• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New press announcement from Area 419

I think this perspective is a very strong one. We are in a time with shooting and reloading where guys are pushing every possible button to eek out the last bit of advantage. Die-makers have been pushing on perfect-tolerance dies for years. Rifle builders indicate in chambers to near-zero axial runout. Then we head into the reloading room, grab our $1.25/piece brass, anneal it to the degree, trim it to the thousanth, seat primers to the thousanth, load with a charge that's measured to the kernel, and put it in a press that has 6-8 thousanths (at best) of play in the extended position of the ram, on those $400/set dies that we remove and re-install regularly, and hope it all lines up at that last moment.

Can you make accurate ammo without it? Yeah, for sure. But are you leaving something on the table in the process? That's for you to wonder.

I don’t disagree with that at all, but how do we know our press is the limiting factor? We buy mis matched brands of reloading equipment and use them all in conjunction with each other and assume a tighter tolerance press is going to fix issues going on with our mis matched equipment? Obviously we wouldn’t assume that, everyone knows a true ZERO tolerance press wouldn’t even fix issues with mismatched reloading equipment.

So one thing you’ve done is made a tighter tolerance shell case holder. That will help things but what about dies? A common gold standard for dies is Redding Type-S dies. Certainly not the most expensive but better than $35 Lee dies, Redding is a great value in dies. Guys are capable of loading ammo with SD’s in the single digits, an SD of 4-8 isn’t absurd to achieve with a press 1/5 of the cost and Redding dies. Taking the reloaders experience out of the equation, what could we expect out of your press? I know you can’t answer that with an SD answer but realistically as long as proper procedure is carried out, are we gonna half our SD’s? Are we gonna have to buy dies 3x the price of Redding dies to cut our SD’s further in half?

I guess to me, as a consumer, I need a reason to spend 5x the cost on your press to justify the purchase. If I’m already achieving SD’s consistently around 6 or so, is it worth it to me to spend $1200 on a press to get that to 4? To some people it is, to some people it’s not. I just urge you guys to help justify it to us shooters that the product is worth it. Because a lot of us are impulse buyers and buy the shiniest new product but often times need justification as to why it’s going to make me a better shooter and more competitive.

I don’t disagree with that at all, but how do we know our press is the limiting factor? We buy mis matched brands of reloading equipment and use them all in conjunction with each other and assume a tighter tolerance press is going to fix issues going on with our mis matched equipment? Obviously we wouldn’t assume that, everyone knows a true ZERO tolerance press wouldn’t even fix issues with mismatched reloading equipment.

So one thing you’ve done is made a tighter tolerance shell case holder. That will help things but what about dies? A common gold standard for dies is Redding Type-S dies. Certainly not the most expensive but better than $35 Lee dies, Redding is a great value in dies. Guys are capable of loading ammo with SD’s in the single digits, an SD of 4-8 isn’t absurd to achieve with a press 1/5 of the cost and Redding dies. Taking the reloaders experience out of the equation, what could we expect out of your press? I know you can’t answer that with an SD answer but realistically as long as proper procedure is carried out, are we gonna half our SD’s? Are we gonna have to buy dies 3x the price of Redding dies to cut our SD’s further in half?

I guess to me, as a consumer, I need a reason to spend 5x the cost on your press to justify the purchase. If I’m already achieving SD’s consistently around 6 or so, is it worth it to me to spend $1200 on a press to get that to 4? To some people it is, to some people it’s not. I just urge you guys to help justify it to us shooters that the product is worth it. Because a lot of us are impulse buyers and buy the shiniest new product but often times need justification as to why it’s going to make me a better shooter and more competitive.

Here’s another viewpoint.

I pull the handle on my co-ax 5-10,000 times a year. So, even if the results downrange are the same as my co-ax, but the running of the press “glides” and makes it that much more comfortable or effortless, it’s easily worth a one time fee of $900 (the difference in price).

Going from a hand primer to a CPS was worth the cost just in comfort.

We pay $700 for a barrel we will shoot 2000 times before it’s worn out. $1200 for a lifetime press we will use ~250,000 times or more isn’t that bad.

