• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Rotating Shooting Bench Setup

M_16_4_REAL

RubiconJK
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2012
Seattle
After looking around for a bench for prairie dog shooting, and not finding something that I was happy with, I decided to make my own. I did like the Caldwell Stable Table, but at $200 it was just not well built enough for the cost, and the table top was a bit small for my liking.
Went to local lumber yard and picked up a 4’x4’x3/4” sheet of finished hardwood top acx plywood. Found a set of folding banquet table legs on offerup. And one trip to Lowes for some hardware, I was off to start building. Total cost for build was:
Plywood-$22
Legs-$10
Hardware-$21
I laid out to the top for a right handed shooter, but could be done for an ambi setup, and started cutting. After a few cuts and some sanding I had the bench top portion ready. I used a piece of the cut off material for a swinging top to mount my rest on. Also works for shooting off a bipod. Used some t-nuts for locating the rear rest jack screw, and one for the pivot point with a thumb screw. At the hardware store I picked up some roller balls to make the top slide smooth. A few holes drilled, and some tweaking, I ended up with this pretty handy bench. We shoot from a flat trailer that sits about 24” off the ground so the elevated position works great for looking down on the flat ground and spotting the little critters. With the swinging top you can cover a lot of ground without having to move your chair.
Lmk what you guys think of my inexpensive homemade setup.

Attachments

• B0C88C42-6AD0-447A-8444-F921FAE3BC86.jpeg
    B0C88C42-6AD0-447A-8444-F921FAE3BC86.jpeg
    307.6 KB · Views: 206
  • 7FB852B9-A6DF-4B62-B04A-339DD644D536.jpeg
    7FB852B9-A6DF-4B62-B04A-339DD644D536.jpeg
    308.3 KB · Views: 207
  • F114E2AF-DE22-4440-91FF-5B0C668478DE.jpeg
    F114E2AF-DE22-4440-91FF-5B0C668478DE.jpeg
    305.7 KB · Views: 223
  • ABFEA1AE-AC56-4302-83B6-BC426B17A180.jpeg
    ABFEA1AE-AC56-4302-83B6-BC426B17A180.jpeg
    344.7 KB · Views: 176
Glad you are happy with it. Too funky, crude, unfinished and unuseable shaped top to suit me. No slam intended, it just wouldn't work FOR ME.

if that fits in the back of a truck you should be perfect
id look into sticking a couple of u-bolts for a umbrella, that would make a nice day for shooting

Reactions: Balor
Took the bench out today to give it a try. Very happy with how it performed. The design allows me to have my right elbow rest solid on the table, and my left arm supporting the stock just like I planned. When going from 300y gong to 500y, there is about a difference of 60 feet left to right. Easily made the swing with plenty of room for further travel. The rollers are steady and do not move unless you want them to.
The top and swing table will now be sanded smooth, stained and varnished to protect from random rain showers, just wanted to make sure it was gonna be what I wanted before going through all the trouble.
Bench was absolutely steady, no wobble. Fits perfectly in the back of my jeep, and I still have room for all my other gear.
I like the idea of u-bolts for an awning. I’ll have to look into that. Great suggestion.

Huntsman:
You might think it’s “funky and unusable” but that’s just your opinion. And we all know the two things everyone has, opinions and assholes.
If you’ve got a home made bench I’d love to see pictures of it.

There’s a reason the shape is like that. I didn’t just think, hey I’ll make these ears extend out so it looks better. The ears allow another 15 degrees of swing per side and when shooting varmints it always seems like there are just a few out of the shootable area on a normal table. When I was cutting the notch for a right handed shooter, I had to go deeper on my cut to allow for proper shoulder contact with the buttstock. I want enough area to be able to mount my Sinclair spotting scope stand within easy reach, and I accomplished that with my design. I’m sure it’s not for everyone, but a couple of the other club shooters really thought it was a great idea having a steady top you could reposition without having to turn your chair and do a total reset.
Sure I could spend $200 for a Caldwell steady table, or $400 for a Caldwell BR setup, but then I’d just be throwing money down the drain. I’d rather spend my money on a bunch more bullets, powder, another atlas bipod, or something else I’d be getting more use out of.
And knowing that you made something yourself carries a certain amount of pride. Anyone can just throw money around. It takes thought and some skill, not to mention the right tools, to turn an idea into a usable piece.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
With that center cut on a 45 how is your upper body positioned.
Are you perpendicular to the butt of the rifle or are you kind of left shoulder forward/chest against the 45.

Huntsman:
You might think it’s “funky and unusable” but that’s just your opinion. And we all know the two things everyone has, opinions and assholes.
If you’ve got a home made bench I’d love to see pictures of it.

It takes thought and some skill, not to mention the right tools, to turn an idea into a usable piece.

