• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New room setup

Adkhunter3

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Jun 16, 2020
    Earth
    Just built a new reloading room and my layout is only big enough for 2 presses. I’m currently running two Single stage rock chuckers. I was thinking about getting rid of them and getting a T7 turret press then adding a Dillon 550 down the road. I planned on doing my long range stuff on the T7 in conjunction with my chargemaster and doing 223 and shorter range rounds on the Dillon. My buddy just suggested keeping one of the rockchuckers and going straight to the Dillon 550 basically loading everything on that and using the rockchucker as a backup. Any input would be appreciated.

I wish you lot's of luck on finishing your reloading space I am still lost on what I want after spending days upon days looking through custom made gun rooms I always see tons of great idea's there are just so many choices on directions one could go it's easy to be side tracked .

Reactions: Adkhunter3
    I run all sizing operations on a Dillon 750. (Deprime, Size, prime, expand). for all my cartridges. I then seat bullets on an Ammo Master-2 (saves me from scooping bullets in with my RUM) I was going to buy a Zero press for seating but still would be scooping bullets for my RUM plus I'm planning a bigger case one day .

I would recommend this set up for sure. I get great accuracy and consistency out of my Dillon ammo and saves me a pile of time

Last edited:
    I have a T7 on a foldable bench, and a Redding Big Boss 2. Both are on the quick-change systems from Inline Fabrication so that I can move them around, and also use other tools with the InlineFab mount (like my trimmer. It's absolutely the way to go.

1638480036197.png

I agree with ur buddy. I’d get the 550 first and you might find you end up running most everything on it. If it doesn’t do it for you than anti up for the turret.

When I shoot long range I always resort to my Forster single stage because of how accurate the ammunition is that comes out of it. When I shoot my AR, I go straight to my Dillon. If I were to get a turret in place of my single stage, even the T7, I'd probably just use my Dillon instead because IMO it probably produces just as accurate ammo when setup for it. Even F-Class John loads his precision ammo on it.

So that's a vote for single stage + progressive.

When I shoot long range I always resort to my Forster single stage because of how accurate the ammunition is that comes out of it. When I shoot my AR, I go straight to my Dillon. If I were to get a turret in place of my single stage, even the T7, I'd probably just use my Dillon instead because IMO it probably produces just as accurate ammo when setup for it. Even F-Class John loads his precision ammo on it.

So precision ammo can be done in a Dillon but you said you use it how I envisioned using it for shorter range type shooting. Is it harder to make it happen on a Dillon for accurate long range ammo? What’s the typical accuracy you can get with the Dillon? I guess I just thought the T7 would be equal to a rock chucker. I do like the idea of saving a lot of time so I’m very open to the Dillon.

Many people are running the Dillon for their precision ammo and making just as accurate ammo as a single stage.

Many others will do all their case prep on the Dillon and seat on a single.

If you already have an autotrickler I feel that you could be very productive on the Dillon. I recently picked up a second chargemaster just so it cut down waiting on the powder throw as that was the weak link in my operation.

I currently size all my brass on my MEC than trim. After that everything else is done in one operation on the Dillon(Prime,Mandrel,powder,seat). As stated I run the Armonov toolheads which free float each die individually. I regularly see around .001-.0015 variance in my cbto.

I recently picked up a second chargemaster just so it cut down waiting on the powder throw as that was the weak link in my operation.
    I thought about doing the same but decided to order a v4 instead, I should gain accuracy and speed with the new set up over my chargemaster lite

I thought about doing the same but decided to order a v4 instead, I should gain accuracy and speed with the new set up over my chargemaster lite
    I’m about to order one as well but looks to be quite a ways out. The second chargemaster lite was a cheap and quick solution for theyime being.

I’m about to order one as well but looks to be quite a ways out. The second chargemaster lite was a cheap and quick solution for theyime being.
    I've heard they are about 8 months wait rumor is that they never catch up date just keeps pushing back, they say if you never get your name on the list you'll never get one.

Another vote for Inline Fab mounts. I have 2 presses, a 550 and a Rockchucker, but 1 press station. I don't load my precision rounds on the Dillon, but just my preference, no other reason. I also have the Inline Fab storage mounts. Really cleans up the bench.

IMHO having a progressive and a single stage is awesome if one can swing it. I run a Dillon for high volume stuff and do all my precision stuff on the single stage.

