• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Leupold Scopes

gr8fuldoug

Supporting Vendor
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2006
Old Bethpage NY
www.cameralandny.com
Other than being able to share what's announced I know no details as I have not seen anything 1st hand

VX-6HD 4-24x52 (34mm) CDS-ZL2 Side Focus Illum. TMOA

VX-3HD 1.5-5x20 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Duplex

VX-3HD 1.5-5x20 (30 mm) CDS-ZL Illum. FireDot Twilight Hunter

VX-3HD 2.5-8x36 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Duplex

VX-3HD 3.5-10x40 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Duplex

VX-3HD 3.5-10x40 (30 mm) CDS-ZL Illum. FireDot Twilight Hunter

VX-3HD 3.5-10x50 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Duplex

VX-3HD 3.5-10x50 (30 mm) CDS-ZL Illum. FireDot Twilight Hunter

VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Duplex

VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Boone & Crockett

VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 (30 mm) Side Focus CDS-ZL Wind-Plex

VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Wind-Plex Burnt Bronze

VX-3HD 4.5-14x50 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Duplex

VX-3HD 4.5-14x50 (30 mm) CDS-ZL Illum. FireDot Twilight Hunter

VX-3HD 6.5-20x40 (1 inch) EFR CDS-TZL2 Fine Duplex

VX-3HD 6.5-20x50 (30 mm) Side Focus CDS-TZL2 Fine Duplex

VX-Freedom 1.5-4x20 (1 inch) MOA-Ring

VX-Freedom 2-7x33 (1 inch) Hunt-Plex

VX-Freedom 3-9x40 (1 inch) Hunt-Plex

VX-Freedom 3-9x40 (1 inch) CDS Tri-MOA

VX-Freedom 3-9x50 (1 inch) CDS Duplex

VX-Freedom 4-12x40 (1 inch) CDS Duplex

VX-Freedom 4-12x40 (1 inch) CDS Tri-MOA

VX-Freedom 4-12x50 (1 inch) CDS Duplex

Mark 3HD 1.5-4x20 (30mm) AR-Ballistic

Mark 3HD 1.5-4x20 (30mm) Illum. FireDot SPR

Mark 3HD 1.5-4x20 (30mm) Illum. FireDot BDC

Mark 3HD 1.5-4x20 (30mm) P5 Illum. FireDot TMR

Mark 3HD 3-9x40 (30mm) P5 MilDot

Mark 3HD 3-9x40 (30mm) P5 Illum. FireDot TMR

Mark 3HD 4-12x40 (30mm) P5 Illum. FireDot TMR

Mark 3HD 4-12x40 (30mm) P5 Side Focus TMR

Mark 3HD 6-18x50 (30mm) P5 Side Focus TMR

Mark 3HD 8-24x50 (30mm) P5 Side Focus TMR

Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 (35mm) M5C3 FFP PR1-MIL

Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 (35mm) M5C3 FFP Illum. PR1-MIL

Mark 5HD 5-25x56 (35mm) M5C3 FFP PR1-MIL

Mark 5HD 5-25x56 (35mm) M5C3 FFP Illum. PR1-Mil

Mark 5HD 5-25x56 (35mm) M5C3 FFP PR2-MIL

Mark 5HD 5-25x56 (35mm) M1C3 FFP PR2-MOA

Mark 5HD 7-35x56 (35mm) M5C3 FFP PR2-MIL

Mark 5HD 7-35x56 (35mm) M1C3 FFP PR2-MOA

Mk3 HD and Mk5s with the new PR reticle?
uu9pmDP-1.gif

It appears the VX-Freedom AR line is being phased out (listed as "No longer for sale" on Leupold.com) and replaced by the Mark 3HD line. That is, the Mark 3HD is appears to be the VX-Freedom AR with upgraded glass. Both have P5 dials, 30mm tubes, same magnification ranges.

Is this accurate?

It appears the VX-Freedom AR line is being phased out (listed as "No longer for sale" on Leupold.com) and replaced by the Mark 3HD line. That is, the Mark 3HD is appears to be the VX-Freedom AR with upgraded glass. Both have P5 dials, 30mm tubes, same magnification ranges.

Is this accurate?
I had the same thought. The only difference is they list a zero stop and m5c3 turrets on the mk3hd line but the pictures sure look a whole lot like the vx-freedom line.

edit: on midway USA it lists m5c3 turrets but @gr8fuldoug shows them with the p5 dials. Pictures would suggest p5 is correct.

