• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New KTM help please.

As mentioned the dealer has to unlock the ecu. Sounds like they may have missed that. It’s an awesome bike, don’t be discouraged. I’m sure whatever it is they’ll sort it out. Of the dozen or so guys I ride with all are on 350s or 300s, and all have proven quite reliable.

Reactions: Cowboy83
Had a similar issue with a different (4 stroke, injected) bike. Idled OK, would not pull or rev once in gear. It was not getting enough fuel because the pump was fooked. +1 on fuel pump, fuel filter or injector.

If you want to test the filter you can remove it from the fuel line and see if it fixes anything, but if it's clogged from crap in the fuel tank you're running the risk of a clogged injector.

Edit to add - not a ktm specific problem. This could happen with any bike. The 350 is a great machine, you're gonna have a lot of fun once this is fixed.

me-or-ktm-wont-start.jpg

I just got a new KTM exc 350. I got home and the dealer is closed now.

So my problem is this thing start just fine, responds to the throttle while I'm in neutral. However as soon as I try to go it sputters and wants to die. In first gear I can get upto about 9 or 10mph where it dies. It starts right back up, but it will not accelerate at all.

View attachment 7596390

On a side note, how do you like those tires on your truck? I bought a set of those yesterday for my 2016 Tundra.

Not to hijack your thread but looking for tires for my daily Ranger. What are those?

I hate them. They are loud, and showing significant wear at 20k miles

Damn, I hate to hear that. I hope mine perform well. The bastards weren’t cheap.

Hope the bike is a simple fix. Sounds like it’s starving for fuel to me. I’m going with the fuel filter. Maybe the tank didn’t get cleaned out well at the factory.

Not familiar with fuel injected bikes but did work on auto stuff for years. Sound like a fuel delivery problem, either volume or pressure.
Could be a line fom the petcock be crimped either from mis routing or stuck betwene someyhing. Could be a restricted fuel filter. Could be a pump with insuicient flow. Could be wiring issue to the pump I.E. bad connection to the pump. I would think any pump issue would throw a code.
Check the basics and work to the complex.

Reactions: Doing my part
Not to hijack your thread but looking for tires for my daily Ranger. What are those?

The tundra has bfg AT 2 or 3. I don't remember.

I have Goodyear wrangler duratrac on my tacoma. They are hands down better. They are quite and good traction. My first set lasted over 60k miles. I replaced them with the same. I regret not putting the same tire on the tundra, but I was looking for something that wouldn't throw rocks while towing the boat.

I did not notice those in the bags. I just looked and there are 3 spares. I'm almost at the dealer now so I'm going to let them deal with it.

Reactions: Slash0311
I'm curious to see/hear the outcome on this. I had a friend with a vehicle that was doing about the same thing, symptomatically.

It wasn't until he pulled his fuel-tank, then found plastic-wrap surrounding his fuel strainer below the in-tank pump. Seems somebody decided it was a good trick to put some plastic-wrap inside the nozzle at the gas pump.

It was a small town where this happened, and due to the fact that the same issue was had by a number of different people, the ONLY coinciding factor was they all bought their fuel at the same gas station.

Point being, it was a bastard trying to figure out the problem, until the tank was dropped. I'm SURE that your issue is no-where near as contentious.

Reactions: Maxwell
Well. It ended up being lots of shit left in the tank from manufacturing. Clogged the small inline filter inside of the quick connect. The dealer drained the fuel into a jar and it was immediately evident. Went thru 3 or 4 filters at the dealer, but seems to be ok now. Just did a quick 10mile loop and it runs fine now.

As a rule of thumb, I change those in line filters every 3 or 4 oil changes and keep a couple in my pack when I ride, to avoid this. I’ve still had to change one on the trail before.
Seems dumb but it’s way better than clogging the injector. Glad your bike is good to go.

Reactions: STUKA
Thanks for the help for everyone that has suggestions.

Now the next question, who has a recommendation for skid plates? Case chain guard?

AXP, TMDesignworks, Acerbis. Depends on if you want a linkage guard or not. Can’t go wrong with any of them for skid plates. I don’t recommend aluminum ones.

Enduro engineering makes a good case chain guard that is reasonably priced and protects the clutch slave cylinder.

Reactions: STUKA
I think you picked right. Sucks you had an issue right out of the gate. But now you know about the filter.

As for tires on trucks. I REALLY like my new Pirelli Scorpion ATs. I've run many tires and these hit my sweet spot. I've run Duratracs, C and Es, great tires but a bit noisy and I had issues keeping them balanced and I really start to dislike them once they get more than 5,000 miles. Cooper AT3s are decent. Quieter and easier to keep balanced than the Duratracs. I've tried some used BFGs and Wrangler Kevlars. Those Kevlars are noisy. BFGs felt the same as having mud build up on your boots and get heavy and less responsive.

TL/DR: Try the new Pirelli Scorpion ATs. Price is very competitive and unless you NEED E rated sidewalls, will probably work great.

I think you picked right. Sucks you had an issue right out of the gate. But now you know about the filter.

