• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report New Hornady 178 BTHP load

Rob01

Staff member
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2001
NC
Hornady just sent out a press release on the new load. It is hitting the market now. Matt Burkett used it last weekend at the AZ TPRC and he was getting 2820fps from a 26" barrel. That's smokin' with a 178 BTHP that has a .530 BC. I have some on order now.

Press release:

Hornady® unveils the next generation of match ammunition - the Superformance™ 308 Win 178 gr BTHP Match. Achieving 2,775 feet per second from a SAAMI spec 24” test barrel, this new load is approximately 175 fps FASTER than any comparable commercial load available today! Topped with the NEW 178 gr BTHP Match bullet featuring a .530 ballistic coefficient, this Superformance™ offering provides industry leading ballistic performance.

"The new 178 grain BTHP Match bullet was purpose built, and optimized specifically for the 308 Winchester chamber. It features an aggressive ogive as well as an extremely efficient boat tail that makes this projectile highly effective aerodynamically, yield less wind drift and allows the shooter to obtain flatter trajectories. Accuracy results were excellent. We shot a .680" group at 200 yards with our test equipment, and field tests out to 1250 yards yielded 8 inch, not 8 MOA, but 8 inch total circumferential groups." – Joe Thielen – Hornady Project Engineer

Remaining supersonic to approximately 1,275 yards, this new load provides a 200 to 250 yard advantage over anything else currently available in 308 Winchester. Because Hornady incorporates its Superformance™ technology, there is no increase in pressure, barrel wear or felt recoil. It also offers incredible temperature stability and excellent accuracy potential.

"When we combine this high B.C. match bullet with our Superformance™ propellants, the result is a completely new load specifically designed to maximize every aspect of the 308 Winchester." – Dave Emary – Hornady Senior Ballistician

Founded in 1949, Hornady Manufacturing Company is a family owned business headquartered in Grand Island, Nebraska. Proudly manufacturing products that are "Made in the USA", by over 300 employees, Hornady Manufacturing has become a world leader in bullet, ammunition, reloading tool and accessory design and manufacture.

Re: New Hornady 178 BTHP load

What is the going price on these per box? My have to give them a try. I'm reloading 178 amaxs for my Rem. LTR 20" 1/12 twist barrel.

Ken

That sounds great! How much more expensive will it be though??

1250 yds 8" group = <span style="font-weight: bold">0.64 MOA</span>

Sweet Rob, After talking to about these at TPRC I was wondering how long it would take before they were out. Im going to have to give them a try, My barrel is pretty fast for a 22" im curious to see what I can get out of these.

Knowing Hornady's pricing I wouldn't expect them to be much more expensive than present offerings.

Rem i have a 20" and want to see how they go in that. Thinking about rebarreling my .243 to a switch barrel 24" or 26" .308 just for this load.

Will be good to hear your results George. You know who would be getting the rifle when I rebarrel
wink.gif

I look on Midway and the Superformance 30-06 ammo was 28$ and the match ammo was 32$. So it should be a little cheaper than the match stuff hopefully.

Wherever fine Hornady products are sold.
wink.gif
Keep an eye on the usual ammo sources.

I will be shooting some up this weekend!! I will let you know!!
smile.gif

Anyone know the item code?

I found this:
HOR8077 - HORNADY AMMO 308 WIN 178 GR BTHP MATCH (20)

Edit: Just checked Hornady's site, that looks like the sku, 8077.

Yup that is it.

I know some guys out here that could do some testing in the desert, We would be more then happpy to let the good people at Hornady now how well this new ammo preforms in the rough desert conditions
wink.gif

Hornady's numbers tend to be on the high side. I'd like to see what BC Mr. Litz comes up with.

Actually the 140 AMAX is tested higher on the BC than listed by about .030 point. It's also higher than the 139 Scenar per Mr. Litz.

I have found the other bullets I have used from them to be very close to listed numbers as I have been almost right on to 1000+ when I run them on ballistic software.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will be shooting some up this weekend!! I will let you know!!
smile.gif
</div></div>Please do. I found some in stock - but desire to see what type of grouping you receive, etc.
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't wait to try this stuff out </div></div>

+100

If anyone finds a legitimate source for this I would love to know.

I can definitely see a case in my future if it works well.

Too bad they aren’t selling just the bullet as well. It would be very interesting to see if handloads could provide similar performance or if their powder voodoo is really super special.

Sounds like the powder plays a big part in this rounds accuracy as well... which means reloaders wont be able to duplicate the rounds unless hornady decided to release the same powder used.. fat change of that happening

Powder Valley has some and so does Midsouth.

I bought from Powder Valley.

Ammo not components yet...

The powder is a blended Superformance powder so don't hold your breath on it's release to the public. That said when the bullet is released as a component you can use any of the usual powders like Varget and still work up a load. Just don't expect the Superformance velocity. And no idea when it will be out as a component yet but keep an eye out.

I would like to see what people are actually getting for the velocity of this load from 24" barrels.

It looks like a good load if you don't handload or can't get your VLD's to the lands. Then the value of this offering to you will be determined by the price per box.

I shoot a lot of .308, in matches. I haven't found a reason to switch to 6.5 yet: A 175JLK with 45 Varget in Lapua brass gives me 2735fps. It's a .545BC bullet, so run the numbers on that.

Elevation is not critical for matches. If one load gives me more elevation than another I just dial the extra. Wind bucking is what's improtant. If this new load really does 2820fps, then I would get a .1 Mil wind advantage at 1000 yards. If it does 2775fps from a 24" bbl, then it would give performance equal to my non-blended powder handload.

The advantage would be not having to seat to the lands, and, depending on the price of the ammo, maybe cost.

I wonder, is the 178 BTHP that they are loading a VLD design? Did they get a higher G1 by just redesigning the boattail of the bullet?

I don't think that it's a crucial to have the VLD's into the lands on my rifle as my last outing yielded some great groups with some rounds that were just thrown together for fire forming brass. They were 168Vld's loaded to 2.800, and I still got some groups in the .3's, and .4's. It's apparent now that my past experience, and lack of decent groups from VLD's in the lands was more likely shooter error than load issues.

Branden

Rob, tell them to sprinkle some of this magic powder into the Creedmoor ammo!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder, is the 178 BTHP that they are loading a VLD design?</div></div>

More likely a profile similar to the 208 AMAX.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where is my ammo... just saying -- again. </div></div>

They haven't got you any yet.... don't they know who you are???
laugh.gif

Well, I've got a case to try out here over the weekend, I'll run it through a couple different guns and see what I get for real world numbers. The bullet has a very cone shaped ogive area, I've not pulled one to look at the base yet.

This sounds promising! 168 A-MAX match did OK in my 308, but not steller. Am interested to hear how folks find this stuff.

If your local guys can't find it call 10-8 in NOLA got about 125 boxes in bound 504-731-3108 & they will tell your dealer where they found it.

Be interesting to see the actual projo's themselves, and IF they are more jump 'tolerant'.

Wonder how it will do with 1/12 twist. My AE shoots the 178 amax great. Going to have to try a box. I am getting 2750 with 45 grn of Varget in Hornady brass. I would think it a great setup when they make the bullets available.

I may have missed it - but was a complate range report given someplace for this round ...

Not yet Doc, I'm sure one with come soon. I ordered a few boxes and they should be here this week.

Onemoretime,

Where did you roder the ammo from? I checked Hornady and their own store says they arent taking anymore orders right now since they are back logged on demand.

I would love to order some.

Thanks,
Nate