• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes New scope mount help. Remington 700 5R

Mmq31

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2012
Looking for the most cost effective scope mount for my 5R. Looking for a one-piece picatinny short action scope mount. They range from $40-200. Want a good one and dont want to cheap out or break the bank.

Advice??

Re: New scope mount help. Remington 700 5R

Arguably the best = Seekins for alloy...Badger Ordnance for Steel.

On the "cheap" but still of reasonable quality = EGW or Weaver Tactical.

Remember...BUY ONCE, CRY ONCE!!!
wink.gif

Leupold Mark 4 15-moa base is around $125, but you can often find them for around $100 here on the Hide. They are steel, and work very good.

I put a tps steel 20moa on my savage 10fp along with a set of their steel rings. The alloy versions can be had for more budget minded or ounce shaving folk. Just what I have and it works how its supposed to.

I enjoy my badger rings with my NF. I have also heard great things about the lower cost EGW products as well.

*buy once cry once.

Seekins all the way. I've used TPS stuff in the past but after purchasing some Seekins recently I wouldn't use anything else.

if you are not going to run a dbm, please think about a 2 piece scope base.

i wish i had gone 2 piece makes it easier to top load your ammunition

On my 5r I have a 20 MOA Nightforce base with Burris rings. Spent less than $200 for everything.

Seekins is my first choice. I like their fit and finish. I also have badger and NF, which are fine- of course.

I would fixed with my current Based and Ring.

Badger also available Aluminum Ring for Competition Shooting.

I use Badger Ring (Steel) in my XCR with Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50mm ER/T for Tactical shooting / Hunting and use Badger Ring (Aluminum) in my LB Tactical Recon with NightForce BR 8-32x56mm for F-Class.

Both provide the same result but the Aluminum will help you to reduced weight for competition.

Just recently put Seekins on my 5r and have been quite impressed. Fit & finish is top notch at least as good as Badger, better finish.

The Nightforce or Badger bases would both serve you quite well for a base. I'd go with a steel base and some kind of lighter weight ring (like NF Ultralite or Badger alloys). I've only played with the Seekins a little bit, but they seem to make nice stuff as well.

-Sean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billbhoag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just recently put Seekins on my 5r and have been quite impressed. Fit & finish is top notch at least as good as Badger, better finish. </div></div>

What size screws is the 5R receiver tapped for?
Seekins makes them in 6-48 and 8-40. (I think all Remington 700s are 6-48, right?)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LanceS4803</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What size screws is the 5R receiver tapped for?
Seekins makes them in 6-48 and 8-40. (I think all Remington 700s are 6-48, right?)</div></div>

They should be 6-48. My 5r was 6-48 and my current LTR is also 6-48

Thanks much.
Picking up a 5R on Monday and starting to get all the bits and pieces together.

Burris Tactical 2 piece, all steel, nice finish (not stainless). $28 (even on e-bay)