Hunting & Fishing  New McMillan Long Range Hunting Stock...

santee116

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2010
Palmetto State
Saw this article yesterday. Seems like a pretty cool stock. While it is made by McMillan, sounds like it will only be available through "Precision Stock Works". Reminds me of the MCS-T with the super high comb.

http://www.hillcountryrifles.com/publish...ing-Rifle-Stock

At the bottom of the article is a link to a nice video review by Shooting Times.

Would be even cooler if you could get McMillan to make them in molded in colors. Time will tell I guess.

RemingtonSPS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2008
Tri-Cities, WA
Re: New McMillan Long Range Hunting Stock...

Looks like a nice stock. My personal opinion is that its a solution in search of a problem. For one i don't think i'll ever own another precision rifle without an adjustable cheek rest, the generic comb heights haven't worked for me. I also prefer the grip of the A3.

If they want to do something revolutionary they should make a lighter adjustable cheek piece so the long range hunter/precision shooter can still have all the necessary ergonomics of the adjustable stocks but without the weight. Maybe someday.

santee116

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2010
Palmetto State

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If they want to do something revolutionary they should make a lighter adjustable cheek piece so the long range hunter/precision shooter can still have all the necessary ergonomics of the adjustable stocks but without the weight. Maybe someday. </div></div>

Amen to that. I love the ability to adjust the comb, but adding a pound, give or take, is a bunch on a hunting rig. I guess the saddle cheek pieces will do it with very little weight added. But they don't look too good, in my opinion.

RemingtonSPS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2008
Tri-Cities, WA

The Karsten weighs 12oz i think. Thats getting really close to a pound. I have been thinking about molding one for my A3 out of Carbon Fiber and using Aluminum screws.

trevor300wsm

Team Pantydropper
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2009
Oklahoma

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Karsten weighs 12oz i think. Thats getting really close to a pound. I have been thinking about molding one for my A3 out of Carbon Fiber and using Aluminum screws.</div></div>

I'd be very interested in hearing your ideas/thoughts on this if you do it. I've been thinking about an alternative to the kydex/plastic that some are molding. I think the XLR piece is good also. All my stocks have the Ajd cheek, except for this last MCS-T that I bought. The rifle will be finished soon and I'll need to come up with something.