• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Nightforce shv hunting scope

Mark williams

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2013
Alabama
Anybody had their hands on one of these. 4.5x 14x56 with moar or hsv reticle. Price from 925 to 1129.00 with illuminated reticle. Sounds interesting!

I haven't found them in stock anywhere. I bet after SHOT they will be available. I got a couple buddies going, told them to check it out for me. The only feature I'm not liking is the 56mm objective. I would have loved to see a 50mm. All in all though it may ride a top my hunting rig!

The SHV will not be on dealers shelves until late March.

Just curious, why the hate for the 56mm objective over the 50mm?

I'd prefer to have a 50mm or less on a hunting/varmint scope as well just to keep the scope low. Most "hunting" stocks don't have adjustable cheekpieces so mounting the scope up higher as generally required for larger objective lenses means a compromised cheek weld. This obviously isn't always true. I'm sure the dedicated varmint hunters that find themselves sighting in on a coyote at dawn/dusk or even at night will appreciate the 56mm objective. I'd still like to try out the SHV anyway, looks like an exceptional offering.

Geb

I'm just wondering if it is the perceived mounting height? That tends to be what I find out. People assume that the 56mm objective requires a higher mounting solution than a 50mm when in turn, the majority of the time, they can use the same height solution.

Last edited:
I'm just wondering if it is the perceived height mounting? That tends to be what I find out. People assume that the 56mm objective requires a higher mounting solution than a 50mm when in turn, the majority of the time, they can use the same height solution.

I think you are exactly right. With the smaller profile barrels, even the smaller contour match barrels a 56mm obj can sometimes still be mounted sufficiently low. Perceptions....

Geb

I'm just wondering if it is the perceived mounting height? That tends to be what I find out. People assume that the 56mm objective requires a higher mounting solution than a 50mm when in turn, the majority of the time, they can use the same height solution.

It's not an assumption, it's fact. Sure you can put a 50mm in a mount high enough to just clear a 56mm and have plenty of room. A mount that's just high enough to clear a 50mm isn't going to clear a 56mm though.

I believe NF has made a mistake in doing this, just look how many 3.5-15x50's sell compared to the 56mm version. People don't want a big honkin objective unless they need one and a 4-14 has plenty good exit pupil size with a 56. I'd be all over this scope if it was a 44-50mm objective. I'm sure it's going to sell ok since it is a sub $1k NF bit there will also be lost sales.

It's not an assumption, it's fact. Sure you can put a 50mm in a mount high enough to just clear a 56mm and have plenty of room. A mount that's just high enough to clear a 50mm isn't going to clear a 56mm though.

I believe NF has made a mistake in doing this, just look how many 3.5-15x50's sell compared to the 56mm version. People don't want a big honkin objective unless they need one and a 4-14 has plenty good exit pupil size with a 56. I'd be all over this scope if it was a 44-50mm objective. I'm sure it's going to sell ok since it is a sub $1k NF bit there will also be lost sales.

You can take our 3.5-15x50 and mount it on a Remington 5R with .885" tall rings and also mount the 3.5-15x56 in the same rings, granted there is tighter clearance to the barrel, but it mounts up in the same rings.

Yes, my concern is with mounting height. I have a Tikka T3 lite stainless. It looks like I will be OK with medium rings. Possibly even lows with the light barrel. I am pretty excited to check this scope out. I do like the extra light gathering capabilities of the 56, but I don't want the scope sitting too high.

You can take our 3.5-15x50 and mount it on a Remington 5R with .885" tall rings and also mount the 3.5-15x56 in the same rings, granted there is tighter clearance to the barrel, but it mounts up in the same rings.

My point exactly, that 50mm will go on a rem varmint contour with .823" rings and still clear the bikini cover with minor trimming. Let's see a 56mm do that.

Before I sent the rifle off to be dipped and cerakoted I mounted up a 44 mm objective scope in Warne maxima medium rings. I can't remember how much clearance I had, but 44mm- 56mm is just shy of a half inch. So really I would need only about a quarter inch of clearance to get the 56 set up. This is going on a dedicated hunting rig.

A smaller objective might be nice, but the 56 definitely won't be stopping me. It would be great to see some MIL based reticles and adjustments though.

00Bullitt- Any chance we might see some mil/mil SHV scopes or possibly some additional magnification ranges in the future? Depending on what and where you're hunting 4x on the low end of the magnification can sometimes be too much.

I gotta say, I think that its awesome that NF has taken the initiative to develop and bring a high quality scope to the market for us guys that dont have $3k to spend on optics. Thanks!

My point exactly, that 50mm will go on a rem varmint contour with .823" rings and still clear the bikini cover with minor trimming. Let's see a 56mm do that.

The 56mm will mount in our .885" rings, which are the lowest height that we offer. It will not mount in lower rings than .885"
But it proves that the assumption that higher rings are needed is not true. You can always mount scopes lower when objective size allows, but there does tend to be a point of diminishing returns.
I have an NXS Compact 2.5-10x32 on a LW hunting rig mounted in .885" height rings. I tried mounting it in Seekins .82" rings, but then I was not able to obtain a low enough cheek weld to see through the scope.

MWM-5150......we shall see. I cannot definitively comment. I apologize. Good things are in the works.

Last edited:
A smaller objective might be nice, but the 56 definitely won't be stopping me. It would be great to see some MIL based reticles and adjustments though.

