• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Savage .308 barrel break-in?

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    Guys, I can't get this effing search function to work for me.
    I try "barrel break-in"...no luck.
    I use advanced search, type in "barrel + break-in" and I get a bunch of crap that has nothing to do with the subject.

I know there's a ton of info here already on this, so I'm not asking everyone to waste their time...

Perhaps point me to a good thread, or tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong with the search function?

Thanks!

Re: New Savage .308 barrel break-in?

The widely held opinion here is that barrel break-in is a bunch of hogwash and a waste of barrel life.

Go shoot the gun and don't worry about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The widely held opinion here is that barrel break-in is a bunch of hogwash and a waste of barrel life.

Go shoot the gun and don't worry about it. </div></div>

That's pretty much what I've always done...
    Some barrel mfg's say the same thing...
    So, if that's the consensus here, you just saved me some time.

Thanks.

I asked the same question before... here is what I was given, its good and very educational.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Its a savage just shoot it if the barrel goes tits up the new midway flyer(page 30) has a kit that has a barrel,wrench,bore paste ,lube and a go no gauge for $200 happy shooting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: anothervr6kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I asked the same question before... here is what I was given, its good and very educational.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

You've learned very quickly the responses around here.
    grin.gif

I'll say it and say it again. If you are looking for tight groups barrel break-in is a good thing. If not, don't worry about it.

I've seen a number of times when a barrel break-in has helped in benchrest shooting. I've also seen a number of times when shooting long range that it isn't going to matter.

What barrel break-in does is give you that extra little margin for error. In a tactical situation it isn't going to matter. You will have a given range the rifle can shoot sub-whatever as that dictates the shot. As a military shooter, if it's within your X-MOA/Mil, gudlines, you shoot. As a benchrest shooter you will see the importance of barrel break-in and therefore holdoff to make sure your shot hits where you intened it to go.l

My whole take on this issue us, some people feel that benchrest accuracy is not necessary. IMO, it's not in all situations. But, get it if you can. Break the barrel in and you get a little bit better accuracy than you otherwise would have. A .5 MOA barrel to start with shooting a .25 MOA, once broke in. Or, as in my case, a .2 barrel shooting a sub .1" (.085, .090 AND .091)

What most people think in their minds is, "I can make a Sub-MOA (barely, .090 {one group} barrel give me a .010 group". super-rifle personna by shooting sub .1 MOA from now on. The former, amazingly enough is true! While the latter isn't near true.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyTrain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Forgive my ignorance, I'm new to bolt guns and scopes but can you really toss a scope around like that and have it keep zero at 700 yards? </div></div>

If it's a quality optic, maybe. Would I do it, HECK NO. Here is all I usually do for my savages and the ones I work on. 1 round (1 lube patch one dry patch), 1 rd (repeat cleaning steps), 1rd (repeat), 3rds (repeat), 5rds (repeat). That's all I ever do and you can see from my sig what my inferior Stevens 200 will do with hand loads.

Biggest thing is to know your weapon. If you have a sporter (noodle) barrel you're going to need to take your time between shots and let your barrel cool. I usually give mine 60 seconds to cool between shots after I shoot my first three back to back to get it up to temperature. However if you're running a bull barrel this doesn't apply and you probably only need 20sec or so between shots until it starts to throw rounds high right.

If you're running the cheap tuperware stock don't put a bi-pod on it as it will flex your stock and cause it to hit the barrel. Either upgrade your stock or use shooting bags located right infront of your barrel nut. Also float your rear tang and use blue lock tite on your action screws, scope base screws and your ring bolts where they attach to the rail/mounts. Never use lock tite on scope screws for scope caps.

Good luck,
    Merritt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyTrain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Forgive my ignorance, I'm new to bolt guns and scopes but can you really toss a scope around like that and have it keep zero at 700 yards? </div></div>

If it's a quality optic, maybe. Would I do it, HECK NO. Here is all I usually do for my savages and the ones I work on. 1 round (1 lube patch one dry patch), 1 rd (repeat cleaning steps), 1rd (repeat), 3rds (repeat), 5rds (repeat). That's all I ever do and you can see from my sig what my inferior Stevens 200 will do with hand loads.

