• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New McMillan HTG M40A1 smear stocks!!!

Major Land's rifle out at R4 at Quantico.

View attachment 8235118

My recent production, custom order smear previously posted (bottom) with a 1980's commercial smear (top).

View attachment 8235119
Defender, I have shot the rifle you're holding in that match. Myself and Chase won that Match with it in April 2016 I believe. We also won it in Sep 2015, but I used a PWS M40A1 and Chase used that rifle.
The CMP is getting ready to update the Vintage Sniper Match rules to allow rifles from 1954-1976. Not sure if that will allow an early M40A1 with a Redfield, but now I'm looking for an A1 stock just in case.

Defender, I have shot the rifle you're holding in that match. Myself and Chase won that Match with it in April 2016 I believe. We also won it in Sep 2015, but I used a PWS M40A1 and Chase used that rifle.
The CMP is getting ready to update the Vintage Sniper Match rules to allow rifles from 1954-1976. Not sure if that will allow an early M40A1 with a Redfield, but now I'm looking for an A1 stock just in case.
Darn, it's a small world afterall!

Did I miss them releasing the last 10 of these? It was supposed to be a run of 50 wasn’t it?

Ugh.... in over 8 years I take a few months off shooting and the forum and I miss this completely. Jesus is punishing me for something.

Reactions: D_TROS
Finally found it! This is the two piece Williams bottom metal for the M40. This is still in the white and uncut if anyone needs some dimensions off of it.

IMG_5281.jpeg

Something I noticed on these new smears. If it was ever stated or thought that these stocks are made using the original molds as the original smears, this is false! I have an HTG stock from 2022 in molded-in desert ambush camo that has the same blemish as found in the new smears.

Attachments

• IMG_5015.jpeg
    IMG_5015.jpeg
    267.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_5170.jpeg
    IMG_5170.jpeg
    501.6 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Something I noticed on these new smears. If it was ever stated or thought that these stocks are made using the original molds as the original smears, this is false! I have an HTG stock from 2022 in molded-in desert ambush camo that has the same blemish as found in the new smears.
I don’t think McMillan ever claimed these “new smears” are made using the original mold from the 1970s/1980s. The original HTG mold from that timeframe is most likely long gone. Aside from any blemishes in the current mold(s), the original HTG(/P since there’s the separate mold with stippling too) mold featured a more squared off front top of the cheek piece. The current molds for both the plain and stippled HTG lines have a more natural curve and blending from the top front of the cheek piece to the grip.

IMG_3482.jpeg

The original mold is very unlikely to have survived this long but sure would be cool!

Last edited:
Do I have to talk to Jesus to get one or what?
I kept watching MCM page and never saw one come up for sale.
There's an email list you can ask to be put on so when new ones are released you're notified. They sell very quickly so this is the best way to get a chance to pick one up. I believe around 10 are still set to be released.

Reactions: MOshooter
Do I have to talk to Jesus to get one or what?
I kept watching MCM page and never saw one come up for sale.
Call McMillan when they're open on Friday and request to be put on their smear stock email list. They have a secret smear stock email list just for the guys here on the forum, and the only way to get on it is to actually call them and give them your information! So, call them asap and request to be put on the list! Good luck with grabbing one, they sell out as soon as they get listed! My advice is to not mess around looking at 2 or 3 of them trying to see which one you like the best. If you delay, they will sell before you get a chance to add one to your cart! So, my advice it to click on whatever is available and immediately proceed to the checkout! Don't mess around with shopping for other stuff, just immediately checkout if you have a smear stock in your cart. I don't think that it's even safe in your cart, I think it might be ther firat person to pay for it, wins it! You might want to already be logged into your McMillan account, so that will help you save precious seconds.

For anyone who hasn't gotten one of these limited edition smear stocks, don't worry! The only thing that makes these part of the "limited edition" is the special light green color that's only being used for these small weekly batches! You'll still be able to custom order smear stocks, qnd you can use any color they carey for the smear pattern! They just won't have this special light green color available. Also, you'll be able to order the smear camo with other stock patterns, not just the HTG! That means everyone's dream of having a smear A4 stock for an M40A5 build has now come true!!!

I hope this information helps everyone out and helps to clarify some stuff. Please let me know if you guys have any other questions about these stocks.

Call McMillan when they're open on Friday and request to be put on their smear stock email list. They have a secret smear stock email list just for the guys here on the forum, and the only way to get on it is to actually call them and give them your information! So, call them asap and request to be put on the list! Good luck with grabbing one, they sell out as soon as they get listed! My advice is to not mess around looking at 2 or 3 of them trying to see which one you like the best. If you delay, they will sell before you get a chance to add one to your cart! So, my advice it to click on whatever is available and immediately proceed to the checkout! Don't mess around with shopping for other stuff, just immediately checkout if you have a smear stock in your cart. I don't think that it's even safe in your cart, I think it might be ther firat person to pay for it, wins it! You might want to already be logged into your McMillan account, so that will help you save precious seconds.

For anyone who hasn't gotten one of these limited edition smear stocks, don't worry! The only thing that makes these part of the "limited edition" is the special light green color that's only being used for these small weekly batches! You'll still be able to custom order smear stocks, qnd you can use any color they carey for the smear pattern! They just won't have this special light green color available. Also, you'll be able to order the smear camo with other stock patterns, not just the HTG! That means everyone's dream of having a smear A4 stock for an M40A5 build has now come true!!!

I hope this information helps everyone out and helps to clarify some stuff. Please let me know if you guys have any other questions about these stocks.
.... now what the hell am I supposed to do with this new forest stock! ?

