• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New member shopping high end precision rifle

Old Man with Gun

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Feb 4, 2019
    Hello all, been lurking around for years, but just joined.

It looks like the stars are lining up and I'll be able to afford a dream rifle.

Background. Long time shooter who has shot past 1000yds in past, but now in South Florida. Local range is 100yds, can drive to 200, 300 and 500 but that's about it unless I plan a vacation.

I have dozens of firearms including NFA, SBR, suppressors etc.

Fun precision I have now is Ruger Precision Rimfire with 16" GM barrel & Dead Air Mask, AR-15 Wylde 18" with GA RECCE 5 and a RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Rugged Surge. I'm getting about .4 MOA, .6 MOA AND .7 MOA respectively.

I want a 1000yd plus rifle, and will likely sell the RPR and use the Bushnell XRS 4.5-30x50 with the new rifle.

My safe can only fit 39.5" so I'm looking at new barrel for RPR, a desert Tech or folding stock chassis rifle. My RPR has about 2.5" to spare with its break so I could rebarrel up to 26.

I put a PRS and timmy trigger in the RPR, but I'm not sure even with a Bartlein it can get to 1/4 moa which is my goal. But if I can get there Its obviously cheapest.

DT SRS A2 is front runner right now, would get a custom barrel and I love that I could get a 300 WM, 300 Norma or 338 Lapua later. Covert is interesting, it will only be run suppressed so not worried about glass, but not sure about having Bipod so close. I run Atlas and can angle legs forward, is it an issue?

I plan on trying to make tiny groups on paper, happy with 6.5C and mostly limited to 500yds an 18" would work for 99% of my range time. Non Covert probably 22"-23" to clear handguard.

I'm not running competitions, mostly shoot bench or prone and haven't been hunting in decades. Do care about spotting my own shots and I think 6.5C has a decent balance of low recoil and good splash.

Anyway, I can spend $5k plus if needed, but am more about function than bragging rights so don't have to

Would love any feedback or suggestions from the group.

Thanks for reading.

The sale on the AXMC is just north of your budget, the only other option as you mention long and short caliber is the DT. I think it would be perfect for what you're looking for.

Yep, I'd get a AXMC for $6750 from Euro Optic and then add the short action conversion and barrel(s) of choice. If you want high end nothing is better than an AI. With the folding stock it will easily fit in your safe too.

If you can afford the AXMC and don't want to ever shoot anything like 223 or 300 BLK then it is the best option going right now except that you will have to fold it.

The SRS A1 at $3500 though from Euro Optic though is a great deal right now and you wouldn't have to fold the SRS A1. Mine is 35" long with a 22" barrel so you could put a 26" barrel on it and be at or under you 39" length depending on how many (if any) LOP spacers you use.

The SRS will be nowhere near as smooth as the AXMC, however, with the same load in my SRS A1 and AIAT the felt recoil seems to be much less on the SRS which is weird since it is 3lbs lighter than my AIAT.

It also handles very well and I love the balance of it over the AIAT. I got used to the bolt position on the SRS very quickly as well.

Barrels for the SRS are more expensive though than the AXMC since they require the $225 extension and they are less available than barrels for the AXMC.

You should contact Mike at Mile High Shooting 1.877.871.9990 . Talk to him, they can do about anything and have a ton available, (AI) and i believe there is a sale on some AI right now.

I would go with Hollywood suggestion and buy a higher end Scope for a 5k budget,since you did say function over form.
    But if you want the DTA go for it. Do you reload at the moment?

I got my DTA from Primal Rights with a TS Customs barrel. I love it. I'm perfectly happy with my SRS-A1, and am not looking to upgrade to the A2.

Also the Tubb DTR for $5850 then you choose barrel etc. You can swap out bolt heads, barrels(swap out like ar10), and has a folding stock. Comes with everything you need to switch barrels, a barrel extension for you to send to your gunsmith so they can install the barrel, and a bipod.

http://www.davidtubb.com/David-Tubb-Rifle-Gun

Hello all, been lurking around for years, but just joined.

It looks like the stars are lining up and I'll be able to afford a dream rifle.

