 2.5 compared to 4 isn't bad. I can still use it for hunting where I live
4 is completely do-able. Nothing wrong with it at all. Hunted for years with the standard 3-9.

Personally, I think it is awesome getting a scope as close to 1x as you can, with the ability to crank to 20 and shoot long range with it. But again, that is just personal preference.

I've got higher power optics on my bolt guns, and I'm not knocking the higher end at all (I took my 4.5-27 Razor hunting this year). It defintely has its place, and I enjoy having it in those applications.

The 2.5-20 is going to make a sweet hunting/competition scope that covers all ranges, I think it'll be well suited for a gas gun.

Has anyone mounted one of these on a Barrett Fieldcraft? I’m trying to keep mine lightweight, but the 2.5-20 really has my attention for a hunting scope. Would be interested to hear how it balances/feels on a very lightweight rifle.

For anyone interested, I recorded some video yesterday showing the 4-32 looking at targets at 35m, 10m, 175m, 335m. These are what I shoot with the PCP air rifle that I had it mounted on, at the end of the video I penned up at a hill that sits right around 1000m. The mirage kicked up earlier than usual and I was using my SideShot + iPhone, so it's not IMAX quality.

Here's the YouTube and Vimeo links to the upload:

I am curious how the Mil-C compares in thickness to say the SKMR series from Kahles? I find at times the SKMR is too thin and gets lost with busy backgrounds.

I've run both and much prefer the Mil-C. It's much easier to pick up the lines. The SKMR is too thin/short for my taste. Need to be at like 16x to use it. The Mil-C I can use down to like 12-13x. This is a big deal to me as I'm usually around 15x.

Reactions: km77
I've run both and much prefer the Mil-C. It's much easier to pick up the lines. The SKMR is too thin/short for my taste. Need to be at like 16x to use it. The Mil-C I can use down to like 12-13x. This is a big deal to me as I'm usually around 15x.
That's good to know, I find the SKMR series to be a bit too thin for my aging eyes, I can use it of course, but prefer something a bit thicker

What rings are you using? Really nice looking rifle! Thanks for sharing photos!
Those are 6-Screw NF UltraLite .885 (A264) I had them in hand and the height was perfect. I'd have done fine with NF 4-Screw Ultralites (A118) and they would have allowed for a bit more eye relief both fore and aft.

Does anyone know if the 2.5-20 will fit in a Spuhr mount?

somewhere in this thread there's a comment. it just clears iirc
Yep, I just saw that. For some reason when I searched it only showed @wake.joe 4-30. I scrolled back and saw it does fit the 2.5-20. Thank you.

I had to cut my rail ba k, but otherwise I'd say I guessed the right size rings

Attachments

• 15646038341344113089578220069721.jpg
    15646038341344113089578220069721.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 218
Reactions: km77
Hey guys, this may have been mentioned already, but where are these made/assembled?

I just sold my NXS F1, pretty keen on one of these for a little more mag plus improved glass i would imagine.

Cheers

The NX8’s are assembled in the US, but they’re marked Made in Japan.

I just discussed this with the NF Rep at New England PRS Ridgeline last weekend. The main tubes for the NX8 are machined in Japan, unlike the ATACR and NXS whose main tubes are machined in the US. They’re all assembled here with US and Japanese components.

Reactions: jafo96
The NX8’s are assembled in the US, but they’re marked Made in Japan.

I just discussed this with the NF Rep at New England PRS Ridgeline last weekend. The main tubes for the NX8 are machined in Japan, unlike the ATACR and NXS whose main tubes are machined in the US. They’re all assembled here with US and Japanese components.

Ok great, thanks for that. So the NXS line is still a Japan/US built scope also. Somebody just told me he thought the new NXS scopes come out of China. I found that very hard to believe.

Does anyone have thoughts on the NX8 vs the Athlon Midas TAC for a 22LR trainer? I have a 5-25 ATACR on my LR rig and 2.5-10 NXS on my SPR so I’m definitely a NF fan and would appreciate the commonality, just trying to get a sanity check considering the 3x price difference.

If they all are using the same reticle, I can't see a better reason to get the nightforce. I've put mine through around 800 rounds from my bolt gun so far, and I absolutely love it.

If they all are using the same reticle, I can't see a better reason to get the nightforce. I've put mine through around 800 rounds from my bolt gun so far, and I absolutely love it.

Mil-C on the ATACR and Mil-R on the NXS, but close enough. NX8 makes all the sense in the world except when it comes to my wallet’s health.

Does anyone have thoughts on the NX8 vs the Athlon Midas TAC for a 22LR trainer? I have a 5-25 ATACR on my LR rig and 2.5-10 NXS on my SPR so I’m definitely a NF fan and would appreciate the commonality, just trying to get a sanity check considering the 3x price difference.
Hitch, I’m about to put out a review on my NX8 2.5-20; however, I will say that close up targets start to get this warble effect where if your eye is not perfectly centered the image starts to look like a funhouse mirror and distorts with minor shift of the eyes. I’m going to do one final test tomorrow to see if I can get this distortion to settle down a bit, but I’d be concerned if this scopes primary purpose was short range work.

Hitch, I’m about to put out a review on my NX8 2.5-20; however, I will say that close up targets start to get this warble effect where if your eye is not perfectly centered the image starts to look like a funhouse mirror and distorts with minor shift of the eyes. I’m going to do one final test tomorrow to see if I can get this distortion to settle down a bit, but I’d be concerned if this scopes primary purpose was short range work.
? Ive noticed some of this also on my 4-32 but i really worked on my adjustable cheek and felt i was able to rid the scope of this issue... I will say eye alignment seems a little less forgiving than my 7-35 ATACR for sure but to me optical quality is closer between the 2 than i was expecting.

