• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Member South Carolina

cauqazn

Always Learning
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2018
Columbia, SC
Hello new to SH from SC am frequently around GA as well. I've never shot or owned bolt actions but built my first around the beginning of the year and I'm in love. Hope to learn a lot here and get my feet wet with some PRS events. If anyone knows any long range clubs/open ranges in South Carolina let me know, I currently just plink steel at Sandlapper gun club (600 yards max) and it's pretty easy for my 24" 6.5 creedmoor. Also avid AR15 owner/builder and dabble in cerakote application and love cars.

My first build:
MDT LSS XL gen2, V5 stock, folding adapter, NV rail
Cerakoted dark tungsten by myself
Deviant Tactical action
McRees Precision 24" 6.5 creed
Triggertech Primary
Vortex Viper HS 4-16 x44
Seekins Precision rings
Magpul 7.62AC mags (love these way more than metal AI style mags)
fqx3L2l.jpg

I have another build in the works, doing a short barrel .308 on an Impact 737R action, Orias Chassis... will be a semi-lightweight hunting rig. The above rifle is about 15 lbs o_O

Last edited:
Welcome from upstate SC.

Elbert County Gun Club in Elberton GA goes to 400, but hold monthly members-only 600 & 1,000 matches off site. Membership is only $130(ish?)/yr. and still open unless we've hit the membership cap.

600 yard matches are held at Gun Site Hills in Lexington GA. That's a daily fee range with steel out to 700. I'm not sure where the 1,000 matches are.

Welcome from upstate SC.

Elbert County Gun Club in Elberton GA goes to 400, but hold monthly members-only 600 & 1,000 matches off site. Membership is only $130(ish?)/yr. and still open unless we've hit the membership cap.

600 yard matches are held at Gun Site Hills in Lexington GA. That's a daily fee range with steel out to 700. I'm not sure where the 1,000 matches are.
Thanks for the info. I've shot at Gun site hills before, it's a nice place. I'll look into the Elberton club, that's a great price for yearly!

Reactions: Howland
I'm not sure where in SC you are, but you can get out to 1,000yds at Clinton House Plantation in Clinton, SC. that between Columbia and Spartanburg. They have daily rates for a 0-300yd bring your own paper/steel, and 300-1,000yd with tons of 1-3MOA steel already in place. Large pistol bays can also be reserved for setting up your own 3-Gun style stages or just plinking.

I took a class there last weekend (Mike Sexton instructed) and actually made a 1,760yd (1 mile) shot! They don't normally have that setup though.

I'm not sure where in SC you are, but you can get out to 1,000yds at Clinton House Plantation in Clinton, SC. that between Columbia and Spartanburg. They have daily rates for a 0-300yd bring your own paper/steel, and 300-1,000yd with tons of 1-3MOA steel already in place. Large pistol bays can also be reserved for setting up your own 3-Gun style stages or just plinking.

I took a class there last weekend (Mike Sexton instructed) and actually made a 1,760yd (1 mile) shot! They don't normally have that setup though.
I'm in Columbia, had a few people mention the Clinton House too. Trying to figure out where my membership dollars will go for 2019, that place is under consideration.

Clinton's 1,000yd KD range

View attachment 6991111
Still need to make a drive out there and sample the range. I'm probably renewing my membership at Sandlapper (now Panteao Sportsman Club) as they mentioned an awesome membership rate for previous members.

Heading out to The Arena Facility in south GA for my first match next week. If you spot a new guy who's just winging it, that's me lol

Also finished cerakoting my Orias chassis for a 308 build on the Impact action, looks pretty good I'm no professional but happy with the results. OD Green, Desert Tan, Federal Brown, and Graphite Black. Thinking I should've used larger stencils in some areas but overall I'm happy, took a long time to do lol.

Barrel is almost back from fluting. Waiting on MDT to send me some special hardware to adapt the Lite stock to their folding adapter, the regular hardware doesn't work out right.

YMXOa91.jpg