Biggest thing is to know your weapon. If you have a sporter (noodle) barrel you're going to need to take your time between shots and let your barrel cool. I usually give mine 60 seconds to cool between shots after I shoot my first three back to back to get it up to temperature. However if you're running a bull barrel this doesn't apply and you probably only need 20sec or so between shots until it starts to throw rounds high right.

If you're running the cheap tuperware stock don't put a bi-pod on it as it will flex your stock and cause it to hit the barrel. Either upgrade your stock or use shooting bags located right infront of your barrel nut. Also float your rear tang and use blue lock tite on your action screws, scope base screws and your ring bolts where they attach to the rail/mounts. Never use lock tite on scope screws for scope caps.

Good luck,
    Merritt </div></div>

Thanks for the response man. I'm getting the Savage with the heavy fluted 5R barrel and the HS stock and am looking at a Vortex scope for it. Here's the link to both. Do you have any opinions as to what factory ammos and weights I should try first before I work up a load for it?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411540368

http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Viper-PST-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P44559.aspx

Thanks

On all of my Savages, and the ones that I have helped others with, break in was done but the main thing to keep accuracy was to stop cleaning it after every use. I chased the perfect load for months and 100's of rounds until I read an article on 6mmBR, I think its on the 308 page. Once I stopped cleaning after every session I immediately noticed an improvement. CBS was in the first group every time. You could see copper in the barrel and see the tool marks from manufacturing but just look away. I think I would go 250+ rounds on the 308 before cleaning and after that, it would take another 20 rounds to foul up enough to shoot normal. After market barrels don't need that many foulers if any, but I still don't clean those until accuracy falls off.

Bottom line, break it in if you want, but try to avoid cleaning too much after that and see how it does. I got started into long range shooting with a 10FP in 308, best load was 45.0gr Varget, 168MK, Russian nny brass, BR2 primers, and 2.810 OAL.
    Good Shooting!

mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    CrazyTrain said:
    Also float your rear tang and use blue lock tite on your action screws, scope base screws and your ring bolts where they attach to the rail/mounts. Never use lock tite on scope screws for scope caps.

Good luck,
    Merritt </div></div>

OK, we'll shift topics... I'll be sure to follow the break-in procedure as outlined in the you-tube video.

First q: You say "float your rear tang"- not sure what you're referring to here. The only "tang" I know of is the rear tang on the action, and you certainly don't want that to be loose- so can you please explain?

Second- I've always used blue loctite on every screw- why should I not use loctite on the upper scope ring screws?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1k3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On all of my Savages, and the ones that I have helped others with, break in was done but the main thing to keep accuracy was to stop cleaning it after every use. I chased the perfect load for months and 100's of rounds until I read an article on 6mmBR, I think its on the 308 page. Once I stopped cleaning after every session I immediately noticed an improvement. CBS was in the first group every time. You could see copper in the barrel and see the tool marks from manufacturing but just look away. I think I would go 250+ rounds on the 308 before cleaning and after that, it would take another 20 rounds to foul up enough to shoot normal. After market barrels don't need that many foulers if any, but I still don't clean those until accuracy falls off.

Bottom line, break it in if you want, but try to avoid cleaning too much after that and see how it does. I got started into long range shooting with a 10FP in 308, best load was 45.0gr Varget, 168MK, Russian nny brass, BR2 primers, and 2.810 OAL.
    Good Shooting!

mike </div></div>

Thanks Mike, that helps alot. I've never been one to overclean a rifle like that. My benelli R1 in .300 Win Mag is sitting with the last 30 rounds worth of dirt in it. I can't get it to do better than a 2" group with 165 gr Corelokts and those are the best factory loads I've found...but that's a whole other topic.

I think I will put it through a 50 rnd break in but will zero my scope with it and have fun punching paper at the same time so as not to waste barrel life. I also was intending on giving the barrel a crio treatment after I put 100, or so, rounds through it. Does anyone do that to these barrels? It sounds like a good idea to me but IDK, I'm a newb in this game.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    CrazyTrain said:
    Never use lock tite on scope screws for scope caps.

