• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Member with bullet question

Tacticalrum

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2011
Veneta, OR
I am new to the forum. I have been shooting all my life but have been shooting long range precision for only a year or 2 . My question is this: Is there a bullet for a .308 that flies better after subsonic than others? I have been shooting 168 smk and it is great out to 850. It shoots groups in the 5's at this range. At 1000 is acts like I am throwing rocks. I did hit steel but not with any regularity. I shoot a 20" barrel and the load is sound I just think I have run out of bullet. Any Thoughts?

Re: New Member with bullet question

Oddly enough you have ran out of bullet. Try 155, 155.5 and 175 grain bullets. These guys get out to 1000 yards. Are you getting enough fps out of your short barrel? Watch for signs of pressure but with a short barrel you will need to go up .2 to .3 grains of powder to compensate for your barrel length. At 600 yards I'm shooting 168s with 46.5 grains of Varget with a 20" barrel and that does just fine. Anything further I would have to change bullets.

what kind of velocity are you getting with that charge? My load is very slow. About 2500fps I haven't spent much time messing with it cuz I have been developing a load for my 300RUM. (which has no velocity issues)

I would try the 175 smk or one of the 155 offerings, particularly the Berger, Sierra or Lapua.

I run 155 SMK-P with 46.1gr of Varget @ 2760 fps out of a 20" barrel in 50* weather. It runs very nice out to 800 meter and will hold its' own at 1000 meters depending on fighting the wind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Sebastian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been shooting 168 smk and it is great out to 850. It shoots groups in the 5's at this range. </div></div>

This is a W.E.L.L known problem with the ancient 168 SMK. It has relatively terrible ballistics (BC).

Your choices: 155 Lapua Scenar, 155.5 Berger Full Bore, 155 SMK (2156, not the similarly terrible 2155), 175 SMK, 178 AMAX, and a couple of heavies in the 208-210 range.

Thank you very much for your input. It just seems like I have been spinning my wheels with this 168. My shooting partner and I have been looking at trying the 175smk. With that being said is the velocity that a 308 shoots going to have any real impact in barrel life? Refering to shooting 155 vs 175 or heavier. Thank you for your input.

Mark not real sure of velocities as the pact crono is on the fritz again. Either one the 155 range or the 175 will do good and you really shouldn't see barrel life issues. Nothing like your 300 rum. A small piece of advice if you go with the 175smk go through them with a fine tooth comb. Here lately the 175's have weights anywhere from 174.8 to 175.8 and the ogive lengths are all over the place. Yes it really does matter if you want to get the accuracy.

I used to shoot the 168SMK but now use the Amax series. FAR superior to the Seirra product.

I have an older LTR, if I was to use it for alot of 1000 yard shooting,(I dont, I use a 26" rifle for LR), but if I did I think I'd use the 178 Amax. The heavier bullets seem to be alot less velocity sensitive than the light but long 155's.

Good Luck

The bullet weight difference does concern me a little. I am only about the accuracy. I am looking for my 308 to be repeatable @ 1000 yards. And yeah you are right about the barrel life of my RUM. Thank God its brand new.( the barrel that is) I would just shoot it all the time otherwise cuz it has all the range I want and @ 19.2lbs it don't kick bad either. In your opinion is the bullet weight difference a sierra problem or do you think others have it as well? I don't want to shoot this rifle past 1000 but i want it to get there every time.(in good conditions of course)