• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up New Mexico

Re: New Mexico

Had a really good turn out on Saturday at the precision rifle match in Roswell. I think I counted twelve guys. 3 drove over from Alamogordo some from carlsbad and a few of the Roswell folks

Unfortunately we all found out after arriving that the match was cancelled. Or the match director was a no show. Not too cool havin 12 dudes up at 0 dark 30 to load up and make the drive to a match that isn't happening.

Hell after 2 phone conversations with the match director in the weeks leading up to the shoot I figured it was a go. Oh well we had fun either way. A few of the Roswell Gun Club board members were on the next range shooting low power and they let us stay and play until their match was over. Most of the Roswell Gun Club guys are top notch.

live and learn I guess. It's too bad that the best turn out this guy ever had was at a match he didn't show up to. One of the guys called him from the range while we were all standing around holding our dicks and the guy said the Roswell gun club cancelled his match. This statement was not supported buy the 4 board members shooting on the next range but I guess it sounds like a good excuse. Anyway if you're planning to go to the Roswell precision rifle match on the first sat of the month you might want to reconsider

Does anyone around albuquerque get together and go out to BLM land (or wherever?) and try some really long range stuff? Zia is only good for 700 or so. I've found a couple good spots down south, but they're quite a drive and nothing developed--just the side of a mountain in the distance. It seems like some dead end valley or canyon would be nice, where you could drive in, set up targets, then drive back a ways and shoot. Anyway, I'd be interested in getting together with some people.

I'm going to try and check out the socorro range this weekend. I think it's free. If it's locked up plan B is BLM to the west. Anyone interested?

I'm also in alb. Attend zia matches s when I can. Next one I will miss cuz I'm goin to drill. The matches and drill weekend always seems to be the same.

New member in ABQ. Member out at DGNC, used to be a member out at Zia but getting back into shooting more and will probably get my Zia membership back once they start accepting them again since it's a little quicker to get to.

Always looking for people to shoot with.

I guess the zia match didn't happen. Is everyone out hunting? Is there anything going on this weekend?

Hi guys,

I'm lookin for a LR mentor here in ABQ. I have the equipment and need someone with experience to guild me into long range shooting.

Happy to provide compensation(ammo for you, trips to the range, beer, ect.) If anyone is interested in speeding a little time showing a newb some ropes, i am dedicated and wanting to learn.
Please send me a PM if interested.

Thanks for your consideration,
Dan

We go to Roswell BLM all the time. The patch we go to is on Verbenum Rd which is about 15 miles outside of Roswell on the way towards Vaughn. You can stretch as far as you want there, and best part is when gets closer to Spring the usually depending on weather are a ton of jackrabbits there to which also makes for a good time.

In Las Cruces, just went to the Butterfield range today and Strikers Shooting World (formerly Command Bunker) had a range day going on. Its to promote their new name and the fact they are going to be opening an indoor range by fall. Just putting it out there.

If anyone in the Albuquerque area is planning on taking Precision Long Range 1 at the Whittington NRA Center July 16-18 with Professional Marksmen Inc, please let me know. We can car pool!

Anyone interested in some steel? I want some steel targets so I got a price from choice steel here in ABQ. I can get 4'x8' ar400 strength 1/2 steel cut into(18) 18"x18" plates for right at $1000. So $56 per plate.

I want 4 of them, if I get people to speak for the other 14, I will get them cut. PM me if anyone is interested.

Zia match this Sunday at 800am! Supposed to be ~overcast with a "breeze"

Just did the Del Norte steel setup/match... There were a lot of high scores for the first try, and it was a great day with good weather. It was nice having some extra time to watch mirage/conditions a bit. Some of the hills/drainages would do weird things with the wind. It would be nice to have some longer ranges to try. We were checking out some of the targets from the 1000yd line of the adjacent range; now that would be a challenge (1800 yards maybe?).

I also checked out the soccoro range, which is pretty nice. Does anyone shoot there?

Las Cruces guy here. Returning from a deployment in December and checking if any good events are happening around the state Dec/Jan time.
Have a new AR-15 ordered and wouldn't mind getting it set up at a group event!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tyrion</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Las Cruces guy here. Returning from a deployment in December and checking if any good events are happening around the state Dec/Jan time.
Have a new AR-15 ordered and wouldn't mind getting it set up at a group event!</div></div>

Del Norte Tactical Rifle Match Dec 8, @ 9am. Bring your AR!!

For more info. throw me a PM.

Travel safe.