DFD9BC2D-6BE1-4387-9BF1-874AEA5D79DA.jpeg

So precision ammo can be done in a Dillon but you said you use it how I envisioned using it for shorter range type shooting. Is it harder to make it happen on a Dillon for accurate long range ammo? What’s the typical accuracy you can get with the Dillon? I guess I just thought the T7 would be equal to a rock chucker. I do like the idea of saving a lot of time so I’m very open to the Dillon.
    The Rock Chucker and Redding T7 I'm sure both create very accurate ammo, and I would agree with you that yeah the turret is probably equal to it. It's an awesome press.

I don't know the accuracy I get with my Dillon because I use my single stages for that, but from what I've heard, Armanov Free-floating Die Toolhead + Weigh Charges off Press and you have ammo ready for F-Class (minus brass quality + prep).

So I'm not knocking the T7. But if people are making a Dillon work for F-Class, (personally) I might as well just do things the faster way + put the money spent on the T7 towards the progressive if I couldn't have my single stage anymore.

If you want to hear it from someone with more credibility than me (granted this is a 750):

Last edited:
    Reactions: Mudflap621
    Many people are running the Dillon for their precision ammo and making just as accurate ammo as a single stage.

Many others will do all their case prep on the Dillon and seat on a single.

If you already have an autotrickler I feel that you could be very productive on the Dillon. I recently picked up a second chargemaster just so it cut down waiting on the powder throw as that was the weak link in my operation.

I currently size all my brass on my MEC than trim. After that everything else is done in one operation on the Dillon(Prime,Mandrel,powder,seat). As stated I run the Armonov toolheads which free float each die individually. I regularly see around .001-.0015 variance in my cbto.
    I size on a turret, then do everything else on a 550. I actually have all short action cartridges down to one toolhead on my 550, with a mandrel die in station one, where I switch out the mandrel depending on the cartridge, a powder station in #2, which I do either using a hopper or an Autotrickler, again depending on the cartridge, and then a SAC universal seater in station three where I just dial the micrometer to length, again depending on the cartridge. And I agree on the floating toolheads. I haven't tried the Armonov, but I am assuming they are just like the whiddens.

Then I have a million other toolheads for rando cartridges, but I seem really organized when loading short action.

The Rock Chucker and Redding T7 I'm sure both create very accurate ammo, and I would agree with you that yeah the turret is probably equal to it. It's an awesome press.

I don't know the accuracy I get with my Dillon because I use my single stages for that, but from what I've heard, Armanov Free-floating Die Toolhead + Weigh Charges off Press + Honed Shellplate Bottom + Thrust Bearings for shellplate and you have ammo ready for F-Class (minus brass quality + prep).

So I'm not knocking the T7. But if people are making a Dillon work for F-Class, (personally) I might as well just do things the faster way + put the money spent on the T7 towards the progressive if I couldn't have my single stage anymore.

If you want to hear it from someone with more credibility than me:

All of that makes sense other than honing the shellplate bottom. Unless I am understanding the machine incorrectly, there is no advantage or disadvantage in doing so. The only thing would be if you needed to get your sizing die down lower than the stock shellplate would allow, but then you might as well hone the bottom of your sizing die.

John sold his dillon and now uses a Zero press, correct me if I am wrong.

He did. I should have clarified thank you. They make very accurate presses for single turret and progressive. I guess my point is more, it's easier to make a quality single stage than a turret or progrerssive, and the price will reflect that. So, that's my reason to have a single stage. And, between a T7 & Dillon, I consider the ammo they make to be the same quality, and any differences in the ammo quality negligible so in that instance I'd just use the Dillon b/c it has so much more speed. Perhaps all turret presses was a hasty generalization.

Last edited:
    It certainly looks that way. I drank the 750XL kool aid and I'm loving it so far. Its certainly capable of making some great ammo, as FCJ used it for a while to make match loads. Cortina is rumored to use one as well but maybe he's on that Zero train now too, I dont know.

OP is interested in running progressive for bulk loading a turret for precision stuff - to save space. I will argue that a 750XL is certainly capable of doing both tasks extremely well with some minor bolt-on modifications. It looks like a lot of reloading lore we used to think was important doesn't matter as much as we once thought; hence why loading precision rounds on a progressive works...with the right equipment.

That said, the Zero looks like an amazing piece of reloading gear.