Background. Long time shooter who has shot past 1000yds in past, but now in South Florida. Local range is 100yds, can drive to 200, 300 and 500 but that's about it unless I plan a vacation.

I have dozens of firearms including NFA, SBR, suppressors etc.

Fun precision I have now is Ruger Precision Rimfire with 16" GM barrel & Dead Air Mask, AR-15 Wylde 18" with GA RECCE 5 and a RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Rugged Surge. I'm getting about .4 MOA, .6 MOA AND .7 MOA respectively.

I want a 1000yd plus rifle, and will likely sell the RPR and use the Bushnell XRS 4.5-30x50 with the new rifle.

My safe can only fit 39.5" so I'm looking at new barrel for RPR, a desert Tech or folding stock chassis rifle. My RPR has about 2.5" to spare with its break so I could rebarrel up to 26.

I put a PRS and timmy trigger in the RPR, but I'm not sure even with a Bartlein it can get to 1/4 moa which is my goal. But if I can get there Its obviously cheapest.

DT SRS A2 is front runner right now, would get a custom barrel and I love that I could get a 300 WM, 300 Norma or 338 Lapua later. Covert is interesting, it will only be run suppressed so not worried about glass, but not sure about having Bipod so close. I run Atlas and can angle legs forward, is it an issue?

I plan on trying to make tiny groups on paper, happy with 6.5C and mostly limited to 500yds an 18" would work for 99% of my range time. Non Covert probably 22"-23" to clear handguard.

I'm not running competitions, mostly shoot bench or prone and haven't been hunting in decades. Do care about spotting my own shots and I think 6.5C has a decent balance of low recoil and good splash.

Anyway, I can spend $5k plus if needed, but am more about function than bragging rights so don't have to

Would love any feedback or suggestions from the group.

Thanks for reading.

Surgeon scalpel 6.5x47. Get rid of those RPRs. Nothing against them. I’ve owned my share. I still have the 338 and love it for long range. But if you want consistency and a laser of a rifle you need to look at better platforms/actions/barrels. Do you reload?

Reactions: Ep1985
    The sale on the AXMC is just north of your budget, the only other option as you mention long and short caliber is the DT. I think it would be perfect for what you're looking for.

Thanks, I looked into the AIMX and didnt see a 6.5 version so thinks for bringing up the conversion. It looks like it is 41" folded with the 27" barrel, to fit I would have to go 25" ish. I think by the time I had a 6.5C in hand I would be thousands over my budget. Great rifle, better magazines for sure, but out of reach I think.

If you're not shooting matches and don't care about multiple calibers, I'd just get a good quality barrel spun up for your RPR. A 26" Bartlein in 6.5 Creedmoor would do just fine for you, I think.

I'm considering it, but I like the multi cal option of the others, maybe this can be a stop gap while I save for the AI, if instant gratification doesnt get me first. Thanks

Surgeon scalpel 6.5x47. Get rid of those RPRs. Nothing against them. I’ve owned my share. I still have the 338 and love it for long range. But if you want consistency and a laser of a rifle you need to look at better platforms/actions/barrels. Do you reload?
    I'm not reloading although I used too. I'd stick with a more common round either way, I like bread retail support and easier sale if I part ways with it.

I appreciate all the suggestions I'm getting, but want to stress that I'm looking for function. Please check my logic?

I do believe that rebareling my RPR could get it to <.5 MOA, but but not to the .3MOA or better that I could get from a good builder like Georgia Precision, etc.

For a little more money I can get multi cal, compact and it appears the same precision as often reported by DT SRS shooters with custom barrels.

For several thousands more on AI, Tubb, etc. should I expect smaller groups?

If there is no real difference in groups, I think I'd be better off considering a better scope than paying more for the rifle no matter how slick it is.

Not trying to be snarky, but get the most on paper benefit for my budget.

