• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New Savage build in .223

7fingers

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2012
Ohio
I just finished putting together a .223 to use in our 1000yd matches at Rayners and thought you guys might like a look. I know that a .223 is not a fantastic thousand yard rifle but the guys that I shoot with decided that they would like to have a .223 1000 yard shoot, and besides that I also figured it would make a heck of a good ground hog rifle so it's kind of a win-win situation for me.
3e5380dce90e74dca9c2f43a08ae0a2f_zpse828573a.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that is awesome! Hoping to hear some long range shooting results soon with that rig! What kind of load in 223 will be needed to make it out that far? I happen to be local to you, and actually made it to Rayners Range for my first time last month. My regular range is Briar Rabbit in Zanesville. I recently got a Savage in 308 that I am hoping to be able to eventually make it out to 1000 yards with. I made a post not too long ago about the rifle if you want to check out my setup. Maybe I will see you and that rifle there sometime, cheers.

Just got back from Rayner's today and the little .223 did itself proud. We had hits clear out to 1040yds and hits on the 8" plate at 1000yds. I was surprised that the wind did not effect it as much as I had anticipated, it was really quite impressive. I am running 80gn Berger VLDs at 2830fps, I can't wait to see what this little rifle will do once I get the loads perfected a little more. As for the rifle, it is a Savage Target Action in a 7Finger Gen-I Chassis using a Savage 1:7 twist barrel that I picked up off of a buddy used. The glass is a Bushnell 6-24x50 Tactical Elite with the G2DMR reticle. I'm not real sure how many rounds have been through the barrel but it seems to shoot pretty well. For its maiden voyage I just stuffed the little 80s on top of 24.5gns of Varget and went out to play, I have not really grouped it yet as today was the first day it has been shot. We went to the hundred yard range got a zero and then headed to the course for playtime. I will get some groups on paper in the next week or two and see just exactly what it might be capable of. As for right now I'm loving this little gun.

Last edited: