• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New McMillan HTG M40A1 smear stocks!!!

I'm not trying to "smear" USMCSGT033 in any way. I think he is a tremendous asset to the M40 community. I do however believe he has an inside connection, not only did he get the first 2 available it appears a lot of his buddies have scored as well. As for not taking a rocket scientist to figure out..... I'm sure there is a LOT of people that want these stocks and are well aware of that. I just find it odd. I hope everyone that wants one can get one, but it doesn't appear to be as random as he advertised.

First of all, if that was the case why would he create this thread letting people know they’re available instead of just buying them all of for himself?

Second, it’s a free market so who gives a shit? It’s not like he’s doing some meal team 6 shit and snagging them all and flipping them for a quick buck.

Not true I am set up for McMillan emails. I never received anything. I even contacted them to ask to be put on an email list to be notified.

edit: Sorry if my post sounded like I was trying to call you out. I am not. Just trying to state a fact that after being on there list for years then signing up again and even emailing McMillan I still did not receive any notification of the first set or even the second being for sale. I can see if I missed the first as I might have not paid attention because I get ema from them about sale stuff.

Like I said before, I'm not even set-up for any McMillan emails, so I have no idea what gets sent out. I've heard it both ways from my friends today. Some people got an email, while other people never received one. I honestly have no idea, I don't work for them and I don't know exactly how they're disseminating their information. Your best bet is to call McMillan on Monday, and make sure you're signed up for their email list. They could have a separate email list for people who call them, but some friends that had called McMillan last week still didn't get any email today. I don't know if they're collecting email addresses or what, just contact the company and ask about it.

I'm not trying to "smear" USMCSGT033 in any way. I think he is a tremendous asset to the M40 community. I do however believe he has an inside connection, not only did he get the first 2 available it appears a lot of his buddies have scored as well. As for not taking a rocket scientist to figure out..... I'm sure there is a LOT of people that want these stocks and are well aware of that. I just find it odd. I hope everyone that wants one can get one, but it doesn't appear to be as random as he advertised.

Dude, seriously, it's pretty insulting for you to even insinuate that there's anything secret going on. You might not think you're "smearing" me, but that's pretty much what you're doing. How do you think people are taking your posts when they read them? Just stop with the nonsense. I've made tons of posts on various forums about these stocks, I've done the exact opposite of trying to keep them secret so that my friends and I can horde them all.

Obviously I know people at McMillan, but that doesn't mean that I can order stocks or have anything held for me or I get an update before they put them on their site. I also know a ton of people in the collecting/cloning community, especially in the M40xx genre. I'm talking about hundreds of people who are very actively collecting. It shouldn't be of any surprise to anyone that I would know who bought these smear stocks. I guarantee that I know more collectors than anyone else on this forum, so it makes sense that some of these people would reach out and happily tell me that they scored a new stock. To put it into perspective, only about 1% of my friends and acquaintances have purchased these stocks. Maybe even less than that. The other 99%+ haven't had a chance to buy a new smear stock yet, which is the same as everyone else. So, your assumptions are absolutely ridiculous.

I was told about the very first 4 stocks being listed for sale AFTER they were put up on McMillan's site. Anyone looking at their website could have bought them, and then I wouldn't have had a stock. I could have bought all 4 of them as well, but did I do that? No! I grabbed 1 for me, and 1 for a 2112 who has done a lot for this community and volunteer work for the SSA. Did I flip that 2nd stock for a massive profit? Hell no! I put it in the hands of someone who's truly deserving of it, someone who has done a ton of research and work on actual M40's.

That was the only time I've ever been told about the smears, and since they were publicly for sale, they would have told anyone else who called McMillan on that day. The information I got was available to anyone who would have called them and asked if there was anything new going on. And since then, I've heard absolutely NOTHING from the people I know at McMillan. I've constantly told people to sign up for emails and to call the company for any other information. I don't work for McMillan and I had absolutely no hand in creating these smear stocks either. I'm not sure what else I can do to make it more straightforward with this.

