• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Hunting Rifle from UGSW

BlackOps Tech

Still The Head Skunk
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
This is the new SHIKARI (Native American word for HUNTER) from Underground Skunkworks. It's (currently) built on the FN/Winchester Classic Action and chambered in .300 RCM.

v6kwb9.jpg

xc7xxu.jpg

24e5ri1.jpg

73j6kl.jpg

The SHIKARI is part of our new line of hunting rigs and the specs are:

UGSW Trued Winchester Classic Action (Face, Threads, Abutments, Re-Cut Ejection Port and Bedding Surfaces)
UGSW Trued Bolt (Re-Cut Lugs, Replace Bolt Face, Modify Firing Pin to be "Guided," Re-Cut Cone Angle, Spot Tig)
Williams Floorplate
Handmade Follower for .300RCM
WSM Mag Box
Timney/UGSW Trigger
20" Bartlein Barrel
Hand Finished Manners MCS-T Stock
UGSW Bolt Knob
UGSW Pillars
Graphite Black Cerakote (Flattened)
UGSW Snow Camo Epoxy Stock Finish (other splatter finishes available)
UGSW Cheek Pad
UGSW Fit and Finish

This rifle is in the Manners MCS-T (because I'll be packing it around this year), but the SHIKARI comes standard with a High Tech Specialties stock. When using the High Tech Specialties stock, the rifle weight, without scope is just under seven pounds. With the MCS-T, it's exactly eight pounds.

I'll do the SHIKARI in the WSM chambers, but the beauty of the .300RCM is that it is designed for a 20" barrel. Magnum ballistics from a shorter barrel is ideal.

We're also doing a Stalking Predator/Varmint Rifle (in the common Varmint calibers) called the CANDIRU. Our Mountain Rifle is called the WAPITI (Native American word for ELK). Both are light and easy to pack and I'll post pics here soon.

Re: New Hunting Rifle from UGSW

Your rifles look great as always. If you want to send any of those new rifles my way for the summer i will give them a good work out and let you know how they do.

Mike

Please come up with another name for the "Candiru".

In case folks don't know, a candiru is the name of a parasitic small fish (aka needle fish)that lives in South American rivers. It has a nasty habit of swimming up your urethra and erecting retrose spines to prevent removal. Impossible to dislodge without surgery, it causes immense pain and a potential burst bladder...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oregonmuley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks great, really like that stock color!! </div></div>

Thanks Muley, Much appreciated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EdMP3006</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike, that is an awesome looking hunting rifle! </div></div>

Thanks Ed....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan Tucker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your rifles look great as always. If you want to send any of those new rifles my way for the summer i will give them a good work out and let you know how they do. </div></div>

Thanks Dan. Maybe you can pack this one around a little when you head this way.

Never seen a stock quite like that, very unique. Reminds me of my Granite Counter top
smile.gif
Looks great

Looking at the way you painted the stock and i really like that. When it comes time to paint the stock on the varmint build we will have to talk and see if we can come up with something to blend in with the areas i hunt here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan Tucker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking at the way you painted the stock and i really like that. When it comes time to paint the stock on the varmint build we will have to talk and see if we can come up with something to blend in with the areas i hunt here. </div></div>

Shouldn't be a problem Dan. I can do the same finish in Woodland and Desert Splatter and can probably custom mix something if I need to.

Mike,

Check your webpage. I just went to find out more information on these rifles and got bounced to go daddy. This is really close to what I'm looking for in a new build. Nice work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShootingStar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike,

Check your webpage. I just went to find out more information on these rifles and got bounced to go daddy. This is really close to what I'm looking for in a new build. Nice work. </div></div>

Yep, it's down. My hosting company went out of business and the site is in the process of being re-directed. Not sure why, but this has affected my e-mail as well.

Give me a call on Monday (406-892-1850) and I can answer questions if you have any. Thanks....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ut755ln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome looking stick, interesting caliber. </div></div>

Thanks. When I originally started putting this package together, it was a .300WSM. I didn't like the barrel length or the way the WSM feeds, even in a CRF action. The action I used started life as a .308 BF.

After playing with the RCM, it was a no brainer. Although we have to hand make each RCM follower, the RCM was a better fit for the application of having a lighter, shorter hunting rig with better ballistics.

I hope to free up enough time before the 31st to chase a few black bears with it and then I'll be rather anxious to get after some Muleys later in the year. We hunt at high altitudes in thick cover.

Very nice hunting rifle.. That rifle has me drooling.. I thought it was great to see your doing it in the .300RCM, I kinda forgot about those RCM's. They fit the bill in the right rifle, and you proved it. Ruger gets some things right,, sometimes..

The link to your website is taking me to a go-daddy site though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dirknar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice hunting rifle.. That rifle has me drooling.. I thought it was great to see your doing it in the .300RCM, I kinda forgot about those RCM's. They fit the bill in the right rifle, and you proved it. Ruger gets some things right,, sometimes..

The link to your website is taking me to a go-daddy site though. </div></div>

Thanks. I'm highly pleased with how it turned out. I was hoping the WSM would do what I wanted, but it needed more barrel than I was willing to use. I give a lot of credit to Hornady for the RCM working out so well.

I'm rather frustrated about my website situation. I was given very little notice that the hosting company would be going out of business. I just got off the phone with GoDaddy and the supposed transfer that was going to take place never did. This was supposed to be an easy transition, but has been proven to be the pain that I thought it would be....

