• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Razor????

Great looking optic honestly. Parallax adjustment is going to sell a ton in that regard alone. I hope it gets a 3.5-21x50 little brother. Less I'm missing the trend to 35x/36x optics and the mid range magnification and FOV on the design is just absolutely leaps and bounds above the competing 5x erector designs, I'm just not sure when or where I'd use the rest of the mag range. Though it's never an issue to have it and not need it I suppose.

Ok I see we will be dying on the tooless knobs hill. LOL Ok guys you win. New scope sucks because it doesn't have tooless knobs. LOL

No, just asking simple questions about the value proposition, and are met with either misdirection or sarcastic beratement... look over there, look how pretty it is, or, you're a Cretan for not recognizing the awesomeness.

I do not care about tooless knobs, but someone asked, and it is a fact that the Tenmile has them. I care about IQ, FOV and price, and my comments and questions are only about trying to get a handle on that.

No, just asking simple questions about the value proposition, and are met with either misdirection or sarcastic beratement... look over there, look how pretty it is, or, you're a Cretan for not recognizing the awesomeness.

I do not care about tooless knobs, but someone asked, and it is a fact that the Tenmile has them. I care about IQ, FOV and price, and my comments and questions are only about trying to get a handle on that.

Lol not a Cretan at all but this scope comes out with a lot of great features many ask for and want and huge power range and it seems to boil down to tooless knobs. A feature used by some but rarely used by most. It’s got one screw and a simple design. Close but not tooless unfortunately for some.

Reactions: rancher5
Great looking optic honestly. Parallax adjustment is going to sell a ton in that regard alone. I hope it gets a 3.5-21x50 little brother. Less I'm missing the trend to 35x/36x optics and the mid range magnification and FOV on the design is just absolutely leaps and bounds above the competing 5x erector designs, I'm just not sure when or where I'd use the rest of the mag range. Though it's never an issue to have it and not need it I suppose.
The have it and not need it is nice but this scope is going to be a killer .22 scope with the parallax and elevation available and in that game having more power helps at times. It can help in centerfire too at times and good to have it and not need it than vise versa as you mentioned.

Reactions: Glassaholic

Another video
The have it and not need it is nice but this scope is going to be a killer .22 scope with the parallax and elevation available and in that game having more power helps at times. It can help in centerfire too at times and good to have it and not need it than vise versa as you mentioned.

Agreed, the 22lr game is going to eat it up. I haven't jumped into that yet. I'm not shooting like I used to, if I can ever get out of school I plan to start again regularly. I still feel like I'd prefer a 223 trainer to a 22lr simply for the similarities in dope and wind holds comparable to 6mm but I can certainly see how economical it is to run a 22lr. I want to get behind one either way, see what I'm missing, if it's offering tier 1 glass, which I suspect it will when you consider how long it's been since Vortex has fielded a flagship high power optic it's going to sell very very well.

Tooless is cool in theory but are you ever really in a situation where you’re zeroing but don’t have time to grab an Allen wrench from your pack? I would like to have it but imo definitely not a deal breaker.
Yes, frequently. More than once I've hit the range and don't have the tools with me that I thought I did. OR being at a match to discover zero is off a little bit. I LOVE this feature on my Leica scope and my Kahles (not tooless - but the tool is hidden in the illumination cap) Its just nice to be able to adjust turrets without needing tools/extra stuff. BUT this gen 3 definitely looks good. If I was in the market for something with this high of mag I would probably buy it. But I rarely go into the 20x range so I'll just stick with the typical 5-25 stuff.

Reactions: GhostFace
Hmm I would hate .25 mils as every bit of data is in .1 mil and it would be more of a brain screw to have to think "oh those are .25. I hate that on the Arken too. Guess everyone has their favorites.

Your money and choice. Was just wondering.

Don't get me wrong, if I was short an optic or was new, it'd probably look at this closely. But I'm not in either of those categories.

I'm actually at the point of wanting 0.5s in the reticle vs 0.2s. Too easy to get lost on 0.2s on 75s and 90s stages. I was worried about 0.25mils in the reticle but it has turned out to be a very nice compromise.