And since you have a problem with me getting the very first stock, I'm going to take this a step further. I'm going to donate stock #1 to the Scout Sniper Association for an M40A1 raffle rifle donation build. I'm currently building the SSA a rifle to be raffled off next year, and I've donated other rifles to them for their annual rifle raffle in the past few years. I might as well build them an M40A1 at the same time I'm building this other rifle for them. I do a lot of volunteer work with the SSA and I'm even on all 3 subcommittees for their memorial project, so I'm comfortable doing another donation build for them. You can rest easy now that the very first stock is being donated to a great organization.

Edit, I texted the President of the SSA and he's excited to have an M40A1 rifle donated!

Last edited:
I have to say I'm extremely disappointed to see the negative comments directed towards Ryan on this tread. I have known Ryan for about 10 years now, and there is no one I have ever met in this hobby who is more generous in helping of others by giving away substantial amounts of very valuable parts. I know about every top collector in this field, and I am always floored by how much Ryan does for others without asking anything in return.

I usually try to stay out of these kinds of posts, but I am just extremely disappointed to see anything implied about Ryan's character or he somehow has any control in any of these McMillian stocks. I know for a fact that is obsoletely false.

I am also on the SSA Committee and I don't think it's my place to state publically what I have seen him do to help that organization. But if you guys only knew what he has done, it is extremely humbling.

For what it's worth Ryan, people can imply anything they want (even when it's false). But some of us know the truth. You're a great guy with a huge heart. Thank you for everything you have done to help others in this hobby and please do not let this discourage you.

I will now step off my soap box and would like to see this thread get back on topic and see all these amazing stocks as they are posted. It appears there are still 41 left and that is a lot of opportunities to get one. :)

Last edited:
wrong thread...

will add that I havnt seen if there are any easy ways to determine if these stocks are not original smears? just to keep from buying one for $4k by accident...?

wrong thread...

will add that I havnt seen if there are any easy ways to determine if these stocks are not original smears? just to keep from buying one for $4k by accident...?
Even though the stocks look like the original smears from decades ago, there's still some differences. The seam where the 2 halves of the mold meet is much cleaber on the new stocks. The new stocks have aluminum pillars, whereas the old ones don't. The old stocks have really worn down and compressed/hardened rubber buttpads, as opposed to the brand new buttpads on the new stocks. It would take a lot of work to fake decades of wear on one of the buttpads, so I doubt you'll ever see that piece faked. The old stocks have tons of wear/scratches/dents, and the new stocks don't have any of that damage. The gel coat seems a little different or thinner on the new ones when compared to the old stocks. Looking through the gel coat at the exposed fiberglass weave looks a little different between the new and old stocks. The new stocks are all the same smear camo pattern, whereas the old stocks have tons of different patterns.

In my opinion, it's not going to be easy trying to pass one of these new smear stocks off as an original USMC used one. When you have a new and old stock in your hands for comparison, these little differences can stand out and it's actually pretty easy to see that they're not the same vintage. Also, please don't take anything I wrote in this post as criticism towards the new stocks. The new smear stocks look and feel absolutely phenomenal! But, there are subtle differences, and anyone who has handled both can very easily tell them apart.

I wouldn't worry about any of the new stocks being passed off as original. It would take a ton of work trying to make a new stocks look like an older ones, but even then there will still be differences. Even after artificially aging and adding patina, it won't look exactly like the originals.

Additionally, we have photos of all the stocks that have come up for sale. I can start a thread that has photos of every single new smear stock that has been sold, and we can get a mod to tack it to the top of the Vintage Section. It should just be a picture thread, no discussion. That way anyone can open up the thread and compare a stock that's up for sale with the new stocks that McMillan sold. The camo is done by hand and every stock is different, the camo pattern is effectively a stock's fingerprint. So, a photo record of all the new smear stocks would be a phenomenal resource for people to use. Let me get the photos and information together, and I'll start a new thread that catalogs everything.

I wish they would make some different patterns. But I guess it is a good way of making sure it’s a new run smear.

Reactions: USMCSGT0331
FYI: I have 10 of these on order.
Very cool! Are you going to be building them into M40A1 clones? Or are you going to sell a parts kit with the stock and reproduction Unertl scope mount?

