• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes New scope for PRS

Mauser34

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2012
South Florida
Hey everyone,

I just bought a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 creed. I would like to get into PRS competitions. Unfortunately my budget is pretty tight for a scope. Here are my parameters:
Use-PRS
Budget- 400-500
Magnification- fixed or variable
Adjustment- mils
My main concern is getting a scope that can track well and be repeatable. Everything else is undecided. The 2 scopes I have been looking at so far ar SWFA SS and Athlon Argos BTR 6-24. I’m looking for some input from guys that compete.

Thanks

Interested to hear what competitors say. I would go with a 10x42 SWFA with the side focus or a 3-15 FFP SWFA because I think it would be more likely to be more reliable than Athlon. The Athlon definitely has the SWFA beat in features though.

For the most part, everything is a compromise of quality, features, and price. You want lots of features and really high quality, it's gonna be expensive. You want cheap and high quality, you're gonna give up some features. You want features and low price, you are going to give up in the quality department. I think the Argos is probably closest to the "more features, lower price" description and the SWFA is closest to the "high quality, low price" description, but those with more experience with Athlon might disagree with me. I'm looking for an Athlon Talos BTR for my brother's rifle, so I'm not anti-Athlon. Just don't have the same confidence in their reliability as SWFA.

If you can hold off till black friday, SWFA usually has a pretty good sale on most of their models. You could pick up their 3-15 FFP and it would fall right into your budget, sometimes their deal even includes rings/bubble level. SWFA scopes are rock solid and they track true which is what you will need for competition. Having a "lesser" feature set won't hold you back nearly as much as having a scope with questionable tracking and durability.

For your price range, I can vouch for SWFA. I own a 10x42 and a 3-15 with MilQuad reticle. They are awesome for the $$$ spent and you should wait until Black Friday or check the PX here. I bought my 3-15 in LNIB shape with a level and the ZS shims for $575 from another SH member

Hey everyone,

I just bought a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 creed. I would like to get into PRS competitions. Unfortunately my budget is pretty tight for a scope. Here are my parameters:
Use-PRS
Budget- 400-500
Magnification- fixed or variable
Adjustment- mils
My main concern is getting a scope that can track well and be repeatable. Everything else is undecided. The 2 scopes I have been looking at so far ar SWFA SS and Athlon Argos BTR 6-24. I’m looking for some input from guys that compete.

Thanks

You are correct that the Argos BTR is a good option, however, as a member here it would be our pleasure to assist you and put you into a Athlon Helos BTR 6-24x50 , which is a step up, and keep you in your price range :)

Please give me a call to discuss what would be best for you

Thank you for your continued support.
If there is anything else we can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Rd
Old Bethpage NY 11804
516-217-1000
Please visit our website @ www.cameralandny.com

You are correct that the Argos BTR is a good option, however, as a member here it would be our pleasure to assist you and put you into a Athlon Helos BTR 6-24x50 , which is a step up, and keep you in your price range :)

Please give me a call to discuss what would be best for you

Thank you for your continued support.
If there is anything else we can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Rd
Old Bethpage NY 11804
516-217-1000
Please visit our website @ www.cameralandny.com

My son has a Helos and it is a lot of scope for the money. I think he spent $500 on it.

I'd be looking at SWFA SS 3-15x42FFP. That is more or less your only way to get a reliable FFP scope in your price range, unless you find a used Athlon Ares BTR.

ILya

Thanks for all of the input. I won’t be buying until after the holidays. I think I am leaning towards a straight power SWFA. I would like the reliability of the SWFA over the features of the Athlon. I was a designated marksman in the Marines, so I’m used to no features and straight power.

Are there any other scopes I should be looking into?.