I pull the handle on my co-ax 5-10,000 times a year. So, even if the results downrange are the same as my co-ax, but the running of the press “glides” and makes it that much more comfortable or effortless, it’s easily worth a one time fee of $900 (the difference in price).

We pay $700 for a barrel we will shoot 2000 times before it’s worn out. $1200 for a lifetime press we will use ~250,000 times or more isn’t that bad.
Here’s another view point.

That $900 saved could be put towards a good supply of bullets/brass or a shooting/reloading class, which arguably would make a guy a better shooter and be of more value.

Reactions: magtech

I agree though, in the long run it’s not a lot of money, but two points to be made, is it worth the EXTRA money, that’s what I’m getting at. And, let’s be honest, it won’t be a lifetime press. It’ll be a temporary press until something new and shiny comes out, a lot of the shooting community buys on an impulse and the next best thing might already be around by SHOT show next year.

Here’s another view point.

That $900 saved could be put towards a good supply of bullets/brass or a shooting/reloading class, which arguably would make a guy a better shooter and be of more value.

If a person is in a position where they have to pick between a $1200 press and your scenario, they have already fucked up by not getting the trigger time/training before thinking about a $1200 press.

If a person is in a position where they have to pick between a $1200 press and your scenario, they have already fucked up by not getting the trigger time/training before thinking about a $1200 press.

Maybe so but bullets/brass are a means of practice/competing so the thought it still there.

I sound like I’m bashing this press, I’m not, but as a consumer I’d like some pursuation as to why I should be spending $900 more on a press to justify the cost. I have no problem paying the $1200 if it’s easily worth the cost. But with the info I’m given so far, I haven’t been pursuaded.

Reactions: Cote0321
Maybe so but bullets/brass are a means of practice/competing so the thought it still there.

I sound like I’m bashing this press, I’m not, but as a consumer I’d like some pursuation as to why I should be spending $900 more on a press to justify the cost. I have no problem paying the $1200 if it’s easily worth the cost. But with the info I’m given so far, I haven’t been pursuaded.
Thats the thing, you (and I) arent their target market. Youre trying to justify it. This is for people that dont need to justify shit and have bougie money to play with and zero repercussions to use it for a better purpose.
That stuff youre trying to buy wit the money instead; they already have all that.

Thats the thing, you (and I) arent their target market. Youre trying to justify it. This is for people that dont need to justify shit and have bougie money to play with and zero repercussions to use it for a better purpose.
That stuff youre trying to buy wit the money instead; they already have all that.

This x1000

The market isn’t people who need to choose between a press and other more important things.

It’s probably also not for the guy who loads 500 rounds a year.

Or they don't and they're spending money as an excuse not to spend the time to practice. It's fun watching dudes with $10K race guns getting wrecked by some kid with a bone stock factory gun that doesn't shoot super good but is fast on his feet. And thus an F-Open shooter is born.

Reactions: Van Mol
With all of the quality gear already available to us, it looks like a high $$$ solution looking for a problem. But, I suppose there is always someone out there in quest of the biggest, newest, and the best. Happy spending.

Or they don't and they're spending money as an excuse not to spend the time to practice. It's fun watching dudes with $10K race guns getting wrecked by some kid with a bone stock factory gun that doesn't shoot super good but is fast on his feet. And thus an F-Open shooter is born.
Yeah but... they have the money and arent fretting over it.

Don’t think it’s for me but it’s interesting. If the press has practically zero runout, and the shell holder does as well we are back to the die being the determining factor right?

so it does the same thing as an arbor press?

We basically touched on this point in the release, but I think we will have your question/concern here addressed in spades by the end of the year.

I'm not here to force you to buy anything. We are building the smoothest, most precise, most consistent reloading press on the market. If you'd like one, they'll be available. If it's not for you, that's cool too.

Don’t think it’s for me but it’s interesting. If the press has practically zero runout, and the shell holder does as well we are back to the die being the determining factor right?

so it does the same thing as an arbor press?

This is why you'll see shellholders for this press, as well as some cool stuff with dies, later this year. If you've followed us for any real amount of time, you know we aren't going to stop pushing this envelope any time soon.