Tooless is cool in theory but are you ever really in a situation where you’re zeroing but don’t have time to grab an Allen wrench from your pack? I would like to have it but imo definitely not a deal breaker.
Yes....
As others have said works great on switch barrel rifles or if you play musical scopes, which I do both of.

Not a deal breaker but is definitely a great feature.

Reactions: lead ƒarmer
Yes, frequently. More than once I've hit the range and don't have the tools with me that I thought I did. OR being at a match to discover zero is off a little bit. I LOVE this feature on my Leica scope and my Kahles (not tooless - but the tool is hidden in the illumination cap) Its just nice to be able to adjust turrets without needing tools/extra stuff. BUT this gen 3 definitely looks good. If I was in the market for something with this high of mag I would probably buy it. But I rarely go into the 20x range so I'll just stick with the typical 5-25 stuff.

You don’t have a set pack for the range? Separate set of tools for the range bag?

.25 mil reticle? You mean instead of the .2?

What sub $3000 scopes have tooless knobs?
Leica PRS

Maven RS.4

Delta Stryker, I think.

It's almost a standard LOW package by now. Not a big deal for me though. Cool feature, but if done wrong... Never forget the USO B-Series.

You don’t have a set pack for the range? Separate set of tools for the range bag?
I’m lucky enough to shoot on our farm. So I don’t have the typical “range bag” because my trips are often short, last minute decisions. If I had to drive to a range and spend the whole day I would definitely have a traditional range bag

:ROFLMAO: What's the point of having an MSRP if street price on day 1 is 25% off...

I think the point still applies with regard to glass - it's 2X the street price of the G2, which is also increasing by ~500? Thinking optimistically, I expect the glass is upgraded on both.

They use the msrp for prize table certs, mil/le, and any other discounts.

G2 price is increasing because of universal price increases on just about any material or component you can name in any industry.

I'd rather have the actual price be 25% LESS than MSRP, whereas trying to buy a new car right now you'll pay MORE than the sticker MSRP.

Looks like $2999 Street. The latest certs have been 30% off map vs 50% off MSRP.

1FC40AB4-6A6D-41FC-8B0A-3178A6021C34.jpg

Sorry if this has already been posted, I just don’t see people paying ZCO or Tangent money for a vortex.

• Haha
Reactions: Stoweit and Rob01
Euro optic is listing them in stock Retail $3999.99 Sale price $2999.99.

And I bet that the MSRP is what is used for the tax write off for these donations, etc.

I’m sure there’s many reasons.

It is interesting that everyone has seen much higher msrp than street price on the vortex site for like……ever.

But using the msrp on this one to dig at it.

The gen 2 was like $3500 msrp for quite a while. This isn’t something new.

Didn't see a mention of better glass, yet priced above ZCO. Have to believe they upgraded the glass for that price - why not tout it... to protect G2? Or perhaps they silently upgraded the glass in the G2 as well?
Vortex mentions in their video better glass than G2.

I find it interesting that they didn't revamp the 3-18, I 'd have thought they'd want to compete with the lower magnification ATACRs, S&Bs, and ZCO.

I guess they don't think there's much market for a 3-18 scope that weighs 3lbs.
Wonder if they have something else in mind to fill the niche.
My personal opinion but a 3lb 3-18 tactical style is not as desired vs. lighter versions, competition market doesn't care as much about weight. Can I hope for a 2.5-15x44 G3 or a 3.5-21x50 G3 that is around the 30 oz mark ;) I hope you're right that they do have something else planned to fill the niche.

Does this scope have Japanese ED glass like the Ep5?
If you are being serious, Vortex still lists the glass as "HD" but that really doesn't mean much, there are some very poor optics that advertise ED and some very excellent optics that advertise HD. What matters is how the glass actually performs in the field.

Reactions: Sagewind
This along with the ZCO 840 will be very popular on Rimfire. Just like the 7-35 atacr

Big magnification + close parallax on both = awesome.

I do personally wish vortex would offer a non tree, but tree reticles outsell them significantly, so I get it.