Mike, as usual your attention to detail is amazing. When I saw the thread title I thought for sure it was going to be a really sweet 25-06...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GasLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You just keep hitting them out of the ballpark! This is sexy, not that I expect anything else when opening one of your new build posts... AWESOME </div></div>

Thanks Dave. If you're ever in the neighborhood, stop by and squeeze a few downrange....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike, as usual your attention to detail is amazing. When I saw the thread title I thought for sure it was going to be a really sweet 25-06... </div></div>

Thanks Chris and that one's coming. I'm doing a plains rifle in 25-06 and the Pronhorns don't have a chance....

CAn you get the Winny actions without buying a complete rifle or are you stuck trying to pick up all the SPR actions floating around?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CAn you get the Winny actions without buying a complete rifle or are you stuck trying to pick up all the SPR actions floating around? </div></div>

At one time, I was getting Winny's without a barrel, but I think those days are over. The best route right now is a donor gun or a new Winny. I should have a better solution pretty soon though....
wink.gif

Is your solution gonna come in both short and long action?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is your solution gonna come in both short and long action? </div></div>

I'm pretty sure it will....

That is a beautiful rifle Mike. Can't waite to see the Stalking Predator/and the Varmint Rifle pics.

Mike,

WHen I click on the link in your posts, it takes me to a godaddy website. If you want to sell more guns, you should probably get this fixed!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedRyder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike,

WHen I click on the link in your posts, it takes me to a godaddy website. If you want to sell more guns, you should probably get this fixed! </div></div>

You might want to read some his posts above he explains what's wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shadysmitty68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a beautiful rifle Mike. Can't waite to see the Stalking Predator/and the Varmint Rifle pics. </div></div>

Thanks Smitty. I'll post pics of the CANDIRU later this week.

Native American word? that is a pretty vast category to describe a language. It would be like trying to describe a word and saying it's Asian. I am pretty sure Shikari isn't Lakota, what language did that come from?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinarms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Native American word? that is a pretty vast category to describe a language. It would be like trying to describe a word and saying it's Asian. I am pretty sure Shikari isn't Lakota, what language did that come from? </div></div>

I'm actually describing a rifle, not a language. SHIKARI has been interpreted differently across many tribal languages. It has meanings that include Hunter and Predator. That was good enough for me to use it as a rifle name.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinarms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Native American word? that is a pretty vast category to describe a language. It would be like trying to describe a word and saying it's Asian. I am pretty sure Shikari isn't Lakota, what language did that come from? </div></div>

I'm actually describing a rifle, not a language. SHIKARI has been interpreted differently across many tribal languages. It has meanings that include Hunter and Predator. That was good enough for me to use it as a rifle name.</div></div>

Well that's not good enough!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SavageStag</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinarms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Native American word? that is a pretty vast category to describe a language. It would be like trying to describe a word and saying it's Asian. I am pretty sure Shikari isn't Lakota, what language did that come from? </div></div>

I'm actually describing a rifle, not a language. SHIKARI has been interpreted differently across many tribal languages. It has meanings that include Hunter and Predator. That was good enough for me to use it as a rifle name.</div></div>

grin.gif
</div></div>

Hey Casey. When are you headed home? We gonna see that part from you this week?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shadysmitty68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a beautiful rifle Mike. Can't waite to see the Stalking Predator/and the Varmint Rifle pics. </div></div>

Thanks Smitty. I'll post pics of the CANDIRU later this week. </div></div>

+++ on the CANDIRU when more info and pics become available.

Looking good Mike, keep up the great work!

Todd

Mike,

After seeing the finish on this rifle, we might need to talk before you do the finish on the 7-08.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is your solution gonna come in both short and long action? </div></div>

I'm pretty sure it will.... </div></div>

If this is to imply you are going to produce a custom win CRF LA. . .you have instantaniously become the builder of my next rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PaulStafford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike

In case folks don't know, a candiru is the name of a parasitic small fish (aka needle fish)that lives in South American rivers. It has a nasty habit of swimming up your urethra and erecting retrose spines to prevent removal. Impossible to dislodge without surgery, it causes immense pain and a potential burst bladder... </div></div>

does kinda make ya quiver.....

I have been wanting to do a build on a Winchester action for some time since i never have and if something like that is in the works that will be the shit. I am waiting to see what Santa Mike has up his sleeve. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nly205</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is your solution gonna come in both short and long action? </div></div>

I'm pretty sure it will.... </div></div>

If this is to imply you are going to produce a custom win CRF LA. . .you have instantaniously become the builder of my next rifle. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PaulStafford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike

In case folks don't know, a candiru is the name of a parasitic small fish (aka needle fish)that lives in South American rivers. It has a nasty habit of swimming up your urethra and erecting retrose spines to prevent removal. Impossible to dislodge without surgery, it causes immense pain and a potential burst bladder... </div></div>

does kinda make ya quiver..... </div></div>

Too funny
grin.gif
. There's only been one recorded instance of a CANDIRU finding its way up a Dudes urethra and that was about 10 years ago.

Much like what most of you are probably feeling right now, the idea behind the rifle (CANDIRU) is that it strikes fear in the heart and souls of the furry vermin it was intended to target....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SavageStag</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinarms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Native American word? that is a pretty vast category to describe a language. It would be like trying to describe a word and saying it's Asian. I am pretty sure Shikari isn't Lakota, what language did that come from? </div></div>

grin.gif
</div></div>

Hey Casey. When are you headed home? We gonna see that part from you this week? </div></div>

Hey Mike, I'm headed home next week. According to UPS my bolt is in Louisville so you should see it today or tomorrow

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SavageStag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Mike, I'm headed home next week. According to UPS my bolt is in Louisville so you should see it today or tomorrow </div></div>

Sounds good. We're set to get it turned around for you....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">like i said, flawless as usual. nice rifle guys </div></div>

Thanks again Axe....