00Bullitt- Any chance we might see some mil/mil SHV scopes or possibly some additional magnification ranges in the future? Depending on what and where you're hunting 4x on the low end of the magnification can sometimes be too much.

I gotta say, I think that its awesome that NF has taken the initiative to develop and bring a high quality scope to the market for us guys that dont have $3k to spend on optics. Thanks!

Had this scope come out in Mil Turrets and a Mil-R or even plain jane Mildot Reticle, even with the less than desirable 56mm Objective, I'd have been all over it!!!

Although, maybe I'll just "settle" on the new 2.5-10x42 instead :)

Last edited:
Great looking scope, glad your hitting this market.Vortex seems to be sweeping the Mid priced/sub 1k world.I too would prefer the 50mm.IMO 56mm on an AR is odd looking.Can't wait to see what other offerings come from NF!

The 56mm will mount in our .885" rings, which are the lowest height that we offer. It will not mount in lower rings than .885"
But it proves that the assumption that higher rings are needed is not true. You can always mount scopes lower when objective size allows, but there does tend to be a point of diminishing returns.
I have an NXS Compact 2.5-10x32 on a LW hunting rig mounted in .885" height rings. I tried mounting it in Seekins .82" rings, but then I was not able to obtain a low enough cheek weld to see through the scope.

MWM-5150......we shall see. I cannot definitively comment. I apologize. Good things are in the works.

More importantly. Where is this low-priced offering being made and where are the parts and glass from?

More importantly. Where is this low-priced offering being made and where are the parts and glass from?

I thought this myself, but to be honest, I think it is a little inconsequential. I would love to be told that its made in the same factory as the NXS or other NF pieces, but I really don't see how it is that important. NF has no interest in putting out a shoddy product. Regardless of where its made, I trust they saw that it was made well. In the unlikely event that something should go wrong, you can rest assured you will be well taken care of.

The SHV is Made in Japan by the same optic vendor that we have been partnered with for the past 20 years. It is a very quality piece at an economical price point for a Nightforce product.

Below is a pic of what the adjustments look like under the cap. They are a finger adjustable zeroing type that offers 10moa per revolution and it lifts to expose the scale.

Attachments

• SHV Adjustment under cap.jpg
    SHV Adjustment under cap.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 14
This will definitely sit on top of my 6.5x 284 hunting rig. 00 , can kenton ind make a ballistic turret for these?

Thanks for the 56mm....I think you made the right production decision.

Would really like to see an SHV 2.5-10x42 with a basic "hash-mark" non-illuminated
MOA or MRAD reticle. I think that would be a great seller for NF.

I for one am pretty excited about this scope. 56mm doesn't discourage me in the least. I'm sure it will fill the bill for the hunters that are hung up on the old adage about 56mm being so much better in low light.

To the guys citing the mounting hight issue of the 56mm objective - We're only talking about giving up 3mm of mounting clearance here…I think that's about 1/10th of an inch or so? As has been mentioned, there are going to be very few scenarios where it's going to make any difference whatsoever. That being said, I gotta say the weight is very reasonable (28 oz for illuminated) for a scope with a 30mm tube and 56mm objective. Usually the weight is what turns me off of bigger objectives, but I can't complain about that here.

Agreed, it might not look very tacti-cool on an AR15 (big scope on an AR screams varmint rifle, not stone-cold sniper), but I don't think the tactical AR15 crowd is who they're marketing the SHV to. That said, I'm an AR freak and I think it will work very well on a varminting or predator hunting AR…it's just not going to look all extra high-speed-low-drag as a 2.5-10x32 NXS. :cool:

I actually have a 2.5-10x32 NXS on one of my AR's and I really dig it…coyotes, not so much. The SHV may be what goes on a new compact varminting build I'm putting together…IHR reticle all the way.

Last edited:
I'm excited by this offering. Anyone know what the weight of a non illuminated version would be ? Couldn't find it in the specs on their website. I have a sporter weight 7stw that I'd like more magnification on but want to keep weight down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The SHV is Made in Japan by the same optic vendor that we have been partnered with for the past 20 years. It is a very quality piece at an economical price point for a Nightforce product.

Below is a pic of what the adjustments look like under the cap. They are a finger adjustable zeroing type that offers 10moa per revolution and it lifts to expose the scale.
only thing I don't like is the non-exposed Adj. Why go the capped route . Is it really that much more expense for exposed style ....maybe me ? but I just Hate scope caps !

I'm excited by this offering. Anyone know what the weight of a non illuminated version would be ? Couldn't find it in the specs on their website. I have a sporter weight 7stw that I'd like more magnification on but want to keep weight down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7STW - Looks like 26.9oz: Nightforce SHV Shooter Hunter Varminter

Jason

Last edited:
only thing I don't like is the non-exposed Adj. Why go the capped route . Is it really that much more expense for exposed style ....maybe me ? but I just Hate scope caps !

Twisted
- take the caps off and throw them away - Voila, exposed turrets ;)

For an scabbard use caps are valuable. or for guys that want to use the MOAR reticle for holdover. I personally love the idea of the scope and think they will sell very well. Going to put one on a light hunting rifle myself!

Jason

Twisted
- take the caps off and throw them away - Voila, exposed turrets ;)

For an scabbard use caps are valuable. or for guys that want to use the MOAR reticle for holdover. I personally love the idea of the scope and think they will sell very well. Going to put one on a light hunting rifle myself!

Jason
. Scope caps are like bras , they cover up those sexy Nips !