• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New reloader seeking bench.

goodgorilla

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2013
Lecanto, FL
Do you have the tools or ability to just build one from supplies at the hardware store?

Below would be the order of my personal choices. Not trying to be a cheap ass, but paying for a bench when it's easy to build one that's often better for cheaper appeals to me more.

1. 2x4's, plywood, and screws
2. Old kitchen cabinets and plywood or an old countertop screwed into the cabinets
3. Generic workshop benches
4. Specific reloading benches from a supplier

Do you have the tools or ability to just build one from supplies at the hardware store?

Below would be the order of my personal choices. Not trying to be a cheap ass, but paying for a bench when it's easy to build one that's often better for cheaper appeals to me more.

1. 2x4's, plywood, and screws
2. Old kitchen cabinets and plywood or an old countertop screwed into the cabinets
3. Generic workshop benches
4. Specific reloading benches from a supplier

I thought I did, but after asking around: I do not have the ability or tools to construct a bench. Unless all I have to do is drill. I have considered drilling 2/4's on top of some old kitchen cabinets, but I can't find any cheap cabinets.

Last edited:
You can make the base whatever you want, 2x4, 4x4, or cabinet bases from big box store. these are just examples. they can be had relatively cheap if you look around.

Shop Kitchen Classics 35-in H x 18-in W x 23-3/4-in D Denver Hickory Door and Drawer Base Cabinet at Lowes.com
Shop Kitchen Classics 35-in H x 18-in W x 23-3/4-in D Denver Hickory Drawer Base Cabinet at Lowes.com

best top is something like this Sears.com

just have an idea of what you want the end product to be. If you need a lot of storage, then make storage (more cabinets). if you just need counter space with some storage, plan it that way. There will be no prebuilt solution.

you can make your press/equipment removable by using threaded inserts in the counter top. your space will be more usable that way.
1/4-20 Steel Threaded Inserts, Threaded Inserts, Specialty Fasteners, Fasteners - McFeely's

Just make sure that you can vision/draw what you would like your space to look like. take your time & plan it out so that your space is efficient and able to be organized.

Hope some of this is usable to you

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

I thought I did, but after asking around: I do not have the ability or tools to construct a bench. Unless all I have to do is drill. I have considered drilling 2/4's on top of some old kitchen cabinets, but I can't find any cheap cabinets.

You might be able to get by with just a drill/screwdriver if you can find some decent cabinets (new from hardware store, or used) and just have the hardware store cut you down a piece of 3/4" plywood (non-treated). Places like Home Depot etc have small sizes of plywood available other than a whole sheet and most have the ability to cut it down for you too. That way all you would need to do is screw the plywood top down to the cabinets, and maybe take some pieces of scrap wood and screw it to the cabinets at the top to have a better piece of wood to screw the plywood if the cabinets aren't solid wood themselves.

Many options as I'm sure you've seen already but maybe leaning towards a store bought option is the easiest. I think I also saw some nice looking benches on the website that sells the Grizzly gunsmithing lathes.

http://www.grizzly.com/search/search?q=workbench&cachebuster=2157266589347273

Last edited:
+1 for me...I'm using the workbench from Sam's Club. Can't be beat for the price - Steel frame and epoxy coated hardwood. Will be purchasing another one in the future.
Ultra Heavy-Duty Workbench - Sam's Club

I am inspired to build a workbench, but after adding up the cost of everything using cabinets it's around 600 bucks, which I could just purchase the pedestal workbench I had listed at the top of the thread. If I am going a cheaper route, that sam's workbench looks good if I can also buy a tall cabinet, or some wall shelves.

Stack - On has a good one that is online at Home Depot, Cabela's, etc... I have it and love it

I am inspired to build a workbench, but after adding up the cost of everything using cabinets it's around 600 bucks, which I could just purchase the pedestal workbench I had listed at the top of the thread. If I am going a cheaper route, that sam's workbench looks good if I can also buy a tall cabinet, or some wall shelves.

Here's the complete line that matches the table. The small cabinet on wheels is very nice and fits right under the workbench. Either way you go it will work out for you - Sam's just makes it nice because you can go to a store and look at the items first-hand.
Seville Classics Total Organization System - Sam's Club

Here's the complete line that matches the table. The small cabinet on wheels is very nice and fits right under the workbench. Either way you go it will work out for you - Sam's just makes it nice because you can go to a store and look at the items first-hand.
Seville Classics Total Organization System - Sam's Club

I think that's what I'll do. Also, I think I should start reloading before I start buying storage space.

GG, Unless you have access to a planer and jointer, BAD Idea, you'll have built a shitstorm! The table top bdubb linked would work screwed down. The table thrusty linked may be your best option for now.

