• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NEW IOR Pitbull?

jafount

Private
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2009
Northern California
Has anyone seen anything on this scope? Seems to be just what I am looking for. It's selectable either a No Mag scope or a 1/4 turn of a ring and it's a 4x scope. All with an illuminated BDC horseshoe reticle.

IOR Pitbull

Can anyone point me to some reviews? Supposed to be available at the end of this month.

Re: NEW IOR Pitbull?

How the hell are you supposed to mount this thing? The band at the rear doesn't look like it has enough space for a ring and I don't know of any Aimpoint-style single ring mounts that are 35mm.

Supposedly it comes with rings in your choice of low, medium, and high and with it being so short, should mount on the flat-top rail of an AR without overhang. Also heard rumor of a European style QD mount.

I'm hoping to see some good reviews on this. Anybody know what the reticle looks like?

Frankly the only changes I'd like to see is a FFP reticle and the lit reticle knob on the mid section and a larger knob switch for quick transitions. I use a Meopta K-dot now which is nice but the reticle needs some tweaking. Mil knobs and a FFP are needed on the K-dot too.

I'm hoping to see some good reviews on this. Anybody know what the reticle looks like?

It's their CQB retical.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hazardus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Frankly the only changes I'd like to see is a FFP reticle and the lit reticle knob on the mid section and a larger knob switch for quick transitions. I use a Meopta K-dot now which is nice but the reticle needs some tweaking. Mil knobs and a FFP are needed on the K-dot too.</div></div>

I agree on the location of the illum knob, but what's the point of an FFP reticle on something less than 10x?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I agree on the location of the illum knob, but what's the point of an FFP reticle on something less than 10x? </div></div>

Same reason that you would want it for 10x, elevation and windage holds. While I agree that you most likely would be operating at 4x for your longer distance shots and if properly calibrated at 4x, you're good to go. But it is a "nice to have" for holdovers at 2x, 3x, etc.

While not necessarily an FFP item, I've also found that I like having tick marks as well on shorter distance shots (e.g. <100yds). With the scope to bore offset of 1.5", it allows a more accurate short distance shot when you know where the bullet will land given a target at less than your zero. FFP keeps it consistent otherwise you're learning two holdover scenarios depending upon power.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hazardus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I agree on the location of the illum knob, but what's the point of an FFP reticle on something less than 10x? </div></div>

Same reason that you would want it for 10x, elevation and windage holds. While I agree that you most likely would be operating at 4x for your longer distance shots and if properly calibrated at 4x, you're good to go. But it is a "nice to have" for holdovers at 2x, 3x, etc.

While not necessarily an FFP item, I've also found that I like having tick marks as well on shorter distance shots (e.g. <100yds). With the scope to bore offset of 1.5", it allows a more accurate short distance shot when you know where the bullet will land given a target at less than your zero. FFP keeps it consistent otherwise you're learning two holdover scenarios depending upon power. </div></div>

Its 1X or 4x, there is no 2x and 3x in the power range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its 1X or 4x, there is no 2x and 3x in the power range. </div></div>

Ah, you are correct. Missed that detail.

In your opinion are the IOR scopes worth what they ask for them??

These are Romanian made not Swiss made.

Hate to necro a thread, but Im stuck between this scope, a SN-4, and Nightforce 1-4 NXS for my SR-15E3. Ive read about the pitbull breaking while a guy torqued the ring caps to it (straight from the box) and had to fight IOR for warranty replacement, and Ive read about SN-4's breaking in the field. My main thing that I want is a ranging reticle, not just a circle and dot like a short dot or the nightforce have, but the nightforce is comparably priced to the other two choices and has a better reputation behind it. Is the IOR "Pitbull" worth the money or should I look elsewhere?

I would go with the USO over the IOR, but I do not have any firsthand experience with the IOR.

My choice would be based on the durability, CS and reputation of USO.

Also remember that a BDC reticle may or may not match up with your round, or by "ranging reticle" do you mean one that you can range estimate with?

There is a review of this scope in the new shotgun news with the sonju ar15 on the cover. The other ior reviwed seems better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go with the USO over the IOR, but I do not have any firsthand experience with the IOR.

My choice would be based on the durability, CS and reputation of USO.

Also remember that a BDC reticle may or may not match up with your round, or by "ranging reticle" do you mean one that you can range estimate with? </div></div>Sorry, I was referring to the BDC like found on the Specter DR or an ACOG. Ive never had one work as advertised out to 600m, even on an issue M4 with 855, but I like having the reference marks for holdover past 300m. Found a good deal on a SN-4 that I might jump on, thanks!