• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New NF "Beast" scope rumors.... let's hear them

Re: New NF "Beast" scope rumors.... let's hear them

can't wait for this to come out of hiding.......... no pun intended!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pgh_rugger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Do you happen to know an approximate objective diameter?
wink.gif
</div></div>

Yes, not only do I know the approximate, I know the exact objective diameter. </div></div>

Ahh Frank, you remind me of a curmudgeony old guy that used to come onto the bar I tended at as a young man every morning for his coffee and paper.
More than once I heard someone ask him "do you have the time?"
and without so much as looking up from his reading, every time he'd say "yes, but not the inclination."

I loved that guy.

Ive always been a nightforce fan and thats whats on my rifles but the new S&B with the MSR reticle looks awesome. Now Im up in the air for what to wait for. Does anyone have any real data as to what we could truely be expecting out of this scope.

We put men on the moon, we have the most modern aircraft in the skies. Always wandered why we couldnt grind glass with the best in the world. If an American company comes to the market with a scope that I feel rivals the glass in my S&B I am in. I spent 3 grand on my S&B but if I can get an American made product for a few bucks more that is its equal you will not here me bitching about price!

Love my PH 5-25, wonder how the features on this new optic will stack up? I would love to know?

I respect the new technology and am excited about the new scope but,............ I'm thinking the days of mechanical telescopes is nearly over. If we want to dream, dream big. With the new super small 3D displays and super high resolution sensors believe we will be looking through something a lot more advanced in the not so distant future. I believe the technology is already here and is prime for someone with deep pockets to put together a compact scope that reads the conditions, ranges, auto adjusts the reticle and records the shot for playback in an electronic fully updatable reprogramable modular scope that could easily have it user servicable with a mini USB plug and a laptop. No need to ever buy a new scope. Just download the upgrades or thread in a module. Eventually even IR and thermal.

If we can put a guidance system in a 50 BMG projectile that can withstand being fired we certainly ought to be about able to make electronics for this reliable enough to withstand recoil. There is no need for a scope like this to be any larger or heavier than a current 30mm tube scope with a 30 or 40mm front objective lens. Around a pound or so. The zoom or field of view could go from sub 1 power fisheye to a couple hundred power and with bluetooth monical or ball cap heads up display we could do it from some really unorthodox shooting positions. I further believe that with a little competition this technology would eventually be brought down to the point where about anyone that wanted one could afford it.

Most of what you described is available already in the Barrett BORS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtb33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of what you described is available already in the Barrett BORS. </div></div>

BORS is very simple system using tables. Latest firmware is years old already, so it seems they gave up. Not even sure if it has wind calculations, originally it didnt have it.
Also it does not work in cold enviroment.
German BC-01 is another story. Looks same but is much, much more advanced system and has wireless connection to LRF or windmeter.

What I was trying to say is on the occular end of the scope we will be looking at an enclosed high definition 3D mini monitor rather than actual magnified light waves. Rather than mechanical erector assembly the scope tube will be where the mini hard drive and processor will live. Like a digital camcorder in a 30mm tube. The capabilities will the difference of this
61_first_camera.jpg
And this
nikon_d7000_22.jpg

A Bors is just a scope mounted balistic calculator. It doesn't have the ability to enhance the optical capabilities of the scope in any way.

I doubt you will see a screen application for a very long time. They will always want a back up to be able to see past the electronic aspect of the scope.

I have been privy to a pretty high speed system, and it did a ton of stuff, however if all of that died, you still had the scope with an etched holdover reticle. I can't even say what this electronic bundle the size of a pack of gum did to the scope, but trust me, 'it's in there"... still no screen, more HUD.

I'm reluctant to trust a system like that (a system without some sort of manual redundancy) and there are too many examples of electronics crapping out at the worst times. Not to mention the danger of it falling into enemy hands before it's time.

We have the best marksmen on the planet and a widget didn't get them there. Give our troops the best I say but not at the expense of simplicity when their world is on fire.

Our addiction to electronics will bury us some day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having served as the sharp end of the sword, and now the hilt; I prefer to think of it as "a well regulated militia." Or well armed, at least. </div></div>

Well armed indeed.

i heard 3400

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like from what I've heard they are shooting for the moon with this one, all the quality of NF with Hensoldt level glass. We can only hope the price does not follow. So if it's going to be priced in the Hensoldt range or god forbid even higher they can keep it.

Not to mention how long did we get teased about the F1 before it was released so even though they had the Beast in the "back room" at Shot for all we know it could be 2013 before they hit the civi market, there have been rumors of the 5-25 FFP for a couple years already now. Don't get me wrong kudos to NF for truly testing their stuff out before bringing it to market instead of the standard practice of letting customers beta test them, but I'll worry about them when they are on the market.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the price will just make them another S&B/Hensoldt contender to be debated in endless threads comparing them when what was really needed was a 5-25 power F1 priced option. I mean seriously how many $3000-3500 scopes do we need and can the market support. </div></div>

I completely agree with your prediction. NF has gotten too big for their britches and believe their products are on par with the "best", and want to demand similar prices..

"The Moon" for a scope will be the S&B 3-20 when it's finally available.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bat146</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i heard 3400</div></div>

I like NightForce scopes but for that price, I would get an S&B or Hendsoldt. Am I saying the NF wouldn't be worth it? No, but S&B (from what I've seen) and Hendsoldt (from what I've heard) have clarity that is second to none.