Trying to construct a butcher block table goes far and above using ordinary carpentry tools.

ditto on the harbor freight work bench. They have them for $129.99 for black Friday (usually 159.99):
Wood Workbench - 60" Wood Workbench w/ 4 Drawers

I bought one last year and it is an excellent bench for the money. Takes a while to assemble, but it is sturdy and has enough room for a basic setup. I have two single stage presses mounted (one on each end, clamped on a block setup I made where I did not have to drill the bench), and 3 powder measures at the rear of it (2 redding mod3 and a lee on stands, again mounted on a 2x4 and clamped where I can remove if needed). I may buy another this year just for a rifle work bench for cleaning, repairs, etc where I don't have to remove anything from the reloading station.

Love the bench from Sam's. I bolted it to the wall and added a piece of plywood on the bottom for a shelf.

Love the bench from Sam's. I bolted it to the wall and added a piece of plywood on the bottom for a shelf.

That's the one I'm going with. One newbie question, do you want to mount the press in front of where you plan to sit, or the side?

I reload standing up. Therefore I mount the press on either Dillon Mounts or in line precision. On the other wall is an identical table with a Forster Coax and Redding T7.
If you look at the corner of the bench you will see the plywood that was used to screw it into the studs. I screwed the plywood into the rear of the wood on the bench and then screwed it into the studs on the wall. Set up is rock solid and offers a lot of value for the dollar invested.

Good luck and good shooting sir

Unless you have access to a planer and jointer

Yes and no - if you want something super fancy yeah you may need those tools. However, if you want something functional and TOUGH you could get by with a drill and a circular saw.

I built one like this: EAA Chapter 1000 Standardized Work Table Plans a few years back. For the table top I doubled up the plywood to provide more strength in mounting to it. Stain it and build a set of shelves for it and you're golden.

As mentioned, the one from Sams looks great but there are options if you want to build your own.

PKT,
You're right, but I was going off this post and took it to mean he was just going to screw some 2x4's on top of cabinetry to make some type of butcher block. And if that was the case I was correct in what I wrote, UGLY!!

The bench you made looks good, kind of what a few of us were trying to construe to him in a different thread of the same idea's.

LOL - I follow now. I didn't catch the homemade butcher block part - yeah you are dead on there that would be ugly!

If you want a bench that looks pretty please completely ignore the rest of this post. I have no skills when it comes to building things whatsoever. So, if it is easy enough for me to do, then it could be done by an 800 lb gorilla. With no fingers. I found plans for an extremely cheap work bench online and the entire thing (tools included) ended up costing me way less than buying a bench from Sams or Harbor Freight.

Plans: Building A Basic Work Bench

Tools needed:

Drill (which you have)
Circular saw - $30 - 25% = $22.50 @ 18 Volt 5-1/2" Cordless Circular Saw with Laser Guide System

Optional:

Badass reloading stool with flames (it was a lot less when I bought it) Flame Design Bar/Counter Swivel Stool

Attempt to follow the plans and build something that looks like this:

wswbn40apr_basic_workbench.jpg

and have it come out like this:

Finale:

It doesn't matter how awesome your bench looks. As long as it provides a solid support for the press, ammo made on a POS bench like mine will shoot just as well as ammo made on the boner-inspiring benches posted by other hide members. I bolted mine to the wall and it is rock solid stable. As an added bonus, when your bench is already ugly as sin, you finally have a place to put all the damn stickers that everyone packages with their crap.

I would build your own to save some coin. That what I did.
I think I had around $100 in it. I'll take a picture when I get home and post

I went a little nutty when i built mine. Looked so nice i hated to drill holes in it! I planed down some 6/4 rough cut oak, used some oak 4x4s for legs and 2x4s for the apron. That SOB is so heavy i put it together in place. Its super solid. I put threaded inserts to mount the presses, trimmer etc. If I could figure out how to post pictures i would. Good luck!

That's the one I'm going with. One newbie question, do you want to mount the press in front of where you plan to sit, or the side?

Maybe mount it to a plate and use c clamps until you decide, that way you don't end up with unwanted holes.

This cost me just under $200 to build. That includes the steel straps across the legs and a gallon of Floor and Stair paint to finish it.

I built my first reloading bench and while it still serves a purpose, I went out a bought a pre-fab one the second time. When I move this summer, that old bench is not going with me. I'd save yourself the trouble and get a solid pre-fab bench that just requires you to put a few bolts in. This is what I have: Windsor Design Workbench with 4 Drawers, 60 Hardwood - Amazon.com. It's a heavy bitch but it does the job and offers me a place to store my dies and components so I don't have to run all over the place.

New reloader seeking bench.

