• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Leupold 3-9x40 VX-R Patrol

Re: New Leupold 3-9x40 VX-R Patrol

I talked a buddy into picking one of these up. Love this scope. Good glass, low profile turrets with positive, audible clicks, good reticle and love the illumination system. Only complaint I would have is that when you turn the illumination off, the brightness of the fire dot goes up one each time.
This little scope would make an ultimate hunting optic and is priced right. I'll have one when I free up some funds.

Dear Leupold: 1.5-5x24 version please. I'll buy 3.

I would love to see this in a 4-12 or 4-14 version. I would even take 5-15 so they could stay with the same magnification ratio. Love the lightweight of it.

yeah I want more top end than the 1-4x

I'm a fussy bitch etc

I'm excited about the low-pro .1mil knobs though, they look like the shit, wonder if the custom shop will have them as an option

I've spent some time with both of the VX-R Patrol scopes and I am very impressed with both of them, Great optics for the price. Finally I think Leupold is starting to listen to the retail/civilian shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are great little scopes. I need to find a rifle to put one on.

6144796809_8a3ab1a06d_z.jpg

Mike @ CST </div></div>

Ive got a Sako that would gladly have that sitting on top if it needs a home Mike
wink.gif

Tag for some more feedback. So far looks like a very good little scope.

JJ

I don't know why they don't offer the Patrol version of this scope in the 4-12x40. I ended up ordering the 4-12x40 version with MOA/CDS dials and duplex firedot. Sure wish they would offer the TMR and .1 mil adjustments in the 4-12x40 for the magnification whores such as myself. My email request to Leupold went unanswered.

Now a 4-12x40 patrol would be gold, a bit more of an edge on the mag range without the excessive size.

Surely it couldnt be that hard to switch out the internals on the 4-12x40 VX-R's to Mil and TMR.....

Hello Leupold???Anyone Listening???

Edit: Just used the leupold websites suggestion box, lets see if they listen.

JJ

Got a reply from leupold this morning, and my suggestion re the 4-12x40 has been forward to the product development team.

Now to wait and see if anything will come of it.

JJ

I got my 4-12x40 VX-R in today. Some comments below:

1)Windage adjustments are capped, not external like the Patrol, which is a bit of a bummer. Elevation turret was a little mushy at first but seemed to get better after I gave it 2 or 3 rotations. Turret feel initially reminded me of an older Nikon Tactical I used to have but became more crisp with some use.

2)There is no way to keep track of turns due to the fact that the turrets don't raise or lower when adjustments are made therefore no "lines" to reveal.

3) This version has 12 MOA per turn and knob can be swapped out for a BDC version.

4)Specs for this 4-12 are listed as 75 MOA elevation adjustment vs the Patrol at 60 MOA

5)Massive eye relief change for a scope with only a 3x multiplier. 1.3 inches is a bit much.

6)Good size and weight for hunting but I personally would want some more magnification if possible. Maybe a 3-15 or 4-16 version of the Patrol.

7) Glass was very very nice I thought, especially for the money. Compared to my IOR 3-18x42 FFP this Leupold scope seemed to be better at low light this evening with both set at 12X.

Overall this seems to be a great little package.

Be neat if it was FFP actually. Reticle disappears at lower power leaving just the dot. 1-6x.

come onnnnn leupold. I'll give you money for this. LOTS OF MONEY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are great little scopes. I need to find a rifle to put one on.

Mike @ CST </div></div>

I've got a rifle at my house. Send it to me and I'll post pics of your scope on my rifle.

Anyone have one yet? I am curious <span style="text-decoration: line-through">if it is 5 mils per turn </span>(I see now its 6 mils per turn) if the turret housing is marked so you know what rotation you are on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have one yet? I am curious <span style="text-decoration: line-through">if it is 5 mils per turn </span>(I see now its 6 mils per turn) if the turret housing is marked so you know what rotation you are on. </div></div>

I will know more by this weekend. I recieved mine today from Liberty Optics and only got to play with it for about 15 minutes.

IMG_3959.jpg

*Cell phone pic. Notice my sons finger, lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ccoker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just checked mine..

6mils per rev
3 revs total
18 mils

no markings for which rev you are on </div></div>

Thanks ccoker!