How many of yall actually use/would use a tooless knob? Im struggling to find a realistic use case, but maybe im missing out.
To be fair, the Tangent Theta has the best toolless design IMHO and it is convenient. Do all scopes need to be toolless, that would be nice but not necessary - I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it is more expensive to make a good toolless design, so any company looking to make the product more cost effective is probably going to toss that idea out pretty quick. That said, what I do like about the new L-TEC+ is the exposed infinite adjustment plate on top - for my switch barrel AI here's what I'm thinking, I can take a marker and identify the zero for each barrel (on both elev and wind plates), that way, when I swap a barrel I already have an indication of where it needs to be set.

This along with the ZCO 840 will be very popular on Rimfire. Just like the 7-35 atacr

Big magnification + close parallax on both = awesome.

I do personally wish vortex would offer a non tree, but tree reticles outsell them significantly, so I get it.
Agreed, huge market for rimfire competition crowd, that's really where I see the high magnification (30x+) optics shining as atmospherics and high magnification often do not play nicely with long range.

Seems to me, 6-36x56 was a specific response to the NF 7-35x56, but with much better FOV and shoot, the G3 FOV is better at 6x than even the ATACR 5-25 is at 5x.

I do not mind tree reticles if the tree is made up of dots, Vortex has done a good job with their designs of late so they don't obscure the view as much as solid horizontal line tree reticles like the SKMR and MPCT series have. I do wish Vortex would have made a half mil hash mark in the vertical stadia.

Not in the market for another high dollar scope at the moment; but, the turrets are definitely nice. However, much like my only real disappointment with my Gen III 1-10x, I'd like to know how good the glass is. The 1-10x gets significantly darker past 8x and the eye box completely shuts down for me at about that point too. I'll be curious to read the reviews...especially Bill's (should he be reviewing it).

In EO's video, they show what I experience on my 6-36 scope at the 8:40 mark. I would be curious why Vortex decided to go with a more subdued turret click sound, but I do agree, the turret is very well defined with very little play that settles in nicely to each .1 click value. I will try to get a preliminary review going compared to some other optics I have on hand, but if there is anything specific someone would like me to check out let me know.

Reactions: ma smith
Maybe I'm looking too deep into it, but I don't really understand the patent they had with four different toolless turrets not being on this scope. Maybe the toolless turrets will be offered in an upgraded version of the Gen3 once they are fully designed and tested. So unfortunately my prediction of the turret having one large set screw and not being toolless was correct.

Honestly...not sure how I'm feeling about it. I've been shooting a single Gen2 Razor since 2015 and have outgrown it in terms of optical clarity/resolution and ability to see through mirage. But the "infinite adjust" zero sub-turret is just something I've never liked, and I've used it enough to not be convinced otherwise. I was really hoping for a revolutionary turret design upgrade rather than evolutionary. I personally don't want to mess around with getting my zero to within 0.01", when with other scopes I could zero the damn thing with the turrets and just re-position the turret body to zero.

The street price is $1000 less than a ZCO 527, which is what I'd be cross-shopping it against. The ZCO is the exact same length, is 7oz lighter, and at 27x has the same FOV as the Gen2 Razor at 27x. I'm unsure how to compare the FOV at 36x to the ZCO or Gen2. Oh, and I don't care what anyone says, the ZCO is offered in BLACK goddammit!!!

I'll wait and see how the glass compares to the MK5 and ZCO before I make any decision on upgrading.

They use the msrp for prize table certs, mil/le, and any other discounts.

G2 price is increasing because of universal price increases on just about any material or component you can name in any industry.
Looks like 500 bucks? So 26-29% depending on where you were sourcing it from... That's way too steep.

Inflation adjustment is one thing, but on an 8 yr old scope they seem to be positioning as their scope option that will continue to compete against the Mk5HD, XRSIII, XTR3, Cronus BTR, etc so they can go up market with the new Gen3... they just increased their pricing above the street price of these scopes, and didn't make any changes... in facts its a much older design (admittedly with illumination which isn't a choice in 3 of these scopes - at least in the preferred reticles we all want).