The frustration is there but I'm still glad they finally decided to bring back smear stocks. Really need to decide if I want to sell my forest for a smear now.

I collected Garands for years. Each one looks the same as the other, so the wife thought I only had one. I did something I rarely do, "asked" for another safe, "why do you need another one?"; "Don't you have enough guns?" I let it go but the seed had been planted. Sometime later she used stealth mode to sneak down the basement stairs when I had the safe door open. Next thing I know is she's behind me sternly saying, "I thought you only had one of those?" referring to the 29 or so Garands I had. It was a less than positive moment...

I need another safe or three, too. I’ve got more guns outside my safe than within. Hell, I’ve got an AI AWSM that lives in a Pelican in the bed of my truck!
That's unacceptable. I'm sure there is something or 2 of something I can trade you to get that beautiful rifle in a cozy safe when it's not run hard.

I collected Garands for years. Each one looks the same as the other, so the wife thought I only had one. I did something I rarely do, "asked" for another safe, "why do you need another one?"; "Don't you have enough guns?" I let it go but the seed had been planted. Sometime later she used stealth mode to sneak down the basement stairs when I had the safe door open. Next thing I know is she's behind me sternly saying, "I thought you only had one of those?" referring to the 29 or so Garands I had. It was a less than positive moment...
I'll give you a similar story....

At BR supershoot one year a shooter (I'm with holding the shooters name) brought his wife along. She would go down to his gun room once in a while. One time she asked him... how much do those barrels cost? He told her $50 each. Now mind you he probably had about 40-50 on his shelves. Some used some brand new... but there is a qty. sitting there. So at the shoot one year she goes along and goes into one of the retailers tents. Sees a sign saying barrels on sale for $XXX dollars.... she yells out his name and says get over here right now! He says what? She points to the sign and says you told me those are $50 each!

Almost got him a divorce! LOL!

These new production smears are fucking cool as hell, glad McM is putting them out. I'm even more glad that neither of my issued M40A1 stocks were smears, so I'm 100% content with my woodland rebuild and don't have to chase a squirrel again.

Yes, as a matter of fact I am posting this just to reassure myself that I'm 100% content with what I have! Tempting, very tempting, but I don't need it.

These new production smears are fucking cool as hell, glad McM is putting them out. I'm even more glad that neither of my issued M40A1 stocks were smears, so I'm 100% content with my woodland rebuild and don't have to chase a squirrel again.

Yes, as a matter of fact I am posting this just to reassure myself that I'm 100% content with what I have! Tempting, very tempting, but I don't need it.
Did Michaelangelo need to paint the Sistine Chapel? No... but he did it anyway.

Same here. … woodland return build… very happy with!!!!

Reactions: Rookie
Did Michaelangelo need to paint the Sistine Chapel? No... but he did it anyway.
I only wanted my old bitch back. I didn't need her to get a highlights dye job to take her back, she was my woodland hottie back in the 90s and still a hottie to me today.

She's actually in pieces right now, going to get it rebuilt with the 6-digit receiver and repurposed the G-Series receiver over to my M40A5, but the woodland camo stock is what I carried and what I want. I'll just Krylon it (again) anyhow, so I don't worry about it too much either way.

Otherwise, I have a dozen-plus irons in the fire and multiple projects I'm funding for the wife and I, including closing on a new home/land that's going to require additional equipment to maintain like a tractor, so I have plenty of other places to put a grand into than something that has no additional benefit for me.

A Sako Smear just sold on the auction site. It was up and gone pretty quick. Lousy pictures, but I checked them to reassure myself that I didn't miss out on an M40A1 stock. If you think about it, it could be rarer than a return stock. How many special orders were filled for HTG's for a Sako in smear pattern. Not that rare equates to valuable. Neat looking stock, anyway.

I guess you never know what's out there and where it will pop up.

Reactions: RemCustom6
Curious to see what the repro goes for today.......
That’s a good question. After looking at the photos of the 40 released, the one being auction is not one of the 40 limited anniversary ones. Also, it’s missing the bedding pillars.

That’s a good question. After looking at the photos of the 40 released, the one being auction is not one of the 40 limited anniversary ones. Also, it’s missing the bedding pillars.
I did notice the missing pillars and thought that was off.....
For my knowledge, what indicates it's not part of the 40 repros?
The pattern looks very similar and it has the lighter green color.

I couldn't find one from the stocks shown earlier in the thread with this mark:

View attachment 8321257
That’s the mark I was going off of too. 2 months ago, after talking to a prominent m40a1 builder company. I was told by them that they had 30 smear stocks on order. This was before McMillan said they were gonna start producing them via email. They also, told me that they were sent a stock prior to the release of them too. Maybe this fall under one of the sample stocks send out to builders

Plus I asked the seller, who is a member on here what number stock it is; said it didn’t have a number 🤷

McMillan sells their cosmetic blems to businesses as well. There was a thread LRI had on here where Chad mentioned he bought several stocks from McM and just specified a model, not color etc since he was going to cerakote anyways. Some were Blem smears.

Reactions: Modoc
im dumbdounded they dont put a $ number that makes sense on smear finish and add it to the options when building a stock to order.
glad somebody caught the lack of pillars on the one on gb, prolly was a blem eh?

im dumbdounded they dont put a $ number that makes sense on smear finish and add it to the options when building a stock to order.
glad somebody caught the lack of pillars on the one on gb, prolly was a blem eh?
They are talking about making it an option.

Reactions: BR7.62