• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Hornady Precision Measurement Station

Conaso

Private
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2011
Virginia

This looks like it's going to be expensive. But I think they are still missing something, maybe the wheel like 21st Century Concentricity Guage. Also an easier way to check consistency by readily swapping out the cases/cartridges.

Comments?

I can't comment until I have a price to weigh in on my thoughts. So far I can say it would take up less room than all the individual tools I currently have.

Reactions: x_789
@docohm thanks for posting some type of price info. This is an interesting piece of equipment. My first thought was the 21st century gauge. Then I realized it would do a couple other things. I agree it could free up space on the bench which is always valuable. Also no fiddling with calipers using the other Hornday tools it will replace. I am very interested to see some reviews.

Reactions: Cowcatcher
918v - please, could you offer a more quantifying comment, e.g., design, cost, weight, complexity, etc.?

You can do a lot better with a dial caliper, a .40 cal pistol case. and a Sinclair hex tool.

918v - thank you for your input. Your off-the-shelf tools are a cost-saving, practical solution for measuring headspace and CBTO. And how do you determine concentricity?

Reactions: Cowcatcher
I don’t have to. I use a Redding body die, a Lee collet neck die, and a Wilson seater die, all of which produce rounds with less than .002” runout.

How are you measuring your runout?

I think 918v is correct on the HPMC - "meh!"

If you bought the individual Hornady and/or Sinclair tools you'd have the same functionality and save about $50-75. The HPMC is also taking up more tabletop space. If Hornady added the "little wheel" and reduced the MSRP about $50 it may be a consideration for someone who had none of these devices.

I would like to see some opinions & reviews based on hands on experience, which (unless Hornady has sent out some pre-release versions that I have seen no indication of) is going to have to wait a few more days/weeks.

The one useful measurement that I don't see on it is neck thickness. I know Hornady makes an attachment for their concentricity/runout gauge that allows you to measure neck wall thickness so I'm not sure if I'm just overlooking it on this tool or if they had some reason for omitting it.

Hornady loves sellung add-ons. Like stems for every bullet it seems.

@tctex
Could you not just put a rod in the v block, zero the dial indicator and slide your case on the rod ?

Looks like the perfect gift for a noob with a big budget or the man that has everything.

It's a show piece.

Reactions: Milo 2.5
Ogive Check.jpg

I made this little gadget because I got tired of fighting the Hornady clip on the Vernier caliper offset. I made my own Chamber checking tool that snaps into a slot which is covered by the block in place. That height gage was about $40 works great. Last night I ran a bunch of different 223 bullets H,S, N and surprisingly enough Nosler were the most consistent from base to Ogive.

So how did you compensate for breaking the edge for datum diameter?

I saw them in stock online also. Hoping someone will do a review on it soon.

Didn’t realize they were in stock now. Just ordered from brownells. Will be here Tuesday and I’ll give an opinion.

Anyone interested, google for current codes. The $25 off $250 should work.

I’m also not sold on it but FYI mid south has them for $208.00 right now 8lbs seems pretty hefty but I’m a fence sitter on some things Hornady. I have some things and like them but see no need for some of their other products.

Is that like wine tasting?

You know they swish it around, spit it out and tell you it is great. Lol