I am just commenting from a consumer perspective - I dont work in manufacturing... Although I do deal with and model the effects inflation has on things as a tangential factor in my day job - so I am not totally ignorant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Basher
Looks like 500 bucks? So 26-29% depending on where you were sourcing it from... That's way too steep.

Inflation adjustment is one thing, but on an 8 yr old scope they seem to be positioning as their scope option that will continue to compete against the Mk5HD, XRSIII, XTR3, Cronus BTR, etc so they can go up market with the new Gen3... they just increased their pricing above the street price of these scopes, and didn't make any changes.

I am just commenting from a consumer perspective - I dont work in manufacturing... Although I do deal with and model the effects inflation has on things as a tangential factor in my day job - so I am not totally ignorant.

I suspect it has nothing to do with inflation and more to do with getting the prices close to upsell a handful of prospective buyers.

Reactions: LV Precision
I suspect it has nothing to do with inflation and more to do with getting the prices close to upsell a handful of prospective buyers.
Fair point - I see the MSRP on the SE changed, about 12.5%... I dont pay attention to the Viper line, did those MSRP's change?

Note:
MSRP isn't updated on the website for the G2, but it is on ExpertVoice - MSRP increase is 24%... from what I am seeing, street price changes seem like they are higher as a percentage (denominator is smaller).

No but the price of G2s are going up according to one vendor. Near the $2500 mark.
Yep, hence my post. But if its not inflation, but rather to try to push people to the Gen 3 - their other lineup probably wouldnt change... or at least not nearly as much.

If its production oriented cost effects - ie inflation - we should see an MSRP jump across the board.

There are other jumps but I don't think any of them are as much as the price of the G2. Most are in the 10% realm it seems.

The price is relative only to the competition - inflation is moot when it isn't a pure commodity. We'll soon see how it does compared to the 1.5-2K class (XTR3,XRS3,MK5), and to the 3.8-4.2K ZCO's.

The price is relative only to the competition - inflation is moot when it isn't a pure commodity. We'll soon see how it does compared to the 1.5-2K class (XTR3,XRS3,MK5), and to the 3.8-4.2K ZCO's.
Inflation was brought up in regards to the Gen 2, and its price increase. Its an 8 year old scope - pretty sure we have a good idea what its all about.

Inflation isn't moot, but thats another discussion not worth diving into.

Inflation adjustment is one thing, but on an 8 yr old scope they seem to be positioning as their scope option that will continue to compete against the Mk5HD, XRSIII, XTR3, Cronus BTR, etc so they can go up market with the new Gen3... they just increased their pricing above the street price of these scopes, and didn't make any changes... in facts its a much older design (admittedly with illumination which isn't a choice in 3 of these scopes - at least in the preferred reticles we all want).

This isn’t inflation. It’s cost. Pure and simple. Shipping and component costs/availability is absolute shit currently.

Here is a table of container freight prices. Under $2k to $10k

Attachments

• 010BDAC5-B5BD-496F-B06E-E352E7931C78.jpeg
    010BDAC5-B5BD-496F-B06E-E352E7931C78.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 88
IMO even at 8+ years old, for the same money, the HDG2 is still a better scope than the Mark5's, XTR3, and XRS3. And, if it were to fuck up for some reason and I had a match this weekend, chances are more than likely Vortex would make sure I had a working one on my rifle by then (with the others.... not nearly as good of a bet).

Personally, besides just wanting the latest shit... there honestly doesn't appear to be much reason for me (or maybe anyone else) to ditch our Gen2's just yet. It will have to look pretty damn amazing for me to trade probably the most proven scope design of its kind available, plus ~$1000 or so more money... for a brand new unproven design with slightly better glass.

Actually, if the glass is that much better (which hopefully it is), I kind of wish they'd just strip down the current Gen2, sort of a "Gen2.1":

Just give us the new fancy glass and tool-less zero and call it a day.