Shoot, I didn't even know that range was there! Looks like I wont be able to make that event, but I'll keep it in mind next time I'm up to abq. I'd totally go to that if our demobilization hadnt got pushed back.

Men,

The nationwide 2nd Amendment Support Rally is this weekend. Our part is taking place in Santa Fe, January 19th Noon to 2PM. State organizer is Joshua B Kennedy. 505-382-7305.

490 Old Santa Fe Trail, Santa Fe NM.

Please try to be there.

I don't know crap about the gun ranges in Las Cruces, are there any worth shooting at? What about matches, is there something worth while to take a trip? My stock should be in this week, looking to shoot.

Well I moved out here in January to finish a Criminal Justice degree at UNM.... Since I can't seem to find any LR/ELR spots to shoot that are somewhat already set up, a buddy of mine told me about a place out in the desert i might like. It's about 45 miles NW of Bernalillo off of 550. So here is what I'm thinking. I know I have line of sight to all of the target locations displayed.

903013_507616159294838_1897055202_o_zps6856fc45.jpg

Eventually I plan on having multiple steel targets at a bunch of different distances besides the ones displayed in the image. It looks like this spot will be easily accessible by a 2wd SUV. Altitude at firing position is just under 8000ft. I plan on going out there in a few weeks and plotting GPS positions and driving all over the area. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Have a photo of a map you could show here? It would help knowing exactly where this is. I occasionally shoot on some BLM land just southwest of San Ysidro, but never long range rifles. Just pistols and AR's.

just moved out here a few months ago.......looking for some shooters and places to bang steel.......any suggestions from the locals?

just moved out here a few months ago.......looking for some shooters and places to bang steel.......any suggestions from the locals?

Just taking the plunge into long range shooting myself, but the map above looks like a good option, albeit a little ambitious for myself at the moment considering my abilities.

yeah i am with you on that.....1000 no problem but thats about the best i could do out there.

That spot off 550 looks promising. Is it BLM?

For others asking about places around abq, I know of the Del Norte range out in the boonies north west of abq, the zia range south of the airport, and the socorro range just south of socorro. Socorro is further but the range is free and in terms of time/traffic it may be about the same as some others.

For less official ranges there is BLM land south east of exit 259 on I-35 between abq and fanta se, a crazy area west of town past 9 mile hill on I-40 where everyone shoots at a hill, some open areas down towards belen east of the river, and a few other forest service and BLM sites further away. If anyone wants details or some company send me a pm.

edit: oh, and there is the city range out west of town by double eagle airport. they have decent facilities but they are not very nice. if you're shooting 22 rimfire they may put you right next to Mr. braked 300WM, and no you can't move to one of the 20 empty benches further away, an no you can't pick up brass off the ground because that belongs to the city now.

Last edited:
That spot off 550 looks promising. Is it BLM?

For others asking about places around abq, I know of the Del Norte range out in the boonies north west of abq, the zia range south of the airport, and the socorro range just south of socorro. Socorro is further but the range is free and in terms of time/traffic it may be about the same as some others.

For less official ranges there is BLM land south east of exit 259 on I-35 between abq and fanta se, a crazy area west of town past 9 mile hill on I-40 where everyone shoots at a hill, some open areas down towards belen east of the river, and a few other forest service and BLM sites further away. If anyone wants details or some company send me a pm.

edit: oh, and there is the city range out west of town by double eagle airport. they have decent facilities but they are not very nice. if you're shooting 22 rimfire they may put you right next to Mr. braked 300WM, and no you can't move to one of the 20 empty benches further away, an no you can't pick up brass off the ground because that belongs to the city now.

Yea you hit the nail on the head with that city range statement. That's the biggest reason I'm looking for some legitimate BLM land or just taking the plunge and getting a membership at Del Norte.

Match Grade Sniper School will be teaching sniper courses Sept. 2-5& Sept.30-Oct.3,2013.

We have numerous venues in San Ysidro, Rio Rancho, and Cuba,NM that we can reach out past one mile.

Please visit Match Grade Sniper School for more information.

The course is NM DPS POST certified.

Sincerely,

Mark Dietz
MGSS LLC.
505-850-8055

Last edited:
We have numerous venues in San Ysidro, Rio Rancho, and Cuba,NM that we can reach out past one mile.

Besides del norte, where are these places? BLM, forest service, private land? Can you share details?

I found another couple places out west of socorro on forest service and private land. I've got some steel set up on the private land between 500 and 1300 and more on order.