Good luck,
    Merritt </div></div>

Second- I've always used blue loctite on every screw- why should I not use loctite on the upper scope ring screws? </div></div>

See the part where he said "scope screws FOR SCOPE CAPS"? LOL

float the rear tang as in make sure it doesnt touch or rub the stock in any way. as in if you look at your HS when you get it, it will be sitting low in the stock. my receiver had a burr on the underside of the rear tang that was digging into the stock. i filed it down while i was bedding the action. click my name, view my posts for the bedding pictures

You normally float a Savage rear tang since the rear action screw is in front of the trigger, not at the rear like a Remington/clone.

Axeman has perfect pictures showing in detail what is the norm for Savage bedding. Plus there are plenty of other threads around here detailing the proper bedding method for Savages.

Mike

A friend of mine put a borescope down his savage barrel and was surprised at the roughness of the bore after about 500 shots. He called savage and they told him that all their barrels are rough. If break in has any positive effects it will not be on a savage barrel. Tubbs final finish may have a positive effect but a bronze brush and patch is pissin' in the wind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1k3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You normally float a Savage rear tang since the rear action screw is in front of the trigger, not at the rear like a Remington/clone.

Axeman has perfect pictures showing in detail what is the norm for Savage bedding. Plus there are plenty of other threads around here detailing the proper bedding method for Savages.

Mike
    </div></div>

I found the thread where the rear tang floating was described but couldn't find any pics so far. What thread are the pics in?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vinconco</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Tubbs final finish may have a positive effect.... </div></div>

I've seen this before but never known anyone to use it. Does it actually work as advertised and could it smooth out a button rifled barrel like Savages'?

Nevermind, just used the search on it. I think I'll try it for myself. Can't hurt anyways.

Boy, there's a lot of shit flying in this one. Since I'm on a plane and have nothing better to do here's what my research has yielded:
    First, the process of breaking in a barrel by going through a "shoot and clean" ritual for um-teen rounds is a MYTH. It was made up by a barrel manufacturer in the interest of selling more barrels. That is a documented FACT.
    Second, don't EVER run bullets that are specifically made to sand the rifling away from bore! You will be reducing the life of your barrel by hundreds, maybe thousands of rounds.
    A barrel will break in just fine on it's own by just shooting normally.

FWIW...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyTrain</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    CrazyTrain said:

Good luck,
    Merritt </div></div>

Second- I've always used blue loctite on every screw- why should I not use loctite on the upper scope ring screws? </div></div>

See the part where he said "scope screws FOR SCOPE CAPS"? LOL </div></div>

I'm a little slow today...
    My wife says it's early onset Alzheimers...

Thats odd. I'm finding almost the exact opposite about whether it helps or hurts to run these from the majority of what I've read. I agree that regular ammo will break a barrel in just fine but these do basically the same thing just ALOT faster. While it seems it will sand your barrel, like you say it will, you do have the control to use 1 round or 100 rounds, if you chose, so exactly how much you decide to wear the barrel is up to the individual user. Kind of like sandpaper, you start with a rough sandpaper, then work your way down to polishing grits. With alot more regular bullets and alot more powder, primers, and time spent you'll end up with the same result; a broke in barrel.

LOL, it really sucks not having real world experience with this.

BTW, why would you say that breaking a barrel in is a myth "First, the process of breaking in a barrel by going through a "shoot and clean" ritual for um-teen rounds is a MYTH." then turn around and acknowledge it's existence "A barrel will break in just fine on it's own by just shooting normally."? Seems contradictory. Am I missing something?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyTrain</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    CrazyTrain said:

Good luck,
    Merritt </div></div>

See the part where he said "scope screws FOR SCOPE CAPS"? LOL </div></div>

I'm a little slow today...
    My wife says it's early onset Alzheimers... </div></div>

LOL, It's all good, man. I have terminal CRS so I'm not mad.
    smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Second, don't EVER run bullets that are specifically made to sand the rifling away from bore! You will be reducing the life of your barrel by hundreds, maybe thousands of rounds.
    A barrel will break in just fine on it's own by just shooting normally.

FWIW... </div></div>

The exception would be those rough as a cob savage barrels. borescope a savage barrel and then tell me what the Tubb system could possibly hurt.