In case anyone is wondering, new smear stocks are still being released weekly for collectors/cloners to purchase. The HTG smear stocks are a limited edition item, with a very very limited production. You've only seen the first few stocks released, but there will be more stocks available. At some point McMillan is obviously going to end the production of HTG smear stocks, but right now we're still near the beginning of this stock release, there's more to come.

Stocks with molded in colors take longer to produce than painted stocks, and in addition to that, these smear stocks have a custom camo pattern. Even though the new smear stocks take more time to produce, the guys over at McMillan are still hard at work making them for you guys. They're also reading these threads, so they understand the high demand for the new smear stocks and what they mean to the collector/cloner community.

Have patience and keep an eye out for email updates, there will be notifications sent out when new smear stocks hit McMillan's website. If you're not on the smear stock email list, shoot McMillan a call and have them add your email address to the notification list. This is a different email list than their regular email list, so get signed up! That's much easier than constantly refreshing their stock sales page all day to see if any smear stocks eventually pop up for sale. There was an issue with the email list last week, that's why some people got an email and others didn't. That issue is now fixed, so everyone on the smear stock email list will get an email notification when more stocks drop.

I have one of these stocks. Before someone says something because I know Ryan, he had no part in any of it. I called McMillan and got on the email list. I gave them two emails, my personal email and my work email. I only received an email in my personal acct and not my work email. So, I do think their email system wasn't working right. Once I saw the email that they would be listed the next day, I literally stayed up all night and refreshed the screen every minute to try to get one. It took about 7hrs of refreshing the screen every minute and I didn't get any sleep for 2 days. So I did not come by this stock easy. lol

With that being said, I bought it to put back for a future build. I guess if one of you guys has something I could use for one of my current builds, I might be talked into a trade. I'm a sucker for anything Marine Corps related, such as take-off parts or Marine scopes. Actually, I like anything Marine Corps weapons related.

I'm not really looking to get rid of it honestly and I know I will probably regret it if I do. But I can tell some really could use one of these stocks right now and in all likelihood I probably won't build anything with it for a few years. Which makes me feel sort of guilty for just sitting on it. So I guess if we could find a trade that is beneficial to both parties, I might just do it.

Just a thought.

I have one of these stocks. Before someone says something because I know Ryan, he had no part in any of it. I called McMillan and got on the email list. I gave them two emails, my personal email and my work email. I only received an email in my personal acct and not my work email. So, I do think their email system wasn't working right. Once I saw the email that they would be listed the next day, I literally stayed up all night and refreshed the screen every minute to try to get one. It took about 7hrs of refreshing the screen every minute and I didn't get any sleep for 2 days. So I did not come by this stock easy. lol

With that being said, I bought it to put back for a future build. I guess if one of you guys has something I could use for one of my current builds, I might be talked into a trade. I'm a sucker for anything Marine Corps related, such as take-off parts or Marine scopes. Actually, I like anything Marine Corps weapons related.

I'm not really looking to get rid of it honestly and I know I will probably regret it if I do. But I can tell some really could use one of these stocks right now and in all likelihood I probably won't build anything with it for a few years. Which makes me feel sort of guilty for just sitting on it. So I guess if we could find a trade that is beneficial to both parties, I might just do it.

Just a thought.
Liking your post not because I've anything to trade, or even in the market for a stock, but because this is very generous of you. Your amazing contributions to both this site and the collector community deserve more acknowledgment then they sometimes recieve. Thank you.

McMillan watching this thread be like…

IMG_2388.jpeg

Another one came and went!

Thats the same one as above. It still says available for some reason but it cannot be added to the cart.

Also if you save the images by right click and download or look under the images on the webpage it shows the number they are as the SKU

(SKU: LP-M40A1-015)

Reactions: deltawiskey
The marketing on these baffles me quite a bit. I imagine McMillan is seeing a long term decline in sales due to changes in market preference and here they have a product that they alone are able to offer, yet they don't seem to want to capitalize on it.

Reactions: shlouf and EOD100
So I finally got one. #11. (After getting the same no longer available on #10)

Definitely signed into my McMillan account, added my address so I could speed through add to cart -> proceed to checkout. Once it’s in checkout I think it locks it to you.

Pure conjecture on my part though.