Reactions: Stoweit
    you get to a certain point of diminished returns. Normally right around the $4,000 mark. Above that youre getting certain features i.e. quick change barrel options. Will the average even above average shooter be able to shoot the difference for another 2-4 thousand dollars, probably not.
    If money wasn't an option and accuracy was the only concern then I would say buy a Tac Ops. You pay premium for features. Is the AX more accurate than the AT, no its not but your paying the extra $2,000 for premium features.
    The other option is to buy a custom gun and save a couple thousand dollars, With the price of premium custom build ever rising and growing concern of wait times and missed deliveries there a better justification to spend the money on an AI,

You say you want function which is good. You only have access to shooting paper at 500 yds and under but primarily at 100 yds max? But you want to build a 1000 yd plus gun. The logical thing to me would be to upgrade the safe #1, then the scope and barrel on the rpr.

This is probably the most practical solution but the cry once part of me thinks it is unlikely I would be satisfied in the end. I'm not sure if the DT will out shoot the RPR, but I will wonder "what if" unless it's a tack driver.

I would also like to plan some trips to get out to 1000yds or more, maybe take a precision course once I'm comfortable. The multi cal not only gets me into a longer range cartridge, but keeps the same glass and chassis for less cost.

I've got more guns than I can shoot, my promise to myself is if it doesn't fit in the safe, don't buy it. I can always sell something to make room, but I really want a one gun solution with a barrel swap.

I think at this point the RPR is just a place holder. Wasn't sure of that when I started this thread, but am starting to feel more strongly about it.

You need an AI/AT folder in 6.5cm. Available for around $4100. Probably a 96% solution.

Reactions: Luvman
    I do believe that rebareling my RPR could get it to <.5 MOA, but but not to the .3MOA or better that I could get from a good builder like Georgia Precision, etc.

FYI, the GA in GA Precision has nothing to do with Georgia...

Anyway, a good aftermarket barrel from a reputable company in your RPR should be capable of producing 3/8" groups - assuming you are capable of it. That said, for what you're wanting to do, even .5MOA is more than adequate. I've put together top 10 and top 15 finishes at PRS matches with ammo that was shooting .5-.75" groups at 100 yards, and I've damn sure never felt like it was holding me back. For someone just interested in shooting for fun, .5 will be just fine for banging steel, even at 1k+. Ammo with single digit SDs and an ES under 20 will be more important at distance than 3/8" groups at 100 yards.

FYI, the GA in GA Precision has nothing to do with Georgia...

Anyway, a good aftermarket barrel from a reputable company in your RPR should be capable of producing 3/8" groups - assuming you are capable of it. That said, for what you're wanting to do, even .5MOA is more than adequate. I've put together top 10 and top 15 finishes at PRS matches with ammo that was shooting .5-.75" groups at 100 yards, and I've damn sure never felt like it was holding me back. For someone just interested in shooting for fun, .5 will be just fine for banging steel, even at 1k+. Ammo with single digit SDs and an ES under 20 will be more important at distance than 3/8" groups at 100 yards.

Thanks for setting me straight on GA. Absorbing all this, I though this would get easier?

Thanks for setting me straight on GA. Absorbing all this, I though this would get easier?

It never gets easier. Personally, I think too many people (especially ones banging steel) get too wrapped up in super tiny groups and super low SDs. When you really sit down and look at the numbers, if you're not shooting serious ELR, BR or maybe F-Class, and you don't have a raging case of OCD, then anything .5 or less at 100 and single digit SDs with an ES around 20 or less is plenty for banging steel out to 1200-1400 yards (or more).

There is a great Surgeon 6 CM in a tan AIAX that is fairly priced about page 4 in the rifles section. I don’t know seller but it’s a sharp looking rig.

It sounds like you have your heart set on a shiny new gun. I'd say just go for it then upgrade all of your other gear/ammo as you go. Do what makes you happy

Yep. I get the feeling OP is going to end up hand loading if he sticks with the 3/8" groups requirement, regardless of what rifle/barrel he buys.
    I have friends who would work up a load for beer money. I will start with a dozen factory loads first.

Because my closest range is 100yds I really do want to try for tiny groups. I mostly shoot my 22lr there for some kind of challenge.

The multi call may be more want than need. AI is a sweet rig and a 6.5C will last me a long way down this journey. I think I need to try and get a chance to shoot a DT and an AI. Never shot a DT and last AI was a long time ago.

I'm in Ft. Lauderdale so will have to find a range day I can travel for.

Don't think I could go wrong with either.

