• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes New scope mount help. Remington 700 5R

Mmq31

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2012
Looking for the most cost effective scope mount for my 5R. Looking for a one-piece picatinny short action scope mount. They range from $40-200. Want a good one and dont want to cheap out or break the bank.

Advice??

Re: New scope mount help. Remington 700 5R

Arguably the best = Seekins for alloy...Badger Ordnance for Steel.

On the "cheap" but still of reasonable quality = EGW or Weaver Tactical.

Remember...BUY ONCE, CRY ONCE!!!
wink.gif

Leupold Mark 4 15-moa base is around $125, but you can often find them for around $100 here on the Hide. They are steel, and work very good.

I put a tps steel 20moa on my savage 10fp along with a set of their steel rings. The alloy versions can be had for more budget minded or ounce shaving folk. Just what I have and it works how its supposed to.

I enjoy my badger rings with my NF. I have also heard great things about the lower cost EGW products as well.

*buy once cry once.

Seekins all the way. I've used TPS stuff in the past but after purchasing some Seekins recently I wouldn't use anything else.

if you are not going to run a dbm, please think about a 2 piece scope base.

i wish i had gone 2 piece makes it easier to top load your ammunition

On my 5r I have a 20 MOA Nightforce base with Burris rings. Spent less than $200 for everything.

Seekins is my first choice. I like their fit and finish. I also have badger and NF, which are fine- of course.

I would fixed with my current Based and Ring.

Badger also available Aluminum Ring for Competition Shooting.

I use Badger Ring (Steel) in my XCR with Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50mm ER/T for Tactical shooting / Hunting and use Badger Ring (Aluminum) in my LB Tactical Recon with NightForce BR 8-32x56mm for F-Class.

Both provide the same result but the Aluminum will help you to reduced weight for competition.

Just recently put Seekins on my 5r and have been quite impressed. Fit & finish is top notch at least as good as Badger, better finish.

The Nightforce or Badger bases would both serve you quite well for a base. I'd go with a steel base and some kind of lighter weight ring (like NF Ultralite or Badger alloys). I've only played with the Seekins a little bit, but they seem to make nice stuff as well.

-Sean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billbhoag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just recently put Seekins on my 5r and have been quite impressed. Fit & finish is top notch at least as good as Badger, better finish. </div></div>

What size screws is the 5R receiver tapped for?
Seekins makes them in 6-48 and 8-40. (I think all Remington 700s are 6-48, right?)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LanceS4803</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What size screws is the 5R receiver tapped for?
Seekins makes them in 6-48 and 8-40. (I think all Remington 700s are 6-48, right?)</div></div>

They should be 6-48. My 5r was 6-48 and my current LTR is also 6-48

Thanks much.
Picking up a 5R on Monday and starting to get all the bits and pieces together.

Burris Tactical 2 piece, all steel, nice finish (not stainless). $28 (even on e-bay)