Reactions: kft101
Question is, who got this M40A1-ish HTG/P as a consolation or secondary prize? :LOL:

Guys if you try to buy one make sure you have payment ready. I got the first one of the day in my cart to only lose it because I didn’t check out fast enough.

Luckily I got I think the last one of the day that came up.

The marketing on these baffles me quite a bit. I imagine McMillan is seeing a long term decline in sales due to changes in market preference and here they have a product that they alone are able to offer, yet they don't seem to want to capitalize on it.
Think they said they’ll make 50. Maybe they’re just testing the market. See what the demand really is. Time will tell

I can’t seem to even find them on their website. What were the listed under?

I can’t seem to even find them on their website. What were the listed under?
Once the new smear stocks are sold (which is only a few minutes, if not seconds, of them being posted), they are being pulled from the McMillan website. So thanks to @Coejro and others for grabbing the photos of them before they’re removed from the site and posting them here for posterity and future verification.

So I finally got one. #11. (After getting the same no longer available on #10)

Definitely signed into my McMillan account, added my address so I could speed through add to cart -> proceed to checkout. Once it’s in checkout I think it locks it to you.

Pure conjecture on my part though.
it did not work like that for me. I was all the way to the payment page and entered my credit card information to get no longer available.

the third I had in cart worked finally. Guess I paid for it first.

Reactions: Coejro
I forgot it was sunday and also the two week cycle this morning plus I was asleep. lol Biggest load they've put out yet. Congrats to all you speed clickers. Feels like old WYRE radio givaways. "Caller 15 gets the new Smear album by McMillan." In would run both my sisters, first fighting each other for the phone and then speed dialing hoping they get picked up for the right number."

You could be right, but only they would know the trends for certain. This is supposed to be a one and done anniversary run. As far as finishes go, some of the examples in the available stocks area look quite good and are far better camouflage. McWalnut would look great on the HTG for an original m40 build with a green redfield.

A "bring back" from 10 years before it was likely made? I'm a rather gullible individual but even I kinda go 🤨 It could be one of the returns but with that story, you have to even question that possibility.
Believe it or not sometimes sellers don’t know the entire history of an item in their possession, original owner could have passed and wife is cosigning the sale could be anything. I have saved tens of thousands on items listed with the wrong name or description of the years. I have seen pretty much every smear picture ever posted publicly and that stock matches the coloring just fine, handwriting is the same for the barrel channel. Not a fan of the pattern but if I was I would certainly drop a few bids.

Believe it or not sometimes sellers don’t know the entire history of an item in their possession, original owner could have passed and wife is cosigning the sale could be anything. I have saved tens of thousands on items listed with the wrong name or description of the years. I have seen pretty much every smear picture ever posted publicly and that stock matches the coloring just fine, handwriting is the same for the barrel channel. Not a fan of the pattern but if I was I would certainly drop a few bids.
True, they could just be badly mistaken but it is a dealer so I would think they'd google if it could earn more money. Its nearly $2700 now with a couple days to go. It will likely go higher before its over.

Hey if anyone wants one of these new McMillan Smears and hasn't got one yet, contact me. I got it for a build down the road, but I just lucked into a return smear this week, so I definitely won't be using one now.

Sold to MSR_762. Thank you sir!

Last edited:
Hey if anyone wants one of these new McMillan Smears and hasn't got one yet, contact me. I got it for a build down the road, but I just lucked into a return smear this week, so I definitely won't be using one now.
I’ll take it. PM sent

Last edited:
Reactions: cplnorton
With all respect and deference to to jetmd, ill take third place in line if it comes down to it. I realize I’m an unknown here, but I’ve been reading here and M14 Forum for years and decided to join both and become part of the community instead of standing outside looking in.

ETA: @cplnorton, you’re gesture is exactly what I mean when I use the word ”community.” Thank you.

Last edited:

Sold to MSR_762. Thank you sir!
No, thank you sir! Now come this Saturday morning I can enjoy opening day of my elk season without having to worry about cell service and refreshing my browser every 30 seconds.

Wheres the best source for a bottom metal for one of these smear stocks?
eBay but the steel post 64 trigger guards are harder to find than the post 64 floorplate. I’m kicking myself for selling the 2 extra I had last summer. Wasn’t playing yet another A1 build but here we are 🤷