At 500 yards or less its hard for me to justify a high end rifle (like one you'll use for comp), its like having a Ferrari but only able to go 35 mph. Sure you'll be 1/4 MOA but i just find it a waist.

Just get into a rail gun rifles. Stupid accurate and its sounds like its what you're looking for.

Reactions: Graywolf.260
    At 500 yards or less its hard for me to justify a high end rifle (like one you'll use for comp), its like having a Ferrari but only able to go 35 mph. Sure you'll be 1/4 MOA but i just find it a waist.

Just get into a rail gun rifles. Stupid accurate and its sounds like its what you're looking for.
    The Ferrari would still get to 35mph faster than anything else.

Please don't focus too much on what's local, I'm going to travel so I can shoot at 1000+. The small groups are just nice feedback when I can't travel.

Thanks for all the help, it will be either a DT SRS or AI AT. I don't want to mess with a private sale unless I can meet face to face, so going to go put hands on some models, maybe try to shoot the leader and go shopping.

There is the HS percision multi-caliber take-down option. I know because I have one in 308 and 300 mag barrel set up. I've had mine since 2001. Still shoot sub 1/2 moa all day long.

have you looked at the steyr ssg 08 at all ? not sure how it compares to the ai but it sure looks nice and has nice looking and maybe a little cheaper. worth a look at least. or a Barrett mrad ? I do not follow it's a waist my longest range is only 600 but in future as i learn more i plan on traveling more to places with longer and longer ranges. as long as travel is not restricted from state to state in the us there is always hope.

Last edited:
    Old Man, I'm just following this discussion and it seems like what you're actually looking for is more of a benchrest rifle, than a tactical rifle. Much easier to shoot small groups with, off a bench, and at relatively short range. A tactical rifle is built to take more of a beating and to accommodate varied shooting positions.
    It would be much easier to shoot small groups, even out to 1k, with something like this http://benchrest.com/class/index.php?a=2&b=12415

Also, most people don't like to admit it, but the ability to actually shoot 1/4" or smaller groups, is something that takes a lot of work, and education from people that know how to do it, to achieve. I have guns that will shoot to 1/4" inch but I rarely have the patience to do it. Setting up wind flags and then paying attention to them is usually beyond me. A BR friend of mine regularly takes 1/8' off my best groups with my guns!

Just a thought. Keep shooting!

Old Man, I'm just following this discussion and it seems like what you're actually looking for is more of a benchrest rifle, than a tactical rifle. Much easier to shoot small groups with, off a bench, and at relatively short range. A tactical rifle is built to take more of a beating and to accommodate varied shooting positions.
    It would be much easier to shoot small groups, even out to 1k, with something like this http://benchrest.com/class/index.php?a=2&b=12415

Also, most people don't like to admit it, but the ability to actually shoot 1/4" or smaller groups, is something that takes a lot of work, and education from people that know how to do it, to achieve. I have guns that will shoot to 1/4" inch but I rarely have the patience to do it. Setting up wind flags and then paying attention to them is usually beyond me. A BR friend of mine regularly takes 1/8' off my best groups with my guns!

Just a thought. Keep shooting!

I hear you on the benchrest gun, but they are just not me. I'm a veteran and just can't get tactical out of my blood. My local club has several top notch competators in BR, so I do have people to learn from. I do put out wind flags and chase small groups, but wouldn't want to do it with a rifle that wouldn't belong in the field.

That may be me ignoring good advice, but I know what I like.

I'm not trying to be a benchrest shooter, my interest is mostly ringing steel at unknown distances. I bring up tiny groups because it is a way to challenge myself at 100yds and sometimes that is what's convenient.

1/4 Moa is not a requirement, just a goal to challenge myself with. I've shot and watched people shoot groups in the .2-.3 range at 100, I don't think it's that unrealistic of goal for a rifle of this quality range. Benchrest record is what? .009 or something.

Reactions: dinc
    Sako TRG A1, or TRG M10 (M10 only if you need quick switch barrels, or have money to burn).

Reactions: Vargmat
    Thanks for all the help, it will be either a DT SRS or AI AT. I don't want to mess with a private sale unless I can meet face to face, so going to go put hands on some models, maybe try to shoot the leader and go shopping.
    that isn't exactly a private sale..its Tac Ops...

that isn't exactly a private sale..its Tac Ops...