Just assumed since Area 419 was heavily in the PRS market, that was the targeted audience. Guess not

Some people will never understand the value of having a tool that feels (for lack of a better word) better. They make the same argument with hand tools from harbor freight vs snap on. They’re the “just good enough” people (nothing wrong with that I’m in that category too). I see the value in this piece of art. It’s for someone who is looking for the upmost performance. Call me a fan boy, I love everything area 419 does. I just wish I could afford all of the stuff they make.

Some people will never understand the value of having a tool that feels (for lack of a better word) better. They make the same argument with hand tools from harbor freight vs snap on. They’re the “just good enough” people (nothing wrong with that I’m in that category too). I see the value in this piece of art. It’s for someone who is looking for the upmost performance. Call me a fan boy, I love everything area 419 does. I just wish I could afford all of the stuff they make.

Agreed. If you’re just going to use it one time, sure, get the tongue and groove pliers from Harbor Freight. If you’re gonna use them every day, you better go get channel locks.

Reactions: lash
Just assumed since Area 419 was heavily in the PRS market, that was the targeted audience. Guess not

Do what?

$1200 amp
$3500 optics
$4000 rifles
$700 barrels
.30-.40cent per Berger bullet

That’s what a ton of PRS market is (not all, but many). Most people running these can afford to get these things AND training/trigger time (if they so choose).

So, yes, the PRS crowd is part of the market. Maybe you’re not in that part of it. But that doesn’t mean because you’re not that others in PRS aren’t.

Ive never been to a PRS match without a large bunch of $60k ford raptors in the parking lot hauling $10k 4 wheelers to carry a $6k rifle from stage to stage and wearing $300 dollar old navy lookalike cargo pants.
The PRS market is a bougie market.
Go to a paper shooting match, its a bunch of 1998 gmc sierras with a camper shell and a wagon.

Ive never been to a PRS match without a large bunch of $60k ford raptors in the parking lot hauling $10k 4 wheelers to carry a $6k rifle from stage to stage and wearing $300 dollar old navy lookalike cargo pants.
Go to a paper shooting match, its a bunch of 1998 gmc sierras with a camper shell and a wagon.

LOL this is the truth.

i think reloading is the most over thought thing on the planet...if we put this much thought into the covid shit wed have a vaccine LOL!

i was one of the guys for YEARS that owned EVERY accuracy gadget made...Concentricity gauges..bullet compairitors..meplat trimmers..pointing dies..hydro press..neck turning tools..weigh and sort everything and every other thing you can think of...NONE OF IT MADE ME A BETTER SHOOTER!!
i chased my tail for years playing with all those gadgets thinking thats what i needed to shoot better when in fact it was just MORE TRIGGER time and focusing more on the stuff I was doing wrong and correcting it...the best thing i ever did was get rid of all the gadgets.
89302928-C280-43AC-B87C-12E4E676F19D.jpeg

Fine tools make life easier.
I bought a 419 powder funnel for Christmas.
It was stupid expensive compared to the popular green plastic one.
The 419 is perfectly weighted, almost never bridges, no static and fits necks perfectly.
It really is a fine tool that make that task nicer.

Don’t forget me in my beater Toyota wearing a tattered t shirt, DTP or Carhartt bibs and beat up old Danner work boots up in the forests and hills.

Nice! I want one.. With bearings? That must run much smoother..

Well said.

Another point that I haven't seen made. Does no one actually enjoy the reloading process? I have fun reloading. Its like a math equation....for any other weird guys out there who enjoy "solving problems" that have answers. I enjoy reloading as a process...but I get just as excited looking at what my Dillon 550 has become. I've made it work exactly to my specs as I desire. It is MY MACHINE...and I can create ammo with it.

I view some of these machines as pieces of art...much like I view some of my rifles as pieces of art...capable of amazing things. Maybe I'm just the optimistic type but some you are awfully somber and pissed off over this lol.

If your ONLY end goal is to create good ammo then I suppose you wouldn't see the point of a press like this. But to me... its a damn fine peice of art, that once you own, you get to operate like the amazing machine it is. Its like owning a '69 Mustang Boss 429....that bitch is SWEET.

I'm proud of my reloading presses, and I'm proud of the ammo I make. It satisfies a desire in my brain creating the ammo, as much as it satisfies a desire in my brain when I shoot that ammo, and succeed at the accuracy goals I have. I think that is often overlooked, the journey of reloading. And the press is all part of that, and a press like this is pretty damn cool.

