• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New PA Glx 3-18

B Man

Little Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2010
South side of Big River
What is the glass in the Glx scope comparable to? Never owned one, almost bought the 2.5-10 a few times for an Ar. Or will these new 3-18 & 4.5-27 optics have different glass and brighter Illuminated reticle? Any hands on testing by anyone pre release?

For what it is locking turrets and reviewing the Glx line I might would buy a few of these for certain rifles.

99C8D7DB-111C-46A3-9251-9A1B477E7712.jpeg

Reactions: Glassaholic
As an adherent to the gospel of “you get what you pay for”, it pains me to admit that I’m interested.

Want a 4-16 atacr. But this is probably pretty high on the diminishing returns curve?

I am very interested in their new GLx 4.5-27x56 with the Athena BPR MIL reticle. For $899 looks like a killer deal! It might even be an EP5 killer, but for twice the price, it should be.

I am very interested in their new GLx 4.5-27x56 with the Athena BPR MIL reticle. For $899 looks like a killer deal! It might even be an EP5 killer, but for twice the price, it should be.
Add on top they throw 10-12% off site wide sales often. I’m just not sure if they changed anything optical or mechanical from the previous Glx. I haven’t even looked through a Glx but reviews rate them high for cost. Hoping some experienced hands post on here.

Add on top they throw 10-12% off site wide sales often. I’m just not sure if they changed anything optical or mechanical from the previous Glx. I haven’t even looked through a Glx but reviews rate them high for cost. Hoping some experienced hands post on here.
I know my (new upgraded model) SLx 1-10x28 SFP 34mm LPVO with the ACSS Griffin M10S MIL reticle is phenomenal for the $450 price tag. I was so impressed I bought a 2nd one. It's still in the box, but I'll find something to put it on eventually. I just wanted to buy it while I still had $100 in bonus bucks, and was able to simultaneously use the 12% off Christmas discount. So I got the SLx ($450), a folding throw lever ($50), and a set of 34mm Seekins Precision rings ($150) for like $500. 😂

Last edited:
I know my (new upgraded model) SLx 1-10x28 SFP 34mm LPVO with the ACSS Griffin M10S MIL reticle is phenomenal for the $450 price tag. I was so impressed I bought a 2nd one. It's still in the box, but I'll find something to put it on eventually. I just wanted to buy it while I still had $100 in bonus bucks, and was able to simultaneously use the 12% off Christmas discount. So I got the SLx, a folding throw lever ($50), and a set of 34mm Seekins Precision rings ($150) for like $395. 😂
You’re the second person today to give that scope a very positive review. Someone on another forum said it had much better glass than their vortex strike eagle lpvo. Considering similar price and more zooms on the Slx that’s pretty nice to hear.

Reactions: FuhQ
You’re the second person today to give that scope a very positive review. Someone on another forum said it had much better glass than their vortex strike eagle lpvo. Considering similar price and more zooms on the Slx that’s pretty nice to hear.
I also have had a Gen2 Strike Eagle 1-8x24 for several years and spent massive amounts of time behind it. And while it is a nice lightweight and reliable LPVO for the $300 I paid for it with a CM-202 mount (package deal on huge discount), for a tactical standpoint, that SLx ranks well above the Strike Eagle in all respects...Glass, reticle, tube diameter, strength, turrets, etc...

I pulled the SE off my 16" .300 BLK rifle, and put on an old SWFA 3-15x42 MQ on it, and put the SE on my Marlin 1894 SS .44 Mag, which is where it will be staying forever. It's a perfect fit, and works great on a close-range gun/cartridge like that.

Here's the SLx on my custom Ruger American Ranch 16" .300 BLK...

490A9EBB-041A-42C5-A13D-4BEE3266E40D.jpeg

Here's the Strike Eagle on my Marlin 1894 SS .44 Mag...

C8A2980A-2689-49B3-97D1-0183490083DF.jpeg

The new GLx 3-18s and 4.5-27s do have improved ED glass as well as a more forgiving eye box as well. And like our other optics, do carry a lifetime warranty.
Knowing they have ED glass, I will probably be getting a GLx 4.5-27x56 Athena BPR MIL now. Thanks for the information. 👍🏼

Are they in stock? If not, got an ETA?

