• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New "old" guy needs a coach for a day in So. Calif.

• Thread starter Deleted member 137765
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 137765

I've taken the long range shooting course at Front Sight in Nevada. I've tried to learn how to use a turret at shooting ranges but the noise is not helpful. So now I am looking for someone proficient using these tactical scopes to go somewhere quiet (desert) and teach me how to dope my scope for 300-600 yards. Put decent glass on two rifles but struggling to use them. Hoping to find somebody with some free time (maybe retired ex-military) to help me dial in my rifles and develop some confidence in my shooting at longer ranges. Going from one focal plane & a BDC reticle to two planes, a turret and MOAR reticle (and getting my head to think in something other than inches) has been a challenge. I've taken Appleseed and all that...it's just getting familiar with these two new scopes that I need help with...someplace where I can actually hear.

As I understand it, my .300WM & .308 can shoot past 600 yards effectively but the "influences" of LR shooting inside of 600 yards are considerably less. If I can hit paper & steel at 600 yards then I would feel more comfortable shooting game at up to 300-400 yards. That's my goal. Anyone wanna be my coach? I have the shooting table and everything else.

Dumped the EOTech w/ Magnifier...

...for the Trijicon 1X8 AccuPower.

Dumped the 3X9 Nikon on the .300WM...

for a NightForce 4-14X56...huge difference!

I'm in South Orange County, CA and willing to drive, buy lunch, etc if anyone wants to burn some rounds with me sometime. Once zeroed at 200 yards and able to hit paper at 300 & 400 I can practice solo effectively. I know to you guys this is a chip shot but for me (and my eyes) it's a stretch. Any takers? I am a bow hunter who switched from compound bows to recurves this year so that tells ya something about me.

Last edited by a moderator:
C5 showed me the practical application side of the LR shooting equation this morning. I had a basic understanding of the task from classroom training at Front Sight but having someone actually show me how to use the parallax, determine my ammo's actual fps and use the ballistics app it all came together. I thought you could rely on the markings on the parallax knob and the fps on the ammo box. Doh!
Within 90 minutes I ringing steel at 600 yards and before we finished up put 3 of 6 rounds on steel at 1000 yards (first 3 shots just missed...wind drift I wasn't offsetting. Best of all I was able to do most of this just using the reticle. So happy!! A BIG THANK YOU TO C5 & snipershide for the assist.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's awesome that you guys could get together.

Right? Then the kid (he's a few decades younger than I) sends me my ballistics charts via email which is now printed and laminated and ready to tape to the stocks of my rifles. When I stop to think about the time and money I spend joining and traveling to Front Sight versus benefits from a complete stranger off a message board post...it blows my mind. I almost laughed out loud when this young man told me he's have me ringing steel at 1000 yards. Then we jumped from 100 to 200 yards and once the rifle was zeroed, straight from 200 to 600 yards. All good at 600 so then jumped to 1000. It was all so easy. Today I wonder if I dreamed it...it seems so improbable. Then I look at my laminated ballistic charts from 100-1000 yards in 25 yard increments and know it's real. I can't stop smiling. Had to go see John Wick today just cuz. LOL

I finally understand the addiction of LR shooting. Now I wanna try for 1500 but finding a range will take longer than creating one in the desert.

Yup...I agree 1000%. I truly feel blessed. Shooters tend to talk (and post) in terminology most of us noobs can't follow. C5 did just the opposite. What others made seem so difficult he made easy. Then to see (and hear) it working behind the bench was thrilling. My Rem R25 was hitting tight at 800 yards (didn't really try to stretch it to 1000 yards cuz it's a .308) and I never imagined shooting an AR style rifle that far accurately.

In February I got a couple of recurves for my birthday...a Blacktail Legacy and a Hoyt Satori. Started out shooting the Satori w/ 35lb limbs to develop my form, the next month began shooting the BT w/ 45lb limbs. Love the bow so I shot it for six weeks before stepping up to 55lb limbs on the Hoyt. Had not shot a bow in like ten days until today and promptly shot this 25 yard group..

Feeling pretty good about myself I decided to step up to the 65lb limbs. Struggled to string it and then shot this healthy serving of humble pie.

Shooting 65lbs limbs is a whole different animal. Wore me out quickly too. But this is what I need if I'm gonna hunt Kaibab elk this season. Talk about peaks & valleys eh? Yeesh! So for this next hunt (Memorial weekend) I am doing the unthinkable and chasing razorbacks with the .300 instead of a bow. That's a major 180 for a dedicated bow hunter, believe me. But my experience with C5 was so inspiring I just apply the skill set I learned and hey...who doesn't like bacon? :)

You wanna hit 1500?

Me and one of my buddies jam to a spot north of Boron/Edwards AFB area. From our main firing point we mainly go out to 800-1200, but have gone as far as 1685.

Glad I could be of service! SoCal range day would be dope. Got a 6.5 PRC I'd be interested in stretching the legs on it.

Isn't it now illegal to conduct target shooting out there?

Not that I've been able to find. I regularly look at the BLM website for target shooting areas and fire danger updates. Ive even called the local ranger station a couple times over the last 6-8 months.