That all being said, I don't think I'll ever purchase it, my goal in reloading tends to be more utilitarian, but I can at least admire the press for what it is. Idk...just my $0.02 lol. Where's my pessimistic haters at?

Fine tools make life easier.
I bought a 419 powder funnel for Christmas.
It was stupid expensive compared to the popular green plastic one.
The 419 is perfectly weighted, almost never bridges, no static and fits necks perfectly.
It really is a fine tool that make that task nicer.

Crazy how something so small can seem to have such a drastic impact on a task we thought to be so minor

Well said.

Another point that I haven't seen made. Does no one actually enjoy the reloading process? I have fun reloading. Its like a math equation....for any other weird guys out there who enjoy "solving problems" that have answers. I enjoy reloading as a process...but I get just as excited looking at what my Dillon 550 has become. I've made it work exactly to my specs as I desire. It is MY MACHINE...and I can create ammo with it.

I view some of these machines as pieces of art...much like I view some of my rifles as pieces of art...capable of amazing things. Maybe I'm just the optimistic type but some you are awfully somber and pissed off over this lol.

If your ONLY end goal is to create good ammo then I suppose you wouldn't see the point of a press like this. But to me... its a damn fine peice of art, that once you own, you get to operate like the amazing machine it is. Its like owning a '69 Mustang Boss 429....that bitch is SWEET.

I'm proud of my reloading presses, and I'm proud of the ammo I make. It satisfies a desire in my brain creating the ammo, as much as it satisfies a desire in my brain when I shoot that ammo, and succeed at the accuracy goals I have. I think that is often overlooked, the journey of reloading. And the press is all part of that, and a press like this is pretty damn cool.

That all being said, I don't think I'll ever purchase it, my goal in reloading tends to be more utilitarian, but I can at least admire the press for what it is. Idk...just my $0.02 lol. Where's my pessimistic haters at?
To me reloading is mostly a chore.
I do it for the results, not because I love the process.
Having decent equipment makes that chore less tedious.

There are "shooters", and then there are "reloaders who shoot". Usually when someone is good at one, they often are not as good at the other (generally speaking).

Well said.

i DO NOT like reloading...i do it because its a necessary evil...ive done EVERYTHING i can think of to cut my time at the reloading bench.

There are "shooters", and then there are "reloaders who shoot". Usually when someone is good at one, they often are not as good at the other (generally speaking).

I feel like to be a great shooter, who reloads, you need be good at reloading lol

Reactions: spife7980
I guess I am the odd man out haha. Well shit.

I use to love reloading..tweaking loads..load development ect...but it started turning into a part time job...to the point I didn’t want to shoot because loading/brass prep was a PITA.

now I want it short and to the point...I do not want to spend hours at the bench loading ammo or preping brass...and you don’t have to to build accurate ammo.

I use to love reloading..tweaking loads..load development ect...but it started turning into a part time job...to the point I didn’t want to shoot because loading/brass prep was a PITA.

now I want it short and to the point...I do not want to spend hours at the bench loading ammo or preping brass...and you don’t have to to build accurate ammo.

That’s a good point. We all evolve as we age, and things we once enjoyed we no longer do, and vice versa.

I don’t doubt at some point in my future I’ll be annoyed by having to reload. And to be clear there are, and always have been parts of reloading I don’t like.... like currently working my way through reaming out primer crimps on 3000 LC cases lol. Even with a good setup that just sucks

anyways .... back to either hating or loving this new Area419 Press....

That’s a good point. We all evolve as we age, and things we once enjoyed we no longer do, and vice versa.

I don’t doubt at some point in my future I’ll be annoyed by having to reload. And to be clear there are, and always have been parts of reloading I don’t like.... like currently working my way through reaming out primer crimps on 3000 LC cases lol. Even with a good setup that just sucks

A Dillon super swager is your friend. Can blow through 1k of crimped pockets in an hour or so.

Best $100 I ever spent for prepping LC brass.

love the press and money is not an issue but if it don’t shave some time at the bench...well not for me.

A Dillon super swager is your friend. Can blow through 1k of crimped pockets in an hour or so.

Best $100 I ever spent for prepping LC brass.