Dang, I thought I had decided on a SS 3-9 but this looks impressive as heck too. Trying to be realistic, 9x is probably as much magnification as I need (provided the adjustments are accurate/repeatable) for as far as I'd have any business shooting at a living critter (4 legs). More would be nice, but I couldn't ethically justify attempting to shoot a deer/antelope/etc. beyond 250 meters or so with a smallbore...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jester308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got a reply from leupold this morning, and my suggestion re the 4-12x40 has been forward to the product development team.

Now to wait and see if anything will come of it.

JJ </div></div>

Post a link to this and I'll submit too.

We should organize something for Hide members to submit. The squeakiest wheel always gets oiled first!

I'm dumb. Found it!
<a href="http://leupold.com/corporate/contact-us/product-suggestions/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">
http://leupold.com/corporate/contact-us/product-suggestions/</a>

Submitted for 3.5-10 or 4-16.

12-15x is the high end of where I'd want my scope to be. Currently looking at NF 3.5-15, if Loopy can do that with a VX-R I'll pick one up for sure.

I bought one of these scopes based significantly off of the recommendations here and at least at first, I was impressed--it's just the right size/weight/magnification range to go well on my SPR, the glass was very clear even at dusk/low light, and the reticle subtension was spot-on--the thin section of the reticle subtended exactly 36" at 100 yards. But, the illumination was spotty--sometimes it would turn on, sometimes not even with a brand new Energizer 2032 cell. I checked the battery compartment to see if there was any debris preventing the battery from making contact and there was none, nor were any of the spring tabs centering the battery/making electrical contact damaged. Scott @ Liberty Optics, the vendor from whom I bought the scope, said I should call Leupold and I did that yesterday afternoon. The guy I spoke with there said that since this is a relatively new product for Leupold they really want to get back any that aren't completely right to figure out what went wrong with them. Barely 2 minutes after him picking up the phone I had the UPS label in my email inbox so I stuck it on the box (the scope was already packaged), drove down to the UPS store, and had it shipped out within a half-hour. While it would have been nice to get a scope that was flawless, like the fellow from Leupold said, this is a new product so there are bound to be a couple flaws that might not show up until the scope is in the customer's hand. He said that I should either get a new scope or my current one repaired and shipped back before Christmas so that's cool--I'm just a low speed/high drag civilian so I can afford to wait if there's a LEO/.mil guy needing their stuff fixed sooner.

I would think a 40mm Butler creek set?

Just having found out about this optic i'm really liking it also. Looking at putting it on a .243 of mine. Does this scope have zero stop? I know it's not mentioned by leupold or anything but neither is the zero stop on the M2 knobs which it most definitely has.

One thing to add that I found effected me. I am farsighted and need reading glasses. I like to shoot without prescription glasses. I could easily focus the eye-piece to get a well focused reticle however this also effected the focus on the target. There is no separate side focus nor objective adjustment so I could never get both reticle and target sharply focused.

Now I could get this done using my prescription glasses but this just did not fit my needs...otherwise the scope was really nice and I really liked the reticle/illumination combo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Does this scope have zero stop? </div></div>

Nope - no zero stop on this. Also, since it doesn't have a turret that has marks telling you what turn you're on, a zero stop would be welcome on this scope. This scope - in my pea little brain - isn't a full-up precision rifle scope at all, but for something like a DMR it's got a lot going for it. Time will tell if it's what I want for the use I have in mind.

And I was specifially asking for the number of the BC scope caps that fit. I've had bad luck measuring scopes then buying that sized caps before (seems I'm always one off one way or the other).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SPDSNYPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Nope - no zero stop on this. Also, since it doesn't have a turret that has marks telling you what turn you're on, a zero stop would be welcome on this scope. This scope - in my pea little brain - isn't a full-up precision rifle scope at all, but for something like a DMR it's got a lot going for it. Time will tell if it's what I want for the use I have in mind.

And I was specifially asking for the number of the BC scope caps that fit. I've had bad luck measuring scopes then buying that sized caps before (seems I'm always one off one way or the other). </div></div>

Keep us posted. Man thats a freaking bummer. If there was some way to manipulate it like the EREK knob it wouldn't be a problem. Do the mk4 knobs tell what revolution your on?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do the mk4 knobs tell what revolution your on? </div></div>

