• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New scope for the AR-10...Nightforce ??

Thoughts on an SHV 4-14 F1 or 5-20? Seems like a great scope used that doesn't cost a ton. Anyone have a red dot at 45 deg or on top of the scope? How much do you actually use it? I feel like the 4-14 would handle 90% of situations as a 16" 308 is 800-1000 yd gun max.

Thoughts on an SHV 4-14 F1 or 5-20? Seems like a great scope used that doesn't cost a ton. Anyone have a red dot at 45 deg or on top of the scope? How much do you actually use it? I feel like the 4-14 would handle 90% of situations as a 16" 308 is 800-1000 yd gun max.

I have a T1 on my Tangent. I use it on days I wanna jus plink 50-100 yards standing. Mostly 50 though.. I’d go with a 5-20 if your still wanna mount a red dot. My scope is a 3-15. And even at 3 times, it’s still not fast enough for CQ.

17E02B90-D09D-4833-A92F-CE874C2D6A28.jpeg

Last edited:
I think the SHV in those ranges is good. The SHV isn’t their top stuff but still good. I don’t have a 45deg red dot. It applicable for me. I wouldn’t use mine for CQ. I just shoot it long range. Plus I hunt with mine. If I need something at 50yds, I have a 4x scope on it that works. It’s also illuminated so that covers darker situations. For me, the 45deg sight is one more thing to hit.

I have a gen 1 Vortex PST 6-24 and a NF Atacr 5-25, both SFP. If I needed another long range scope, I'd probably go the PST route again. Sure, the NF has better glass, but for non competitive target shooting to 1000 I think the PST is the better value.

Hi there!

Just got a new custom made 18” AR-10 in .308 about a month ago, and I am torn on what scope I want to throw on it!

I live in Texas and This gun will primarily be used for hunting whitetail out to about 300 yards. Varmits / pigs out to 600 yards and steel out to about 900 / 1K (I don’t need to hit the steel accurately, just do it for fun)

I have been doing TONS of research and am pretty much stuck between the Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42 f1 and the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42.

I have never physically seen or held either of these scopes, and would love to hear from someone that has used them.

I will be walking around the ranch / hunting in a blind / driving around with this rifle so having an overly heavy rifle is less than ideal. It’s at 8 pounds as is, so it won’t be the lightest rifle, and that’s fine, but I certainly don’t want something that it super unwieldy.

Would love to have the ATACR’s 16x, but I hear it’s pretty heavy. Some folks say its perfect for the AR and some say it’s too heavy.

I do love the weight of the NXS, but wish it had just a couple more degrees of magnification.

Fell in love with the Leupold Mark 6 on paper, but after reading too many negative reviews about tracking issues, I decided NF might be the way to go. Not really looking to spend above the ATACR range.

Would love to get yalls thoughts and opinions! Am open to hearing about other scopes that might fit my needs well!

Thank you!!

I have an older model Nikon Tactical 2.5-10X44 on my Armalite AR-10. I first mounted it with a Larue QD setup, but since I use it for the "new" F-AR discipline, I replaced that heavy Larue mount with a pair of Burris XTR Signature rings.

My Armalite has a 20 inch barrel, it's the older and now discontinued B model. Since yours has an 18 inch, I'm guessing it's the A model. So, what bullet are you loading to get to 1000 yards with an 18 inch barrel? In order to staty at Mag length, I use the 175 BTHP in mine, but I have no intention of going to 1000 yards with it as it's going to be barely supersonic.

The 10X of my old Nikon has been quite sufficient for 300 yards and I have yet to try 600 yards with it, but since the targets are the huge NRA MR-1, I think 10X will be plenty.

I've also taken my Armalite deer hunting (the very few times that I hunt) and it's heavy, because it has a heavy 20 inch barrel on it. It comes in around 11-12 pounds with the scope installed, and the bipod off . Here is a picture with the Larue mount. I have since replace the grip and the stock. That Nikon Tactical 2.5-10X44 is a big scope.