I built my bench from construction grade lumber - 2x4, 2x8 and 4x4. I edge jointed the 2x8's with a circular saw and glued it up to make a solid top. I sanded everything. The leveling feet came from Enco. I need them to compensate for an uneven basement floor. The paint was a $7 mis-tint from Home Depot. It crazy how simply painting something transforms the appearance.

I also use the Inland Fabrication mounts for presses. I'm still getting things sorted out. The toolbox is great storage as well as additional work surface.

ezuzyvy4.jpg

vynajaru.jpg

This is 8 feet long and 36" wide, with enough storage underneath for thousands of wads, primers and several hundred pounds of shot. The bench Is able to be taken apart and moved. The plywood on the sides and back REALLY boxes it in and adds strength.
The original design is taken from the National Reloading Manufacturers site years ago. A very heavy duty bench. BUT one does need some carpentry skills and some tools.

I feel the full length shelf underneath is it's best feature. Allows one to store bullets and other components, which adds weight and further stabilizes the bench.

This guy is BIG as most everything regarding loading shot shells takes up SPACE. empties are big, wads take up space, etc.

I've got two of this design but only 6 foot long and 32" wide, built to the original plans.

One holds a pair of Dillon 550's and two single stage presses.

The other holds my Dillon 1050 and the other end is used for gun cleaning, repair, etc.

FN in MT

Last edited:
Finished the upper cabinet. Need to assemble the 550 and I can finally get back to loading and shooting.

e5a4yba6.jpg

I just went with a basic leg kit like this...

2 x 4 Basics

added some plywood and 2x4's and came up with this, if you don't have the ability to cut the wood, any local store (lowes, home depot) will make the cuts for you. All you need is a bag of screws and a screwdriver/drill.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    656.2 KB · Views: 14
Just about anything will work as long as it's sturdy. Both of my benches didn't really cost me anything as they were craigslist freebies. You can fine tune it to what you need/want.

Here's a picture of my metallic loading bench. It was cash register drawers from a grocery store. I put them together with thick sheet of plywood and voila! A working bench with drawers. Not in the picture but just to the left of this bench I have a hutch/desk that was part of my shotshell bench that I use for case prep and ammo storage.

And here's a picture of my shotshell bench. Again a craigslist freebie that I modified to fit my needs.

I picked up a section of counter top at a local recycler (Habitat for Humanity ReStore), then built a simple base out of 2x4s. When I made the base, I ran horizontal 2x4s around the base to make it more rigid, and so that I could later add a shelf. For that I just used a half inch sheet of plywood. Additionally, I screwed the entire bench to the wall.

At a minimum, this could be accomplished with a hand saw and a drill (I would NOT recommend nailing this together, screws are the only way to go).

The counter top works well, it is thick, rigid, and the coating makes cleanup easier than bare wood, without the need to apply any sort of finish.

I went with a couple from Sam's Club as well and like them a lot as I needed room for tools and factory ammo that I have collected over the last few years! Also went too Grainger for work table lamp and the had the for less than 100.00 bucks! Think I will go back and get me another as they have magnification built into them which I need! I strongly recommend these 2 as they are easily put together and can be moved around with ease !

Consider portable or multi-use

Since my reloading bench is also a general purpose garage workbench, I built a portable oak sled for my Forster Co-Ax press, which is mounted to a Dillon "strong mount." The oak sled easily mounts with clamps to the workbench, but I only find the clamps necessary when doing full-length resizing (which I rarely do), perhaps some credit to the Co-Ax press. Living in the hot and humid south, the portable sled will find its way indoors in the hot and humid summer days, another reason for going portable.

Originally I was about to buy a couple of the oak work benches from Harbor Freight (somewhat small), but was fourtnate to find a local Lowe's refreshing their cabinet displays and picked up these kitchen cabinets and top for $360; cheaper than I could build a bench and storage of similar quality.

Attachments

• ReloadingBench.jpg
    ReloadingBench.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I use the Sam's club bench with the smaller rolling cabinet that rolls under half of the bench. I'll try to remember a pic tomorrow. I can only say that it's convenient, the rolling cabinet takes a little time to assemble and the entire affair isn't a deep as it seems. I bolted a header board to the wall and used L brackets to bolt the bench to that. The header serves as a backsplash of sorts. All
In all a nice fairly heavy bench. The roller is full of tools and small parts, I use other cabinets in the room for component storage.

A friend and I built this bench https://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/downloads/bench_plans.pdf and I have been very happy with it. 4x4s, 2x4s, 2x6s, 1" plywood, and 1/4" plywood. We did all of the cuts with a circular saw, but the lines would be a bit straighter with a table saw- i believe. I got the plans from "The ABCs of Reloading." The author suggested contacting a cabinet maker about cutting the wood for you. Not a bad idea, really.