Another here in The Land of Enchantment, Four Corners area. Have a few skills to hone and then would love to hit Zia as well as Raton

Hello to all in New Mexico!!!
cool.gif

Fixing to go down to the match at Zia this coming Sunday hope to see some of you there....I hear they are a blast!!!
laugh.gif

Also the guys at Zia are putting on a big match in May...trophy table and all....

looks like alot from AZ are coming but I hope alot of from New Mexico come too!!! Would like to meet alot more folk in this state that are into LR Tatical....not to many up here in four conners area that I have found yet...
frown.gif

Here is a link to the thread for it's anouncement!!!
grin.gif

Sniper's Hide - For the Serious Tactical Marksman

Hey guys Farmington shooter here. Just bought a Savage that I am starting to build up. Either of you a member at the SJWF range? I am. Shot with a buddy there last week and there is steel set up out to 890 yards there. I made a first round hit on it with my buddy's 300 Ultra Mag too!

McFred I used to shoot at the Socorro range a lot. I shot CMP matches with an old M1 Garand out to 600 yards there. Its a nice range for free. The local club keeps it maintained. Do you live in Socorro? I have a lot of family that lives there and my mom grew up there.

New member in Albuquerque/Rio Rancho. I have a couple of AR's and a "few" rifles. I mostly used to go to the city range due to how close it is to my house. The range officers are ok, the people scare me tho. I started looking for a place to shoot gongs, just welded up a stand and ordered gongs.

A lot of folks said to go off southern blvd out towards Rio Puerco. It looks like kids go out there to party and trash everywhere. To cover my 6, I called the sheriff. I was told, very bad idea to be out there. If you got caught shooting, you could be fined and have your weapon confiscated. I guess, once you get into the Rio Puerco arroyos, that's private land. It made the news a few years back, the owner was pissed that people trashed her land. So it gets patrolled. Additionally, there is no discharge of anything larger than a spitball in Bernalillo County, other than at a range. Fun sponge...

I called Sandoval sheriff next, same deal. I pleaded my case, plus I don't want to drive 2 hours to Socorro or Magdalena where I chase coyotes just to shoot and do my own thing. He had his Sgt call me, I was told to go off the 550 out of Bernalillo and folks will leave me alone. It borders Zia Pueblo, so I needed to ensure I wasn't on their land. I scouted the area out, nice sweeping hills to use as backstop.

I love to shoot and I would love to learn how to shoot out to 1000 plus. My longest shot is 550. My dad was firm at not taking long shots at deer, so I grew up shooting inside 250 yards. If anyone is looking for someone to go shoot with or just hang out, shoot me a PM.

New member in Albuquerque/Rio Rancho. I have a couple of AR's and a "few" rifles. I mostly used to go to the city range due to how close it is to my house. The range officers are ok, the people scare me tho. I started looking for a place to shoot gongs, just welded up a stand and ordered gongs.

A lot of folks said to go off southern blvd out towards Rio Puerco. It looks like kids go out there to party and trash everywhere. To cover my 6, I called the sheriff. I was told, very bad idea to be out there. If you got caught shooting, you could be fined and have your weapon confiscated. I guess, once you get into the Rio Puerco arroyos, that's private land. It made the news a few years back, the owner was pissed that people trashed her land. So it gets patrolled. Additionally, there is no discharge of anything larger than a spitball in Bernalillo County, other than at a range. Fun sponge...

I called Sandoval sheriff next, same deal. I pleaded my case, plus I don't want to drive 2 hours to Socorro or Magdalena where I chase coyotes just to shoot and do my own thing. He had his Sgt call me, I was told to go off the 550 out of Bernalillo and folks will leave me alone. It borders Zia Pueblo, so I needed to ensure I wasn't on their land. I scouted the area out, nice sweeping hills to use as backstop.

I love to shoot and I would love to learn how to shoot out to 1000 plus. My longest shot is 550. My dad was firm at not taking long shots at deer, so I grew up shooting inside 250 yards. If anyone is looking for someone to go shoot with or just hang out, shoot me a PM.
I'm near Los Lunas and I have a great spot. I shoot out to 1000 yds and would be happy to help. I have plenty of steel, just need someone to shoot with. Very close to my home so I'm really lucky.

If you're looking for places to shoot out in the desert near Albuquerque, or anywhere in New Mexico for that matter, I'd highly recommend using OnX Hunt Maps to make sure that your actually on BLM land. Recreational shooting is not allowed on NM State Trust lands (very annoying) and there's lots of private land interspersed with the public sections pretty much everywhere.

