• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New rifle, new brass...working up load prior to rifle arrival.

Lrdchaos

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2011
Oklahoma
I'm having a 308 built by AO. I have new Remington and Lapua brass ready to go. Is there any problem with FL sizing the brass, trimming to length and working up a load based on Newberry's OCW? I will break the rifle in using factory 168gr GMM ammo. But when I'm finished with break in I would like to have the loads ready to roll. This will be the first rifle or gun period that I will be reloading for. I have a case length\head space gauge to measure for correct sizing.

My experience with new Lapua 308 brass is that it is very consistent piece to piece including case length at ~2.007-8. After sizing and the first firing in my chamber, the case volume changes (increases) and the cases resize to about ~2.011.

So I developed a load using new cases and a bunch of free Hornady rebate bullets that I have no other use for (150gr) for fire forming the cases prior to load development. That load is actually sort of fun to shoot on its own lol. But I don't begin new load development for target ammo until the cases have been fire formed in my chamber and trimmed to 2.005.

I pre-loaded some rounds for my 6.5x47. I just seated them long, until I can measure the chamber. I will be using a chrono also. I guess if anything, I will have a good idea where a node is.

So what's the procedure for this new process to OCW loads without even shooting at targets?

3. Consult at least three load data sources for maximum charge weight for the powder you've selected. Powder manufacturers are the most reliable source. You must then decide on what your maximum charge will be.

4. Back away from the maximum charge by 7 to 10 percent, and load one test round with this charge. Add 2% to the charge weight, and load another cartridge with that charge. Load a third test cartridge with the next 2% graduation. You will use these three cartridges for sighters, and more importantly to determine pressure tolerance in your individual rifle.

5. Add another 2% or so to the charge level used in cartridge #3 of step 4, and load three rounds with this charge weight. Add .7% to 1% to this charge, and load three more. Add that same graduation again, and load three more. Continue adding the chosen graduation until you have moved ONE increment above your chosen maximum powder charge.

6. The seating depth for all test loads should of course be the same. I normally seat the bullet a caliber's depth into the case, or to magazine length--whichever is shorter. I don't believe loading to approach the lands is necessary, or even desirable in most situations. So long as the bullets are seated straight, with as little runout as possible, the advantages of loading close to the lands are largely over-stated. This said, be certain that the seating depth you choose does not cram the bullet into the lands. Stay at least .020" or so off the lands for these excercises.

I would just load the bullets to the 2.800 length, to find the accuracy nod. Then I would work on seating depth after I found the OCW.