Innovation, folks. It's time.

First of all, I'm not privy to NF's new design. Next time I'm in Idaho I might see if they can squirt me some info now that they've thrown down the patents.

What I am going to say is that modern scopes SUCK. They do. For $2000 I should be able to get a machine that does a lot more. We are living in the computer age here - the idea I should have to look out of my optic to work a ballistics problem is nutz.

For $3k+ we should be able to make something better than the current crop of scopes - ones that are very well made with almost zero innovation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steelhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have no clue and I wasn't invited behind the curtain, but I'll take a guess at some features......

1) Integrated laser range-finder
2) "Digital" reticle light switches
3) Optional integrated nightvision/thermal imaging
4) Integrated 1x red-dot sight or iron site system
5) Integrated anti-cant device
6) Integrated angle indicator
</div></div>I would add to that list of speculations:
7) Integrated ballistics calculator/compensator ala Barret BORS
8) Integrated weather station
</div></div>
9) Microwave for tactical hot pockets in the field
10) porta potty for when in that deep hide
11) Free WiFi </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Addition's to Rob01's list:
12) DVD player for those "long waits" in the hide
13) trigger sensor/puller...when it's on target it shoots
Seriously, yes it will be expensive, but it sounds like it's going to be fantastic and ultimately, most of us are just going to have to wait to get the final word on exactly what it is.
</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steelhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
14) GPS with micro SD card slot for loadable maps
15) Tactical bacon dispensor
16) Retractable mirror for putting camoflage make-up on </div></div>

17) You will be able to see into the future (thanks to a new patented glass coating)

That's real close but I got the low down from the recently released "Shooting Ninja Glock" video on YouTube. Not only can it see into the future but into the past. It's also calibrated to shoot from 3-7 miles. The pistol package is pretty amazing too. Check it out.

If this scope is all that its cracked up to be and is $3400 I might as well save another $900 and get it. But I really have no clue....Ill be 160 miles North'ish of NightForce end of October I might as well drive down and get the scoop haha.

OK guys, here it is. The scope was developed with much testing by the Marines. Something simple and time tested. With pretty colors. The scope and reticle combination was the only one that held their attention for more than 3 seconds. The ooooh ahhhh count was a record.

The scope
Kaleidoscopejpg1.jpg

The reticle:
Kaleidoscope.jpg

The word is that the only holdup at this point is related to a dispute with Horus. Horus claims that the reticle is too close to a few of their designs, and they are claiming patent infringement.

My guess it will be something along the lines of this:

JackTelescope.jpg

Did you guys miss the link to the patents? Few minutes of reading, it's all explained to you. LL was right, its am ingenious system for the turrets, I like the lever for fine adjustment.

I'm an avid fan of S&B - I think they're the greatest. That being said, I'm also a fan of ingenuity and advancement. So, if NF comes out with a better product, then more power to 'em. To the victor goes the spoils, and so should the bragging rights if the NF is as good as LL says. I will personally have a hard time giving up the tried and true relentless quality and refinement of S&B, and will want to give it some time before jumping on the "beast" bandwagon.

I am anxious to see if scopes can get "better". I think we're pushing the limits of optical clarity and mechanical refinement as is. Most of these new advancements are going to be taking it all to the 'nth degree.

It's exciting, but I'm still waiting for the S&B 3-20. Where are you my dear?!?!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UncleBenji</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am anxious to see if scopes can get "better". </div></div>

I'm not. If scopes are at the $2k-$2k mark now, imagine what they are going to be at. Hmm... new car or scope?

fwiw,
We shall see. Literally and figuratively...

I have said for a number of years that, imho, Schmidt Bender PMIIs offered the best scope for the money. A proven scope. That said I have also said that may not be accurate in 5 years.

I've seen beta model purchase options, or more acccurately alpha/beta/photoshop hook, line, and sinker purchases made for $2800. All based on hot air.

I've never shorted the NXS(non-F1) as anything short as a strong tier two scope. The F1 is good glass but overpriced and that is not an opinion that requires too jaundiced an eye. I have no doubt Nightforce can become a tier one company, and market THE Tier One Scope.... None. I was a fan of Nightforce(BRs in 97')before I came to prefer Dick Thomas's Gen 2 LR M1. Not Premier but the late Dick Thomas.

I then discovered the 4-16x50 PMII, long after JW Huskey had done so, and the beginning of the Best in the World...

I STILL think Schmidt Bender produces The Best in The World. The 4-16x42 and 5-25x56 in various iterations have been it for some time.

I most assuredly will NOT be placing any pre-orders nor will I be writing to beg an early comp, however, many interesting things are going on at Nightforce. Not the least of which a change in Management.

They MAY, and likely will, do amazing things... I will be watching and allow time and other's money do the testing. It will be interesting to read and I can see some of my money going in that direction if I see a cost/benefit line that justifies what seems to be a precursor to another player in the $3K plus market.

Regards, Matt Garrett
757-581-6270

As an aside I would like to see more elite scopes and rifles actually shot rather made into temporary mates in the prominent spot in the safe. Lindy's commentary on Jacob's AW frequently comes to mind when the latest and greatest come to mind. Respectfully submitted...

So here we are, almost time for SHOT 2012, anything supposed to be released there?