Actually I was calling the "process" of shooting um-teen rounds with a specific "shoot and clean" interval a myth. Obviously barrels wear as you use them. I was just trying to say to shoot and clean as you normally would and your barrel will "wear" or "break in" on it's own.
    As far as the Tubbs issue, I just think it's a waste of barrel to purposely sand the rifling away. I understand the concept but How do you know when you've done enough. I guess if Savage barrels are that bad to begin with it may benefit. I was just pointing out what my research yielded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyTrain</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vinconco</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Tubbs final finish may have a positive effect.... </div></div>

I've seen this before but never known anyone to use it. Does it actually work as advertised and could it smooth out a button rifled barrel like Savages'?

Nevermind, just used the search on it. I think I'll try it for myself. <span style="font-weight: bold">Can't hurt anyways. </div></div></span>

Oh it will hurt, as it is wearing out your new barrel at an aggressive rate. Use normal bullets as that is what the barrel was intended to shoot by design!

There is no doubt as to the roughness of the stock Savage barrels but . . . there is also no doubt they shoot better than nearly all other factory stock barrels. Fact, plain and simple. And they shoot better with the same tool marks and same copper fouling.

As far as the Tubb finish goes, I probably wouldn't use that unless all other avenue's were tried and it was a last resort. They do what they claim, basically sand the inside of the barrel. If there is some problem that requires that action, then do it. Otherwise, there is no point.

I would still run the break in but wouldn't really go excessive about it. After 20 rounds, I'd call it good. Go have fun, come back when you run into a problem. That's my advice based on the last few years of learning non-stop in this sport.
    wink.gif

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyTrain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats odd. I'm finding almost the exact opposite about whether it helps or hurts to run these from the majority of what I've read. I agree that regular ammo will break a barrel in just fine but these do basically the same thing just ALOT faster. While it seems it will sand your barrel, like you say it will, you do have the control to use 1 round or 100 rounds, if you chose, so exactly how much you decide to wear the barrel is up to the individual user. Kind of like sandpaper, you start with a rough sandpaper, then work your way down to polishing grits. With alot more regular bullets and alot more powder, primers, and time spent you'll end up with the same result; a broke in barrel.

BTW, why would you say that breaking a barrel in is a myth "First, the process of breaking in a barrel by going through a "shoot and clean" ritual for um-teen rounds is a MYTH." then turn around and acknowledge it's existence "A barrel will break in just fine on it's own by just shooting normally."? Seems contradictory. Am I missing something? </div></div>

-You are correct in saying that one has <span style="text-decoration: underline">control</span> of whether they run 1 or 100 rounds of these sandpaper bullets. The problem is.. How many rounds of barrel life did that ONE sandpaper bullet use up vs. regular bullets? Reminds me of "measure twice & cut once" because you can't replace barrel material after it is gone.

The accuracy potential of that new barrel may never be realized if it started life with abrasive projectiles screaming down the pipe, and then compounded with maybe another & another... Be patient and let the barrel become "broken-in" shooting bullets that you would use on targets/animals/etc/etc.. The "procedure" of "breaking-in a barrel" shouldn't be viewed as a chore or a requirement when you get that new rifle or new barrel. Hell, go have a great time behind the rifle shooting targets with regular bullets & keep the barrel as cool as possible & clean as necessary. You can tell a lot of what is going on with your barrel with a small investment in a bore scope & what comes out of the muzzle on your cleaning patches.

I have a multitude of different rifles/calibers from several different manufactures & almost all of them wear aftermarket pipes. I do have a couple that are still on a factory pipe but I kept them that way because they shoot groups like a true custom. The past few years I have been building rifles from the ground up on custom actions & other custom components which are obviously a bit different than a mass produced barrel manufacturer. I just watch the heat of the barrel & keep it fairly clean for the first 20-30 rounds & then I stick with whatever cleaning regimen I have established based on how the rifle is shooting.. HEAT is murder, just don't overheat the pipe as much as possible.

