• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New member from Ontario Canada.

djcsmith

Private
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2022
Canada
I was going to shoot 6.5CM this year out to 600 yards, but ammo & component shortages made this an unrealistic goal.
So I'm shooting .223 Remington for the first year, as I have reload components, a Tikka T3X CTR, Vortex Viper PST GenII 5-25x, and Harris bipod.
Not having much luck with Hornady 75 grain ELD Match projectiles; I can get the SD into the single digits, but they just don't group as I had hoped. Now experimenting with some 77 & 69 grain projectiles. I'm hoping to pick up some gems of wisdom from the Hide members. I have been impressed with the podcasts.

Grains of wisdom

when are y’all going to overthrow that regime and demand a proper bill of rights?
Our "democratic" regime controls the police & media. When you protest, they arrest you and don't grant bail. Just ask Tamara Lich, who helped organize the Freedom trucker convoy to Ottawa.

• Sad
Reactions: TurboTrout
Our "democratic" regime controls the police & media. When you protest, they arrest you and don't grant bail. Just ask Tamara Lich, who helped organize the Freedom trucker convoy to Ottawa.

We had worst with the English back in the day, it’s a shame Canada didn’t join America in the revolution against tyranny back when it had the momentum.

I’d support the Canadian peoples resistance before some asshole comblocs in ukraine

Ether way, god speed and good luck

Welcome. I’m also from Ontario Canada. The 75gr Elds generally shoot really well. The 69gr match kings are easy to get shooting as well. Not as high bc but work well.

Welcome. I’m also from Ontario Canada. The 75gr Elds generally shoot really well. The 69gr match kings are easy to get shooting as well. Not as high bc but work well.
Do you have a load for the 75ELD's? How close to lands do you seat? I only have access to CFE223, VVN135, & VVN540 right now. Do you find that near MAX loads work best?

Do you have a load for the 75ELD's? How close to lands do you seat? I only have access to CFE223, VVN135, & VVN540 right now. Do you find that near MAX loads work best?
I also start at one of two spots, .005 thou off lands for all calibers, or max feedable for mag length. In this case it was option 2. I needed it to be mag fed so I didn’t even check where it sits off lands. I’ve also found it not to be very picky. I’ve tried cfe 223, 8208 xbr and n140.

Not having much luck with Hornady 75 grain ELD Match projectiles; I can get the SD into the single digits, but they just don't group as I had hoped. Now experimenting with some 77 & 69 grain projectiles.

Have you played around with the seating depth? This will reduce the bullet jump and you should find a node where the groups are very tight. Have you measured the distance to the lands? The experts (i.e. Erik Cortina) recommend starting 0.020" short of the lands and then make cartridges that are seated in 0.003" increments shorter than that. Shoot groups and you should see that some groups are far tighter than others. What you're doing is altering the bullet jump distance between the brass and the lands. This is not a situation where the shortest distance is best. It's about finding a dimension that results in a harmonic node where the barrel's deviation is as close to zero when the bullet exits the barrel.

As an example, I measured my bolt action 6.5 CM rifle and found that the lands dimension represents a COAL of 2.847" compared to the Hornady 140 gr ELD-Match factory ammo at 2.800". I then subtract 0.020" so the longest cartridges I make have a COAL of 2.827". I continue reloading cartridges with various seating depths that represent COAL dimensions of 2.827", 2.824", 2.821", 2.818" and 2.815". (as a side note, even the 2.827" cartridges fit in my AICS magazine) With IMR 4350, my rifle's sweet spot is a COAL of 2.824". With H4350, it's 2.821".

When you finally are able to buy a bullet seating die, spend the extra and get one with a micrometer adjustment. I love my RCBS Matchmaster seater die. You dial in the seating depth and then drop the bullet into the die through a window instead of placing the bullet on the case.

Have you played around with the seating depth? This will reduce the bullet jump and you should find a node where the groups are very tight. Have you measured the distance to the lands? The experts (i.e. Erik Cortina) recommend starting 0.020" short of the lands and then make cartridges that are seated in 0.003" increments shorter than that. Shoot groups and you should see that some groups are far tighter than others. What you're doing is altering the bullet jump distance between the brass and the lands. This is not a situation where the shortest distance is best. It's about finding a dimension that results in a harmonic node where the barrel's deviation is as close to zero when the bullet exits the barrel.

As an example, I measured my bolt action 6.5 CM rifle and found that the lands dimension represents a COAL of 2.847" compared to the Hornady 140 gr ELD-Match factory ammo at 2.800". I then subtract 0.020" so the longest cartridges I make have a COAL of 2.827". I continue reloading cartridges with various seating depths that represent COAL dimensions of 2.827", 2.824", 2.821", 2.818" and 2.815". (as a side note, even the 2.827" cartridges fit in my AICS magazine) With IMR 4350, my rifle's sweet spot is a COAL of 2.824". With H4350, it's 2.821".

When you finally are able to buy a bullet seating die, spend the extra and get one with a micrometer adjustment. I love my RCBS Matchmaster seater die. You dial in the seating depth and then drop the bullet into the die through a window instead of placing the bullet on the case.
I haven't done much with seating depth yet. I have determined distance to lands, I tested most loads at .030 less than that. I have also tried some factory loads of Match ammo which all are way shorter. I'm not getting significant differences, but will experiment with seating once I find a projectile the rifle likes. Magazine length is not an issue as the CTR las a long mag capable of feeding any length ammo.

I haven't done much with seating depth yet. I have determined distance to lands, I tested most loads at .030 less than that. I have also tried some factory loads of Match ammo which all are way shorter. I'm not getting significant differences, but will experiment with seating once I find a projectile the rifle likes. Magazine length is not an issue as the CTR las a long mag capable of feeding any length ammo.
Well my CTR in .223 Remington may not like Hornady 75 gr ELD Match projectiles, but it does like Lapua Scenar 77 gr. Tried some test loads about ⅔ way up the load range and it grouped just over ½ MOA. I'll do a formal load ladder, and then play with seating. Still a mystery why it doesn't like the 75 ELD's.

Attachments

• Ballistic-X-Export-2022-09-06 11:17:58.253603.jpeg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2022-09-06 11:17:58.253603.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 23