Skip the 36x (since most of us will still be shooting at 15-18x 99% of the time anyways), skip the illumination (since like most, I've only turned mine on to see if it still works now and then), cap the windage, and take away the lockable turrets (not needed).
Back to the drawing board Vortex. This guy says so.

And it’s happening everywhere in all markets.

Companies who prides themselves with either never raising prices or constantly lowering prices are raising prices for 2022.

It really is that bad currently with components.

Area419 just shut down their super trickler project due to this.

• Wow
Reactions: M77
This isn’t inflation. It’s cost. Pure and simple. Shipping and component costs/availability is absolute shit currently.

Here is a table of container freight prices. Under $2k to $10k
Decrease in the purchasing power of money is inflation - if a consumer used to be able to buy 1 Razor G2 for 1800, and can now only buy .72 of a G2 Razor for 1800 - that is inflation. The reason for the debasement of said purchasing power contains too many variables to discuss.

I am not ignorant to the increase in shipping costs. Well aware actually. And you make a fair point, that is a big inflationary pressure.

To your second post - That is not the point. Inflation is here (see above -and as you noted) - how that inflation effects consumers and at what price point that lands the G2 in (relative to the competition) is the important part as a consumer.

Decrease in the purchasing power of money is inflation - if a consumer used to be able to buy 1 Razor G2 for 1800, and can now only buy .72 of a G2 Razor for 1800 - that is inflation. The reason for the debasement of said purchasing power contains too many variables to discuss.

I am not ignorant to the increase in shipping costs. Well aware actually.

To your second post - That is not the point. Inflation is here (see above) - how that inflation effects consumers and at what price point that lands the G2 in is the important part as a consumer.

As you said, you don’t work in manufacturing or procure things.

We do. And it’s increasing across the board much more than you’re saying it should. So, your model is wrong or it’s not geared toward this industry. (Before you come back with “this is what I do”, remember, you were just telling people what should happen when you don’t have experience in that area).

Reactions: Tokay444
Inflation isn't moot, but thats another discussion not worth diving into.

It is when money is free (mmt)! :ROFLMAO: The reason I said moot (other than availability of equivalent choice) is because the scope is an unnecessary luxury. But I admit your peepee is as glorious as my own (no homo).

We do. And it’s increasing across the board much more than you’re saying it should. So, your model is wrong or it’s not geared toward this industry. (Before you come back with “this is what I do”, remember, you were just telling people what should happen when you don’t do it).
No, I wasnt. I was commenting as a consumer - and where it now lands the G2 in relation to its competition as an 8 yr old design. That is how I phrased the discussion from the get-go.

Tangentially utilizing this data for modeling purposes and working in economics might mean I actually have a broader and more direct understanding of the concepts than you do - doesn't mean I am "right", as that isnt even the discussion - but something to ponder as we can all bring value to the discussion.

Anyway - as I said in my first sentence. The discussion was framed in regards to the new "value" of the G2 to the consumer, in relation to its competition with its new pricing... which IMO now makes it much less competitive than yesterday.

It is when money is free (mmt)! :ROFLMAO: The reason I said moot (other than availability of equivalent choice) is because the scope is an unnecessary luxury. But I admit your peepee is as glorious as my own (no homo).
Point made. Inflationary effects obviously are still a factor - but point made and that is very true this is certainly a luxury item. Plus I agree with your other point, and its the one I was trying to make and re-stated above.

Reactions: Chickentoast

We do. And it’s increasing across the board much more than you’re saying it should. So, your model is wrong or it’s not geared toward this industry. (Before you come back with “this is what I do”, remember, you were just telling people what should happen when you don’t have experience in that area).

Wow.

ZCO is $800 more and you're going to need new rings (for most people) so there's another few hundred. I think Vortex have done their 'best bang for the buck' trick again with the Gen 3. Depending on how much you're going to sacrifice on glass with it compared to the Alphas aside from that and being a pig I think this has better features IMHO. 10m parallax free, 36x mag, super-fine tuned zeroing (in-between .1 mil) are really nice. It's shit brown, weighs a lot, doesn't have alpha glass (we think?) and is an as-yet unproven design are the downsides at this point