Last edited:
[cont]
[assuming the formal drawing are to scale]
[some comments after looking at it PS]

This new Leupy tree is clearly IMHO designed to perform on lower power...
its a bit thick at 15x...but....comparablly more usable 8-10x vs others
....those others seem designed primarily for 15-18x.

Will be interesting to get peoples eyes/views on this...
could be a viable one in the 3.x to 18x /other optics for DMR

Also worth mentioning the new DeltaPoint Micro for non-MOS Glock or S&W M&P. Dovetail mount, provides lower 1/3 co-witness with factory iron front sight, 3.5 battery life, motion-on, and machined rear sight dots in case the battery dies. Nifty.

So, no illumination on PR2 reticle equipped scopes? Did I read that correctly?

Also worth mentioning the new DeltaPoint Micro for non-MOS Glock or S&W M&P. Dovetail mount, provides lower 1/3 co-witness with factory iron front sight, 3.5 battery life, motion-on, and machined rear sight dots in case the battery dies. Nifty.

Hey now, that is slick!!! But how forgiving is the FOV on such a tiny optic, will definitely be one to watch.

Wjm 308 I agree. They finally make a decent scope in the MK5, and they don’t offer their own tree reticle. Horus reticle and illumination are huge up charge, and 35mm tube is an odd ball size. Finally have a good tree reticle but limit which scope you can get it in. I guess they sell so many fudd scopes they just don’t care about the tactical market.

They have the potential for sure, they just can’t figure out the execution. I think you’re right with the Fudd scope market blinding them to other markets. I have no doubt their 5-25 and 7-35 will sell well with the new reticle. But deciding not to put the reticle in the 3.6-18 and making it an ideal DMR/long range lightweight scope seems shortsighted. Opens the door for Burris with their XTR III to get illumination which is another shortsighted move, going on 2 years plus and still no illumination???

Reactions: Stoweit

Is this accurate?
And the VX Freedom AR models replaced the Mark AR and Mark AR Mod 1 models.

I just bought a VX Freedom AR 3-9x40 (30mm tube), P5 dial with Tri-Mil FireDot. Midway was having a crazy sale 2-3 weeks back.. Looking forward to capping some 'yotes and pigs. Also contacted Leupold about getting a custom P5 dial done for my 77gr load data and they said no problem-o.

VX-3HD 2.5-8x36 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Duplex

No illum, shitty reticle, moa turret.

Seriously ... ?!

Reactions: Stoweit
Doug, or others, where are the 3HDs being manufactured? Thank you

Supposedly only place is Beaverton Oregon, excluding glass I think. Not sure where that is made or sourced.

Reactions: clcustom1911
Supposedly only place is Beaverton Oregon, excluding glass I think. Not sure where that is made or sourced.

Correct. Designed, machined, assembled in Oregon. Glass comes from wherever it comes from, and maybe some small parts like springs or whatever are sourced from wherever. I'll take that over chi-com scopes 👍

Last edited:
The way Leupold does illumination in FFP scopes is expensive. I think they use the diffractive illumination module in there which they buy from someone else. I know there are a couple of other OEMs who are working on making the same technology cheaper, so perhaps there is a light at the end of the tunnel and they would be able to supply it for less, or I could be entirely wrong. I do not have any insight from Leupold on this, so these are just my guesses.

Mark-3 scopes appear to be a re-labeling of the VX-R / Mark-AR products with improved turrets. I am curious whether they made any internal mechanical changes, but the core optical design is likely the same 1.5-4x20 / 3-9x40 / etc that Leupold has been using for three decades now with minor external improvements. It is possibly they beefed up the stuff inside as well, but I would not bet on it. The choice to go with a 1.5-4x20 Mark4 in a market full of respectable LPVOs that go from 1 to something is a little mystifying, but I suppose it comes down to price and reticle illumination quality. There isn't a whole lot of good affordable LPVOs with bright reticles out there since P4Xi 1-4x24 got a price hike.

From a "making sense of the product line" standpoint, I really like what they are doing.

All the tactical stuff is now Mark-something.

Reasonably modern or recently modernized hunting scopes are VX#HD. I happened to really like VX-5HD and VX-6HD. VX-3i scope left me cold, so I am curious what the transition to VX-3HD means. In generall, I think Leupold has been doing a good job on new designs with some occasionally odd choices.

