• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Hogue vs B&C Medallist vs HS Precision

r_boyette

Private
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2009
Alabama
I am in the process of upgrading the stock on my SPS-T, and have come across 3 that interest me while flipping through the Cabela's shooting catalogue. Havent been able to find much in the way of first hand experience with the newer Hogue or B&C

If you have any experience or opinions on any of these, the compare/contrast would be appreciated. I do plan on adding an adjustable cheekpiece of some sort to the stock for a little better cheekweld.
so, in no particular order...

1)Bell & Carlson Medallist Varminter(full-length aluminum bedding block) - Curious as to the ergonomics of this one. I shoot mainly of my bipod or over a pack, but as this rifle sometimes goes to the deer woods, i was curious if the balance would allow for acceptable off-hand shooting?

2)Hogue(w/ Full-length aluminum bedding block)
- I like the way the Hogue on my rifle feels but the flimsy forearm sucks and with my new optics i really need a cheek-rest for prone shooting. Wondering if the full-length bedding block fixes the forearm/barrel touching problem & will drilling into the stock to had aftermarket cheek-piece be a problem with the rubberized stock material?

3)H-S Precision
- I guess i have the least questions about this one. I like that the cheekpiece add-on seems to be common on it. Ive never heard any complaints on the HS bedding system. That coupled with the availabilty and relatively cheap prices for pull-off HS stocks on the net put it pretty high up on the list.

Thanks in advance!

Re: New Hogue vs B&C Medallist vs HS Precision

Russ, where on the net are you finding the cheap HS stocks? I'm building a rifle and haven't decided on a stock yet either. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ark. Trapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Russ, where on the net are you finding the cheap HS stocks? I'm building a rifle and haven't decided on a stock yet either. Thanks </div></div>

Ive found several here in the 'Hide classifieds section under "Optics & Accessories." Also found several on Gunbroker. Search the "Gun Parts" section and do a search to refine it. U will still have some browsing to do but you should be able to find them. I have seen them ranging from $150-$250. They will be pull-off's from Remington PSS, 5R's, & Sendero's

Here's one i found at the bottom of page 1

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1580973&gonew=1#UNREAD

I would go with the Houge full length.

1)The feel is great
2)The full length is really stiff....for what most civilian shooters need in the field.
3)Just get an Eagle stock pack and use low rings...the adjustable cheeks are built for people running big objective scopes and high rings. The stock pack will get you enough heigth with reasonable heigth rings...or add a 1/2" piece of foam under the stock pack.

The HS have a better reputation and resale value but I think that if you try the full length Houge you will not be un-impressed. I had one and sold it before I got the build done (needed money, nothing about the stock) and now I regret it.

I too like the B&C Light Tactical. I didn't care for the HS Precision's palm swell, so I sold the one that I had.

I have no knowledge of the new Hogue.

Good luck.

Get the B&C then get the Karsten's cheek piece on it, then you'll realy have somthing for around 250. If you were closer I'd let you check mine out.

Before I got my AICS, I had an SPS Tactical in a B&C with a Bushnell 50mm objective scope.

It worked just fine with Burris medium rings, no Karsten needed.

So you might be fine with just the stock.

Thats true, My father can't see through my scope cus the cheek weld is to high for him. Buy the stock and figure out if you need the ckeek piece after..