For what you're interested in doing however, the absolute best place to go is the Del Norte Gun Club out to the northeast of Rio Rancho. The membership runs about $200/year but it is really worth it when you see all has to offer. For someone learning how to shoot long range, they have a tactical-known-distance (TKD) steel plate range that goes in increments from 100 all the way out to 1000. Tons of other pistol, rifle, shotgun, and archery ranges as well. I've been a member of lots of different ranges throughout the CONUS and Del Norte is by far the best. It even puts the Whittington Center up in Raton to shame. Del Norte also has the best monthly PRS match in the Albuquerque area.

Hey Bergara, I'm working temporarily in Alamogordo. Any chance I could ring steel with you sometime? The local range only goes to 350 yd. The public range truth or consequences goes to 650 which is still kind of not worth the trouble.

Hey Bergara, I'm working temporarily in Alamogordo. Any chance I could ring steel with you sometime? The local range only goes to 350 yd. The public range truth or consequences goes to 650 which is still kind of not worth the trouble.
You betcha! 104 here today so I'm in no hurry to get out in that. I shoot pretty often at the Alamogordo range with a buddy that lives up in Cloudcroft. We're planning on shooting at the match in Ruidoso for the 1st time on the 22nd. It's a mid-range shoot but a chance to compete and meet other shooters. It's strictly high desert here but I've got a spot already set up for 1000. Where are you from?

Reactions: Rookie
You betcha! 104 here today so I'm in no hurry to get out in that. I shoot pretty often at the Alamogordo range with a buddy that lives up in Cloudcroft. We're planning on shooting at the match in Ruidoso for the 1st time on the 22nd. It's a mid-range shoot but a chance to compete and meet other shooters. It's strictly high desert here but I've got a spot already set up for 1000. Where are you from?
I'd like to learn more about that. I'll be visiting Silver City around that time, map shows it not too far. Anyone else in the SC area, I know about Grant County range, and if youre careful and follow the few rules you can shoot in the Gila NF.

If you're looking for places to shoot out in the desert near Albuquerque, or anywhere in New Mexico for that matter, I'd highly recommend using OnX Hunt Maps to make sure that your actually on BLM land. Recreational shooting is not allowed on NM State Trust lands (very annoying) and there's lots of private land interspersed with the public sections pretty much everywhere.

For what you're interested in doing however, the absolute best place to go is the Del Norte Gun Club out to the northeast of Rio Rancho. The membership runs about $200/year but it is really worth it when you see all has to offer. For someone learning how to shoot long range, they have a tactical-known-distance (TKD) steel plate range that goes in increments from 100 all the way out to 1000. Tons of other pistol, rifle, shotgun, and archery ranges as well. I've been a member of lots of different ranges throughout the CONUS and Del Norte is by far the best. It even puts the Whittington Center up in Raton to shame. Del Norte also has the best monthly PRS match in the Albuquerque area.
Yeah, I'm hoping to get up there this fall. The place looks pretty good online. It's about an hour drive from my place so when I can get some help, I like to shoot out here. This is a very special spot and there is no problem with the law out here. Come join me sometime.

I shot an F class match at El Capitan with my tac rifle a couple years ago. I didn't find those guys in that club to be all that friendly or helpful. Holler at me next time you guys hit the Paul Gordon range and I'll meet up with you!

I'd like to learn more about that. I'll be visiting Silver City around that time, map shows it not too far. Anyone else in the SC area, I know about Grant County range, and if youre careful and follow the few rules you can shoot in the Gila NF.
I don't know of any areas down that way. I haven't been to Silver City in years. Yes, you can shoot in the national forest as long as it's safe. Do you ever get up in the Albuquerque area?

I shot an F class match at El Capitan with my tac rifle a couple years ago. I didn't find those guys in that club to be all that friendly or helpful. Holler at me next time you guys hit the Paul Gordon range and I'll meet up with you!
I've wondered about Capitan. Anyway, yeah, I'll hit you up when we're gonna be in Alamo. By the way, we have a buddy that owns a 10000 acre ranch in Elk. It's about 15 or 20 minutes east of Mayhill and we shoot everything from 200 to 1000 out there. You'd be welcome to join us. He's got covered benches and pretty much a private range. He just hosted a shoot on the 1st. Had 17 guys show up and I won the cowboy shoot. That's 400, 500 and 600 yds. I won the 800 there last year. Anyway, are you military?

I don't know of any areas down that way. I haven't been to Silver City in years. Yes, you can shoot in the national forest as long as it's safe. Do you ever get up in the Albuquerque area?
I try to avoid cities, but might head up to Raton on the way back so would be passing through.