The stuff designed to bamboozled gullible hunters is VX-Freedom.

That's pretty coherent from a sales and marketing standpoint.

Proliferation of the CDS-ZL turrets all over the place is a nice thing. I also happened to really like their M5C3 turrets on the Mark5, so if they make it onto their other tactical scopes, I won't cry.

They do need a Mark5 LPVO and I have hopes for that one. Leupold knows how to make scopes light weight and I could really use a lightweight modern LPVO.

ILya

The way Leupold does illumination in FFP scopes is expensive. I think they use the diffractive illumination module in there which they buy from someone else. I know there are a couple of other OEMs who are working on making the same technology cheaper, so perhaps there is a light at the end of the tunnel and they would be able to supply it for less, or I could be entirely wrong. I do not have any insight from Leupold on this, so these are just my guesses.
Does this style illumination give any advantages that make it worth the price tag?

I know the illumination in other Leupold scopes has other wizardry that make it different from bog standard illumination controls, but the price increase to add a firedot is only $100.

Their tactical line video showed what looks to be two different LPVOs. Maybe they will be a mid-year release? Also very hopeful for a lightweight and quality LPVO. Haven't decided if I need a 1-8 or 1-10 yet but I'd definitely like something above 6x.

Does this style illumination give any advantages that make it worth the price tag?

I know the illumination in other Leupold scopes has other wizardry that make it different from bog standard illumination controls, but the price increase to add a firedot is only $100.

There are some, mostly better efficiency, lack of forward signature and good dynamic range. SFP Firedot is different technology, so it is cheaper.

ILya

I wonder why they haven't expanded the Mark 8 line to compete with the Schmidt 5-45 and NX8 4-32? Not complaining, but they already have a rock solid 8x erector design, seems like an easy jump.

I wonder why they haven't expanded the Mark 8 line to compete with the Schmidt 5-45 and NX8 4-32? Not complaining, but they already have a rock solid 8x erector design, seems like an easy jump.
I could be wrong, but I think those were to fill or to secure a contract... I know the 1-8 was. When I asked the rep didn't say it but I got the impression they're gonna discontinue it. I could be wrong, but they haven't exactly expanded the line, he recommended the 5-25 Mk5 instead (and that one wound up getting a contract as the new Mk22 optic right after I talked to him).

Whew. I bought a plinker .22 last year. I wanted their 2-7 Rimfire scope for it. It was listed as no longer for sale on the Leupold site. And it took a while to find one at a reputable dealer. Part of me was worried that this year they would roll out the better/cheaper upgraded version this year. But at least I don't feel like a chump by getting the old model just a month/week before the new one is introduced.

Been holding off buying a scope to Shot Show but don't see anything for the PRS shooters?

I would say the illumination price has to do with the motion sensing technology. I have a Mark 5 3x18 with illuminated TMR recticle and to me it's worth the extra cash for that tech. Great optic for smashing coyotes and banging steel. I like not finding a dead battery when I forget to turn it off.

John Pynch who is on team Leupold and helped develop the PR-2 reticle said on the JV podcast he preferred the 5-25 over the 7-35. I have a 5-25 with a TMR and really like it.

Here's how I look at this, most prs field shooting is done 12-15X, the reticle will be much more usable in the 5-25 as you're in the sweet spot of mid magnification. To have the reticle at same size, the 7-35 would need be 18-21x zoom, and that's too much in my opinion. I much prefered the 5-25 vs the 7-35. Although the CCH reticle in the 35x model may have been part of that, I hated it, and it cluttered everything.
That all depends on if they scaled the reticles for the different scopes. If I recall correctly, the h59 was not. I remember looking through my 7-35 thinking the lines were super thick at max magnification but really I just had 10 times more zoom on the same sized reticle as the 5-25.

Here's how I look at this, most prs field shooting is done 12-15X, the reticle will be much more usable in the 5-25 as you're in the sweet spot of mid magnification. To have the reticle at same size, the 7-35 would need be 18-21x zoom, and that's too much in my opinion. I much prefered the 5-25 vs the 7-35. Although the CCH reticle in the 35x model may have been part of that, I hated it, and it cluttered everything.

Can you elaborate on this? Are the line thicknesses different in the 5-25x and 7-35x? Unless they changed the line thickness, with two FFP scopes with the same reticle, it should look exactly the same when on the same magnification.

ILya