Overall I think its a good piece priced right.

I dont really know of anything in that $range that really competes and has the features that the nx8 (4-32 anyways) has.

? Ive noticed some of this also on my 4-32 but i really worked on my adjustable cheek and felt i was able to rid the scope of this issue... I will say eye alignment seems a little less forgiving than my 7-35 ATACR for sure but to me optical quality is closer between the 2 than i was expecting.

Overall I think its a good piece priced right.

I dont really know of anything in that $range that really competes and has the features that the nx8 (4-32 anyways) has.
Overall I'd have to agree, the optical quality with regard to contrast, resolution and CA was shockingly good. The distortion is just a side effect of the 8x erector and short scope design, it may bother some but may not bother others, but I'm pretty shocked NF is selling these at $2k!

Reactions: 5RWill

When you say "close" up how close are these targets and at what magnification setting?

When you say "close" up how close are these targets and at what magnification setting?
From about 30 feet - 40 yards is where I was testing for close range. Distortion seems to be pretty bad between about 5x - 16x but surprisingly is better below 5x (I was expecting it to be worse like in the March) and higher magnification almost always tames this distortion. If you have a good solid cheekweld it will definitely help tone things down, but I can also detect quite a bit of edge distortion beyond the warble effect. Again, we are not shooting things at the edges so it shouldn't affect your ability to put rounds on target, but it is something to be aware of.

Also, I'm not saying it could not be used for close range work, it's just something to be aware of if that is your primary focus.

It's difficult to explain exactly what is going on because the clarity is still up there around the center, I am not sure if I can capture what is happening in pictures or possibly a video

Last edited:
At near or far ranges? I'm assuming it has not affected your ability to hit the target?
Exactly, not at all as I'm dialing elevation and just holding wind so my focus is still in the center of the reticle. After I read you talk about it, I tested it inside 50 yards but out to 900 across all mag ranges it was spot on.

I wear prescription glasses, and notice if I'm not right where I need to be it's gets distorted, but to be fair that could just be my glasses kind of problem.

Exactly, not at all as I'm dialing elevation and just holding wind so my focus is still in the center of the reticle. After I read you talk about it, I tested it inside 50 yards but out to 900 across all mag ranges it was spot on.

I wear prescription glasses, and notice if I'm not right where I need to be it's gets distorted, but to be fair that could just be my glasses kind of problem.
Well I mounted it up on one of my rifles and settled into a proper cheekweld and it definitely toned the warbling effect down; however, I could still tell there was a fair amount of outer edge distortion throughout much of the mag range. Parallax was still pretty finicky (especially at close distances under 100 yds) but once dialed properly was spot on, no reticle movement in the center. Since we are typically shooting at targets with the crosshairs in the center this should affect center punching; however, for anyone who might use this to scan for targets like in a PRS style competition, I can see how the edge distortion might be a hindrance. Having had experience with March scopes previously I am not surprised at these issues as they are very similar to what I experienced with the March, but the NX8 is over a $1000 less when you consider illumination (by the way the illumination on the NX8 is fantastic and daylight bright to boot).

Well I mounted it up on one of my rifles and settled into a proper cheekweld and it definitely toned the warbling effect down; however, I could still tell there was a fair amount of outer edge distortion throughout much of the mag range. Parallax was still pretty finicky (especially at close distances under 100 yds) but once dialed properly was spot on, no reticle movement in the center. Since we are typically shooting at targets with the crosshairs in the center this should affect center punching; however, for anyone who might use this to scan for targets like in a PRS style competition, I can see how the edge distortion might be a hindrance. Having had experience with March scopes previously I am not surprised at these issues as they are very similar to what I experienced with the March, but the NX8 is over a $1000 less when you consider illumination (by the way the illumination on the NX8 is fantastic and daylight bright to boot).

What he said.

The size and weight are very very nice,but remember......its a 2k scope, not 3k and not $1000-1500 but 2k. Fits the price point perfectly (in my opinion at least).

Overall I'd have to agree, the optical quality with regard to contrast, resolution and CA was shockingly good. The distortion is just a side effect of the 8x erector and short scope design, it may bother some but may not bother others, but I'm pretty shocked NF is selling these at $2k!

Curious Bill what would you compare it to? I was very impressed with the atacr i just sold. So much so that i am for sure going to have an NX8 in the future. Has spr written all over it.

Curious Bill what would you compare it to? I was very impressed with the atacr i just sold. So much so that i am for sure going to have an NX8 in the future. Has spr written all over it.
Hard to compare it to anything really, it is unique. I think the closest comparison is the March 3-24x52 - both scopes use an 8x erector, both are in a short body and both sport 30mm tubes. It's been a while since I had my 3-24x52 so I cant do a side by side today but I remember the March at the low end suffered from edge distortion, I see something very similar in the NX8. I was thinking for my AR-15 and also for my 10/22, but both I would want to shoot at times under 100yds, especially the 10/22 so I'm trying to ascertain if the close focus having the pronounced distortion is going to bother me; my eye prefers edge to edge sharpness and I find myself being distracted by the distortion around the edge of the sight picture. I will try and make my decision tomorrow and wrap up my mini review of the scope.

What sunshade are you using? I know I read somewhere else that a different model NF sunshade fits these new NX8 scopes but don't recall which one specifically.

GREAT question....my NX8 did not come with a sun shade, which I just realized when I read your comment.

I just had a totally crazy idea re. the sunshade. I will contact Nightforce directly and ask! Will post what response I get. :)