• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New reloading equipment list, opinions on it>

Geronimo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2010
columbus, ohio
$40 Whidden Gunworks Meplat Trimmer for L.E. Wilson Case Trimmer
$23 Possum Hollow Primer Pocket Uniformer Tool
$35 L.E. Wilson Case Trimmer
$13.5 L.E. Wilson Chamfer and Deburring Tool
$11 L.E. Wilson Trimmer Case Holder
$10.5 Whidden Gunworks Meplat Trimmer Caliber Sleeve 30
That is my Midway list so far Next Is Sinclair
$32 2xSinclair Comparator/Bump Gage Body
$16 2xSinclair Comparator Insert, 30 cal
$28 Sinclair VLD Chamfering Too
Brownells
$16 rod stops

midsouth posiibles
$289 RCBS RELOADING PRODUCTS ROCKCHUCKER SUPREME MASTER RELOADING KIT
$95 for the RCBS comp .308 set or 123 for the .308 die set? one sight also says they require an extended shell holder? also saw the national match set. Any experiance with these or comparable dies? Looking to shoot up to 100 rounds maybe double that a couple times a month, starting alot of work so I will wait (unless a deal comes along) on a Giraud trimmer,soon a chrono.This press will be dedicated to .308 for the forseeable future. Also have a digital caliper and plan on a sonic cleaner/micrometer from HF, last question is how often does anyone use a concentricity guage?

$28 Sinclair VLD Chamfering Tool

Re: New reloading equipment list, opinions on it>

Looks good

what have you got so far? Got all the basics?

It will give me a better idea of the direction your headed

Sinclairs is a great store! I blow shit loads of cash there

do yourself a favor and buy the rcbs trim-mate vs the individual hand tools. And I'd start with a hornady vibrating cleaner vs sonic...but that's just me.

Thanks for the response. actually have several windows open to order it all, found what I thought was a deal on craigslist and it turned out to be old and dirty lol, so gotta order all of this. Have a couple hundred once fired fgmm brass, want a hundred lapua to try also.

Your list looks fine.I agree,a little background info might help us see where you are going.My RCBS competition dies all came with the extended shellholder,no need to buy another.Also,RCBS deburring tools used to come marked" made for RCBS by LE Wilson"and cost 2 or 3 dollars less than the Wilson,go figger.Sinclair sells the Wilson trimmer,all tricked out with a bunch of their accessories,may be worth a look.I really like mine,especially the micrometer adjustment. Pete

Thanks again good feedback is hard to find, everything is ordered, have the rockchucker kit sonic cleaner/micrometer/calipers/lyman 49th manual/seirra manual/some 175 smk's/br-2's/ rl 15/saw I can add the micrometer but need a chrono still and maybe a concentricity gauge starting to put stuff on plastic lol. Eventually after I settle in at my new job I'll take some classes at Rifles only and TVP, but until then I need to work reloading and the small stuff.

I'm going down this same road w/ 308. Can I keep this thread going with questions about the equipment and dies and such? I have no dies ordered yet.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Workflow</span> - <span style="font-style: italic">(What equipment?)</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Depriming</span> - <span style="font-style: italic">Single Stage ?</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Crimped Pocket Swaging (if needed)</span> - <span style="font-style: italic">Dillon Super Swage?</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Flash Hole Debur & Primer Pocket Uniform</span> - <span style="font-style: italic">Sinclair Gen II</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Annealing (if needed)</span> - <span style="font-style: italic">Templique & Torch</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Tumbling</span> - <span style="font-style: italic">Thumblers B Hi Speed w/ SS Media</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Sizing:</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Headspace Measurement</span> - <span style="font-style: italic">Sinclair Caliper/Comparator/Bump Gauge & 30cal Bump Insert</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Bumping Shoulder</span> - <span style="font-style: italic">This is where I get lost. Do I want a Redding Comp Neck Sizing Bushing Die w/ a mic adj. and particular Bushing? I think I missed a descripption of the tool being used? </span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Neck Sizing</span> - <span style="font-style: italic">If not bumping the shoulder, I understand a Lee Collet Die might be recommended in this step to smooth any deformation?</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Body Die/FL Sizing</span> - <span style="font-style: italic">There is a Body Die in the Redding Set, but I don't understand what its for. I know I don't understand this process yet. When to FL Size and when to use the Body Die but I'd like to get the Dies on the way while I'm learning. Some tutorials up on the Hide say to FL size everytime, and others say no. So I'm still trying to understand. Anyways. Need some dies for this step and looking for recommendations.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Trimming</span> - <span style="font-style: italic">I was looking at the Giraud initially, but it seems I'm now headed down the same path as the OP with the Sinclair or RCBS. Any other recommendations? Forster? With the Forster, I could also use it to turn the necks no?</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Meplat Trimming</span> - <span style="font-style: italic">We've come this far, and need to do the next step w/ meplat, so are we really going to skip this step =)</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Meplat and Bearing Surface Meaurement</span> - <span style="font-style: italic">Sinclair Caliper/Comparator (x2)</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">OAL Measurement</span> - <span style="font-style: italic">Brownell rod stops or Hornady OAL</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Seating</span> - <span style="font-style: italic">RCBS/Redding/Forster w/ Mic Adjustment</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Concentricity Gauge</span> - <span style="font-style: italic">I was looking at the Hornady and it says it can not only detect the runout, but also correct it? How so? I know the OP was still looking for info/advice on concentricity gauge. Any thoughts?</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Neck Turning</span> - <span style="font-style: italic">Forster etc</span>

I hope I didnt hijack. But I also wasn't sure if I should start a new thread. It sounds like the OP and I are headed down the same path though. My first post here. I've learned so much on this forum just by reading. Thank you for any help you might be able to provide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do yourself a favor and buy the rcbs trim-mate vs the individual hand tools.</div></div>

I saw one on YouTube, but it didn't look like a precision tool. Is it satisfactory for the all the trimming/chamfering that needs to be done?

It's not for trimming...which I suppose is ironic given the name. I use it for chamfering, deburing, neck brush, primer pocket uniformer, etc. Works great and saves a ton of time vs doing by hand.

you would only anneal to get added life really from your brass, not needed, the wilson can be attached to a drill to make it faster plus has a large amount of attachments. FL size to neck size is set on alot of preference, I got the rcbs comp dies that fl size, setting it all up early this week and will take pictures.