I have a Remington 700 SA Varmint in .22-250 with 26" pipe that I bought new before they came out with the option of the tan stock. First thing I did was mounted up Leupold bases/rings & a 6-18x40 VX-II & handloads that worked very well in another .22-250 I have. The first shot was close to where I wanted it sighted for at 100 so I made the necessary adjustments & rounds 2-6 went 0.219" CTC. So I probably shot 40 rounds more worth of groups & they were all 3/8" or less with the majority at 0.250". I kept the gun cool & pretty clean.. Went out the same day & picked up a Shilen trigger which I installed and adjusted for 1.5#'s & the groups kept printing the same. I still have that rifle & haved modified my load & pretty much everything else but it still has the factory pipe printing 0.250"s all day long. I wish the thing would never burn out but it's due soon. I never did a complicated time consuming "break-in" procedure & it is fantastic up til this day shooting a pile of 0.125" groups not worth counting. I just keep it as clean as necessary & do not overheat the pipe.

Currently it is sitting as below: (Shoots like a hummer 6PPC)

Rem 700SA(non blueprinted)factory 26" varmint contour.
    Shilen Trigger
    HS Precicion Thumbhole Tactical/Varmint (completely bedded)
    Machined R-Lug
    Upgraded firing pin assem.
    PRI Picatinny 1pc base & PRI 30mm rings
    Leupold VX3 6.5-20X50mm
    30mm ACD
    Badger BM
    Badger TBK
    Rem J-Slot delete

41.2gns H380, sorted/BR prep Lapua brass, BR2's, Berger 55 Match seated into lands. (don't remember COAL of the top of my head)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LHill22250</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyTrain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats odd. I'm finding almost the exact opposite about whether it helps or hurts to run these from the majority of what I've read. I agree that regular ammo will break a barrel in just fine but these do basically the same thing just ALOT faster. While it seems it will sand your barrel, like you say it will, you do have the control to use 1 round or 100 rounds, if you chose, so exactly how much you decide to wear the barrel is up to the individual user. Kind of like sandpaper, you start with a rough sandpaper, then work your way down to polishing grits. With alot more regular bullets and alot more powder, primers, and time spent you'll end up with the same result; a broke in barrel.

BTW, why would you say that breaking a barrel in is a myth "First, the process of breaking in a barrel by going through a "shoot and clean" ritual for um-teen rounds is a MYTH." then turn around and acknowledge it's existence "A barrel will break in just fine on it's own by just shooting normally."? Seems contradictory. Am I missing something? </div></div>

-You are correct in saying that one has <span style="text-decoration: underline">control</span> of whether they run 1 or 100 rounds of these sandpaper bullets. The problem is.. How many rounds of barrel life did that ONE sandpaper bullet use up vs. regular bullets? Reminds me of "measure twice & cut once" because you can't replace barrel material after it is gone.

The accuracy potential of that new barrel may never be realized if it started life with abrasive projectiles screaming down the pipe, and then compounded with maybe another & another... Be patient and let the barrel become "broken-in" shooting bullets that you would use on targets/animals/etc/etc.. The "procedure" of "breaking-in a barrel" shouldn't be viewed as a chore or a requirement when you get that new rifle or new barrel. Hell, go have a great time behind the rifle shooting targets with regular bullets & keep the barrel as cool as possible & clean as necessary. You can tell a lot of what is going on with your barrel with a small investment in a bore scope & what comes out of the muzzle on your cleaning patches.

I have a multitude of different rifles/calibers from several different manufactures & almost all of them wear aftermarket pipes. I do have a couple that are still on a factory pipe but I kept them that way because they shoot groups like a true custom. The past few years I have been building rifles from the ground up on custom actions & other custom components which are obviously a bit different than a mass produced barrel manufacturer. I just watch the heat of the barrel & keep it fairly clean for the first 20-30 rounds & then I stick with whatever cleaning regimen I have established based on how the rifle is shooting.. HEAT is murder, just don't overheat the pipe as much as possible.

I have a Remington 700 SA Varmint in .22-250 with 26" pipe that I bought new before they came out with the option of the tan stock. First thing I did was mounted up Leupold bases/rings & a 6-18x40 VX-II & handloads that worked very well in another .22-250 I have. The first shot was close to where I wanted it sighted for at 100 so I made the necessary adjustments & rounds 2-6 went 0.219" CTC. So I probably shot 40 rounds more worth of groups & they were all 3/8" or less with the majority at 0.250". I kept the gun cool & pretty clean.. Went out the same day & picked up a Shilen trigger which I installed and adjusted for 1.5#'s & the groups kept printing the same. I still have that rifle & haved modified my load & pretty much everything else but it still has the factory pipe printing 0.250"s all day long. I wish the thing would never burn out but it's due soon. I never did a complicated time consuming "break-in" procedure & it is fantastic up til this day shooting a pile of 0.125" groups not worth counting. I just keep it as clean as necessary & do not overheat the pipe.

