• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Kit for $3500 for a new to LRS

Hackb431

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Hey all,

Sitting in the final days of Iraq and putting together my wish list when I come home. This will be my first time doing any LRS but here is what I came up with. Please feel free to add your thoughts. My budget is $3,500 to get started to include rifle, glass, bipod, and accessories. Based on trolling these forums and talking to friends this is what I came up with. I do not hunt, this is all just for fun, target/range time usage.

Rifle - Remington 5r 20in threaded barrel .308 ($1,000)
Scope - Leupold Mark 4, 3.5-10x40mm ($1,000)
Bipod - Harris HBRS 6"-9" ($125)
Suppressor - TBAC 30P-1 $1,095 +$200 Tax Stamp ($1,300)

Ok start the discussion on alternatives or better yet validate my thoughts. Of course all this goes out the window if I see something come up in the for sale section. Perhaps there is someone out there who got in entry level and is now moving up to the higher end. I will be back stateside in January looking for that deal but if not, retail I go.

Also, I am moving to the Jacksonville, FL so if any one is around there or knows of any ranges that get out to distance please let me know.

Thanks,
Ben

Re: New Kit for $3500 for a new to LRS

I'd highly recommend a USO or NF over a leupold but it's all personal preference. Other than that that's a pretty good start.

Good Luck,
Merritt

I looked at those. I think the cost factor is what is holding me back on the USO or NF. Hopefully I can just keep an eye in the classified section here and pick some good used pieces up.

You can find better ways to spend $1k on a scope.

SWFA SS 5-20x50 or even the Vortex PST line, both are equal or better than the Mark 4 and you'll be able to more magnification which you'll really like.

Thanks for the service!!

That looks like a nice project. I'd pick up a KMW podloc for that Harris.

I'd recommend buying better glass out of the gate and save for the suppressor.

ETA

I believe if I had approximately $3500 to spend on a kit, I'd go this route:

SPS Varmint - $500-550 (get a smith to cut/crown/thread it, local guy will do that for about $75, others charge about $150)

Stock of my choice from Tom Manners - $500-600

Timney - trigger $120

NF base - $110

F1 (comes with rings) - $2200ish.

Harris BR-S 6-9" with pod-lock - $120

I'd continue to save and have a smith bed the rifle for me ($250) and buy the can later.

I think that I would skip the supressor for now and buy some really good glass. If you want to keep optics under $1500, look at the Vortex viper PST (FFP model) or the SWFA 5-20 (only available in FFP). Might even look at the for sale section here. Maybe the IOR Valdada with the Snipershide reticle. (Don't know much about that one, but around $1500 if I remember. Talk to Scott at Liberty Optics.)

Better glass: US Optics, Schmidt and Bender, Nightforce. (OK, Nightforce may "not" be better than the SWFA or IOR, but it is around $1800-$2000 unless you go Nightforce F-1, which is even more yet.)

Sounds like a great setup though. Solid product to begin with.

You going to handload or buy factory match?

Thanks for all the input. I am not limited to $3500, Pilot pay in the army is beating my old SGT pay check as a grunt for sure, but it is a goal to shoot for as I am saving some coin to go some training courses. I will look into the recommended scopes for sure. @Ogre, I will just be buying factory match ammo. I will be sure to save my brass in case I meet some new shooting buddies when I move to Jacksonville, FL.

Savage target action $550
Shilen select match pre fit $450
XLR chassis $900
Sightron SIII 8-32x56, I'd go moa/moa now $850
$2750 so you've got some coin for bases and rings, or an NXS should that be more your style.

This is what I would do, though Krieger, brux ... may nudge the shilen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd recommend buying better glass out of the gate and save for the suppressor. </div></div>

Exactly what I was thinking!

stevens 200: ~350
sell off stock barrel and stock: ~100
pre-fit cbi barrel: 26" varmint contour 1:10 $280
tools for barrel swap: ~$100 (go/no go, barrel wrench)(nss $25, barrel block(nss flat surface $40))
nss recoil lug: $27
SSS competition trigger: $91
seekins 20moa rail: $100
seekins rings: ~$150
Viper PST 6-24x50: ~$900
CDI bottom metal: ~$300(?)
harris bipod w/pod lock: ~$100
manners stock w/bedding: ~$800

that's like $3100....and pretty much a BADASS gun...that'll easily out shot that 5r, by a large margin.

That'll also leave you $400 for training/ammo

First off, nothing wrong with a Leupold scope, the new ones are out standing.

Second, get an account on Promotive.com as military. We get great discounts on Leupold products(among other companies) and the scope you are looking at will be around $900 on there.

I'd also not worry about a suppressor and put that money towards the glass or the rifle. If you watch the classifieds here you could put together a nice custom and a Nightforce.

I would honestly just get something out of the for sale section. There are so many great rifles that come up for sale from amazing builders for really good prices with no wait time. Because after you hang out on this site for a while you're gonna want a rifle that has the action trued and bedded, an aftermarket barrel, a different stock, and all sorts of other little things that you are going to end up paying for if you get that stock 5R. Why not just get it all now from a rifle that has a few hundred rounds thru it that you like and is still going to shoot better than most people's skill level. Just my opinion.