• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing New hunting rifle finished

darrenk75b

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2007
Chico, Ca
Get all the pieces finally together. Specs are as follows
Stiller Predator SA
McMillan Classic sporter fill
PacNor 1:8 at 23" Lilja #2 contour
Old-style rem trigger
Hooper Ordnance DBM
Leupy 3.5-10

6x47L

DSC_0554.jpg

DSC_0555.jpg

DSC_0556.jpg

Re: New hunting rifle finished

darrenk75b,
Very nice! Talley rings? What does she weigh?

Nice looking rig I hope she treats you right.

That is a very very nice looking gun you have there! Congratulations. Have you gotten to take it out on a hunting trip yet?

Thanks guys. The rings are Warne.

Just got it assemled - no chance to take it hunting yet.

Darren,

Looks great man, have you had the chance to shoot to yet? If not, I need to hit the Oroville range soon and sight-in/try-out a rifle I put together (6.5G) (LOL it's an AR....and it wasnt to long ago when you had to clue me in on the fact that I could own one here in Ca. Hahahahaa! I'ze be a learnin
wink.gif
)

Let me know,

-Pat

Found it!....
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darrenk75b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We in California would like to take a minute to welcome He Shoot Me into the world or CA-friendly ARs. As if precision rifles weren't expensive enough...

By the way, Shooters Paradise in Yubay City is another AR-friendly store </div></div>
-darrenk75b 3/24/09

Thanks guys. Still doing some load workup, but it is showing plenty of promise. So far 39.0gr of H4350 pushing a 105 Berger is holding about 0.6" for 5 shots.

Darren,

Very Beautiful Rifle indeed, Congrats on such a solid work of art. Looks nice and light as well.

I know some dont like the temp sensitivity of the Alliant powders but if you dont mind it, may I suggest you try Reloder 17. It has been very accurate in this caliber with good velocity as well. I also hunt with this caliber although my rifle is a bit heftier
frown.gif

Best of luck with your new rig.

Aloha

I'll roll some R17 soon, but I had a bit of 4350 on hand.

Shot a 0.66" 5 shot group today, with average velocity 2990fps. the first three shots went 0.34". Pretty sure the little barrel was nice and hot for the last two rounds.

JCH, the rifle was actually assembled be a friend.

Looks like a handy rifle that shoot well too. Nice build!

Kudo's on an extremely nice hunting rifle. Ought to be a dream to carry. A very good choice on a hunting rifle scope too I might add. If game jumps up at 100 or 300 yds you ain't got no side focus to fart with! Always glad when someone has the same ideas. Will post pics of my new rifle when Roscoe gets done with it. krw

Thanks again guys. I'm sure the rifle will spend some time in the hills here in Norcal. However, it is going to make its maiden voyage for antelope in Wyoming in a few short weeks.

Great looking rifle in a caliber that's about perfect for pronghorn.

Being a left handed shooter, I'm very envious. I do my pronghorn shooting with a 6.5x284. I really like the caliber, but the 6.4x47L is one I'm luisting after.

I'm off to New Mexico for a pronghorn hunt this weekend. Great way to open the fall hunting seasons.

Good luck.

Thanks again guys.

jackh - that is simply a Leupold VXIII 3.5-10 that I sent back to Leupold to have them install some of their M1 knobs on. I love it for a all-around hunting scope.

T minus 3 days and I hope to have an antelope down with it.

Awesome... just got back from my succesful pronghorn hunt. Have you tried 105 Berger VLD hunting bullets? my .243 loves em with either 43gr RL22 or 41.5 H4350. Shot a goat last year at 475 and this year's at 616.... kills 'em quick!

Just got back from my trip. I used the 105 Berger Hunting VLDs in both this rifle and the 6mmBR I took along. Both rifles took game, and the Bergers were impressive indeed. My 2nd doe was taken at 550 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mark42quin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">very nice... pics? </div></div>

See my other thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darrenk75b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get all the pieces finally together. Specs are as follows
Stiller Predator SA
McMillan Classic sporter fill
PacNor 1:8 at 23" Lilja #2 contour
Old-style rem trigger
Hooper Ordnance DBM
Leupy 3.5-10

6x47L

DSC_0554.jpg

DSC_0555.jpg

DSC_0556.jpg
</div></div> Awesome rifle.