I used a little oval rounded multi cutter drill bit. Honestly I don’t exactly know what you would call it. Found it at a big swap meet and started using it. Works great. Doesn’t bind at all with the multiple cutting edges.

Attachments

• 8F9B271C-AFF1-43D3-979A-ADBB41613E4E.jpeg
    8F9B271C-AFF1-43D3-979A-ADBB41613E4E.jpeg
    306.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 54F84185-8A94-4E3B-8175-D92AA6E74C93.jpeg
    54F84185-8A94-4E3B-8175-D92AA6E74C93.jpeg
    329.3 KB · Views: 133
I'd imagine that burr would work, but the Dillon swager is probably a lot faster and consistent (assuming the LC brass is the same year head stamp).

<shrug> horses for courses...

Reactions: Gustav7
The press looks bad ass. I wish the turret rotated like my T7. Got real excited until I saw that it didnt. My question is, if people are able to get 1-5 fps SDs and groups on the .1s-.2s, how much more precision can we squeak out of our ammo to feel the need for a $1200 press? I'm honestly asking bc I dont see the rate of return as of now. I mean, the bitch looks Gucci af. I just feel like, if you have your reloading practices dialed, use good components, and find your load, you can achieve stupid accuracy and consistency. Where do the tolerance improvements come into play? I fully believe this will be the most precisely built press on the market. I just want to be able to quantify the improvements. Guys have set ridiculous records on coax presses, T7s, and even rock chuckers. The 1.3" group at 1k wouldve been 1" with the tolerances of this press? I'm not knocking on anyone that buys it. It is a well thought out design and is definitely reloading room eye candy. I bet it's an absolute pleasure to load on.

To add to my post after reading most of the previous posts. I'm less worried about how much it costs than I am trying to understand how much accuracy it can improve upon with such awesome tolerances compared to what we are already able to achieve with what is currently available. I've spent $1200 on dumber shit than a cool press. But how do the performance enhancements come into play down range?

I've never bought an Area 419 product that wasn't worth it (maybe sometimes in a luxury, diminishing returns kind of way). They make really nice products. And as an owner of a Prazipress, I definitely think the joy of handling finely made machines is the biggest selling point here. As far as tighter tolerances and accuracy, I'm not quite as sold. The long range benchrest crowd, who are almost certainly the best hand loaders around (and I think @Dthomas3523 is one of them in spirit, based on his posts) have gotten all the way down to 0.1 MOA groups with "conventional" equipment. And for seating, the money seems to be on arbor presses with force gauges. It's hard to imagine a measurable accuracy increase especially for PRS type shooting from this.

I'd love to see a progressive press with a similar design ethos, on the other hand.

I've never bought an Area 419 product that wasn't worth it (maybe sometimes in a luxury, diminishing returns kind of way). They make really nice products. And as an owner of a Prazipress, I definitely think the joy of handling finely made machines is the biggest selling point here. As far as tighter tolerances and accuracy, I'm not quite as sold. The long range benchrest crowd, who are almost certainly the best hand loaders around (and I think @Dthomas3523 is one of them in spirit, based on his posts) have gotten all the way down to 0.1 MOA groups with "conventional" equipment. And for seating, the money seems to be on arbor presses with force gauges. It's hard to imagine a measurable accuracy increase especially for PRS type shooting from this.

I'd love to see a progressive press with a similar design ethos, on the other hand.

Loading for me is a 2nd hobby. I really don’t have the practical need to do what I do at loading bench. But I enjoy it.

The tolerances, I believe they will achieve. Now, can humans shoot the difference? Maybe not.

But, what I’m very interested is the end user experience. Pulling a leaver 5,000 times or more a year.......making that more comfortable is well worth the price.

Reactions: yakstone
Loading for me is a 2nd hobby. I really don’t have the practical need to do what I do at loading bench. But I enjoy it.

The tolerances, I believe they will achieve. Now, can humans shoot the difference? Maybe not.

But, what I’m very interested is the end user experience. Pulling a leaver 5,000 times or more a year.......making that more comfortable is well worth the price.
Right. If your commute is five miles, a Honda and a BMW are both going to get you there. But the experience may not be the same for the driver.

Reactions: Dthomas3523