And in case you don't know the history, Tac Ops builds very high end superbly accurate rifles that are designed to be basically all your shots in 1 hole using the specific factory ammo they are built to shoot. They are also a decent investment.

Have you considered a single shot in a chassis? A BAT M in an XLR chassis is a steel shooting setup!

There is always the Barrett MRAD... The prices on them has come down on the used market... ($4250 ish) Check the PX here and gunbroker.. Barrel conversions are out there in the cartridges you plan on using . Not as cheap and plentiful as other platforms but lower start up costs with the rifle make up for that..

@Old Man with Gun, I have to agree with one of the earlier posts recommending a rifle from Mike at Tac Ops. They definitely fit into the "high end" niche and he guarantees they will shoot 1/4 MOA with factory ammunition. Ask anyone on this forum with one and they can all show you a proof target that indicates the rifle will be capable of even better results. My Delta 51 is to be delivered some time soon and I will post some of my own pics and opinions at that time. In the mean time, I would suggest doing a search for Tac Ops and doing some reading about not only the shooting results others have had but also the buying and service experience that comes with dealing with a first rate operation like Mike R. runs. Best of luck.

I’d beg to differ that you can’t get 1/4 moa out of a Bartlein in a RPR. I’ve owned anything from a standard 700, rpr, semi custom and now an AIAX. If i HAD dump AI and choose something else it would be another RPR with a top notch cut rifled barrel. That being said rebarreling the RPR won’t scratch the itch the right way if you’re wanting a new stick lol. Ask me how I know!:ROFLMAO:

Surgeon 6.5X47 Lapua and buy as much Nexus 6.5 X47 ammo as you can. ?

I've made a decision and I'm going with a Desert Tech with custom barrel.
    It will fit the 39.5" space in my safe which many of the suggestions can not, including the folders.

I want to start with 6.5 Creedmoor and eventually (but not now) get either a 300 Win Mag or 300 Norma. By the time I drop the rifles that are not in 6.5C, can't convert between short and long action, etc this is the winner. I also really like that if I burn out a barrel it's just a swap I can do myself.

The DT is also way less money than some of the suggestions.

As far as 1/4 MOA precision, several of the custom barrel makers guarantee 1/4 or 1/2 and it sounds like 1/4 is typical results from the customers.

Since I'll do most of my shooting at 500 or less, a 22.5" 6.5C should be perfect and compact with my Rugged Surge suppressor to start.

Since the 300 WM or 300 Norma would be shot rarely, I'm leaning 300 Norma even though ammo is more expensive and barrel life short. I can use the Surge on this also, so avoiding 338L.

RPR will be sold and if I sell the scope also I can probably fund a much better scope.

Thanks to everyone who contributed and helped me work this out.

Reactions: Curt1521
    Shortly after I posted this my life hit some bumps, including layoff, unemployment, and job hopping before getting a good job. But, it has worked out.

First, I did sell the RPR and found a good deal on a used MPA switch lug in 6.5C with 24" Sendaro. It shot the 3/8 moa factory guarantee with hornady 140 ELDs and 1/2 moa with the cheaper American Gunner. That barrel has 2-3k through it so I have Woody at MPA spinning up a 26" M24 6.5C for it now.

I'm very happy with it. I upgraded to Razor HD2 4.5-27 and had a local shop cerakote it as I didn't like the green stock with the Razor.

It uses a WTO switch lug on a Curtis short action, so I could swap between SA calibers, but I'm only going to use it in 6.5C. Cool part is if I want another barrel, they just make one and send it to me, no need to send the action in!

I've found a 1000+ range a few hours away, but dont make it there often. The rifle does it's part and hits at 1000 most of the time once dialed in. Hoping to hone those skills, first shots are still all over the place even with a Kestrel and rangefinder.

Anyway, my rifle came in under $5k with glass and custom cerakote - it does all I hoped for very well. Wasn't looking for a MPA, but have become a real fan boy.

Attachments

• 20191208_090725.jpg
      20191208_090725.jpg
      724.7 KB · Views: 112