Currently it is sitting as below: (Shoots like a hummer 6PPC)

Rem 700SA(non blueprinted)factory 26" varmint contour.
    Shilen Trigger
    HS Precicion Thumbhole Tactical/Varmint (completely bedded)
    Machined R-Lug
    Upgraded firing pin assem.
    PRI Picatinny 1pc base & PRI 30mm rings
    Leupold VX3 6.5-20X50mm
    30mm ACD
    Badger BM
    Badger TBK
    Rem J-Slot delete

41.2gns H380, sorted/BR prep Lapua brass, BR2's, Berger 55 Match seated into lands. (don't remember COAL of the top of my head)
    </div></div>

I agree. See where I said, "I see yall's point about it being safer. I do. I'll hold off and keep researching it with end users before I risk this barrel. I'm in no hurry to make a huge difference right off the bat anyway."

I understand engineering and physics and I get the idea about you can take more but you can't put back so I'm going to worry about other aspects of the gun's accuracy like bedding it properly. It's probably going to outshoot me for a long time, if not forever, lol.

Here is a post Gale McMillan wrote back in 99 FWIW

Gale McMillan
    Senior Member posted September 25, 1999 10:10 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The break in fad was started by a fellow I helped get started in the barrel business . He started putting a set of break in instructions in ever barrel he shipped. One came into the shop to be installed and I read it and the next time I saw him I asked him What was with this break in crap?. His answer was Mac, My share of the market is about 700 barrels a year. I cater to the target crowd and they shoot a barrel about 3000 rounds before they change it. If each one uses up 100 rounds of each barrel breaking it in you can figure out how many more barrels I will get to make each year. If you will stop and think that the barrel doesn't know whether you are cleaning it every shot or every 5 shots and if you are removing all foreign material that has been deposited in it since the last time you cleaned it what more can you do? When I ship a barrel I send a recommendation with it that you clean it ever chance you get with a brass brush pushed through it at least 12 times with a good solvent and followed by two and only 2 soft patches. This means if you are a bench rest shooter you clean ever 7 or 8 rounds . If you are a high power shooter you clean it when you come off the line after 20 rounds. If you follow the fad of cleaning every shot for X amount and every 2 shots for X amount and so on the only thing you are accomplishing is shortening the life of the barrel by the amount of rounds you shot during this process. I always say Monkey see Monkey do, now I will wait on the flames but before you write them, Please include what you think is happening inside your barrel during break in that is worth the expense and time you are spending during break in

**** I am referring to factory barrels here, not high end aftermarket ones, those guys pretty much need little to no break in ****

I cannot say whether or not <span style="text-decoration: underline">you</span> are going to see much difference in accuracy, but I have noticed considerable differences in how easy broke in barrels are to clean compared to non broke in ones. On my last 2 Remingtons with factory barrels, I went from black nasty patches to patches with only 1/4 or so of the area dirty, I also noticed the brushes went from pretty darned resistant to having absolutely no resistance at all, even when replaced with brand new brushes the only way to get any real grab is to wrap a patch around the brush.

Here is the method I used:

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2109732#post2109732

One rifle that made a quick difference was a CMP re-arsenaled M1 Garand with Criterion Barrel. It went from 6" group to 3" in 15 rounds (Greek surplus ammo)of course it also went from throwing cases at 1 O'clock to 3 in that time frame and I know more than just the barrel was working in.

Words from a respected manufacturer on the subject:

http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Break_In__Cleaning-c1246-wp2558.htm

And Another:

http://www.bartleinbarrels.com/BreakInCleaning.htm

Another thread on Break in

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1562996#Post1562996

Free tip to reduce your workload and to nullify residues from corrosive ammo (if you shoot any war horses that use it) swab your bore down with a patch soaked in Kano kreeping oil just before going home, it will loosen up any packed in krud and reduce the number of cleaning cycles, it will also prevent damage to your bore from moisture or if you have an emergency and can't clean the bugger for a few days.