Yeah - there's a small little numbered scale that you can read. I just mark the one I'm supposed to be on in orange paint pen, then black out the ones underneath it with sharpie. That way, if I have lines visible above the orange one, I'm that many turns up. This scope doesn't have that - but there are only 3 turns available anyway. I still don't have the scope mounted - waiting on the mount. I'll see how it works out. Since this is going on an AR that I don't plan on shooting a long ways off with (600 max, so less than 4 mils of elevation), I don't see getting lost being a problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SPDSNYPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Yeah - there's a small little numbered scale that you can read. I just mark the one I'm supposed to be on in orange paint pen, then black out the ones underneath it with sharpie. That way, if I have lines visible above the orange one, I'm that many turns up. This scope doesn't have that - but there are only 3 turns available anyway. I still don't have the scope mounted - waiting on the mount. I'll see how it works out. Since this is going on an AR that I don't plan on shooting a long ways off with (600 max, so less than 4 mils of elevation), I don't see getting lost being a problem. </div></div>

Same situation here. I have a 18" youth .243 that i just ordered 105gr bergers for planning to purchase this scope. So honestly not looking at over a 600yd shot on game (coyotes and the like, deer here and there) but on steel i might want to take it further.

Mines on the way. I see what SPDSNYPR was talking about i guess i'll measure the diameter of the scope objective lens and then the rear eye piece with a caliper then order some butler creek covers and let everyone know what works out.

I would have liked a new Leuppold, but could not get one like I wanted. So , went to all the ordering sites, no one had anything I wanted, but finally called the "scopesmith", ordered th S&B I wanted, and it is being shipped today. What errked me was some sites advertised they had the scope for sale, so ordered it on line, then the site emails me the next day with crap about they could not ship it to me because they needed to make sure I wasn't about to ship the scope out of the USA . So, called the site, and as I thought, they couldn,t find one to sell me anyway. So, go fugure.

Nice that makes it easier. I guess get butler creek flip up covers 1mm big?

I put mine on a hunting rifle and really like it so far. Its repeatable and holds zero very well. I even had the knobs going back and forth while getting dope out to 800 with it. It would never substitute for one of my S&Bs on a LR rifle but it works well for its intended purpose.

I have played with mine for 6 weeks now. Scott at liberty was great to order from. Size, power, features, turrets and price are all really good. The only complaint I have on this scope is the thickness of the reticle. It is about 1.1 moa at 9 magnification.

Overall I give it two thumbs up as a spr/sam-r type scope.

Got mine in and for 520$ i'm impressed. To my eyes it's just a tad less brighter than my MK4 M2 2.5-8x36mm. The reticle is indeed thicker than the TMR in my MK4 but i kind of like it, and since it's for my dad's truck rifle he especially likes it. His eyes aren't getting any better now a days. I got to reload some 105gr VLDs and then i'll be off to the range tomorrow to chronograph etc.

Without proper lighting phone camera isn't worth a damn.

4l23k9.jpg

xmseg2.jpg

Just got to play with this scope and am really impressed. Turrets are really nice, clicks can be felt with nice subtle sound. Will be going on my 6.8 AR Pig gun.

I haven't gotten to use it yet. The .243 its on is giving me problems and the weather didn't permit today so i didn't get to take it out. Also accidentally nicked a spot on the scope and it took the finish off
frown.gif

I've shot it out to 600yds and tracking seems to be spot on. I emailed Leupold about which butler creek covers to get. Also going to ask if they have any plans for shims as a zero stop option. Because that would be great for this little scope.

The reticle is indeed thick. Covers up a 1" dot at 100yds.

I also have one of these scopes. For the money I am impressed. Mine sits on a Tikka Lite Stainless in 30-06. The scope is small, light, has good eye relief, and the illumination is daytime bright.

The scope clicks are a little mushy, but for the price I cant complain. I am happy with it and if I were to get another hunting rifle would go again or the 1-4.

Cheers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leupold</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The eye piece is 1.6" and the objective size is 1.8"

These are our part numbers. Objective 54060, EP 54077</div></div>

Leupold finally got back to me about the butler creek caps.

Just ordered one of these from Liberty . Going to mount it on a 20" barreled .50 Beowulf AR-15 . It really seems to be a great optic at this price point .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aspen69</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Just ordered one of these from Liberty . Going to mount it on a 20" barreled .50 Beowulf AR-15 . It really seems to be a great optic at this price point .</div></div>

I thoroughly love the little thing. It would be truly exceptional if it had a zero stop. The reticle is a tad thick (covers a 1" dot at 100yds) but for 600yds it's great. I already have a ding on mine
frown.gif
accidently bumped it on the bar counter top at the house and it nicked some of the finish off.