Yeah, it's just my opinion. But after SOME time spent in PD fields, I've figured out what works for me. I use a 3 legged homemade Stukey-style bench with a wide enough top to get some good lateral, by just sliding my homemade car-jack rest back and forth. No thang, to move the bench slightly when the coverage area is shot out. And I much prefer a square 'notch' on the back instead of an angle. It gives you a spot to center your chest against to better feel your heartbeat to time shots. And a 'shelf' underneath gives a spot outta the sun to put ammo and rifles to cool. I also would much rather use a stool, rather than a chair (especially one that sinks yer butt down). More likely to stay upright on the gun without forcing your back straight. But, that's just my asshole opinion again. My cheap-ass car jack rest has more vertical adjustment for shooting at up/down angles, because all dog country ain't flat, than bullybags or conventional rests and hence faster and handier than stuffing blocks and shit under the other type rests. I originnay built mine with a 1 1/4" OSB top, but put Corian on it to better handle dents, scuffs and weather. The other thing I prefer is a narrow 'ear' on the back. Much more comfy to hook your elbow over the edge rather than resting it on top. After a 900 round day, your elbow tends to get tender. Ain't none of that tender shit if it don't sit up on top of the bench. I also think I built mine with the 'right' tools. I actually own, and used, a router with a round-over bit to relieve the edges and handholds to stand rifles in. Gives the thing a smooth, finished, profession look, I figger. But hey, that's just an assholes opinion. again.....

HPIM3736.jpg

HPIM3744.jpg

IMG_0383_zpsw6gy1skm.jpg

IMG_0382_zpseizwnban.jpg

IMG_2524_zpstzvdzehh.jpg

Yeah body is square to the butt of the rifle. You do get a bit of forward lean when swing is out to the far starboard side. But it’s pretty minimal.

Yeah, it's just my opinion. But after SOME time spent in PD fields, I've figured out what works for me. I use a 3 legged homemade Stukey-style bench with a wide enough top to get some good lateral, by just sliding my homemade car-jack rest back and forth. No thang, to move the bench slightly when the coverage area is shot out. And I much prefer a square 'notch' on the back instead of an angle. It gives you a spot to center your chest against to better feel your heartbeat to time shots. And a 'shelf' underneath gives a spot outta the sun to put ammo and rifles to cool. I also would much rather use a stool, rather than a chair (especially one that sinks yer butt down). More likely to stay upright on the gun without forcing your back straight. But, that's just my asshole opinion again. My cheap-ass car jack rest has more vertical adjustment for shooting at up/down angles, because all dog country ain't flat, than bullybags or conventional rests and hence faster and handier than stuffing blocks and shit under the other type rests. I originnay built mine with a 1 1/4" OSB top, but put Corian on it to better handle dents, scuffs and weather. The other thing I prefer is a narrow 'ear' on the back. Much more comfy to hook your elbow over the edge rather than resting it on top. After a 900 round day, your elbow tends to get tender. Ain't none of that tender shit if it don't sit up on top of the bench. I also think I built mine with the 'right' tools. I actually own, and used, a router with a round-over bit to relieve the edges and handholds to stand rifles in. Gives the thing a smooth, finished, profession look, I figger. But hey, that's just an assholes opinion. again.....

HPIM3736.jpg

HPIM3744.jpg

IMG_0383_zpsw6gy1skm.jpg

IMG_0382_zpseizwnban.jpg

IMG_2524_zpstzvdzehh.jpg
Good work. What’s that tip made of? Does it get hot in the sun being exposed all day?
That looks pretty legit though lol. Little small for my liking but good none the less. I like the storage under the table. It would work well for cleaning rods and ammo boxes. Since we use a trailer to travel from town to town and shoot from, I wouldn’t store anything under during travel. Part of why I made mine the way I did, was it’s easy to fold up and lay flat for transport. And I had a table before with a darker top that got so hot you couldn’t rest your elbows on it. That got shitcanned after one day.
We are working on building a folding awning for the three benches out of aluminum 1” square tubing with push pins, with a top made to fit by a marine canvas shop. I’m hoping it helps when the weather is 90 degrees and stale air.

Btw I’m not one of those that take offense to criticisms. And by no mean was I calling you an asshole bud.

Do you really need a bench rest to hit the wall at that range?
I’m assuming your calling the gongs a “wall”? Or do you mean something else.

I’ll take any advantage when targets are 2-1/2” and 3” round, respectively. Our range goes out to 800y, and we routinely shoot 4” to 5” gongs at the maximum distance. We also like to push each other and see who can cold bore the smallest targets. I’ve personally see a fellow shooter, with a 6.5-284 HV bench rest gun smack a golf ball at 800y one shot. He was using a Seb rest, which I can’t afford, but none the less, very impressive.
So a 1/4” movement on the bench translates to a miss at 600y. Been there done that. I started out with a Harris, then went to a Atlas, then a Sinclair F-class bipod. They all have their place, but the rest is SOLID and setup correctly, you get no movement except a heartbeat rhythm. Which is what I’m after. Take as many variables out of the setup as possible so I can concentrate on reading the wind, trigger control, and breathing.

No, I just think it's funny that the pictures show your gun pointing at a wall about 3-4" from the muzzle.

Hang a target there and you can't miss.

You nailed it. Can’t miss that target. Although I’m sure it wouldn’t do the house any good to put a round through the walls.

I give @huntsman22 , the credit for a 3 legged (tripod) style shooting bench... Three legs will always sit firmly on the ground as its normally not perfectly flat. Seems theres always one-out-of-four not touching!!!! Ha Ha.. I also like the car-jack front rest!!!! Nicely done Sir!!!! Idaho-5R