DSC_0897.jpg

I have a gen 1 Vortex PST 6-24 and a NF Atacr 5-25, both SFP. If I needed another long range scope, I'd probably go the PST route again. Sure, the NF has better glass, but for non competitive target shooting to 1000 I think the PST is the better value.

I respectfully could not disagree more.
The NF has a true zero stop, not a stack of shims that develop slop as they compress, the glass on the NF is far superior, and you’re still getting the legendary ruggedness of the NF.
I think for $950-$1000 the NF SHV is a monster scope.
My PST experience left me very leery of anything Vortex, with the exception of the Razor line.

As to the SHV, had one, only sold it to a buddy who shoots it on his .308 gas gun, to upgrade to an ATACR. Still see the scope, buddy loves it.

• Angry
Reactions: Currycure
NF SHV, (in pic below on bolt gun) or Bushnell 6-24 (in pic below on LR308) in the $700-$1100 range, or NF NX8 for a bit more coin. 30mm tube and a NF unimount or similar.

Attachments

• AR_308.jpg
    AR_308.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 223.jpg
    223.jpg
    544.8 KB · Views: 56
I have an older model Nikon Tactical 2.5-10X44 on my Armalite AR-10. I first mounted it with a Larue QD setup, but since I use it for the "new" F-AR discipline, I replaced that heavy Larue mount with a pair of Burris XTR Signature rings.

My Armalite has a 20 inch barrel, it's the older and now discontinued B model. Since yours has an 18 inch, I'm guessing it's the A model. So, what bullet are you loading to get to 1000 yards with an 18 inch barrel? In order to staty at Mag length, I use the 175 BTHP in mine, but I have no intention of going to 1000 yards with it as it's going to be barely supersonic.

The 10X of my old Nikon has been quite sufficient for 300 yards and I have yet to try 600 yards with it, but since the targets are the huge NRA MR-1, I think 10X will be plenty.

I've also taken my Armalite deer hunting (the very few times that I hunt) and it's heavy, because it has a heavy 20 inch barrel on it. It comes in around 11-12 pounds with the scope installed, and the bipod off . Here is a picture with the Larue mount. I have since replace the grip and the stock. That Nikon Tactical 2.5-10X44 is a big scope.

View attachment 7115945

I havn't seen the old Nikon Tactical in a long time. It was a very solid scope for the time and should still work well.

ILya

Reactions: Denys
I havn't seen the old Nikon Tactical in a long time. It was a very solid scope for the time and should still work well.

ILya
It's an amazing scope and I hve been using it since about '05. I have the illuminated reticle and I've gone hog hunting at night with it. Brought down a 275 pounder at full gallop at midnight with a Scirocco 75gr @ 85 paces. The other guys could not see anything in their scopes, I could; it was like shooting fish in a barrel.

What kind of mount do you have your ATACR in on your Noveske?
For the 16x i used a Spuhr Cantilever 1.50 height.

But for the new 8x. I am trying a QD cantilever spurhr

Attachments

• 20200305_203225.jpg
    20200305_203225.jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 40
Are you using the 1-8 for your 308? If so what do you like better about than the 4-16?
The rifle has seen so many optics. Still not happy.

Mro patrol with mag-not clear dot with mag
Then he 16x atacr/rmr- it was top heavy felt off balanced.
Then a Mk6 18x/DPP-good set up. May go back.
Elcan 6x that i had laying around. Looked odd. But made me realize maybe a lower mag would be fine.

Now 8x atacr-glass is great. More 1x then most other 1x i have looked through. Daylight bright dot. Only drawback is it looks odd. Huge ass. Short tube. I would really like to try a MK8 8x with H27 or CMR. And would be willing to work a trade.

Good feedback. I have a Noveske N6 Switchblock, I am looking for an optic for. For what is worth the 4-16 looked like sweet on the gun.
Personally like the MK6/DPP more. And much lighter.

Attachments

• 20190605_143850~2.jpg
    20190605_143850~2.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 55