As for tires on trucks. I REALLY like my new Pirelli Scorpion ATs. I've run many tires and these hit my sweet spot. I've run Duratracs, C and Es, great tires but a bit noisy and I had issues keeping them balanced and I really start to dislike them once they get more than 5,000 miles. Cooper AT3s are decent. Quieter and easier to keep balanced than the Duratracs. I've tried some used BFGs and Wrangler Kevlars. Those Kevlars are noisy. BFGs felt the same as having mud build up on your boots and get heavy and less responsive.

TL/DR: Try the new Pirelli Scorpion ATs. Price is very competitive and unless you NEED E rated sidewalls, will probably work great.
Been running BF Good KO2’s on my F350. Been really happy with them. On my 3rd set.

Reactions: Texasflyer
If they tell you that’s probably not it, get some anyway. My FX450 did the same thing and needed a new one before I had even put 0.3hrs on the motor. Probably some particulate left over from manufacturing the tank, or just shit gas. It’s a good idea to get a fuel sock to help keep all the junk out of your tank when fueling up too, but not a big deal if you don’t.
Don’t get discouraged, it’ll get worked out. These new KTM/Husky/Gas Gas bikes are outstanding.
Bummer that your brand new bike has an issue. I agree that this mico screen filter might be clogged from something foreign that was in the tank.
Pull the quick disconnect apart on the rubber fuel line leading from the bottom of the tank (left side) and carefully pull out that little inline screen and inspect it then blow it out with carb cleaner then reassemble. If this is not the solution I'd let the dealer sort it out. Hang in there, they will get it fixed up then you'll love the bike!!!
I've got a 2016 350 XCF-W and it has been absolutely awesome....except for the crappy WP 4CS forks they were using back then.

See if Pingel makes a filter for your bike

I put one of these on an old bike and it was worth the money, you can back flush it with spray brake cleaner

You are going to be stoked with your bike! I have ridden with a couple of guys who own them and they were super stoked on them calling them their "Swiss army knife" bike-they kind of do everything well, and having that plate can also be huge depending on where you live.

Good advice given above about the fuel screens and keeping after them, as well as using a plastic skid plate vs metal. I am a fan of the TM Designworks stuff personally but all of the ones recommended by desert racer, (I tried to quote him but am apparently tech challenged and couldn't), are excellent-the plastic ones seem to slide over stuff better than the metal plus they don't make the "what the hell is that sound?" noises that the metal ones do.

Oh yeah, since your already looking at aftermarket stuff, (and beware because the aftermarket rabbit hole is deep and wide...)-get a Seat Concepts seat. Your ass will thank you.

And OP FWIW KTms are awesome. I miss my 650 enduro R. Had to let it go because it just wasn’t getting used enough.

Make sure they didn't leave a shop rag in the air box!:ROFLMAO:
Fuel valve/petcock is on?
Fuel in the tank?
Battery fully charged (Elec. fuel Injection)?
Emer. ejection switch is fully seated (plunger is/should be depressed under the seat)?
Good Luck! Mac
eta: Always wanted a KTM, you lucky..........

glad you got 'er fixed! brrrrrrraaaaaaapppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp!

maybe i'll take my ds out for a ride tomorrow, just a plain jane drz400s. 80 mile loop out of my garage, about 80% dirt roads.

Thanks for the help for everyone that has suggestions.

Now the next question, who has a recommendation for skid plates? Case chain guard?
Skid plates and chain sliders i use T.M. design works. Best you can buy and they come in KTM orange

i have cycra handguards with triple clamp mounts on my dirt and dual sport bikes, highly recommended.

Well after a few weeks on her. She rips now. Ordered the athena GET to get rid of the
dead spot, and took the baffle out of the exhaust and reeds out of the airbox.
Get a hold of Jamie at Twisted Development and see if he can put his mapping on your ECU. He primarily works with Vortex so he may not tune the GET, but his stuff is the best.

For the skid plate I’m very happy with AXP on my 300. I also have the enduro engineering case chain guard. It’s quite nice but when I put it on I realized the 300 had a pretty good one stock, so not really needed. I bent the oem chain guide on my first ride and replaced with a TM and it’s held up well.

Reactions: demolitionman
For the skid plate I’m very happy with AXP on my 300. I also have the enduro engineering case chain guard. It’s quite nice but when I put it on I realized the 300 had a pretty good one stock, so not really needed. I bent the oem chain guide on my first ride and replaced with a TM and it’s held up well.
I agree. I run AXP skid plates and after going to poly style skids I will never go back to aluminum. Poly is better in every single way. Quieter, slids over everything better, and doesn’t rattle and clank when rocks and pebbles get in between it and the engine/frame.

Reactions: BikePilot
Get a hold of Jamie at Twisted Development and see if he can put his mapping on your ECU. He primarily works with Vortex so he may not tune the GET, but his stuff is the best.

I'll play around a little more. I got it from Slavens so I have a dozen or so of his tunes to play with. Nobody had a Vortex in stock and nobody I called had a firm ETA.