There is no way I would send a sand paper round down my tube. All I see that doing is risking damage and taking 100 of your total rounds off the life of the barrel. The round count I told you earlier in this post is the only way I'd go if I was you. You can do what you will but that's my opinion.

On the Vortex you have picked out. That is a SWEET set of glass and having a Vortex before I know they are high quality glass and a great customer service for the price. You will be happy with your rig as long as you do your part and make sure you bed your action into your stock properly. You're buying a rig that is almost perfect as it is so the rest is up to you.

For load development:

My goto load is the follows (load I used to shoot my 5rd 100yd goup in my sig):

168smk
    IMR 3031
    Winchestor brass
    CCI 200
    OAL: 2.807

What I'm working on now is:
    175SMKs and the 208 A-max
    However if my money comes in on my profit share I'm going to be ordering a new barrel so I may wait to complete load developement on them until I have the new barrel installed. Kinda leaning towards the new CBI barrel.

Good luck,
    Merritt

I hold with you dont break a Savage barrel in, you wear it down! Clean copper out once a year and just shoot. Run her dirty like the bullet slut she is.

Hard to swallow the Tubbs abrasive is able to cling onto the bullet past the throat, best I'd say is the voodoo might work on a rough throat.

And on barrel cleaning I found mine shoots the best when I clean every 100 or 120 rounds.

Good luck,
    Merritt

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I'll be doing it the safe way and using your load as a starting point and trying different things from there.

I really, really appreciate all yall's advice. It's probably saved me alot more than I know.

i broke my factory barrel in this way. i took it off and sold it then replaced it with a shilen select match hand lapped barrel.

if i hadnt, i would have just shot the factory one. i dont think i would have ever bore scoped it or paid money to buy tubbs. as far as reducing bore life, you have what, 10K lifetime on a 308 barrel? im mixed about this. on one hand its gonna take alot of copper to wear steel smooth. if the bore is rough, my first instinct is to smooth that down. but honestly, its a factory barrel. even if its the 5R, its a factory barrel. wear it out, shoot it out, sand it down, then buy a shilen. or walther-lothar. or kreiger. or mcgowan. or any of the others that are available. i broke my shilen in with 154 rounds on its first day. no waiting, no cooling. its a barrel. its steel. it wants to be shot. how do they hand lap anyway?

oh i started with 42g of varget and went to just under 46. i have a feeling that 44.8g varget under a 168g SMK will be the one

oh and yes about the scope. if you have a quality scope, that should not affect anything. look up the US optics tests on youtube. they toss it repeatedly off a stand onto the dirt. they remount it and it hits where it did before they took it off

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i broke my factory barrel in this way. i took it off and sold it then replaced it with a <span style="text-decoration: underline">shilen select match hand lapped barrel</span>.

if i hadnt, i would have just shot the factory one. i dont think i would have ever bore scoped it or paid money to buy tubbs. as far as reducing bore life, you have what, 10K lifetime on a 308 barrel? im mixed about this. on one hand its gonna take alot of copper to wear steel smooth. if the bore is rough, my first instinct is to smooth that down. but honestly, its a factory barrel. even if its the 5R, its a factory barrel. wear it out, shoot it out, sand it down, then buy a shilen. or walther-lothar. or kreiger. or mcgowan. or any of the others that are available. i broke my shilen in with 154 rounds on its first day. no waiting, no cooling. its a barrel. its steel. it wants to be shot. <span style="font-weight: bold">how do they hand lap anyway?
    </span>
    oh i started with 42g of varget and went to just under 46. i have a feeling that 44.8g varget under a 168g SMK will be the one

oh and yes about the scope. if you have a quality scope, that should not affect anything. look up the US optics tests on youtube. they toss it repeatedly off a stand onto the dirt. they remount it and it hits where it did before they took it off</div></div>

Shilen button rifles their barrels. As some of you know this is a process where a bullet shaped button attached to a rod is pushed through the pre-bored barrel hole. It takes a few passes with different size 'buttons' to get the barrel to the correct size, about .0001"-.0003" under size. Note that each pass through the barrel deforms the steel inside and work hardens it. Meaning you can start with a softer steel (same grade, i.e. 4140 CM or 416R etc. just not tempered as hard) The inside surface of a button rifled barrel is about the hardest you can get. You can work harden, by button rifling, the inside of a barrel much better than you can cut that same hardness of tempered steel. Cut rifling gives cleaner edges (rifling) though.