We have the pre-order for them up right now, looking at end of April for ETA

GLx 4.5-27's
Any chance the production release will have larger numbers on those turrets, numbers look really tiny in the pics above. Also, as a person who dials elevation and holds wind, I would have liked to have seen some reference full mil numbers on the main horizontal stadia hash marks for reference (with the ACSS ATHENA BPR MIL reticle). Other than that, looking forward to these...

Last edited:
The new GLx 3-18s and 4.5-27s do have improved ED glass as well as a more forgiving eye box as well. And like our other optics, do carry a lifetime warranty.
Out of curiosity, "more forgiving eyebox" than what? Than your previous generation 4x erector scopes? So GLx 3-18x44 is more forgiving than GLx 4-16x50 and GLx 4.5-27x56 is more forgiving than GLx 6-24x50?

@Primary Arms - looking all over your site and cannot find close focus distance, are you able to share those numbers with us for the 3-18 and 4.5-27?

Out of curiosity, "more forgiving eyebox" than what? Than your previous generation 4x erector scopes? So GLx 3-18x44 is more forgiving than GLx 4-16x50 and GLx 4.5-27x56 is more forgiving than GLx 6-24x50?
In regards to side to side, up/down.

Any chance the production release will have larger numbers on those turrets, numbers look really tiny in the pics above. Also, as a person who dials elevation and holds wind, I would have liked to have seen some reference full mil numbers on the main horizontal stadia hash marks for reference (with the ACSS ATHENA BPR MIL reticle). Other than that, looking forward to these...
I think the photo that is enlarged kinda blew out the resolution on that. Here is a better pic of what it looks like.

Attachments

• GLx 3-18_03.jpg
    GLx 3-18_03.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 340
Reactions: FuhQ
Here's the Strike Eagle on my Marlin 1894 SS .44 Mag...

View attachment 8083892

Had one of those for my first hunting rifle’s growing up. By far my favorite stalking rifle in Timberland. Nice rifle & set up!
This is great to know. Any plans on a 2-15 by chance? 😁. I feel like that’s a great gap missed by a lot getting around 50ft FOV on the low end and low 20oz range weight

I think the photo that is enlarged kinda blew out the resolution on that. Here is a better pic of what it looks like.
Just let oks like those numbers could have been twice the size with the space above, I’d old guys with presbyopia really benefit from larger numbers. 🤓

I have a GLx 3-18x44 that I have been messing with for a few weeks now. It is a significant step up from the previous generation GLx, although I liked the previous Gen too.

Close focus seems to be a bit under 25 yards on mine. It is quite easy to get behind.

FOV is respectable. It is not ultra-wide, but wider on the same magnification than the 2.5-10x44 GLx from the previous generation.

Eyepiece is not ginormous, so it is a pretty easy to mount on most guns. I am testing it on a rimfire for the moment. With more than 50mrad of elevation adjustment, it has subsonic ELR written all over it.

I have not pushed it too hard yet, but so far it is retaining optical performance pretty well even with a fair amount of elevation dialed in.

The scope is made in the Phillipines.

Barring something unforeseen, it should do well. It is a very well balanced design.

ILya

I have a GLx 3-18x44 that I have been messing with for a few weeks now. It is a significant step up from the previous generation GLx, although I liked the previous Gen too.

Close focus seems to be a bit under 25 yards on mine. It is quite easy to get behind.

FOV is respectable. It is not ultra-wide, but wider on the same magnification than the 2.5-10x44 GLx from the previous generation.

Eyepiece is not ginormous, so it is a pretty easy to mount on most guns. I am testing it on a rimfire for the moment. With more than 50mrad of elevation adjustment, it has subsonic ELR written all over it.

I have not pushed it too hard yet, but so far it is retaining optical performance pretty well even with a fair amount of elevation dialed in.

Barring something unforeseen, it should do well. It is a very well balanced design.

ILya
Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thank you for the brief overview. For the price these are definitely worth checking out.

Reactions: long range sponge

ILya
Thank you for taking the time to type that. Yes the 2.5-10 was lacking in FOV and one reason I haven’t jumped on it for a SPR ar rifle.

Didn’t you also run and test the Meopta Optika6 scopes pretty extensively? If so how do they compare? I have a 3-18 Optika6 and that would give me a good idea what it would be like.

Thanks

Designed by our engineers in house in Houston, Tx, and manufactured in the Philippines. Each optic is QC'd in house in Houston, Tx by our staff. No batch testing.
This is great to hear!!!

Thank you for taking the time to type that. Yes the 2.5-10 was lacking in FOV and one reason I haven’t jumped on it for a SPR ar rifle.

Didn’t you also run and test the Meopta Optika6 scopes pretty extensively? If so how do they compare? I have a 3-18 Optika6 and that would give me a good idea what it would be like.

Thanks

This is great to hear!!!
I do have a fair amount of hands on time with the Optika6 scopes, purely coincidentally...

At the moment I have four different 3-18x scopes on hand (PA GLx, Vortex Strike Eagle, Element Titan and Meopta Optika6) and I plan to look at them next to each other carefully.

ILya

I do have a fair amount of hands on time with the Optika6 scopes, purely coincidentally...

At the moment I have four different 3-18x scopes on hand (PA GLx, Vortex Strike Eagle, Element Titan and Meopta Optika6) and I plan to look at them next to each other carefully.

ILya
Look forward to your opinion

ILya
Also really looking forward to this. That new 3-18 PA GLx is very interesting for a 16 Inch AR SPR (ish) upper. Trying to decide between 2.5-10s, 3-18 (MK5), and some others. Always a compromise, no free lunch with the decision!

Was looking at the Glx 2.5-10x44 for an 18in SPR build, but this 3-18x44 is very promising. Definitely looking forward to ILya's take on this. Saw the Meopta optika 6 3-18x50 on europtic but they have less elevation and i think the Athena BPR reticle is better, but curious how the optical quality is. Not that i'd need 180 moa for a 6mm ARC anyway

ILya
Any chance you have one of the new GLx 4.5-27x56's? I'd love to hear your review of it. I've been extremely impressed with my 2 SLx 1-10x28 LPVO's and I could be wrong, but I think they're Chinese HD glass. Extremely clear glass and sharp reticle for a $450 optic. I do want to get one of those new updated GLx 4.5-27x56's to try out...

Reactions: PRSDietitian

ILya
Definitely in for that review. I own the Optika6 and IMO, it's fantastic with exceptional glass and a great reticle. Every time I get behind it is a wow moment. But it's a bit big. My Cronus BTR Gen 2 is a bit shorter and lighter but the Meopta is brighter and sharper overall. Going to a 44, if the optical quality is there, may make it a go for me.

Reactions: PRSDietitian
Any chance you have one of the new GLx 4.5-27x56's? I'd love to hear your review of it. I've been extremely impressed with my 2 SLx 1-10x28 LPVO's and I could be wrong, but I think they're Chinese HD glass. Extremely clear glass and sharp reticle for a $450 optic. I do want to get one of those new updated GLx 4.5-27x56's to try out...
I do not have the 4.5-27x56.

ILya

I do not have the 4.5-27x56.

ILya
Looking forward to the 3-18 glx review. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on it to supplement my 2.5-10 glx that I'm pretty happy with. They seem to be in the value range I tend to land in.

@koshkin
I’m most interested in seeing it compared to the EP5’s glass quality.

I like this scope overall, but I just wish PA would stop with the center chevron in precision reticles. There is no good reason for it.
I have one of these on order, but I agree. Floating dot with a simpler reticle than the athena bpr would be really nice. Something like the EBR-7C.

I like this scope overall, but I just wish PA would stop with the center chevron in precision reticles. There is no good reason for it.

Well, shit. For some reason I assumed the Athena whatever had a floating dot and not a chevron. It’s one reason I moved on from a 2.5-10 I had. Oh well, I’m still excited to check it out.

I don't really understand all the chevron hate. They are riding with a design that got them on the map. If you don't like it I totally understand, but I am guessing they are doing good sales. I understand why you would want a floating dot, and I would like that too, but i'm not crapping on what got them to this point either.