Lapping:

They then take the barrel and put a plug about 2" up the chamber end and fill that with a lead/antimony/polishing grit alloy with a rod inserted and allowed to harden. This 'alloy' forms to the shape of the barrel. The 'plug' is then pushed to the end of the barrel and pulled back several times, polishing the barrel along the way. It also takes a micro thickness each pass. Making it easier to push and pull the rod, as it brings the barrel diameter out to finished size.

FWIW, Savage does not have "rough barrels" And, I'll say too, no one from Savage is supposed to say that on the phone. They run a "finish button" down their barrels last specifically to help iron out any marks that could have been left from the buttoning process. There's a reason Savage barrels are out-shooting everything off the shelf right now. It's not lack of quality where quality counts. You have to get a good hand lapped barrel to beat one. That's why most of your modern custom barrels don't really need much of a break-in. Again, though, it's the people chasing that tiny little bit of extra accuracy that are going to need it.

With those processes noted, here's what a barrel break-in does. By cleaning the copper to bare metal, you expose more surface in the throat area to the fire following the bullet. The high speed impact of the bullet followed by the lands helps knock down the high spots. I said throat because by the time the bullet gets down the barrel a ways there isn't enough pressure or heat to do the same work that is done at the throat. Which goes back to my saying if you have rotten accuracy due to a rotten job of making the barrel, a break-in isn't going to help you.

All you are trying to do is polish/knock down the very minute high spots in the throat area. If you have to take all day to do this then you need to send the barrel back. It shouldn't ever take more than 40-50 rounds. One other thing a break in helps with is if you have a spot that tends to build up copper fouling on one side of the barrel more than the rest it will help keep the bullet going true down the barrel until that spot gets worn in. If the bullet is deformed in the slightest way it will travel differently out the rest of the barrel. Thus reducing consistency. It's not going to be huge but a wear pattern is created there. You want to avoid that if possible.

<span style="color: #3333FF">Edit:

Somewhere in there I forgot to mention the importance of a clean smooth cut when chambering the barrel. Especially the neck/leade/throat areas. The smoother the better.</span>

<span style="color: #6600CC">Edit II:

Using Tubbs barrel break in bullets might eat a lot more barrel than you may want to give up. They will knock down high spots though.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i broke my factory barrel in this way. i took it off and sold it then replaced it with a shilen select match hand lapped barrel.

if i hadnt, i would have just shot the factory one. i dont think i would have ever bore scoped it or paid money to buy tubbs. as far as reducing bore life, you have what, 10K lifetime on a 308 barrel? im mixed about this. on one hand its gonna take alot of copper to wear steel smooth. if the bore is rough, my first instinct is to smooth that down. but honestly, its a factory barrel. even if its the 5R, its a factory barrel. wear it out, shoot it out, sand it down, then buy a shilen. or walther-lothar. or kreiger. or mcgowan. or any of the others that are available. i broke my shilen in with 154 rounds on its first day. no waiting, no cooling. its a barrel. its steel. it wants to be shot. how do they hand lap anyway?

oh and yes about the scope. if you have a quality scope, that should not affect anything. look up the US optics tests on youtube. they toss it repeatedly off a stand onto the dirt. they remount it and it hits where it did before they took it off </div></div>

That's a pretty cool video. It's a hell of an advertising piece but they're not throwing it on the ground with the weight of the rifle attached. That's what I was thinking a scope wouldn't be able to handle without rezeroing. I can see it with a maybe a little 4x, maybe. I haven't found a video of anything like that yet but there are some cool Savage videos there.

My Savage has an accu-stock and I shoot it of a bipod and rear bag.The first thing I did was JB the barrel then broke it in.When I do every thing right and conditions are good it will shoot three shot groups better than 1" at 300yrds.I shoot 168 and 175 gr SMK's.All the barrels I have had will not shoot with a build up of copper, or lead in a .22 rimfire.I guess it depends on how good you want your rifle to shoot.I want mine to shoot better than I can shoot.